Crota Raid Challenge Strategies (Destiny)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:33 (2585 days ago)

Now that we've seen some successes with the new raid challenges, I figure we should compare notes. I'm sure there are multiple approaches that have worked; which ones are the best? I'll create a reply below for each (though the forum abhors structure).

Deathsinger Challenge

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:33 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

Kill all enemies quickly (including Wizards, Shriekers, yellow-bar knights and thrall). After the last enemy dies, Ir Yut will 'scream in fear'. At that point more enemies spawn outside: 3 yellow-bar knights in each tower and 2-3 Ogres. Kill all of these enemies as well to spawn a Sword Bearer. Kill the Sword Bearer, take his sword and it to kill Ir Yut to finish the Challenge. Must be done in 2 minutes 30 seconds for success (and 2 minutes flat for a record book unlock).

Chappy's non-DBO team:

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:34 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:38

We tried just killing things as we came across them, but the lack of coordination hurt our time and we weren't getting the sword bearer to appear quickly enough. We switched it up to assign specific enemies to each team member, and that led to success.

Three guardians to a side, each team does the same thing on their side: One Guardian (Razelighter really helps here) kills the initial knight in the Hallway, then moves up to the tower to kill the knight there. The other two clear out the knights and thrall in the room at the top of the stairs and bridge, ready for the wizard. All three help with the wizard, with the two inside clearing everything else when it's downed (including the Shrieker).

The "Tower" Guardian stays in the tower waiting for the Scream - his job is to kill the three knights as they spawn at the top and then help as necessary. One of the two other Guardians uses his super to kill the Ogre on their side, and the other is cleanup (I think there's actually a third Ogre that this person helps deal with, but I'm not sure).

Chappy's non-DBO team:

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:49 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

Three guardians to a side, each team does the same thing on their side: One Guardian (Razelighter really helps here) kills the initial knight in the Hallway, then moves up to the tower to kill the knight there. The other two clear out the knights and thrall in the room at the top of the stairs and bridge, ready for the wizard. All three help with the wizard, with the two inside clearing everything else when it's downed (including the Shrieker).

The "Tower" Guardian stays in the tower waiting for the Scream - his job is to kill the three knights as they spawn at the top and then help as necessary. One of the two other Guardians uses his super to kill the Ogre on their side, and the other is cleanup (I think there's actually a third Ogre that this person helps deal with, but I'm not sure).

That was our strategy. Those knights in the towers can slow you down if you try to shoot them out because they will hide. Just hop up with a Razelighter and knock them out quick.

I ran gunslinger and the golden gun helped with stubborn enemies. Now that I think about it, two gunslingers could handle the knights and ogres of they had Celestial Nighthawks and Razelighters. Sword the knights, golden gun two ogres, and team up on the third.

Chappy's non-DBO team:

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:08 (2585 days ago) @ bluerunner

What blue said. We found SWORDS to be better than Rockets here, because even with the Ogre you could run up and hit them. But we had 1 on each tower, 2 that ran in to get the wizard and kill the elbow and anything that came out. Then a RazeLighter got the knights in with Ir Yut. Then back out to get everyone else, just murder them quickly with the tower doing the tower job then helping. Took us a bit to understand it fully but we got it after an hour or so.

Chappy's non-DBO team:

by ShadowDancing, CA, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:26 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

We did basically that with a small modification I think saved us a few seconds. At the very beginning, split into 3 teams, left, middle and right. Middle team takes the first 2 knights and all the adds in the bottom middle section (stupid acolytes hiding). The left and right team blitz past and go up the stairs immediately. One member of the team razelighters the 2 knights and one takes the tower. At this point the middle team should be done, and they split up into joining the left and right team, to go up the stairs and help with adds and wizard & shrieker. The Tower guy can float or (preferably) stay in the tower until the ogres spawn.

Left Knights, Adds, Wizard, Shrieker
Left Tower
Middle then Left Adds, Wizard, Shrieker
Middle then Right Adds, Wizard, Shrieker
Right Tower
Right Knights, Adds, Wizard, Shrieker

We also had the Right team tasked to assault through to Deathsinger and kill the knights that spawn in her room after the shriekers go down, while the Left team raced back to middle to kill the adds closer to their spawn after she shrieks in fear.

it really didn't seem so complicated in practice once folks just razelightered everything.

There are probably a few seconds to be saved at the shriekers by blocking their death blasts with a titan bubble. We used my Sunsinger as a human shield instead

Deathsinger Challenge

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:43 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

After several attempts, we finally pulled it off -- in 2:10:00. I'm really wondering how we're going to be able to knock those extra 10 seconds off our time for the record book...

Deathsinger Challenge

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:04 (2585 days ago) @ Speedracer513

After several attempts, we finally pulled it off -- in 2:10:00. I'm really wondering how we're going to be able to knock those extra 10 seconds off our time for the record book...

I was watching the clip of our run, and we could totally shave those ten seconds off. Everything leading up to killing the Shriekers is what takes us the longest. It's always a stray Acolyte that kills us on time, so we just end up waiting. I should have some clips up later...

Deathsinger Challengeo I had a stroke.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:06 (2585 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Are you sure you need to do the CHALLENGE that quick? I thought it was just KILL her that quick.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:12 (2585 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Are you sure you need to do the CHALLENGE that quick? I thought it was just KILL her that quick.

Yeah, the book says, "When the 390 Light version of Crota's End is the Weekly Featured Raid, defeat the Deathsinger Challenge under the time limit."

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:33 (2585 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Damn! That's huge.

Deathsinger Challenge

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:59 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

Cheese method

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:18 (2584 days ago) @ Chappy

According to this a sunsinger can self res after the liturgy ends and still complete the challenge.

Wednesday DBO Raid Successes

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 11:26 (2584 days ago) @ Chappy

Last night the regular Wednesday night XBox crew ran through the Deathsinger Challenge twice with no issues; in fact we were only 2 seconds over 2 minutes. As discussed, the key to this seems to be to assign specific kills to the team. Razelighter is a huge help here to quickly dispatch the yellow-bar enemies.

Keep a person in each tower to deal with the three Knights that spawn there, have someone else with a super ready for the Ogres, and someone with a rocket launcher for the Wizard and Shrieker.

Crota Challenge

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:34 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

After someone picks up the Sword Bearer's sword, they're not allowed to pick it up again. They can drop it as needed (by switching weapons), but just like the Warpriest aura they can't be a sword runner again. This effectively means you need a different Guardian to run up and sword-slam Crota for each cycle where you're downing him.

Chappy's non-DBO team:

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:35 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:52

We had two warlocks on the team, so their job was to nova the yellow-bar knights in the beginning to ensure there were 12 orbs of light on the ground for everyone else. Two defender titans with blessing bubbles for safety, and two Golden Gun hunters that turned out to be critical. We discovered that a Celestial knighthawk Golden gun shot will immediately down Crota, so that meant that the two hunters and the runner could be the only ones involved in the Crota fight. The other 3 were on Oversoul and boomer/wizard duty.

After clearing the initial room, we went right. Defender titan popped a bubble at the corner at the top of the stairs for extra shielding. "Distraction bubbles" didn't seem to work anymore. The first sword-bearing guardian ran out and grabbed the chalice, then grabbed the sword. The rest of the fire team helped with the adds and sword-bearer kill. The sword runner then moved to the right-side position and let the hunters know he was starting their run to Crota. The hunters would watch his progress and drop Crota as the guardian got close. Crota seems to want to get up VERY quickly now. We were usually getting only two hits, three when we thought our timing was "perfect". At this point, the four guardians not involved in the second downing cleared the Oversoul (machine guns preferred). The second hunter would still be watching the sword bearer, who would have retreated to the right for safety, but starts his second rush as the Oversoul is still up. As he gets close, the second hunter drops Crota with a golden gun. We probably had 5 good slams per sword bearer.

We repeated this for the second cycle (with a new sword bearer). The hunters were not running the sword. After downing Crota two more times (another 5 slams), we pushed into the right side Ogre spawn and got up on the doors. We finished off the close Ogre, then the far Ogre with snipers, then moved back into position on the right side.

The third sword bearer was our last (and best runner). It was the same process - 3 guardians killing boomers, the wizard, and the Oversoul. One hunter ready to drop Crota for the first run (then focus on the Oversoul), and the second hunter ready for the second drop. The runner got in 3 hits and enraged Crota. At that point an errand wizard nearly wrecked us, but a final down and final 3 blows for success.

Crota Challenge

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 13:59 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

After someone picks up the Sword Bearer's sword, they're not allowed to pick it up again. They can drop it as needed (by switching weapons), but just like the Warpriest aura they can't be a sword runner again. This effectively means you need a different Guardian to run up and sword-slam Crota for each cycle where you're downing him.

Beware Sunsingers, if they die while holding the sword they CANNOT self-res & pickup the sword. We found that one out the hard way.

Crota Challenge

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 14:55 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

I did a little reading on Reddit, and found a few potentially relevant facts:

You can ignore the first Oversoul when downing Crota. Downing him a second time triggers another Oversoul that replaces the first if it's still present.

A Celestial Nighthawk golden gun can one-shot the Oversoul. We used it to down Crota, but you can flip it so all but one is focused on Crota.

There's a place of safety from the boomers at the back near the no-longer-accessible ledge (but this puts the sword runner at more risk).

Weapons of Light and Sunsinger Viking Funeral Grenades can increase the damage done by the sword.

7:30 team

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:05 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

We had 2 NightStalkers, 1 Slam Titan, 2 Sunsigners and unsure the last. We would shadow shot at the beginning and then the sunsinger would clean up so that way both got back their supers and had some for others.

We then went left side, killed the tower Knights, killed the sword (gave that person the Chalice), then called out, 1 rocket crota, sword did his thing, count 3,2,1, rocket, sword does his thing then gets away and the rest shoot the oversoul (and the tower knights if back). Wait for him to rotate, do it again.

We then waited for the ogres in the start room and came out cleaning them up. We were a bit late finding the second one, so we had to let Crota rotate (maybe we didn't have to but we did). Then did the same thing for the 3rd and final sword.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:26 (2585 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

We then went left side, killed the tower Knights, killed the sword (gave that person the Chalice), then called out, 1 rocket crota, sword did his thing, count 3,2,1, rocket, sword does his thing then gets away and the rest shoot the oversoul (and the tower knights if back). Wait for him to rotate, do it again.

So wait, no wizard spawned when you killed the knights?

Wizards spawn, but they're red-bar and easy to kill

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:31 (2585 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:34 (2585 days ago) @ dogcow

Yea sorry. We kind of ignored them since they were red bar. Sometimes a Rocket would just hit them, so I would send out a second one to be safe.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:47 (2585 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Thanks, Chris! So you ignored the first Oversoul (triggered after downing Crota once) and only dealt with it after downing him the second time?

How tightly did you manage the Boomer and Wizard kills? Our failures were usually due to the their interference at the wrong time - were you dropping them consistently just as the Sword runner was getting into position?

The sword timing seems much narrower in this variant - 3 hits not guaranteed. I'm curious about the timing you used for the rockets - do you remember where your sword runners were when they called for the rocket volley?

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:14 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

Thanks, Chris! So you ignored the first Oversoul (triggered after downing Crota once) and only dealt with it after downing him the second time?

Correct, it seems to NOT trigger a second one then. I heard it actually resets the Oversoul, but can't confirm. Either way, with Snipers it was easy to take it out, 2 or 3 from each after the last rocket. So that was only our problem when people were using Fusion Rifles to start...

How tightly did you manage the Boomer and Wizard kills? Our failures were usually due to the their interference at the wrong time - were you dropping them consistently just as the Sword runner was getting into position?

Not as tight as we should have. We did get a Wizard in the way of rockets 1 or 2 times, but we just sent a second (even though it may not have been needed). We could of 100% done this better, we basically just called them out and killed them (my shot was terrible so I would constantly miss my first sniper shot), but it really didn't take away from much since the Chalice was there.

The sword timing seems much narrower in this variant - 3 hits not guaranteed. I'm curious about the timing you used for the rockets - do you remember where your sword runners were when they called for the rocket volley?

At first, some were expecting people to just know when to shoot. We quickly stated that the sword guy had to say something (I have the sword...then say something when ready, bring him down, shoot, etc). So it was the swords guy choice. I then called 3,2,1, shoot for the second rockets. I called my 1 attempt (I was 3rd so it was a kill) when I hit the rock left that you wait on. Then immediately went towards him. Unsure of Zero or Chicken's placement. Certainly could have done it a bit earlier but I went with being sure I was ready.

It did seem a bit shorter, but we got it done in 3 sword users. We also seemed to have 4 people who felt comfortable with swords.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:28 (2585 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

So that was only our problem when people were using Fusion Rifles to start...

Hey, if it's going to give me a 400 Light of the Abyss, I'm going to use a 400 Light of the Abyss.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:37 (2585 days ago) @ bluerunner

No.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:29 (2585 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

It did seem a bit shorter, but we got it done in 3 sword users. We also seemed to have 4 people who felt comfortable with swords.

We did the same, but having 4 ready to sword is probably how teams should prepare. Reddit describes 16 slams to kill (at 400 light), and he enrages at 12 or 13. Anyone should be able to get 4 hits (two per down), but if you can get 5 and 6 you can do it in 3 runners.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:36 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

I still do the swipe, swipe, swipe slam method. Seemed to work fine.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:38 (2585 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

At first, some were expecting people to just know when to shoot. We quickly stated that the sword guy had to say something (I have the sword...then say something when ready, bring him down, shoot, etc). So it was the swords guy choice. I then called 3,2,1, shoot for the second rockets. I called my 1 attempt (I was 3rd so it was a kill) when I hit the rock left that you wait on. Then immediately went towards him. Unsure of Zero or Chicken's placement. Certainly could have done it a bit earlier but I went with being sure I was ready.

I called it when I was on the ledge. Jumping up and using the sword-swing to close the distance allows you to be in position as Crota is going down. It wasn't really an issue to get 3 slams in per down.

I called it slightly too late the first time I jumped up because I'm used to a different crew with different timings. In retrospect, it probably would have been wiser to have the most experienced sword runner take the caboose and finish him off. That way, you get any screw-ups out of the way before you're too invested into the fight.

That being said, the Crota fight felt much easier than the Ir Yut fight.

Strat from Reddit

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:54 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

2 Golden Guns and 2 Blessing Bubbles:

Pop bubble to block boomer shots, only kill 1 boomer on whatever side your team is standing (Leaves everyone free to shoot).

First sword runner goes up, gets 3 hits and gets out. Oversoul pops up, Golden Gun #1 solos it while everyone drops Crota again. Sword runner gets 3 more hits...EVERYONE shoots 2nd Oversoul. Return to safe room.

Repeat with a new runner. Just make sure that between first and second sword runner that you only hit Crota 11 times. 12th RT/R2 hit will enrage him. This time 2nd titan pops bubble, 2nd Golden Gunsolos Oversoul. After 2nd set of hits everyone goes to bottom tower to deal with ogres after clearing the Oversoul.

Kill ogres and wait for Crota to move, don't go back to safe room it will save you time. Instead everyone up the stairs, pop bubble while runner gets swordbearer. 6 more hits and he's dead.

slight modification

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:03 (2585 days ago) @ Chappy

2 Golden Guns and 2 Blessing Bubbles:

Pop bubble to block boomer shots, only kill 1 boomer on whatever side your team is standing (Leaves everyone free to shoot).

First sword runner goes up, gets 3 hits and gets out. Oversoul pops up, Golden Gun #1 solos it while everyone drops Crota again. Sword runner gets 3 more hits...EVERYONE shoots 2nd Oversoul. Return to safe room.

Repeat with a new runner. Just make sure that between first and second sword runner that you only hit Crota 11 times. 12th RT/R2 hit will enrage him. This time 2nd titan pops bubble, 2nd Golden Gunsolos Oversoul. After 2nd set of hits everyone goes to bottom tower to deal with ogres after clearing the Oversoul.

Kill ogres and wait for Crota to move, don't go back to safe room it will save you time. Instead everyone up the stairs, pop bubble while runner gets swordbearer. 6 more hits and he's dead.

This takes a couple tries to get the feel for it, but we found a way to reliably pull the oversoul only once per attack on Crota. The trick is to destroy the oversoul as late as possible. I was running Golden Gun with Celestial Nighthawk, which made this a bit easier:

Exact same strat as you posted, except when the Oversoul first pops, nobody shoots it right away. By the time the Oversoul has fully formed, Crota is once again standing and ready to take damage. We would all focus on Crota, make sure he was down again. Then, as when our sword-carrier is well into his 2nd attack on the big guy, I'd use my Nighthawk golden gun and a few sniper rounds to bring down the Oversoul. If you time it all correctly, the music will be done, the sword will de-spawn, and Crota won't have time to summon the Oversoul a 2nd time.

slight modification

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:50 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Exact same strat as you posted, except when the Oversoul first pops, nobody shoots it right away. By the time the Oversoul has fully formed, Crota is once again standing and ready to take damage. We would all focus on Crota, make sure he was down again. Then, as when our sword-carrier is well into his 2nd attack on the big guy, I'd use my Nighthawk golden gun and a few sniper rounds to bring down the Oversoul. If you time it all correctly, the music will be done, the sword will de-spawn, and Crota won't have time to summon the Oversoul a 2nd time.

The crew I ran with 2 nights ago (that you helped out with at the end) were just fine waiting to take out the oversoul with snipers until the 2nd downing of Crota.

Wednesday DBO Raid Successes

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 11:40 (2584 days ago) @ Chappy
edited by Chappy, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 11:45

Last night the regular Wednesday night XBox crew ran through the Crota Challenge three times with no issues. In fact the only wipe was when Crota decided to visit the "safe" room at the top of the left stairs. It was very helpful to have two hunters and at least one titan for the runs.

For the first run, we used the hunters to one-shot Crota just before the sword-runner got to him. The other fire team members dealt with the Boomers, Wizard and Oversoul.

The second and third run, we used the hunters to one-shot the Oversoul. The other fire team members used rockets to drop Crota as the runner moved from the ledge (and dealt with the Boomers, Wizard and any lingering Oversoul).

We used Titan Bubbles mostly for orb generation (Crest of Alpha Lupi helps), but the Blessing of light safety net was nice. In all three runs we stayed at the top of the left stairs until after the second pair of Sword attacks on Crota, when we moved into the left side Ogre spawn room to deal with the Ogres. Stay in that room until Crota passes by on the bridge!

We used the 4 yellow-bar knights at the start to generate up to 12 orbs at the spawn - we kept our Golden Guns fed. Those orbs are also very helpful to anyone with an "Infusion" helmet that can convert them to health.

After clearing the beginning, our first sword-runner ran out and grabbed the chalice, then killed the Sword-Bearer (with assistance from the rest of the fireteam). He moved directly into position on the left side, and didn't return the chalice to the team until after Crota had been downed twice.

Note that the first two sword-runners must combine for 11 RT slams on Crota. Count them and communicate so there's no accidental enrage. The first six slams should put his health bar directly below the "S" in "Son of Oryx". If you get 6 at the start, the second and third sword-runners will need to do 5 each. We kept our best sword runner for the third run.

...Pray Like Hell?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 01:24 (2584 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

Deathsinger Challenge Buzzer Beater

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:31 (2584 days ago) @ Chappy

finished the challenge last night with "0" seconds left according to the timer on my screen. Good times :)

Titan Skating FTW!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:56 (2584 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Titan(fall) Skating FTW!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 14:17 (2584 days ago) @ dogcow

Hah, the whole time I was running towards the deathsinger, I was wishing

a) that I didn't suck so bad at Titan skating

and

b) that I could move as quickly as I do in Titanfall 2, where I've just started to get the hang of Pilot-skating :D

400 Razelighter can make him kneel in 1 hit

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:07 (2584 days ago) @ Chappy

*Requires Weapon of Light Buff

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:22 (2584 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

*Requires Weapon of Light Buff

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Saturday, April 01, 2017, 03:58 (2582 days ago) @ Chappy

I just ran Crota again as a Titan and the Weapons of Light buff is a huge help - we only needed two sword runners to complete the challenge. I don't know the specific number of hits, but probably 11 or 12. Both runners had the WoL buff - we were both Titans so we created our own bubbles before grabbing the sword.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread