Destiny 2: Playstation Timed Exclusive Content (Destiny)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 11:31 (2575 days ago)

"Timed exclusive content until at least Fall 2018"

F U

Prepare your Sensory Deprivation Chambers...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 11:41 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

[image]

effin a

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 12:18 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

On the bright side...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 12:51 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

*Checks off square in Bungie 2017 Bingo Card*

Ooh, That Reminds Me!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:48 (2574 days ago) @ CyberKN

Is that solo raid considered a "game-breaking exploit"?

;-)

I am SUPER close.

Destiny 2: Playstation Timed Exclusive Content

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 12:58 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

F U

I wouldn't even care if it weren't for the "at least" part. Since this was the last major update, I'm assuming we're never getting the Year 2 exclusives. I think I'm going to wrap up the Age of Triumph event and just be done with Bungie for awhile.

-Disciple

This better be false.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:36 (2575 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

F U

I wouldn't even care if it weren't for the "at least" part. Since this was the last major update, I'm assuming we're never getting the Year 2 exclusives. I think I'm going to wrap up the Age of Triumph event and just be done with Bungie for awhile.

-Disciple

Bungie has said, more than once, that 'timed exclusive' isn't the same as 'exclusive'. It is NOT okay with me if one platform gets more content than the other one, in perpetuity. (I was already pretty annoyed with 'until at least 2016' that then got extended another year.)

I'd consider this a lie, I think. It might be the first real one. (If it comes to pass, of course.)

RIP Jade Rabbit

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:49 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Agreed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:03 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It goes back to the early alpha stuff and early beta stuff. Why the heck is my money worth less than someone else's?! At this point, I am really tempted to not pick up Destiny 2 until at least 2018. (Obviously, now that I've said that, some amazing special edition preorder bonus will be announced tomorrow and I'll have to scramble to get it... like last time...)

Agreed.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:44 (2575 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Obviously, now that I've said that, some amazing special edition preorder bonus will be announced tomorrow and I'll have to scramble to get it...

Yeah. I've pretty well decided to skip out on Destiny 2 if Bungie isn't going to set a date for the PS4 exclusives to make it to Xbox this time, but man do I want that Gamestop Preorder bonus Cayde-6 figure :p

-Disciple

ebay it

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:53 (2575 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

I hate those big head things and will actively avoid them...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:46 (2575 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

you are a bad person

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:49 (2575 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I identify very strongly with Darth Vader when he said...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:45 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

DO NOT WANT!!!

Just when I thought Funko Pops couldn't get any uglier . . .

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:55 (2575 days ago) @ Ragashingo

These things come along.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I honestly struggle to see what anyone finds appealing in that cheap crap.

Those aren't Funko, but Destiny Pop! figures are coming

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:54 (2574 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

This better be false.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:11 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'd consider this a lie, I think. It might be the first real one. (If it comes to pass, of course.)

"You can go to Saturn"
"Rich cinematic storytelling" (This one is on the box)

:-p

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:08 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

While it wouldn't be impossible, the continuing of timed exclusives lessens my hope of cross-platform character saves.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:19 (2575 days ago) @ bluerunner

While it wouldn't be impossible, the continuing of timed exclusives lessens my hope of cross-platform character saves.

It's entirely doable, depending on the nature of the exclusives themselves. Having another Hawkmoon? Cross-play is highly unlikely. Having a bunch of unique armor sets? Totally possible to cross-play.

And it's been done before: PC-exclusive Founders content exists in the PS4 version of Warframe. While we have no way to obtain it (and never will), we can still play with the people who DO have it, and there is zero negative effect... Then again, the content is completely unavailable in the Xbox version, which has zero ties to the PC version, so who knows *squints at Microsoft*...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:25 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

And it's been done before: PC-exclusive Founders content exists in the PS4 version of Warframe. While we have no way to obtain it (and never will), we can still play with the people who DO have it, and there is zero negative effect... Then again, the content is completely unavailable in the Xbox version, which has zero ties to the PC version, so who knows *squints at Microsoft*...

microsoft is a damn fool for not ponying up. Destiny is arguably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) games of the past 3 years. MS should've ponied up and gotten D2 to be an "Xbox Anywhere" title. Xbox Anywhere has kinda been a flo; having cross-play on D2 (at least PvE, PvP might not be fair with mouse/keyboard) would have been huge.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:46 (2575 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox tried... but Sony knows this too and I bet they were willing to throw any amount of money at bungie/Activision to keep the exclusive content. I know Phil Spencer (head of Xbox) loves Destiny. I'm willing to bet Sony simply outbid Microsoft (plus they have D1 partnership so its easier to "stay the course" than flip exclusivity).

At this point I now fully expect PS to always have exclusives in Destiny.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:07 (2575 days ago) @ breitzen

They flipped CoD exclusives to PS at the same time as Destiny got the PS Exclusive. So i imagine that is all on the activision side and yeah, I can totally see that it was almost definitely an outbid of some kind.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:09 (2575 days ago) @ breitzen

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox tried... but Sony knows this too and I bet they were willing to throw any amount of money at bungie/Activision to keep the exclusive content. I know Phil Spencer (head of Xbox) loves Destiny. I'm willing to bet Sony simply outbid Microsoft (plus they have D1 partnership so its easier to "stay the course" than flip exclusivity).

Yep. I'm still surprised that people are surprised.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:20 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Speedracer513, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:25

Yep. I'm still surprised that people are surprised.

This exactly.

I REALLY hope this is the last round of DBOers expressing surprise and disappointment in the timed exclusivity stuff. There is no excuse going forward for not understanding that it will continue to be a thing.

Edited to add: I don't fault the Xbox players for being displeased with the arrangement, nor for continuing to play on Xbox for their plenty of valid reasons. But this isn't going away and it doesn't make Sony (nor Bungie, nor Microsoft) evil. No reason to continue to be surprised, and no reason to keep the salt going. Salt isn't going to change the arrangement, and if it really matters to you to have "the full experience" it is completely within your power to do something about it.

Anger != Surprise

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:22 (2575 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:13 (2575 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I REALLY hope this is the last round of DBOers expressing surprise and disappointment in the timed exclusivity stuff. There is no excuse going forward for not understanding that it will continue to be a thing.

I am going to continue to be saltly about this arrangement when it screws people out of content on a full year+ increment. I'm paying the same amount of money and getting a lesser experience. The "at least until fall 2016" has worked out real well for the multiplayer maps, strikes, exotic weapons and the associated grimoire points for us xbox players. Don't think I'm upset about it being only screwing over the xbox players. If the exclusivity was on the xbox side instead I'd still be upset about this practice. PS players don't get the exclusive strikes as a nightfall strike, Xur hasn't sold the exclusive exotic weapons as far as I know. PS players get shafted from the full experience also.

You are basically saying to get over it and shut up. Sorry, but that's not how anything gets done when you are hoping to see change.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:19 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

You are basically saying to get over it and shut up. Sorry, but that's not how anything gets done when you are hoping to see change.

The only thing that talks is money.

Remember when Blizzard had that RealID thing? Do you know why they dropped it? It's because people canceled pre-orders in huge numbers.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:20 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

What I'm saying is that it clearly is not going to change - especially not based on salty expressions on the internet. If it really matters to you to have all that content for your $60, and you continue to not do something that you can control about that, then you need to start directing your anger at yourself.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:07 (2575 days ago) @ Speedracer513

What I'm saying is that it clearly is not going to change - especially not based on salty expressions on the internet. If it really matters to you to have all that content for your $60, and you continue to not do something that you can control about that, then you need to start directing your anger at yourself.

People have been salty about this since the original "Xbox players butthurt thread" well before Destiny's launch, and have failed to put the whole thing into perspective since then.

"I don't want to get a PS4 for the full experience!"

"Okay, well then you won't get the PS4 exclusive content that Sony paid for."

"That's not fair!"

*Three years later*

"Why can't I get the full Destiny experience on Xbox?"

*looks at camera like he's in The Office*

---

It's like, I'm sorry that Xbox has apparently not been worth missing out on some content in a single game if the exclusivity is apparently that terrible, but the solution was always on the table. Get a PS4, or don't.

And if you don't want to get over it, you can always Vote With Your Wallet. *said with a straight-ish face*

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:40 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

If they would just do actual exclusive content instead of this "timed-exclusive" bs then It'd be way easier to just shut up and move along.

Instead they post that xbox will be getting stuff in "fall 2016" and then just update the page and ignore everyone and change it to "fall 2017"

Please tell me how my $60 does not warrant what was originally promised?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:44 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

If they would just do actual exclusive content instead of this "timed-exclusive" bs then It'd be way easier to just shut up and move along.

Instead they post that xbox will be getting stuff in "fall 2016" and then just update the page and ignore everyone and change it to "fall 2017"

As an Xbox user, you were never promised anything. At all.

PS owners were promised that this content would not appear on any other platform for at least a year, and Bungie/Activision/Sony upheld that promise.

The key phrase is "at least"...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:55 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

They never once said that xbox would be getting stuff at a specific time.

If they eventually release the Playstation-exclusive content for Destiny 1 in 2020, even if it's minutes before they kill the servers, they will have kept their promise.

Everything has said "Playstation exclusive until at least Fall 20xx". That you or other players misinterpreted it to say that a release for Xbox on a certain date was promised does not make Bungie dishonest.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:24 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

Didn't we get the first round of previously exclusives once that "at least" was up? It seems like there was some reason for us to expect that to happen every time... at least based on what happened in the first year or two.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:43 (2575 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Didn't we get the first round of previously exclusives once that "at least" was up? It seems like there was some reason for us to expect that to happen every time... at least based on what happened in the first year or two.

Because that would be AT MOST (or at longest for a time equivalent). Do words not mean anything?

At least means that the listed date is the earliest possible the exclusives could be made non exclusive. It is not a guarantee.
At most means that the listed date is the maximum, and once the date is passed the content will be made non exclusive.

All that "at least fall 2016" would mean is that you know you won't get it before that, but you have no idea when after that you can get it.

Wording is important.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:24 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

But they have never stated we would not be getting it. For all intents and purposes once D2 hits then they have missed the mark for delivering these items for D1 since this is supposed to be a 10-year franchise.

If they eventually release the Playstation-exclusive content for Destiny 1 in 2020, even if it's minutes before they kill the servers, they will have kept their promise.

Everything has said "Playstation exclusive until at least Fall 20xx". That you or other players misinterpreted it to say that a release for Xbox on a certain date was promised does not make Bungie dishonest.

If you don't see that as being dishonest to their consumers then I don't know what to tell you. The definition of being dishonest is to have the intention to mislead. If they came out and said this stuff was exclusive until the next expansion pack or game then that would leave no ambiguity about it. Instead we get an ambiguous time frame that has misled people.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:10 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

Sure, technically you're correct. They would never do this, though.

(To show you how sure I am that they wouldn't do this, I'll make a promise - and it's not a Funk eating a sock promise, it's a Claude Errera promise, and it won't be broken: If this happens (exclusive content released minutes before servers go offline, specifically to "honor" the promise), I will stop running bungie.org (I'll keep the domain name so that nobody else can run it) and refuse to buy a Bungie product from that moment forward. Bookmark this post if you need to.)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:12 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sure, technically you're correct. They would never do this, though.

(To show you how sure I am that they wouldn't do this, I'll make a promise - and it's not a Funk eating a sock promise, it's a Claude Errera promise, and it won't be broken: If this happens (exclusive content released minutes before servers go offline, specifically to "honor" the promise), I will stop running bungie.org (I'll keep the domain name so that nobody else can run it) and refuse to buy a Bungie product from that moment forward. Bookmark this post if you need to.)

Don't fuck this up, Bungie.

+1000

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:15 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:44 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And I'll delete all 200 pages of For A Few Arrows More that I've been sitting on (and no one will ever find out about Jun and Kat's son, Jat, and how his star-crossed love with the Unggoy Princess brought peace to the galaxy... Still don't get why 343i didn't like my pitch.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:45 (2575 days ago) @ Leviathan

And I'll delete all 200 pages of For A Few Arrows More that I've been sitting on (and no one will ever find out about Jun and Kat's son, Jat, and how his star-crossed love with the Unggoy Princess brought peace to the galaxy... Still don't get why 343i didn't like my pitch.)

But isnotcanon will live on forever.

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:06 (2574 days ago) @ Leviathan

I didn't realize how much I needed this in my life. Make it happen, Levi! :)

- MacGyver10

You've been warned, Claude: "Korny keeps everything"... ;)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:56 (2574 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

That's good...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:13 (2574 days ago) @ Korny

...because if it actually happens, you won't be able to come back here to find it. :)

That's good...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:14 (2574 days ago) @ Claude Errera

...because if it actually happens, you won't be able to come back here to find it. :)

Two words. Wayback machine.

memories

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:35 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

Ah, that's the thread where I actually offered to let Petetheduck borrow my PS4 during the alpha (and beyond) so that he didn't have to feel left out. So young, so innocent.

(I really don't get butthurt about alpha and beta playtime--there are actually good technical reasons to limit the audience for those. Limiting by platform is logical.)

I still say the Playstation exclusives were underwhelming (Hawkmoon or Jade Rabbit maybe not, but I never got the former when it mattered and I've yet to get the latter.)

The strikes were the best thing, and several of those weren't popular, at least based how often my matchmade teammates dropped out.

I'd even go so far to say that the Playstation owners might have a case to complain that the exclusives didn't live up to the hype.

In my opinion they threaded the needle--the exclusives were substantive enough to pitch as something special, but in actuality, not special enough to matter.

memories

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:37 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

In my opinion they threaded the needle--the exclusives were substantive enough to pitch as something special, but in actuality, not special enough to matter.

So it's the worst of both worlds and good for no one? (:

memories

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:55 (2575 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is exactly how I feel about these deals lol

memories

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:04 (2575 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes and no. If you're a Destiny fanatic who must not miss anything (and that's your only priority), it's worth it to switch. In the calculus of many priorities, friends' list, backcatalog, etc., you can rationalize not having the exclusives. Initially, I was anticipating being the former, but the exclusives alone are not what keep me actively playing Destiny on the PS4. For both PS4 and Xbox, it's basically the friends list. (I would consider cross-platform saves the best thing to happen to my gaming life since launching Marathon 20-something years ago.)

A few people have mentioned the worth of complaining here, in the hope that Bungie listens. I'm convinced that every worthwhile debate that happens here happens or has happened in meeting rooms at Bungie. Bungie is working in a high-stakes, competitive field. This was a business decision, and one that I'm sure they knew would help them in some ways and hurt them in others. Hence, threading the needle.

memories

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:22 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

This was a business decision, and one that I'm sure they knew would help them in some ways and hurt them in others. Hence, threading the needle.

I don't disagree with that at all. In terms of having exclusives but not completely alienated those without the exclusives, they've done about all they can do.

memories

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:48 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

A few people have mentioned the worth of complaining here, in the hope that Bungie listens. I'm convinced that every worthwhile debate that happens here happens or has happened in meeting rooms at Bungie. Bungie is working in a high-stakes, competitive field. This was a business decision, and one that I'm sure they knew would help them in some ways and hurt them in others.

Judging by the employee response to the first exclusivity deal (at least those who have talked to me), it was made without creative input and was kind of a surprise to many. It was purely business.

memories

by yakaman, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:02 (2574 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by yakaman, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:05

Ah, that's the thread where I actually offered to let Petetheduck borrow my PS4 during the alpha (and beyond) so that he didn't have to feel left out. So young, so innocent.

(I really don't get butthurt about alpha and beta playtime--there are actually good technical reasons to limit the audience for those. Limiting by platform is logical.)

I still say the Playstation exclusives were underwhelming (Hawkmoon or Jade Rabbit maybe not, but I never got the former when it mattered and I've yet to get the latter.)

The strikes were the best thing, and several of those weren't popular, at least based how often my matchmade teammates dropped out.

I'd even go so far to say that the Playstation owners might have a case to complain that the exclusives didn't live up to the hype.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I don't think I've ever actually cared that I didn't have the few extras. I say this after the fact - I was certainly anticipating being pissed, and I was pissed at the beginning, but after I just resigned to my fate it sorta all ceased to matter.

I understand anger on principle, and I cannot begrudge others for being angry, but I just can't muster it for myself. It is what it is, and I'm not about to give up D2 over it.

Either I'm illuminated, or I'm indoctrinated. It could be either really.

Edited to add: I think over-pursuit of "completionism" in games in general, and this one specifically, kinda contributed to a lot of my salt regarding D1 and the exclusives. I'm determined to keep a healthy relationship with D2 playtime and expectations.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:52 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

And to provide a degree of context, while you are paying the same amount to play on Xbox (figuratively) the PS players are paying the same amount for identical content. Sony is paying for the exclusive content and giving it to their player base. While it might seem strange, that is how it works out. You don't pay for a seller exclusive pre-order bonus, the seller does. Whether you agree with the practice or not, your money is exactly as valid as their money, and isn't getting you less.

This is a business practice that exists in all fields in all promotional activities

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:25 (2575 days ago) @ Harmanimus

And to provide a degree of context, while you are paying the same amount to play on Xbox (figuratively) the PS players are paying the same amount for identical content. Sony is paying for the exclusive content and giving it to their player base. While it might seem strange, that is how it works out. You don't pay for a seller exclusive pre-order bonus, the seller does. Whether you agree with the practice or not, your money is exactly as valid as their money, and isn't getting you less.

If the content was exclusive for PS and never to be available on the xbox/PC then I'd agree with you. That's not what they have said though. They clearly state that Xbox (and PC presumably) will get the exclusives at a later time.

Xbox player = $60
PS player = $60
Playstation = $$ for a TIMED exclusive

Playstation is paying for their players to have more content in the short term. Long term its supposed to be equal. However, D2 is going to release before these pieces get released for D1 xbox players (never mind that 360 players got completely screwed out of this stuff). Since this is supposed to be a 10 year game they sure are off to a bad start with handling exclusives.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:36 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

If the content was exclusive for PS and never to be available on the xbox/PC then I'd agree with you. That's not what they have said though. They clearly state that Xbox (and PC presumably) will get the exclusives at a later time.

This, to me, is the crux of the issue. I could accept (grumbling, but I'd accept) that PS4s get more content than Xboxes, out of the gate, due to deals made with publishers/consoles/whoever. With this information in front of me, I could decide that the benefits I get from my existing friends list on Xbox are greater than a few extra pieces of content, and make my choice on which platform to play on.

But this is NOT what we were told; we were told both platforms would get identical content, eventually, it's just that the Xbox content would be delayed. To be fair, they were vague on the length of the delay, and even though it was worded in a way that was DESIGNED to be misinterpreted, they weren't lying when they said we'd get it, eventually.

Unless we don't. Then this counts as a lie.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:46 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I doubt 360 players will ever get the missing D1 content. It'll remain locked behind the Rise of Iron update that will never come to the 360.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:06 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

I doubt 360 players will ever get the missing D1 content. It'll remain locked behind the Rise of Iron update that will never come to the 360.

Eh. I'm actually okay with the phase-out, and don't see that as the same sort of betrayal as not releasing stuff they promised to release to current consoles would be. Maybe that's a rationalization. ;)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:34 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Eh. I'm actually okay with the phase-out, and don't see that as the same sort of betrayal as not releasing stuff they promised to release to current consoles would be. Maybe that's a rationalization. ;)

Definitely rationalization :)

I'm ok with the phase out as well. It was needed in fact. However, the argument can still be made that 360 players got screwed out of content once Bungie made the decision to phase out the 360/PS3 in D1.

The even changed the wording from Playstation exclusive content "Fall 2016" to PS4 Exclusive "Fall 2017"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:52 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

This is a pretty good point. Did 360 players know they'd never get Hawkmoon?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:50 (2575 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Then we each get a $5 coupon towards DLC in the resulting class action lawsuit. Sounds amazing.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:52 (2575 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Then we each get a $5 coupon towards DLC in the resulting class action lawsuit. Sounds amazing.

lol, I had this thought earlier but never said it.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:56 (2574 days ago) @ unoudid

lol, class action lawsuit many years later.....all plaintiffs to receive $5 worth of silver for Destiny 1.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:57 (2574 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

lol, class action lawsuit many years later.....all plaintiffs to receive $5 worth of silver for Destiny 1.

Better yet, they get an amount of silver just shy to buy anything, or enough to buy something with enough left to over to be just short of buying a second thing.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:58 (2574 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Better yet, they get an amount of silver just shy to buy anything, or enough to buy something with enough left to over to be just short of buying a second thing.

This would be exactly how it would work hahaha

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:44 (2574 days ago) @ unoudid

They stated that they were timed but never indicated a maximum time of exclusivity. In the same context, there have been pre-order bonuses exclusive to retails that have been later released outside of that retailer. The retailer still paid for that content, they probably just paid slightly less than had it been a forever exclusive.

And while I do agree it is somewhat deceptive to have content on a rolling cycle and not make that explicit, I do not recall anything ever explicitly stating that PS content must come to Xbox. In a grand sense, the experience are equal. But with a finer comb, yes, they aren't 1:1 equivalent. I mean, I would love to be wrong in that they stated there would be eventual 1:1 and that all exclusives eventually will be system agnostic, but I don't remember that ever being part of the pitch.

I'm just hoping it stays away from anything super substantial. I played D1 on both PS and Xbox. At this point the friends I played with on PS have generally moved away and I mostly keep that system for solo play and use my Xbox for more social things. I don't know if I'm willing to keep up the split platforms, even in spite of exclusive content. D2 will probably be an Xbox game for me.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:09 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

I sincerely mean no offense, but posting on an internet forum doesn't get anything done, either. You might as well be yelling in the void. You really want to do something about it? Talk to Bungie and quit buying their shit until it stops. That's it.

I'm not saying voicing your opinion is wrong. That's basically never true. But let's not pretend that complaining on a fan forum accomplishes anything, either.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:32 (2575 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I sincerely mean no offense, but posting on an internet forum doesn't get anything done, either. You might as well be yelling in the void. You really want to do something about it? Talk to Bungie and quit buying their shit until it stops. That's it.

I'm not saying voicing your opinion is wrong. That's basically never true. But let's not pretend that complaining on a fan forum accomplishes anything, either.

I'd love to personally tell Bungie that I'm really displeased about this practice. That's partly why I posted this here. Yeah, this is a fan forum. But's it's also a place where Bungie staff comes occasionally and reads things. Hopefully someone there reads this.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:52 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

I'd love to personally tell Bungie that I'm really displeased about this practice. That's partly why I posted this here. Yeah, this is a fan forum. But's it's also a place where Bungie staff comes occasionally and reads things. Hopefully someone there reads this.

Sure. But they also have official forums that (presumably) at least on employee is paid to monitor and moderate. They even have their business address listed at the bottom of their "Contact Us" page--send them a letter!

As I said, discussion is never a bad thing, but if you really want to bring about change, this isn't the way to do that. Complaining for its own sake is fine, but, again, let's not pretend that it's accomplishing anything. There are better, more direct methods than posting on a fan forum and just hoping a Bungie employee stumbles across it.

Please, don't take any of that the wrong way. I'm not attacking you or anything--I complain about Destiny at least as much as anyone else here. I don't care that folks want to complain about any aspect of it. I just think doing it in the name of change is a little disingenuous.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:54 (2574 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have heard from people who don't like me that Bungie occasionally mentions my name and arguments around the studio. Like, a game designer will say something like, "Well, Cody Miller says that's stupid." What they do next I was never told, but I'm 100% certain what we say here has SOME effect. How big is unknown.

I can pretty much guarantee they know Claude's position regarding this.

But Cody won't like it!!!

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:01 (2574 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Excellent..."

[image]

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:02 (2574 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:14

I have heard from people who don't like me that Bungie occasionally mentions my name and arguments around the studio. Like, a game designer will say something like, "Well, Cody Miller says that's stupid." What they do next I was never told

[image]

FYI I'm not surprised.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:50 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

Not surprised. But if there was to be a flip, it would have happened now. This is more of a cementing. :)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:52 (2575 days ago) @ breitzen

Not surprised. But if there was to be a flip, it would have happened now. This is more of a cementing. :)

Yeah, totally fair - which is why I'm hoping that *this* is the last round of surprise and disappointment here. :-)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:11 (2575 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, totally fair - which is why I'm hoping that *this* is the last round of surprise and disappointment here. :-)

To be fair, this is the fourth time that PS4 has gotten a year of exclusive items in Destiny. I've been telling people to stop being surprised since The Dark Below, and you'd think The Taken King would have given them a hint, and yet, every single time you get people up in arms about it.

There were three times already that Microsoft could have "flipped" the exclusivity deal, but they apparently don't care enough, and likely won't all the way through D3.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:12 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

There were three times already that Microsoft could have "flipped" the exclusivity deal

…that's not how it works dude. Contracts can be long term.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:15 (2575 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There were three times already that Microsoft could have "flipped" the exclusivity deal

…that's not how it works dude. Contracts can be long term.

Apparently not if they have to be renewed every year (otherwise we wouldn't have the whole "exclusive until at least fal 20xx", we'd have "exclusive to Playstation"). Clearly it's a flexible contract.

Could be right of first refusal

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:42 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

And they never refuse

How much did such exclusivity cost?

by yakaman, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:10 (2574 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Like...$1 million?

2?

5?

10?

I have no context for what such a thing costs. Does anyone have any idea?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:26 (2574 days ago) @ yakaman

1 or 2 souls

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 11:14 (2574 days ago) @ unoudid

1 or 2 souls per household

I consulted the Disembodied Soul

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 11:39 (2574 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Pyromancy, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:16

I consulted the Disembodied Soul

"Question: How much did Destiny exclusivity cost?
The soul says: "I'm your destiny, bitch!"

I consulted the Disembodied Soul +1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:36 (2574 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:15 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

To be fair, this is the fourth time that PS4 has gotten a year of exclusive items in Destiny. I've been telling people to stop being surprised since The Dark Below, and you'd think The Taken King would have given them a hint, and yet, every single time you get people up in arms about it.

There were three times already that Microsoft could have "flipped" the exclusivity deal, but they apparently don't care enough, and likely won't all the way through D3.

Yeah, but it wasn't necessarily unreasonable to believe that the timed exclusivity agreements applied to all of the D1 cycle, and the D2 cycle could theoretically be different. It is now cemented and any thoughts that it will change in the coming years would now officially be unreasonable.

FYI, I didn't assume you were.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:22 (2575 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Phew. :)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:48 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

Also, missed having you on the Raid last night. :(

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 11:12 (2574 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

microsoft is a damn fool for not ponying up. Destiny is arguably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) games of the past 3 years. MS should've ponied up and gotten D2 to be an "Xbox Anywhere" title. Xbox Anywhere has kinda been a flo; having cross-play on D2 (at least PvE, PvP might not be fair with mouse/keyboard) would have been huge.

Pony up? I'm assuming that it was a bidding war, and that Sony won and said "MS doesn't get to have exclusives, just us"

Or MS is just stupid. Could be either one.

Bungie, I'm not mad at you, I'm just disappointed.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:50 (2575 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread