I'll sit this one out (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:01 (2578 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:14

I'm happy that Bungie decided to do this update, and new versions of the raids are a welcome addition for most people I think.

But, I'm looking at the minor variations, and the overall lame-ness and grindy nature of the new record book and just not getting excited at all. The fact that things like kills in the crucible / nightfall strikes completed, etc aren't cumulative from day 1 just fucking sucks. If it's supposed to be a record of the first three years, why for half of it does what we do only now matter? Pretty dumb.

Knowing that a totally new game is coming this fall (supposedly), I just don't really see the point in doing essentially the same stuff over again to earn gear we essentially had a long time ago.

I'll watch from the sidelines, but get back on the field for Des2ny.

K, see you back in Destiny 1 soon.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:13 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

K, see you back in Destiny 1 soon.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:25 (2578 days ago) @ Korny

If there happens to be cutscenes other than the opening that are new, then you'd be right and I'd have to come back to record them :-)

Any chance you can capture the in game opener?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:45 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If there happens to be cutscenes other than the opening that are new, then you'd be right and I'd have to come back to record them :-)

Any chance you can capture the in game opener? I thought it looked slightly different than the pre-release one. It could just be a figment of my imaginantion though too. Maybe seeing it in HD on a TV just made the details pop more than when seeing it streamed and on a computer monitor

Any chance you can capture the in game opener?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:08 (2578 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Any chance you can capture the in game opener? I thought it looked slightly different than the pre-release one. It could just be a figment of my imaginantion though too. Maybe seeing it in HD on a TV just made the details pop more than when seeing it streamed and on a computer monitor

Download the 1080p version and compare. It should be exactly the same.

Is the beta version different?

Sorry, I meant the AoT opener I thought that was the subject

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:12 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

OH!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:14 (2578 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Yeah, already captured and uploaded. It's on the Admins to add it to the page now :-)

OH!

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:41 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, already captured and uploaded. It's on the Admins to add it to the page now :-)

Up now. Sorry for the delay.

http://destiny.bungie.org/galleries/destinycutscenes/d/63_Age_of_Triumph_Open

I'll sit this one out

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:19 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Certainly not trying to change your mind or get you to play something you don't want to play - but I thought I'd point out that almost nothing in the record book is 'out of the ordinary', except maybe the raid stuff (which you'd do in any case).

Mine was more than 60% full BEFORE I DID ANYTHING. (In fact, you could make a point that their claim of 'the largest record book ever' is silly, since a good chunk of it gets filled before you start.) I may never finish this one (it requires a visit to the lighthouse), but it's the first one I don't have to look at while I play to see what needs doing; everything seems to be filled in as I go, by things I was doing anyway.

I'll sit this one out

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:29 (2578 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Mine was more than 60% full BEFORE I DID ANYTHING. (In fact, you could make a point that their claim of 'the largest record book ever' is silly, since a good chunk of it gets filled before you start.) I may never finish this one (it requires a visit to the lighthouse), but it's the first one I don't have to look at while I play to see what needs doing; everything seems to be filled in as I go, by things I was doing anyway.

If that's the case, shouldn't they already be filled in? Why would it matter if you did them before or have to do them now? I've already gotten a bunch of wrecking ball medals… so why isn't that filled in? It makes no sense for some to be retroactive (like the lighthouse or story missions), and others not, like Public events gold tier, etc. Oh wait, it does.

It's not about being a record of your accomplishments. If it were everything would be retroactive. It's about steering / manipulating people back into activities until Des2ny ships. And I just don't like being manipulated anymore.

I'll sit this one out

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:32 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Some people have them bugged with things not filling out.

I thought the opposite.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 20:39 (2578 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I went through and looked at this stuff, and it's just too much. Getting all those ships, all those sparrows, grinding crucible to rank 25, doing Trials again, getting emblems.

I was scrolling through the thing, thinking it looked fun, and then I got to the Trials page and the only thing that was unlocked (despite me achieving all of those required things, multiple times) was getting to the lighthouse and the faction page where I have to get my crucible rep up, and it's dead to me.

My plan from here on in is to pretend that book never existed. I don't want to feel the pull of those things encouraging me to do stuff I don't really like.

I feel the same.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 21:00 (2578 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I thought the opposite.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 00:51 (2578 days ago) @ Funkmon

My plan from here on in is to pretend that book never existed.

That's pretty funny - that's what I said you could do, since it doesn't ask you to do anything you wouldn't do anyway.

It does ask me to go out of my way.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 02:16 (2578 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 02:22

It asks me to play crucible, to go up many ranks in it, to play trials, to play iron banner, to collect ships, emblems, sparrows, to play as a Titan.

Ideally, I never will do any of that again. In fact, short of friends begging me, which is what got me to play Iron Banner (all the way to rank 2) a couple months ago, I don't do that stuff now, and I haven't done that stuff since Y1. I didn't like it then, but I did it because it was the way to get the guns I liked the best or to level up, things that made the rest of the game more fun. I have the guns I like the best, I have the ships and sparrows I like, my main emblem is one I got day 1, and I don't like crucible.

I'm planning on continuing to play the game as I enjoy it, and as a result, I'll probably never have that thing more than 60% completed. Currently at 41% I think.

I'll sit this one out

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:22 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The point of this update and release are not to do new things and get new things. The point is to have some incentive to go back and replay some of those things with your buddies. It's about nostalgia, not newness. Did you really not understand that?

I'll sit this one out

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:29 (2578 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The point of this update and release are not to do new things and get new things. The point is to have some incentive to go back and replay some of those things with your buddies. It's about nostalgia, not newness. Did you really not understand that?

I do. But I'd rather look forward at this point rather than back.

You will miss out

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:33 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the new parts of Crota were awesome. We all really enjoyed the Raid as a RAID this time.

Absolutely

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:57 (2578 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I think the new parts of Crota were awesome. We all really enjoyed the Raid as a RAID this time.

Running Crota again was fantastic. It's great having it challenging again, and I think the tweaks they've made to the encounters are fantastic. Very well thought out.

Absolutely

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:07 (2578 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We were playing with Evil Otto and we told him to let everyone know they were pretty much all good changes. I really can't think of a negative on what I played last night, other than it took this long to get it.

Absolutely

by BlackstarBSP, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:15 (2578 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

We were playing with Evil Otto and we told him to let everyone know they were pretty much all good changes. I really can't think of a negative on what I played last night, other than it took this long to get it.

Did he get lost this time?

Absolutely

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:51 (2578 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

Unsure what you mean, so no.

Absolutely

by BlackstarBSP, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 21:54 (2578 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Unsure what you mean, so no.

He got us (and himself) lost in the 'Vault of Glass' when we played.

+1

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:07 (2578 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

"Whoah, Ottermack, this is so much fun!"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:18 (2578 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Korny, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:23

Running Crota again was fantastic. It's great having it challenging again, and I think the tweaks they've made to the encounters are fantastic. Very well thought out.

Yeah, the difficulty tweaks alone made everything more fun (the Abyss was scary again!), and the Challenge mechanics made the experience feel really fresh, since we had to coordinate different strategies than we were used to...

Also, being able to pull off the challenges with people down was great, since the pressure builds with every death, rather than having people feel despair (Cruel and I almost two-manned Crota for the final attack), which is always a plus in my book.

Best Challenge modes since Golgoroth, I think.

Absolutely

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:21 (2578 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

No doubt! I am sure it was a blast as the other raids will be.

Me too. but . . .

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:52 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've been a long time negative nancy when it comes to Destiny. I think this update is cool for the folks that still play Destiny--it gives them a few more things to do and gives them a decent incentive to do a Destiny world tour and revisit all that Destiny offers before it gets the boot for Destiny 2.

It's not enough to bring me back to Destiny, but it's not meant to be either, I don't think. It's just for the hardcore that are still playing anyway.

I do think all the new gear variations are sort of funny, though. "Here, go earn some more shit that you can't take with you in a few months!" Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're doing a hard reset with Destiny 2, but I still think it's funny.

Sure you will. Uh huh. I believe you.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 15:56 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I just don't really see the point in doing essentially the same stuff over again to earn gear we essentially had a long time ago.

HAHAHA.

Dude, that's all destiny has been since the first DLC.

That's the majority of what Destiny 2 will be as well.

Agree with Korny- you'll be back for your fix.

I'll sit this one out

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16:17 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Agreed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 17:22 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

That's not a bad call

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:05 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Got on with my regular buddies last night for the first time in ages. It was fun, but it also reminded us all, immediately, of the fundamental flaws with this game. The player control is amazing and the levels and enemies are lackluster at best. It really doesn't matter who or what you're fighting; the strategy is almost universally the same. After an hour or so, we all lost interest.

Then I hopped into HZD and holy cow, every single robot encounter, even the "easy" ones, requires a different strategy. It's just great. Oddly enough, the worst part of combat in HZD is fighting humans. They're all pretty much the same. It's fighting dinobots that's really gripping.

I truly hope Des2ny gets it right. The fact that Destiny of today is so dramatically different from the launch title, and yet still doesn't quite hit the mark is both promising and disappointing all at once.

Fingers crossed.

Good news. The record book is pointless.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 19:55 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just ignore it like you should have done with all of the other ones.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 03:46 (2578 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Yes but it is there, looming in the background, and the checklist game design hovers over everything.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 03:57 (2578 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes but it is there, looming in the background, and the checklist game design hovers over everything.

It's still too early to say, but I'm starting to feel like Destiny as it stands right now is probably my favourite version of the game. There is no level-up grind (since I hit max level during the previous update). The crucible has been obliterated to the point where I don't have any need or desire to play Destiny PvP ever again, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by sticking to PvE (whereas in the past I'd play PvP for opportunities to rank up or get a new weapon I wanted). The Raids have always been my favourite thing in Destiny, and now they're finally front and center, but without all the frustrating RNG-dependant levelling issues that plagued them before. And if Crota's end is any indication, the raids have been tweaked and improved.

Plus, we finally have elemental primaries back (as exotics, which is totally fair), they aren't a pain in the butt to acquire, and scoring a few of them makes all other PvE activities more fun than they've been since year 1.

What I'm getting at is: I too find the record books annoying, and somewhat distracting. But I'm finding this one in particular to be very easy to ignore, because it doesn't yield any rewards that I want, and there's all this great stuff to do in the game now that is completely unrelated to the book. Which makes me happy.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 04:08 (2578 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just promise me I can be on your raid team for Des2ny, even if I leave the shanks alive.

Lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 10:36 (2577 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread