Last Call (Destiny 2 Teaser) (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:00 (2584 days ago)
edited by breitzen, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:04

Last Call (Destiny 2 Teaser)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:04 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

Wow. That got me hyped a lot faster than I was expecting.

Same

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 20:26 (2584 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Cabal on Earth (and in the City) confirmed... Welp.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:04 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by Korny, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:52

A flash of the Tower getting destroyed, and you can even see a destroyed portion of the wall... Huh.

That may be my favorite trailer ever.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:18 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

Love Cayde. That was perfect.

ODST and Halo 3 still my favs

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:27 (2584 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

That may be my favorite trailer ever.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 20:28 (2584 days ago) @ bluerunner

Love Cayde.

Likewise, it's got me thinking that if I'm settled down and playing games again by the time this comes out, I might have to run my Hunter as my main.

Yeah... that question of Destiny 2's "tone"...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:19 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

... this is not what I was hoping for.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:32 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Point taken. That said, what vanilla Destiny lacked that most Bungie games have had was humor. I welcome all things Cayde.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:35 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

Point taken. That said, what vanilla Destiny lacked that most Bungie games have had was humor. I welcome all things Cayde.

Umm, Grunts? Destiny has no grunts so arguably it has less humor.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:37 (2584 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Umm, Grunts? Destiny has no grunts so arguably it has less humor.

Umm, read my post again?

I can't read apparently :P

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:58 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Sad, contrived him into a glorified caricature/cartoon char.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:34 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:42 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I'm fine with humour... this just isn't funny, IMO.

It's one thing to have Cayde crack jokes while standing around in the tower, but having him get drunk in a bar mid-battle while the last city on earth is falling is just lame, IMO.

^ This ^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:47 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's one thing to have Cayde crack jokes while standing around in the tower, but having him get drunk in a bar mid-battle while the last city on earth is falling is just lame, IMO.

Is it mid-battle? Is he getting drunk? Man, you guys are wound tight.

[lets loose Caydesque heavy sigh]

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:51 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

Is it mid-battle? Is he getting drunk? Man, you guys are wound tight.

[lets loose Caydesque heavy sigh]

Well, it very clearly is mid-battle, right? Hense the gunfire and explosions :)

I'm not wound up about it, I just think what Destiny needs even more than humour is strong world-building, and a teaser that treats the destruction of the last city as a joke is moving in the opposite direction. Yes, it's just a teaser, but a teaser like this has months of thought put into it. I just hope it isn't representative of the tone of the game, that's all :)

^ This ^

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:58 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Meh. Cayde-6 has never been serious. Fortunately, there's Zavala and Ikora and Eris and the Speaker and the faction representatives and Petra and Variks and Uldren and Mara and Maya to balance him out. I get what you're saying, but I'd bet you the most expensive version of Destiny 2's deluxe editions that the full trailer will not carry the same tone.

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:00 (2584 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Meh. Cayde-6 has never been serious. Fortunately, there's Zavala and Ikora and Eris and the Speaker and the faction representatives and Petra and Variks and Uldren and Mara and Maya to balance him out. I get what you're saying, but I'd bet you the most expensive version of Destiny 2's deluxe editions that the full trailer will not carry the same tone.

I bet you're right. I'm sure the full trailer will have the typical "epic space opera" tone.

The subject ^ This ^ makes it look like you all agree

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 06:14 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

So much ^ This ^! ;)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 12:53 (2584 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

^ This ^

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 06:15 (2584 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Still, knowing the difference between all those characters and Cayde, they chose Cayde for this trailer. That says something.

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:13 (2584 days ago) @ narcogen

Still, knowing the difference between all those characters and Cayde, they chose Cayde for this trailer. That says something.

I mean, he's sort of an obvious choice because he's just about the only character in Destiny that isn't a cardboard cutout. Within the context of TTK, his personality worked. But over the course of that expansion, he had plenty of "serious" dialog too. Even so, I found his "woah, look at me! I'm whacky and charming and just making jokes about everything all the time" schtick almost went too far. Since then, I thought his dialogue in the taken-infied Nexus strike to be downright obnoxious. Who needs meaningful dialogue or good writing when you can just count on Fillion to ham it up in the recording booth and improvise a few 1-liners, right?

Between that and this new teaser, I don't like the trajectory I'm seeing. But maybe it'll be totally different in the actual game. Again, I'm not worried or worked up or upset (I feel like I need to keep saying that, because some people are reacting as if I'm frothing-at-the-mouth, up in arms about this ;p). All I'm saying is I didn't like it, and those are my reasons. No big deal.

^ This ^

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:16 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Who needs meaningful dialogue or good writing when you can just count on Fillion to ham it up in the recording booth and improvise a few 1-liners, right?

I'm with you, man. I love Nathan Fillion as much anyone, but this isn't what I want. Yeah, it's a teaser, I get it. And I even liked it! We know we can get both, we played ODST and saw Sgt. Buck. This isn't that, sadly.

As always, I'll reserve judgment for the final game, but I hope it's not like this.

^ This ^

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:59 (2584 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Remind me when we actually meet Maya again?

I don't have time to explain that.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:08 (2583 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Uh…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:10 (2583 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Isn’t the leading theory that Maya is The Stranger? So…

• On Venus in the Archives
  • At the Tower after the Black Garden
  • And she was waiting for us when we were discovered by our Ghost (but we didn’t know that)

Uh…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:15 (2583 days ago) @ Beorn

Isn’t the leading theory that Maya is The Stranger? So…

• On Venus in the Archives
  • At the Tower after the Black Garden
  • And she was waiting for us when we were discovered by our Ghost (but we didn’t know that)

Remember when I got chewed out for saying Anna instead of Elizabeth? We are apparently supposed to refer to characters as they appear at any given time in the story.

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:55 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Yall are all zavala up in here

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:03 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

+1

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 20:31 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

C'mon! Pull the stick out of your butt! :)

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:10 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This vid is a commercial and plays well with Cayde's style.

I hope D2 is at least half as funny as that Ad.

More Clyde please.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:43 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I don't know how you contrive someone into something, but I disagree.

lighten up francis, it's just promotional material

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:45 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

it's in the same tone as the ads for D1 with the live action guardians

remember "Anyone speak space turtle?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ people can do the carlton in front of Oryx...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:46 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

See, now that is funny. Just not as a promo teaser/trailer

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:51 (2584 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:07

- No text -

I'm not sure how I feel about that either, lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:07 (2584 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Says the guy who has always been known for dancing in Raids.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:22 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Don't you miss the days when I couldn't talk? ;p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:33 (2584 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I was worried as the teaser image was a bit grim dark

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:43 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

But... that happened three years ago...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:01 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:12 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Would have been better if they would have ended it immediately after Cayde said, "Well, better get back to it." I loved it up until we realize Cayde stopped for a drink mid-battle. I would have enjoyed it more if he were doing this during down time after the battle, they could have then had the attack on the bar commence and Cayde could utter his "welp, better get back to it" line without the guardians fighting in the background.

It's a nuanced thing. Still really enjoyed it.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:55 (2584 days ago) @ dogcow

Would have been better if they would have ended it immediately after Cayde said, "Well, better get back to it." I loved it up until we realize Cayde stopped for a drink mid-battle. I would have enjoyed it more if he were doing this during down time after the battle, they could have then had the attack on the bar commence and Cayde could utter his "welp, better get back to it" line without the guardians fighting in the background.

This is what I thought. He went from the snarky Hunter who may not take much of anything seriously, but gets crap done when it needs to get done, to Deadpool. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Deadpool, but he's kind of an unreliable asshole and that's not who I thought Cayde-6 was supposed to be.

-Disciple

This. This exactly.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 20:17 (2584 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

This is what I thought. He went from the snarky Hunter who may not take much of anything seriously, but gets crap done when it needs to get done, to Deadpool. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Deadpool, but he's kind of an unreliable asshole and that's not who I thought Cayde-6 was supposed to be.

-Disciple

You've just nailed the exact issue that made me roll my eyes at the teaser... I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. It feels to me like somebody in Bungie and/or Activision's marketing department said "hey, Deadpool is popular, right? Let's make something like that."
I don't have a problem with taking the teaser in a comedic direction... this just didn't feel at all like Destiny in any way.

Just to be clear, I'm not making a big deal about it. It's just a teaser, and if people like it that's great! I'm just not a fan, and was struggling to figure out exactly why until I read Disciple's post.

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 06:12 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm a little confused about your conspiracy theory. Did Bungie somehow determine that Deadpool would be popular when they created Cayde-6 pre-2014? Because Cayde-6's character has not changed. Telling stories and acting goofy is who he is. And who he has always been.

You don't want all of Destiny 2 to be Cayde-6 being silly? Cool. But even suggesting that this is some stupid marketing ploy? Not cool. You're reaching. Big time.

Reference: Cayde-6's story about the his fight against the Hive alongside a Fallen Baron.

This. This exactly.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:19 (2584 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm a little confused about your conspiracy theory. Did Bungie somehow determine that Deadpool would be popular when they created Cayde-6 pre-2014? Because Cayde-6's character has not changed. Telling stories and acting goofy is who he is. And who he has always been.

You don't want all of Destiny 2 to be Cayde-6 being silly? Cool. But even suggesting that this is some stupid marketing ploy? Not cool. You're reaching. Big time.

Reference: Cayde-6's story about his fight against the Hive alongside a Fallen Baron.

The difference is timing. Cayde-6 is my favorite character in the game. I love that he's irreverent and does his own thing, but he always does his own thing to get the job done the way he thinks it should be done. There's a difference between going rogue and stealing someone's ship for a potential suicide mission because there's no way you'll get official approval for the mission and stopping mid-fight, leaving the rest of the guardians to fight for the last remaining city on Earth without you, so that you can have a drink and make a joke.

If the clip had taken place after the fall of the last city and he was just casually joking about the last of humanity being wiped out because "Y'know that bat-shit crazy plan we came up with to save the day? Heh. Yeah, didn't work", that would have felt like Cayde-6. This isn't Cayde. This is Exo-Deadpool.

-Disciple

This. This exactly.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:51 (2584 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Reference: Cayde-6's story about his fight against the Hive alongside a Fallen Baron.

The difference is timing. Cayde-6 is my favorite character in the game. I love that he's irreverent and does his own thing, but he always does his own thing to get the job done the way he thinks it should be done. There's a difference between going rogue and stealing someone's ship for a potential suicide mission because there's no way you'll get official approval for the mission and stopping mid-fight, leaving the rest of the guardians to fight for the last remaining city on Earth without you, so that you can have a drink and make a joke.

If the clip had taken place after the fall of the last city and he was just casually joking about the last of humanity being wiped out because "Y'know that bat-shit crazy plan we came up with to save the day? Heh. Yeah, didn't work", that would have felt like Cayde-6. This isn't Cayde. This is Exo-Deadpool.

-Disciple

If I felt it were Exo-Deadpool, I wouldn't like it either. I guess it's a fine line. One could legitimately criticize Cayde for what he does in-game, too: nearly getting you killed and being unapologetic about it during the Dreadnaught mission.

I don't think I agree with some of your interpretations regarding the teaser. I don't know that he stopped mid-fight or that he necessarily left the rest of the guardians to fight without him. In the fog of war, any number of things could happen. Not that Destiny should be held to a strict standard of realism, but most of war is waiting for something to happen. It's possible to miss the action, to get lost, to find a bar with its hooch intact and its robot custodian working away. It's also completely possible and likely, knowing Cayde, to deal with his near-death by telling the story of it in his own inimitable style as a way of coping.

At this point, though, I think I'm over-analyzing what is simply a fun teaser.

This. This exactly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:03 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

It's hard to tell whether Cayde is an asshole or not because none of the other characters really react to him meaningfully. I don't actually know the effect of his actions in that regard.

Reactions.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 22:46 (2583 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's hard to tell whether Cayde is an asshole or not because none of the other characters really react to him meaningfully. I don't actually know the effect of his actions in that regard.

That's why my favorite character isn't Cayde.

It's Eris.

Not Deadpool, he's Gus from Lonesome Dove

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:08 (2583 days ago) @ Kermit

Gus (Robert Duvall) is an old Texas Ranger turned rancher. In his old days, he fought in the Indian wars. He makes light of every situation. He likes drinking, gambling and loose women. He likes to delegate chores to the younger folk and sit on the porch and make commentary about the way it should be done. But when SHTF, he jumps back into action. Even when on his death bead with an arrow in his leg, he's still making wisecracks.

Not Deadpool, he's Gus from Lonesome Dove

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:00 (2583 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Gus (Robert Duvall) is an old Texas Ranger turned rancher. In his old days, he fought in the Indian wars. He makes light of every situation. He likes drinking, gambling and loose women. He likes to delegate chores to the younger folk and sit on the porch and make commentary about the way it should be done. But when SHTF, he jumps back into action. Even when on his death bead with an arrow in his leg, he's still making wisecracks.

It's how some people deal with things. Hell, it's how I deal with things.

Lonesome Dove is a fantastic novel!

This. This exactly.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:23 (2584 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Reference: Cayde-6's story about the his fight against the Hive alongside a Fallen Baron.

There's a big difference between a game featuring a character that is sometimes irreverent and cracks jokes, vs basing the entire tone and style of a trailer around that character's personality. To put it another way, I think this teaser would have been absolutely perfect for a Cayde 6 spin-off game. But DESTINY isn't Cayde 6. The game, the story, the world, none of it fits the tone of that trailer.

And saying a trailer reminded me of Deadpool is hardly a conspiracy theory. It's just an obvious similarity. Who knows if it was actually intentional or not... my money is on the idea that it was intentional, but I'm not standing on a mountain proclaiming it as TRUTH. You seem to be taking this far more seriously than I intended... can't a guy say he doesn't like something? Sheesh! :)

This. This exactly.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:19 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

can't a guy say he doesn't like something? Sheesh! :)

Around Raga? No.

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:43 (2583 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Totally uncalled for. I'm not the only one disagreeing with him here. Heck, I even think he'd be justified if this was the only thing we got until E3 (or whenever) or if the real trailer continues this flippant tone.

Kinda seems that Raga is not allowed to have an opinion pretty often, according to some around here, as well. :/

This. This exactly.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:57 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Kinda seems that Raga is not allowed to have an opinion pretty often, according to some around here, as well. :/

No, it's just that Raga calls people idiots for voicing their opinion. Or maybe that was just me.

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:45 (2583 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No, it's just that Raga calls people idiots for voicing their opinion. Or maybe that was just me.

Oh heck no. I said:

And, if you'd waited two days and said the same thing it would have made sense.

And guess what? Once we actually saw what the Age of Triumph was, I found myself in complete agreement with you. I'm playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. And not returning to Destiny to complete the biggest book ever! But I also didn't declare things two days before I had all the info just so I could be "that guy."

This. This exactly.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:49 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Oh heck no. I said:

And guess what? Once we actually saw what the Age of Triumph was, I found myself in complete agreement with you. I'm playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. And not returning to Destiny to complete the biggest book ever! But I also didn't declare things two days before I had all the info just so I could be "that guy."

Except you are also giving people a hard time for their opinions on a thing that IS OUT (the teaser), because other stuff hasn't come out yet. I haven't seen anyone say "Destiny 2 is going to suck, I can tell because I don't like the teaser". A few people are saying they don't like the teaser itself, and you are telling them they are wrong.

This. This exactly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:03 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Except you are also giving people a hard time for their opinions on a thing that IS OUT (the teaser), because other stuff hasn't come out yet. I haven't seen anyone say "Destiny 2 is going to suck, I can tell because I don't like the teaser".

As someone who knew parts of Destiny would suck all the way back in 2010, the fact that I'm not even remotely prepared to say that Destiny 2 sucks should illustrate how inconsequential this teaser really is. Let's wait till tomorrow for the actual reveal.

This. This exactly.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:55 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Oh heck no. I said:

Yeah, but what was the title of that post? FWIW, there aren't any hard feelings, really. I can only assume I have the reputation of being negative about Destiny, and you like to come to Destiny's defense. It's not a big deal. I was mostly poking fun anyway--I suppose a smiley face in my reply to Cruel would have been appropriate.

I'm playing Mass Effect: Andromeda.

How is it? I'm on the fence about getting it. I don't care about all the wonky animations, but the stuff I've seen of the game just doesn't seem all that good to begin with. I've watched a few sections of some let's plays, and Giant Bomb's quick look and all the writing seems bad and uninteresting, but I realize that just watching some videos doesn't necessarily showcase that stuff well.

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:13 (2583 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh heck no. I said:

Yeah, but what was the title of that post? FWIW, there aren't any hard feelings, really. I can only assume I have the reputation of being negative about Destiny, and you like to come to Destiny's defense. It's not a big deal. I was mostly poking fun anyway--I suppose a smiley face in my reply to Cruel would have been appropriate.

Cool.

I'm playing Mass Effect: Andromeda.

How is it? I'm on the fence about getting it. I don't care about all the wonky animations, but the stuff I've seen of the game just doesn't seem all that good to begin with. I've watched a few sections of some let's plays, and Giant Bomb's quick look and all the writing seems bad and uninteresting, but I realize that just watching some videos doesn't necessarily showcase that stuff well.

I'll do a full write of ME:A later. The short version is:

1. The writing / story / gameplay is right in line with past Mass Effects, baring the obvious new combat changes and additions (like the jump jet) which I thought were very much a positive. It's not industry leading but it's also far better than a few of those reviewers who savaged it were saying. It did take a while for me to grow to know the characters but by the end I enjoyed who they all are.
2. I love the return to ME:1-ish exploration and driving around planets and crafting and complexity. In a lot of ways, I think ME:A is what Mass Effect always wanted to be... or at least what I always wanted it to be.
3. With no spoilers, I thought it ended very strong and also did a good job of recognizing that you might continue playing even after finish up the main storyline.

This. This exactly.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:27 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

1. The writing / story / gameplay is right in line with past Mass Effects, baring the obvious new combat changes and additions (like the jump jet) which I thought were very much a positive. It's not industry leading but it's also far better than a few of those reviewers who savaged it were saying. It did take a while for me to grow to know the characters but by the end I enjoyed who they all are.
2. I love the return to ME:1-ish exploration and driving around planets and crafting and complexity. In a lot of ways, I think ME:A is what Mass Effect always wanted to be... or at least what I always wanted it to be.
3. With no spoilers, I thought it ended very strong and also did a good job of recognizing that you might continue playing even after finish up the main storyline.

Man, that's really pushing me towards getting it. The combat stuff is whatever. I mean, I'm glad it's okay, but that's the least important part of Mass Effect to me. I like exploring and finding all the stories the game tells. I guess I've only really seen the first hour or so of the game, plus some random bits here and there from Let's Plays, but I just didn't find any of the characters likable or interesting or particularly well written. Like I said, that's hard to judge from just watching a few videos, but most of the reviews seems to focus on how the game doesn't really bring it in that regard.

Partly, it's also just the fact that we're in a post The Witcher 3 world now, and that game is the standard for interesting characters and interesting stories for me now (whereas it probably was Mass Effect 1 and 2 before).

I've got a $30 credit at Gamestop, so picking Mass Effect Andromeda for $30 is pretty tempting . . .

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:41 (2583 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah. I think it does suffer a bit in a post Witcher 3, post Life Is Strange world. I think it's a fine entry to the series that can't really be expected to have characters with the familiarity and history that Garrus or Tali or Liara or Joker have in ME:3. Maybe it's not strictly necessary that the next entry in the series steps thing us a bit... but there is a small sense that it would be nice if Bioware did so...

There was a point maybe 30% through that I was wondering a little if maybe they hadn't focused enough on the characters. But then the loyalty missions started kicking in Mass Effect 2 style (with each major character requesting you help them with an important issue) and those missions ranged from good to terrific to outstanding. And following that, it felt like each character got some more fun moments spread around. Not always full missions, but smaller interactions that were still fun and sometimes meaningful.

By the end, maybe none of the characters had reached the same level of familiarity as what the returning characters in ME:3 felt like, but those guys had three games to get there! I very much want another story with most or all of the Andromeda characters so they cancome back and be familiar and say "Just like old times" or whatever.

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:38 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Teaser. It is a teaser for the actual reveal. If this was it. If this was the reveal trailer then sure, you might have something. But this is the 30 second thingy that came a couple of days after the initial image and that's announcing the real 5 minute thingy.

It's like you're someone who doesn't like snow and is judging Destiny based on the initial concept image of the Eliksni and their Spider Tank trudging through that blizzard.

This. This exactly.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:48 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Teaser. It is a teaser for the actual reveal. If this was it. If this was the reveal trailer then sure, you might have something. But this is the 30 second thingy that came a couple of days after the initial image and that's announcing the real 5 minute thingy.

Sure. And I didn't like it. Why is that impossible for you to accept? It's a thing Bungie made and released. But I'm not allowed to have an opinion of it because it is short? Because it's setting up something else?

It's like you're someone who doesn't like snow and is judging Destiny based on the initial concept image of the Eliksni and their Spider Tank trudging through that blizzard.

It's not like that at all, and for a guy who just accused me of "reaching", that's a pretty rediculous thing to say.

I didn't like the teaser. I didn't find it funny. I don't like the tone or feel of it. That's all. Am I giving you a tough time for enjoying it? I easily could. But I'm not going down that road. I just expressed a casual opinion, and my reasons behind it. I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me.

This. This exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:04 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sorry, I think we're digging in a bit too much... disagreeing a bit too harshly when we don't mean to. So, maybe let me reset things a bit?

- I respect your opinion that you didn't like the tone.
- I liked it more than you did, but I too would have liked to see a bit more of a serious hook at the end to transition from Cayde-6's silliness to the reality of The City being under attack.
- I think you are being very open minded and are anticipating the full trailer like all of us are.
- I think you will make a fair assessment of that trailer once it comes out tomorrow.

- I think our main point of actual disagreement is that this teaser was based on something else (deadpool) as I think it is very much in line with Cayde-6's character as established in the Grimoire and later in his expanded in-game role starting with The Taken King.

And, I apologize for things getting to where they have. Not my intention. And I honestly can't wait to read your opinion of the full trailer. I really hope it does set a more serious tone that we both enjoy.

Appreciated, and likewise :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:14 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sorry, I think we're digging in a bit too much... disagreeing a bit too harshly when we don't mean to. So, maybe let me reset things a bit?

- I respect your opinion that you didn't like the tone.
- I liked it more than you did, but I too would have liked to see a bit more of a serious hook at the end to transition from Cayde-6's silliness to the reality of The City being under attack.
- I think you are being very open minded and are anticipating the full trailer like all of us are.
- I think you will make a fair assessment of that trailer once it comes out tomorrow.

- I think our main point of actual disagreement is that this teaser was based on something else (deadpool) as I think it is very much in line with Cayde-6's character as established in the Grimoire and later in his expanded in-game role starting with The Taken King.

And, I apologize for things getting to where they have. Not my intention. And I honestly can't wait to read your opinion of the full trailer. I really hope it does set a more serious tone that we both enjoy.

Just for the sake of clarity (because you point to it as the main disagreement):

I don't think the teaser was "based on Deadpool" as you put it. I suspect the marketing team took note of how popular Deadpool is at the moment and said "hey, we have a guy kinda like that in Destiny, let's really play that up for the D2 teaser". Subtle destinction, but hopefully that makes where I'm coming from more clear :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:29 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just think Cayde is simply Space Malcolm Reynolds (which is very distinct from regular Malcolm.. somehow) + a little extra ham to be on the safe side. We're talking about the character that said "Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I haven't seen Deadpool. Don't want to. And don't know the history of the character or his characterization in the past. It just irks me somehow that a Nathan Fillion character, especially western-ish hunter Cayde-6, would be compared to anybody other than Malcolm Reynolds. :p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:34 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I just think Cayde is simply Space Malcolm Reynolds (which is very distinct from regular Malcolm.. somehow) + a little extra ham to be on the safe side. We're talking about the character that said "Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I haven't seen Deadpool. Don't want to. And don't know the history of the character or his characterization in the past. It just irks me somehow that a Nathan Fillion character, especially western-ish hunter Cayde-6, would be compared to anybody other than Malcolm Reynolds. :p

One could argue that Malcome Reynolds is basically a PG-13 Deadpool ;p

(^ not really, but Deadpool was doing that sort of irreverent humour long before Firefly)

Also, for anyone saying "it is just a teaser"...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:33 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:43

Teasers matter. As someone who has made quite a few teasers and trailers over the years, I know a thing or two about how they work.

They matter for a few reasons, chief among them being the fact that the people making the trailer have a very short, narrow window to tell the audience something about the product they are promoting. So, whatever they do show has been very carefully selected. A full-blown trailer will provide more detailed info, an overview of the plot, in the case of a videogame there will usually be some representation of gameplay so the audience has an idea of the kind of game they might be buying.

But a teaser has a more narrow focus. A teaser typically has 3 primary goals:

1) To announce a product

2) To "tease" or generate curiosity, building anticipation.

3) To communicate something about the core identity of the product

This last point is key to our discussion here. Teasers don't usually have enough time to communicate much info about the plot or story arch of a game. They might give us a basic premise as a starting point (in this case "The Cabal are attacking the city"). So instead, teasers usually rely on TONE to communicate as much as they can. They provide a glimpse into the mood, the atmosphere, the visual style of the game. It is important for the tone of a teaser (or a trailer) to match the tone of the actual game because game creators are selling an experience, and the teaser is supposed to build hype for the kind of experience the consumer get if they choose to buy the game. If the teaser doesn't match the tone of the product, then they run the risk of being called out for blatant false-advertising and pissing off customers.

So again, looking back at this Destiny 2 teaser, I see 2 possible realities, both of which are problematic to me personally. Either:

1) The teaser IS representative of the game (as all teasers should be), in which case I worry that I personally will not enjoy the tone of Destiny 2,

or

2) The teaser doesn't match the tone of the game at all (thus failing one of the most important goals of any teaser)

So either it's a great teaser of a game that doesn't appeal to me personally, or it is a trailer that doesn't actually communicate anything about the tone or mood of the game (which to me would make it a bad teaser). I think scenario number 2 is far more likely which is why I don't think it is a good teaser.

The idea that a teaser is meaningless or doesn't say anything about the full game is simply false.

+1 well said

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 22:52 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:33 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Hey bud, I truly look forward to the day when we can hang out together in person, but now I’m a little worried that I might use the wrong fork. ;)

Your argument is well articulated, and I can relate to the impulse to further explain your point of view given the pile-on here, but I have quibbles. A rule you left out is that a teaser must ENTERTAIN. By that metric, this teaser succeeds like gangbusters IMHO. Also, the need to adhere to your other rules might be dependent on the whether it’s a new brand. Destiny is not a new brand. Yes, having Cayde acting like Cayde in a teaser could be sending terrible/horrible signals regarding the tone of the entire game, or it could just be a duck acting like a duck. I could easily argue that it signals that the game will focus on character this time around (which is great!), but both hypotheses might be wrong. I share your hope that that there is some gravitas to go with the levity (Cayde and Eris need each other), and Bungie has been explicit from the beginning that the challenge they set for themselves was to create a post-apocalyptic world that was fun to be in. This teaser doesn’t signal to me that they’ve given up on that task. Like you, looking forward to the full trailer.

Kerm

P.S. More thoughts on Deadpool ‘cause I can’t help myself. Sure, there is overlap between Deadpool and Cayde-6, but Deadpool bores me in that his schtick seems rooted in juvenile irreverence—Look ma! I gots a potty mouth! I see Cayde as a spin on Malcom Reynolds who was a spin on Han Solo who was a spin on wisecracking rascals who know how to handle a gun going WAY BACK. He’s a much more interesting character to me.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:51 (2583 days ago) @ Kermit

Hey bud, I truly look forward to the day when we can hang out together in person, but now I’m a little worried that I might use the wrong fork. ;)

Don't worry, I forgo eating utensils all together ;) Miss you too, my friend :)

Your argument is well articulated, and I can relate to the impulse to further explain your point of view given the pile-on here, but I have quibbles. A rule you left out is that a teaser must ENTERTAIN. By that metric, this teaser succeeds like gangbusters IMHO. Also, the need to adhere to your other rules might be dependent on the whether it’s a new brand. Destiny is not a new brand. Yes, having Cayde acting like Cayde in a teaser could be sending terrible/horrible signals regarding the tone of the entire game, or it could just be a duck acting like a duck. I could easily argue that it signals that the game will focus on character this time around (which is great!), but both hypotheses might be wrong. I share your hope that that there is some gravitas to go with the levity (Cayde and Eris need each other), and Bungie has been explicit from the beginning that the challenge they set for themselves was to create a post-apocalyptic world that was fun to be in. This teaser doesn’t signal to me that they’ve given up on that task. Like you, looking forward to the full trailer.

Kerm

All good points. In my head, the need to entertain with a teaser rolled into point number 2 on my list, but I suspect Bungie wanted to lean into that specific aspect as hard as possible. That still doesn't solve my personal quibbles with the teaser (I didn't find it funny or entertaining), but that's just personal tastes and preferences. :)

P.S. More thoughts on Deadpool ‘cause I can’t help myself. Sure, there is overlap between Deadpool and Cayde-6, but Deadpool bores me in that his schtick seems rooted in juvenile irreverence—Look ma! I gots a potty mouth! I see Cayde as a spin on Malcom Reynolds who was a spin on Han Solo who was a spin on wisecracking rascals who know how to handle a gun going WAY BACK. He’s a much more interesting character to me.

I don't think Cayde is that similar to Deadpool, really. A totally agree with all the comparisons you made. The teaser, however, has a striking similarity to the Deadpool movie to me. There's just something about the editing, the framing, the script... it just hit me that way :)

There are 6 ducks out there and they all want Sun Chips!*NM*

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 13:01 (2583 days ago) @ Kermit

"I find that duck's opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. A Duck loves bread, but he doesn't have the capability to buy a loaf"

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 13:51 (2583 days ago) @ Kermit

Sure, there is overlap between Deadpool and Cayde-6, but Deadpool bores me in that his schtick seems rooted in juvenile irreverence—Look ma! I gots a potty mouth!

This is what's bugging me. I like Deadpool and I like Cayde-6, but I like them for different reasons because they were two different characters.

Deadpool is completely in it for himself. He'll do whatever he wants whenever he wants if he thinks it's fun or will benefit himself in some way.

Cayde-6 is pretty much Exo-Mal. He's got his own way of doing things. His actions may not be completely on the up-and-up, but in the end, he does what he does to get the job done and take care of his team.

Everything we've seen or read about Cayde-6 before the trailer has fit the Captain Mal personality. Sitting out of a fight for a gag, though? That's a Deadpool move.

-Disciple

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 14:40 (2583 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Sure, there is overlap between Deadpool and Cayde-6, but Deadpool bores me in that his schtick seems rooted in juvenile irreverence—Look ma! I gots a potty mouth!

This is what's bugging me. I like Deadpool and I like Cayde-6, but I like them for different reasons because they were two different characters.

Deadpool is completely in it for himself. He'll do whatever he wants whenever he wants if he thinks it's fun or will benefit himself in some way.

Cayde-6 is pretty much Exo-Mal. He's got his own way of doing things. His actions may not be completely on the up-and-up, but in the end, he does what he does to get the job done and take care of his team.

Everything we've seen or read about Cayde-6 before the trailer has fit the Captain Mal personality. Sitting out of a fight for a gag, though? That's a Deadpool move.

-Disciple

I hear you. Maybe I love him so much I give him the benefit of a doubt, but I thought there was lull in the fighting, and then the action came to him. Probably what tilts things in favor of your interpretation is "Cayde, any day now" at the end, but I saw that as a reaction to his pace at that moment, and his reaction as in line with the Exo-Mal character.

20 minutes until the trailer! Whoopee!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 14:47 (2583 days ago) @ Kermit

I hear you. Maybe I love him so much I give him the benefit of a doubt, but I thought there was lull in the fighting, and then the action came to him. Probably what tilts things in favor of your interpretation is "Cayde, any day now" at the end, but I saw that as a reaction to his pace at that moment, and his reaction as in line with the Exo-Mal character.

20 minutes until the trailer! Whoopee!

Yeah this was my exact interpretation of it. There's no real proof one way or the other, because, as stated, it's a teaser, so they purposefully don't give a lot of context.

This. This exactly.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:06 (2583 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And saying a trailer reminded me of Deadpool is hardly a conspiracy theory. It's just an obvious similarity. Who knows if it was actually intentional or not... my money is on the idea that it was intentional ...

Can't be intentional. I didn't much care for Deadpool and I loved the teaser, so IT'S NOT POSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE INTENTIONAL. ;)

:)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:09 (2583 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

To be fair, Deadpool has been horrifically popular for years

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 23:41 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I remember seeing people walking around the mall wearing Deadpool t-shirts in 2007. He was in that Wolverine movie because he was popular. He had a video game because he was popular. The movie was just the ultimate peak.

Not the point of the argument, or really even any important element of it, but he's been one of the biggest comic book characters since the mid 2000s, when Marvel really started pushing him into a lot of stuff.

Sgt. Johnson was never a negative in my book.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 22:47 (2584 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Johnson and the "I'm a cowardly fool!" PoA crewmember and Cayde allow me to laugh at the game, which for me, makes for a more rounded experience of fun.

I find light-heartedness actually enhances the darker moods and drama of something. I get to breathe a sigh of relief and then am pulled back into the tension. Otherwise, tension all the time wears itself out and "dark, moody" can come across pretentious and over-bearing. One of my major complaints in games I've played recently is this exactly. I feel like the designer's hand is trying to squash me into the ground. It makes me yearn for the old UNSC's optimism despite their whole species being wiped out! :)

You see this in TV and film, too. Game of Thrones would have turned me off long ago if Tyrion wasn't there mocking the characters and events as they happen. And then, when the shit DOES hit the fan and even he is freaked, it's that much more shocking (like an event that causes him to puke afterwards - it's then that it feels like the audience really has a horse in the race.)

Also, guys! :) I'm pretty sure this is just fun! Non-canonical Fun! After re-watching all of Westworld where not one single joke is uttered, by golly I'm in need of it! :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 23:19 (2584 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 23:23

As you noted, knowing when to stop is important. If you don't, then it trivializes the conflict. Notice how the Marines in Aliens stop the wisecracking when shit hits the fan.

I am tired of characters who are always cool, and always badass. Give me Indiana Jones where half the time in Raiders he looks terrified he's going to die. I'll take that over ObiWan who cuts through battledroids like butter and cracks jokes while completely surrounded.

Humor must also be natural. It's guardians of the galaxy vs ghostbusters reboot. There's a reason why one of these tanked and will be forgotten, while the other was beloved and got at least two sequels. This feels more like trying too hard. If the character wouldnt say it if they were real and nobody was watching, then it's not natural.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 00:03 (2584 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sure, I agree along the lines of Raiders/Obi-Wan, but this trailer is pure fun and made me laugh. In fact, it felt very much in the style of Star-Lord and Guardians of the Galaxy to me. :) Also, it's pretty hard to say what films will be forgotten when they just came out last year!

Also, and perhaps MOST importantly, nothing about this trailer says it is anything but a joke. Sgt. Johnson's Bip Bop Bam was also not representative of ODST's tone, and I never thought it was, just like this trailer.

(And even if it is representative of more humor in Destiny, I welcome it! When I was most engaged with Halo, Grunts screaming and Johnson jokes (which I wouldn't call naturalistic) didnt detract, it actually added a unique soul, one that I missed in Halo 4.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 00:05 (2584 days ago) @ Leviathan

Sure, I agree along the lines of Raiders/Obi-Wan, but this trailer is pure fun and made me laugh. In fact, it felt very much in the style of Star-Lord and Guardians of the Galaxy to me. :) Also, it's pretty hard to say what films will be forgotten when they just came out last year!

Also, and perhaps MOST importantly, nothing about this trailer says it is anything but a joke. Sgt. Johnson's Bip Bop Bam was also not representative of ODST's tone, and I never thought it was, just like this trailer.

(And even if it is representative of more humor in Destiny, I welcome it! When I was most engaged with Halo, Grunts screaming and Johnson jokes (which I wouldn't call naturalistic) didnt detract, it actually added a unique soul, one that I missed in Halo 4.)

Yeah I'm not too worried just yet. Right now I'm just looking forward to seeing the game in action.

And yeah. It helps to have a good soul / essence.

So much this

by Avateur @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 01:04 (2584 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Avateur, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 01:08

Great post. While the teaser did nothing for me as far as hype (Bungie lost a lot of good will with Destiny 1), it did make me smile and got me interested and looking forward to Thursday. Destiny needs more/better humor, but it also needs to seriously knuckle down on story and making the player feel like something is actually at stake and that there's a cost to failure (and maybe even success). Destiny 1's gameplay had soul. I hope they can expand that to the rest of the world in Destiny 2.

Oh, and nah, Cody is totally right about Ghostbusters. If remembered, it'll be for all the things it did wrong.

Lighten up!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:47 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Do what I do, and quit trying to see Destiny as this moody, gritty space opera that should be taken seriously. Dancing Guardians are canon, and the game can balance gravitas and comedy well. Heck, we could have a crazy bleak beginning that could still blend with this teaser (remember the moments of levity in the final battle in Horizon Zero Dawn).

Had to do the same thing with Warframe, which has some beautiful music, and really heavy story moments that have brought people to tears, then has characters and dialogue that would fit in perfectly into an episode of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and often all within the same scene:

Gotta remember that Destiny has always had some pretty corny dialogue (and humor) throughout, especially during TTK.

Lighten up!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:54 (2584 days ago) @ Korny

Gotta remember that Destiny has always had some pretty corny dialogue (and humor) throughout, especially during TTK.

Hey, I'm light! :) I just don't dig the cornball, eye-roll enducing attempt at humour as the first unveiling of D2, that's all. I'm allowed to not like something without being told it's my fault I don't like it, right? :)

Lighten up!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:57 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Hey, I'm light! :) I just don't dig the cornball, eye-roll enducing attempt at humour as the first unveiling of D2, that's all. I'm allowed to not like something without being told it's my fault I don't like it, right? :)

Nah. You should still probably feel bad for not liking it.

(only partially joking ;-) )

b/c D1 was soo serious..

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:11 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

VENUS BABY!!

b/c D1 was soo serious..

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:14 (2584 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I loved these. They were so great. I feel this teaser is in line w/ that sort of humor.

b/c D1 was soo serious..

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:20 (2584 days ago) @ dogcow

I loved these. They were so great. I feel this teaser is in line w/ that sort of humor.

The big difference to me (and I'm not sure why it hits me so hard) is those live-action trailers were an approximation of me playing the game with my friends. But this trailer is featuring Cayde, a major character in the Destiny universe, and is taking place during an actual catastrophic event in Destiny 2's story. That just doesn't sit well with me [shrug]

b/c D1 was soo serious..

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:28 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The big difference to me (and I'm not sure why it hits me so hard) is those live-action trailers were an approximation of me playing the game with my friends. But this trailer is featuring Cayde, a major character in the Destiny universe, and is taking place during an actual catastrophic event in Destiny 2's story. That just doesn't sit well with me [shrug]

A character where all of his actions are totally in line with how Bungie has built him up over 3 years. He doesn't ask for permission. He steals when necessary and avoid apologizing for his own errors. He is afraid of Eris, and nothing else. Him stopping for a drink during a lull in combat seems pretty spot on to character.

b/c D1 was soo serious..

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:28 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yup, I get what you're saying & I kind of agree. It could have been better IMHO (but I still really liked it).

b/c D1 was soo serious..

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:54 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Cruel and I are peas in a pod on this one.

It didn't strike me well at all. Cayde being irreverent but always knowing what really matters and when to throw down has been the impression I've been given of his character all along. It actually almost seems out of character to me, because as far as we know, what's left of true humanity (being that Guardians are no longer human) is apparently in the process of being ground into paste under Cabal treads. And he's stopping for a drink.

But he's supposed to be the guy with scouts. He's supposed to know the secrets, or at least some of them, and always have his ear to the ground, right?

But hey, good time to knock one back. Why is everyone so grumpy? A guy has one drink...

~m

Venussss!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:26 (2584 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Are these 3 Guardians the exact same as on Destiny 2 poster?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 13:34 (2583 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Last Call (Destiny 2 Teaser)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:24 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

I'm starting to lose believability in Cayde's stories...

Also, :56—"I drunk better when I'm drive!!"

XD

Haha! Awesome.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:25 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

Looking forward to some Mombassa / Alexandria-style urban warfare, hopefully with some new vehicles!

Awesome

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:33 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

Tells us nothing important about the game really, but fun nonetheless. Also, we aren't going to get a super dark Destiny, the whole point of the game is to be able to blast and relax with your friends.

Loved the music.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:16 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

Can I just say I loved the background music? Reminds me of when Led Zeppelin gets real bluesy. Very "Since I've Been Loving You"-ish.

I can't wait till they actually announce the game.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:28 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

How kind of them to reveal on my Birthday

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:46 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Can Exos get drunk?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:18 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

How's that work anyway?

i thought he was drinking diesel or something

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:26 (2584 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Antifreeze

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:35 (2584 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Riot juice

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:42 (2584 days ago) @ marmot 1333

You can make your own!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:49 (2584 days ago) @ bluerunner

How Has No One Else Mentioned This?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 21:25 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

They still have vinyl records in the 29th century?

How Has No One Else Mentioned This?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 21:29 (2584 days ago) @ Morpheus

They still have vinyl records in the 29th century?

It's like they don't realize 44.1khz 16 bit digital audio is literally better than Vinyl in every metric.

That is a fantastic video!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 21:55 (2584 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

For Those Of You Upset...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 21:41 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

I see everybody going into debate about this and its seriousness/lack of one, Cayde's character, etc. But I feel I have to remind everyone, that this is just a trailer—a teaser trailer at that. This stuff isn't guaranteed.

Remember the Face-Off? or Believe? etc.?

Just hype, and/or discussion. If Cayde becomes an asshole in ViDocs, streams, the beta(if there is an open one), then we can get upset.

But for now, let's just drink....whatever the hell that was that Cayde never really took a sip of, lean back in our chairs...and play this damn Crota raid.

;-D

For Those Of You Upset...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:33 (2583 days ago) @ Morpheus

But for now, let's just drink....whatever the hell that was that Cayde never really took a sip of, lean back in our chairs...and play this damn Crota raid.

I like to imagine if he had taken a drink it would've just fallen out of his mouth, his mouth doesn't really look well designed to hold fluids.

maybe it's just an inner monologue...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:45 (2583 days ago) @ Xenos

and he's really just standing there looking like this:

[image]

and then Zavala is all like "Wake up, Barbie. We've got Cabal incoming"

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:08 (2583 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

New Cabal Enemy Type?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 21:59 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

I expect to get new combatant variants and I don't really recognize this guy's head shape. Thoughts?

[image]

New Cabal Enemy Type?

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 22:09 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

Not to mention that the weapons appear to be melee. Which we've had one Cabal enemy who is melee-ish?

The look almost apears like a Fallen meshed wih Cabal.

Reminds me of a Borderlands Goliath "Let's make face gravy!"

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 23:25 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 23:29

I expect to get new combatant variants and I don't really recognize this guy's head shape. Thoughts?

[image]

The red appearance makes me think that it is a SIVA'd -up type of new enemy?
Maybe it will be Bane-like and is powered by SIVA induced 'roid rage.

[image]

I'm fine with it.

by BigFloatyThing, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 09:15 (2584 days ago) @ breitzen

I'm fine with it, and I say that as someone who isn't always the biggest Buck/Cayde/Fillion fan (practically seditious, I know.) I don't hear the sounds of a pitched battle while he's talking, and if anything, it seems like this particular battle is over and there are some last elements being mopped up, and/or that maybe he's just there waiting for the enemy to reach his location for whatever reason -- I don't really get any sense that he's taking a break to enjoy a pan-galactic gargle blaster while Ikora and Zavala are still in the middle of the fight.

Zavala would have been better.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 13:59 (2583 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Confirmed by actual trailer.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:54 (2582 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread