Destiny 2 – “Rally the Troops” Worldwide Reveal Trailer (Destiny)

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:00 (2555 days ago)

And Urk says gameplay footage in May.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:08 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

... I'm waiting for somebody else to go first ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:08 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

Anyone who says that wasn't great is RE-ally uptight.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:11 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Better than the GrimBrotherOne-level Punning there sir :)

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:13 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:31 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

Dude, you know me. I'm not uptight at all. I love comedy. Even though I personally would prefer a more serious tone for a Destiny trailer, I'd be totally cool with a comedic approach that was, well, funny. But this just wasn't funny IMO.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:52 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:10

I love Cayde, I'm okay with hamming it up. But using loot to get a group of Guardians riled up about fighting back against the Cabal that just destroyed the city is just plain stupid. Zavala's stuff was great. Cayde's stuff started out fine until that last bit.

This just sets a tone I don't like. I get that it's talking to the player base that likes all the loot. Using that "in universe" sucks, but more importantly, that's not what I care about it. If this is the sort of "story" we can expect from Destiny 2, I might just skip the game entirely. That's fine--like I've said before, at a certain point it's my job to recognize a game just isn't for me, rather than Bungie's job to make a game that caters to me. But this is still incredibly disappointing and the complete opposite direction from what I'd want.

To me...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:09 (2555 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by MacAddictXIV, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:52

It seems like a trailer that is getting me hyped for Destiny 2. I'm really not taking the trailer serious on lore, enemies or how characters are going to act. Frankly, it did it's job to get me engaged with Destiny 2.

In fact, even better, it got all y'all engaged even if you didn't like it. That right there is marketing folks, it doesn't matter if you like it or hate it, it's still getting you talking about it.

truth

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:42 (2555 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It seems like a trailer that is getting me hyped for Destiny 2. I really not taking the trailer serious on lore, enemies or how characters are going to act. Frankly, it did it's job to get me engaged with Destiny 2.

In fact, even better, it got all y'all engaged even if it didn't like it. That right there is marketing folks, it doesn't matter if you like it or hate it, it's still getting you talking about it.

You're certainly not wrong about that :)

Personally, between the teaser and the trailer, I'm now less excited for Destiny 2 than I was a week ago. Ok... "less excited" maybe isn't the right way to put it. I'm still very much looking forward to seeing more of the game. But these trailers have created concerns that I didn't have before. I LOVE Nathan Fillion... but every time Cayde opened his mouth in that trailer, I cringed. If this is what the writing and tone is going to be like in Destiny 2, then I'll probably be even less invested in that side of the game than I am with Destiny 1. And if that is in fact how it plays out, then it's better to know that now so I can go into Des2ny with my expectations calibrated. Better to be disappointed now than on launch day.

truth

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:53 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It seems like a trailer that is getting me hyped for Destiny 2. I really not taking the trailer serious on lore, enemies or how characters are going to act. Frankly, it did it's job to get me engaged with Destiny 2.

In fact, even better, it got all y'all engaged even if it didn't like it. That right there is marketing folks, it doesn't matter if you like it or hate it, it's still getting you talking about it.

Personally, between the teaser and the trailer, I'm now less excited for Destiny 2 than I was a week ago. Ok... "less excited" maybe isn't the right way to put it. I'm still very much looking forward to seeing more of the game. But these trailers have created concerns that I didn't have before. I LOVE Nathan Fillion... but every time Cayde opened his mouth in that trailer, I cringed. If this is what the writing and tone is going to be like in Destiny 2, then I'll probably be even less invested in that side of the game than I am with Destiny 1. And if that is in fact how it plays out, then it's better to know that now so I can go into Des2ny with my expectations calibrated. Better to be disappointed now than on launch day.

I can just bet you that the writers for this and the writers for the story are completely different people. I bet the writers of destiny just checked the script to make sure it didn't horribly break cannon.

truth

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 31, 2017, 04:41 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My one glimmer of hope is that this came from Activision marketing and not Bungie. To say any of the stuff post law of the jungle really accurately captured the tone and feel of Destiny would be wrong. It's possible Des2ny is nothing like this because the marketing is so divorced from the creative side now.

+1

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:06 (2555 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I love Cayde, I'm okay with hamming it up. But using loot to get a group of Guardians riled up about fighting back against the Cabal that just destroyed the city is just plain stupid. Zavala's stuff was great. Cayde's stuff started out fine until that last bit.

This just sets a tone I don't like. I get that it's talking to the player base that likes all the loot. Using that "in universe" sucks, but more importantly, that's not what I care about it. If this is the sort of "story" we can expect from Destiny 2, I might just skip the game entirely. That's fine--like I've said before, at a certain point it's my job to recognize a game just isn't for me, rather than Bungie's job to make a game that caters to me. But this is still incredibly disappointing and the complete opposite direction from what I'd want.

This is exactly how I feel. I enjoyed the trailer *until the bit about a ton of loot*. That's garbage. Loot != gameplay. I would have loved to have heard something about needing new tactics for new enemies or that there are new puzzles to solve. If bungie thinks we play the game only for the loot, they've completely missed the mark.

The loot is super RNG, and which particular item, and which particular roll on that particular item, makes a MASSIVE difference in your effectiveness as a guardian (to the point where early VoG LFG raids wouldn't take you if you didn't have a Gjallerhorn... remember that?). So we want the loot only because we want to be able to compete. The emphasis should not be on loot, but should, rather, be on ensuring fun and competitive gameplay regardless of RNG-based loot drops.

That little button about a ton of loot ruins this for me.

Also, friendly reminder: DO NOT PREORDER.

thatsthejoke.gifv

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:49 (2555 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:25 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

Great? Do you really think it stacks up to the Halo 2 announcement trailer? Not even close.

I still watch that sometimes.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:00 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody, do you know if it ever got put out in HD? What an amazing piece of work. Easily Marty's best Halo music, easily the best trailer I've ever seen.

"The Last Spartan", Halo 2 OST Vol.1

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:02 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

That was a good one

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:04 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

I still think the trailer for The Dark Below was really fantastic. I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

Why can't we launch this from the director?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:15 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

+ 1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:16 (2555 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:13 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Fighting aliens, laughing with friends, comparing loot - this trailer's pretty spot on in advertising more of what the vast majority of my Destiny experience was.

Hopefully actual gameplay footage will show us an epic, intense campaign.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:15 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

Fighting aliens, laughing with friends, comparing loot - this trailer's pretty spot on in advertising more of what the vast majority of my Destiny experience was.

so we lose our gear because the vault is blown up. But then shouldn't I have what's on my person?

Des2ny is not canon :-p

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:25 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

R&R time. Well deserved. You were at a spa. All you had with you was a towel.

I will accept this

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:30 (2555 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

D2: Partial nudity confirmed.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:37 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Exotic Weapon: Towel. Adds "Whip" ability. Bungie pls nerf.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:38 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:52

- No text -

Exotic Weapon: Towel is soooooo OP!

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:58 (2555 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:56 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

so we lose our gear because the vault is blown up. But then shouldn't I have what's on my person?

They would have had to blow up Felwinter Peak and the Reef too since I can get my stuff from either of those as well.

Nah

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:04 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

They would have had to blow up Felwinter Peak and the Reef too since I can get my stuff from either of those as well.

Those were merely terminals, the vault was a server in the tower...

that's what I'm telling myself at least.

Though it does beg the question, what WILL have happened to Felwinter and the Reef. I can assume that Felwinter fell alongside the tower. I doubt the cabal would only hit the city.

Nah

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:36 (2555 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Though it does beg the question, what WILL have happened to Felwinter and the Reef. I can assume that Felwinter fell alongside the tower. I doubt the cabal would only hit the city.

I'd guess we'll temporarily abandon the inner solar system.

Nah

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:48 (2555 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So the Vanguard doesn't back up their servers.

Nah

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:12 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

They do, but the backup is in the same physical disk as the original

Look

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 31, 2017, 12:26 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

So the Vanguard doesn't back up their servers.

If some aliens hit earth and eliminate all the servers here, my backups will be worth shit too, no matter where they are on earth.

Look

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, March 31, 2017, 14:00 (2554 days ago) @ kidtsunami

If some aliens hit earth and eliminate all the servers here, my backups will be worth shit too, no matter where they are on earth.

If you backup your stuff on the cloud, it will be above the Earth.
[image]

hahahaha +1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 31, 2017, 14:34 (2554 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Nah, The Tower delivers loot through pneumatic tubes.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:07 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

Space tubes too.

Nah, The Tower delivers loot through pneumatic tubes.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, March 31, 2017, 03:37 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

Space tubes too.

Oh my god, I am SO happy you phrased it like that...I am shaking so hard, and in tears. XD

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:33 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

I like your thought and agree with it. It's a video game, so promote what makes the game fun. I'm always talking about how much I loved the Halo 3 promotion, but it was pretty gloomy. It made me excited for the story...not so much the game. I suppose since the Destiny story is arguably non-existent, focusing on gameplay is the smart option.

Since I couldn't understand what Zavala called the bad guy, I will forever call him Gary.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:36 (2555 days ago) @ ManKitten

I like your thought and agree with it. It's a video game, so promote what makes the game fun. I'm always talking about how much I loved the Halo 3 promotion, but it was pretty gloomy. It made me excited for the story...not so much the game. I suppose since the Destiny story is arguably non-existent, focusing on gameplay is the smart option.

Since I couldn't understand what Zavala called the bad guy, I will forever call him Gary.

Implying that he will ever be called by his real name by anyone ever...

Gary destroyed my loot, Gary gon' die...

Leaked footage from Raid! (totes legit)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:31 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

In a way, it's a more honest trailer than most.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:55 (2555 days ago) @ ManKitten

Gaul or something... but yes, Gary!

And yeah, these advertisements feel more like a reaction to what shined in Destiny - what it became- instead of setting up impossible-to-satisfy hype like most big games try to do (and at least for me, what Bungie has done in the past).

I of course still hope the beat of the campaign is significantly improved and we get a little more of what was great in the Grimoire integrated into the actual storylines, but in a way, I'd rather have an honest, light-hearted trailer like this one as opposed to say, trailers that are better than the game itself. *Cough-Cough-Halo2-Cough-Cough* ;)

In a way, it's a more honest trailer than most.

by yakaman, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:26 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

I of course still hope the beat of the campaign is significantly improved and we get a little more of what was great in the Grimoire integrated into the actual storylines, but in a way, I'd rather have an honest, light-hearted trailer like this one as opposed to say, trailers that are better than the game itself. *Cough-Cough-Halo2-Cough-Cough* ;)

Let them under-promise and over-deliver. We all know what D1 was, and what we really loved is kinda what they showed (aliens, laughter, loot). I expect they will rectify two big things:

1.) Story
2.) Rapid deployment of content

We'll see. :)

I love the D1 live action trailer for that reason

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:57 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

Gaul or something... but yes, Gary!

And yeah, these advertisements feel more like a reaction to what shined in Destiny - what it became- instead of setting up impossible-to-satisfy hype like most big games try to do (and at least for me, what Bungie has done in the past).

I thought the "Venus baby!" live action trailer was great, because it was an honest and somewhat accurate representation of the experience of playing Destiny with my friends. Having fun flying around the solar system, silly banter, etc. This time around, Bungie seems to taking that side of the experience and bringing it straight into the in-universe narrative, which is a bold choice (a choice I personally don't like, but bold nonetheless).

In this new trailer we have Cayde (a wise-cracking guardian, but a guardian all the same) totally hamming it up in front of a bunch of other guardians whom have all just witnessed the destruction of the last human city. The city they were charged to protect. But they're all just standing around looking bored and disinterested and tired of Cayde's goofy speech, so Cayde tells them they'll get lots of sweet loot and all of a sudden they're cheering and excited.

This is clearly Bungie giving a nod and a wink to the players, but they're doing it in-universe, which is a strong departure from their usual style. I know that *I* get excited about loot, but I'd like to think my Guardian has slightly more altruistic motivations when it comes to fighting the darkness.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:05 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

He is giving a terribly depressing and unmotivating speech. And then he gives them something positive to distract themselves from the horror around them. Additionally, weird Guardian habits aren't new to the lore.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:13 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Queen Mara Sov largely bought the assistance of The City in tracking down Skolas by offering them access to her treasure vaults... Guardians in it specifically for the loot was even directly mentioned, I believe. And certainly the Traveler empowered warlords that were in power before The City became a real thing weren't in it for altruistic purposes.

Maybe all the heroic all for one and one for all heroes followed Zavala right and all the ones in it for the loot followed Cayde-6 to the right? :p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:18 (2555 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Queen Mara Sov largely bought the assistance of The City in tracking down Skolas by offering them access to her treasure vaults... Guardians in it specifically for the loot was even directly mentioned, I believe. And certainly the Traveler empowered warlords that were in power before The City became a real thing weren't in it for altruistic purposes.

Maybe all the heroic all for one and one for all heroes followed Zavala right and all the ones in it for the loot followed Cayde-6 to the right? :p

I think that would be a really interesting angle to explore in-game. We know there are splinter factions of (former?) guardians out there, but none of that has really been examined or developed through the story missions.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:40 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just wait for Destiny 2: Expansion 1. Pretty sure we'll have at least some of that explored. Or at least I think it is a reasonably tempered expectation.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 21:30 (2555 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Just wait for Destiny 2: Expansion 1. Pretty sure we'll have at least some of that explored. Or at least I think it is a reasonably tempered expectation.

Sure looks that way. Looking forward to it :)

Penis baby!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 21:37 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

PENIS!!!

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 23:28 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I don't know these people

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:16 (2555 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

- No text -

Again, Johnson pokes his head out and rises to the occasion.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 23:17 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is clearly Bungie giving a nod and a wink to the players, but they're doing it in-universe, which is a strong departure from their usual style. I know that *I* get excited about loot, but I'd like to think my Guardian has slightly more altruistic motivations when it comes to fighting the darkness.

Firstly, I'm really proud of that subject line. :)

Secondly, I still view both of these ads as ads, not in-game story cinematics. I guess I just don't put much stock in or get excited by trailers much anymore, especially the dark, moody "a storm is coming" sequel trailer I've seen a thousand times, so any departure from that is refreshing to me. If this is the actual, beginning cinematic, I may feel more like you do, but I doubt it will be. If it is though... I'll reveal to you all my first name! :)

Lastly, a nod and a wink to the players in-universe is actually something I've seen in almost every Bungie game and I've come to expect it! I even missed it in all the moodiness of Reach! I guess that's the main reason why the two of us see these trailers so differently: to me they're only a little tad more over the top than Sgt. Johnson spilling forth three different ludicrous speeches in the midst of Earth being invaded and Mombassa being destroyed and then cocking a machine gun and saying "I know what the ladies like." And that's not even considering his after-credits appearances!

Hell, Sgt. Johnson's final words are "Send me out with a bang." :D

The big difference here is that Destiny's Johnson (hehe) is introducing the marketing campaign. But I dont think that's bad for the real game at all! If hypothetically Bungie had used a pretty version of that Johnson bridge speech I mentioned above to reveal Halo 2 instead of its awesome E3 cinematic demo...well, instead of at first being disappointed by the final game (trust me, I grew to love it for its own strengths), I would have been blown away by it! So I guess for me that's why this trailer is just a fun little thing to not worry about too much. :)

You have changed my mind about this trailer.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 23:28 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:14 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

Firstly, I'm really proud of that subject line. :)

Secondly, I still view both of these ads as ads, not in-game story cinematics. I guess I just don't put much stock in or get excited by trailers much anymore, especially the dark, moody "a storm is coming" sequel trailer I've seen a thousand times, so any departure from that is refreshing to me. If this is the actual, beginning cinematic, I may feel more like you do, but I doubt it will be. If it is though... I'll reveal to you all my first name! :)

Lastly, a nod and a wink to the players in-universe is actually something I've seen in almost every Bungie game and I've come to expect it! I even missed it in all the moodiness of Reach! I guess that's the main reason why the two of us see these trailers so differently: to me they're only a little tad more over the top than Sgt. Johnson spilling forth three different ludicrous speeches in the midst of Earth being invaded and Mombassa being destroyed and then cocking a machine gun and saying "I know what the ladies like." And that's not even considering his after-credits appearances!

Hell, Sgt. Johnson's final words are "Send me out with a bang." :D

The big difference here is that Destiny's Johnson (hehe) is introducing the marketing campaign. But I dont think that's bad for the real game at all! If hypothetically Bungie had used a pretty version of that Johnson bridge speech I mentioned above to reveal Halo 2 instead of its awesome E3 cinematic demo...well, instead of at first being disappointed by the final game (trust me, I grew to love it for its own strengths), I would have been blown away by it! So I guess for me that's why this trailer is just a fun little thing to not worry about too much. :)

I think my reaction comes down to a few things. I struggle to view this trailer as a "fun little thing" because I know how much time, money, and planning goes into every single aspect of its production. This trailer is a very big deal to Bungie, because a large portion of their potential sales is dependant on trailers and other marketing. So it does make me take anything they release seriously in terms of "this is how they've chosen to represent their game".

The other thing is I just don't think the trailer was well done or entertaining in its own right. Setting aside all thought on how this trailer represents the game or any of that stuff, I just found it lame. So I can't really appreciate it ok its own merits either, because I just don't think it was any good.

The Halo comparisons are interesting. To me, Halo was jammed full of pop-culture references and winks to the player right from the start. Johnson himself is all but plagiarized straight Aliens. His cutscenes near the beginning of Halo CE sets up the kind of character he is, and the type of humour he brings. But he's also not alone. There are grunts cracking one-lines, hilarious marines, Elites that yell "wort wort wort". Bungie's humour permeates the game. But that doesn't exist in Destiny. Bungie's humour feels like it isn't even there. There's just Nathon Fillion being Nathon Fillion. And when they want more humour, all they do is add more Fillion. It just doesn't fit, IMO :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:18 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I am trying to remember, because I haven't transcribed this interview yet so I am going from memory, but during Halo's development Jaime Griesemer attended a marketing meeting after literally nobody else at Bungie could bother showing up, because what the hell. The agency touts all their metrics and stuff, and shows off a would be ad for the game, hyper targeted to the demographic. It's nothing but explosions, and guns, and action, all set to heavy metal with rapid cuts and furious action. Jamie, without a word, got up, walked out, and told everybody else that this agency absolutely in no way shape or form is allowed to do any promotion for the game because they just didn't get it.

Member those days?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:23 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are these the same days that had Breaking Benjamin on the soundtrack, Master Chief on Mountain Dews, and ads before movies featuring the Chief standing in front of a giant explosion? :p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:23 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

Are these the same days that had Breaking Benjamin on the soundtrack, Master Chief on Mountain Dews, and ads before movies featuring the Chief standing in front of a giant explosion? :p

Ah, this was BEFORE that! :-)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:26 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

... am I the only one who actually liked the Halo 2 soundtrack? Yes, even the licensed music, lol

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:37 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The in game versions of the licensed songs are pretty much the best parts of the soundtrack.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:42 (2555 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:39 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

... am I the only one who actually liked the Halo 2 soundtrack? Yes, even the licensed music, lol

I had actually forgotten about the licensed music until today because when I ripped the album 12 years ago I immediately deleted those tracks, haha!

I... was a very pretentous music connoisseur in middle school. That Levi would have said your music, Cruel, is about 10,000 times better than all of those bands combined.... Secret time: I am still that Levi. :}

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:43 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

I had actually forgotten about the licensed music until today because when I ripped the album 12 years ago I immediately deleted those tracks, haha!

I... was a very pretentous music connoisseur in middle school. That Levi would have said your music, Cruel, is about 10,000 times better than all of those bands combined.... Secret time: I am still that Levi. :}

Lol... you're too kind :)

Also enjoyed the non Marty bands.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:44 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Some of it was blah, but Breaking Benjamin was amazing and Hoobastank was actually a favourite band of mine. Still quietly like them a lot.

I think probably the fight with the hunters in Halo 2 with the BB music was really cool and felt epic. Same for the Incubus banshee chase.

However, I think standing alone, the Incubus songs blew ass.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 11:35 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

No. I liked that Breaking Benjamin song alright, and I love the Incubus stuff. It's better than the trash generic metal they replaced it with for Anniversery. I still can't play that Banshee section with the new music and feel good about it.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 31, 2017, 12:51 (2555 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No. I liked that Breaking Benjamin song alright, and I love the Incubus stuff. It's better than the trash generic metal they replaced it with for Anniversery. I still can't play that Banshee section with the new music and feel good about it.

They replaced it? Augh.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 15:40 (2552 days ago) @ dogcow

I laughed out loud when that BB song came on

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 31, 2017, 12:29 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

GARY! Man, I was so excited for a minute...

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, March 31, 2017, 03:27 (2555 days ago) @ ManKitten

I need to marathon the first few seasons of RvB again...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 31, 2017, 03:31 (2555 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

They are now on netflix. I'm on season 8.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, March 31, 2017, 03:33 (2555 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Cabal dogs (Caragors) confirmed.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:18 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

Shark dogs

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:45 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Heyyy, that looks familiar...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:12 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

I ain't even gonna say from where...

[image]

[image]

D'aww. I miss my Kubrow

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:17 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Heyyy, that looks familiar...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:20 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

I though he looked very Final-Fantasy-esque. In fact, a lot of Destiny's art direction (and music) reminds me of Final Fantasy VIII.

Eek the Cat was clearly the inspiration.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:46 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

[image]

[image]

^^^ He's right ^^^

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:45 (2555 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

^^^ You Know ^^^

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:56 (2555 days ago) @ unoudid

[image]

Avril is definitely the inspiration.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:03 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Got a massive Impossible Creatures nostalgia hit

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:36 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Is it just me, or does the guy with the eye scar...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:32 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

...look like DeeJ?

Expansion 1: Osiris, Exp 2: Rasputin!?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:33 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

[image]

THE WORLD OF DESTINY 2

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:40 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Humanity’s last safe city has fallen to an overwhelming invasion force, led by Ghaul, the imposing commander of the brutal Red Legion. He has stripped the city’s Guardians of their power, and forced the survivors to flee. You will venture to mysterious, unexplored worlds of our solar system to discover an arsenal of weapons and devastating new combat abilities. To defeat the Red Legion and confront Ghaul, you must reunite humanity’s scattered heroes, stand together, and fight back to reclaim our home.

THE WORLD OF DESTINY 2

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:54 (2555 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Humanity’s last safe city has fallen to an overwhelming invasion force, led by Ghaul, the imposing commander of the brutal Red Legion. He has stripped the city’s Guardians of their power, and forced the survivors to flee. You will venture to mysterious, unexplored worlds of our solar system to discover an arsenal of weapons and devastating new combat abilities. To defeat the Red Legion and confront Ghaul, you must reunite humanity’s scattered heroes, stand together, and fight back to reclaim our home.

Now that sounds interesting. Wish the trailer would have had a tone more in line with that description.

Translation: We got rid of sunsingers

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:01 (2555 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

You will venture to mysterious, unexplored worlds of our solar system to discover an arsenal of weapons and devastating new combat abilities.

THE WORLD OF DESTINY 2

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:30 (2555 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I could easily see this game following the plot of Power Rangers the movie (1995). Alien shows up, destroys the morphing grid, travel to another planet, discover ancient powers, come back to Earth, use Zords...or something along those lines.

- MacGyver10

Requires kick-ass soundtrack.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:07 (2555 days ago) @ MacGyver10

Movie was dumb, but bomb ass soundtrack. Van Hagar, RHCP before they sucked, Edgar Winter, They Might Be Giants. What a bad movie though.

Requires kick-ass soundtrack.

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Friday, March 31, 2017, 13:04 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

Fun Fact: I bought two They Might Be Giants albums for the first time after hearing that brief little bit of 'Sensurround' when the dad pulls up in his car. I've now even seen them in concert. All because a 7-second blip in a movie!

- MacGyver10

Destiny 2 – “Rally the Troops” Worldwide Reveal Trailer

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:43 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

[Enter Destiny player one, wearing "Destiny Skull" shirt, walking on a city sidewalk and humming "Eighth"]
"I love me some deep dark mysterious Destiny."

[Enter Destiny player two, wearing "King Cayde-6" shirt, walking the other direction on the sidewalk and humming "The Last Array"]
"I sure do miss the loot cave."

[CRASH!]

DP1: You got this silly hunter dude in my favorite game!

DP2: You got this boring old bald guy in my favorite game!

Together: YUM!

[Jingle, "Two great tastes in one video game, DESTINY 2!" ]

And ... scene.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:47 (2555 days ago) @ Kermit

[Enter Destiny player two, wearing "King Cayde-6" shirt,

I need this shirt.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:34 (2555 days ago) @ Kermit

[Enter Destiny player one, wearing "Destiny Skull" shirt, walking on a city sidewalk and humming "Eighth"]
"I love me some deep dark mysterious Destiny."

[Enter Destiny player two, wearing "King Cayde-6" shirt, walking the other direction on the sidewalk and humming "The Last Array"]
"I sure do miss the loot cave."

[CRASH!]

DP1: You got this silly hunter dude in my favorite game!

DP2: You got this boring old bald guy in my favorite game!

Together: YUM!

[Jingle, "Two great tastes in one video game, DESTINY 2!" ]

And ... scene.

I can't remember if you've played Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, but perhaps my favorite thing about the storytelling in that game is the way they use the main character, Edward Conway, as a sort of foil for the rest of the uber-serious plot surrounding the Assassins and the Templars. Edward gets caught up in the struggle between the factions for completely self-serving reasons. All he cares about is making money (which serves as the perfect in-universe justification for the player's constant search for treasure and loot). But what makes it so good is that Edward's lack of interest in the greater plot does not come at the expense of that plot. The game does continue the story of the centuries-long conflict between secret societies, with characters going through all the struggles and sacrifices one would associate with such a struggle. Edward rolls his eyes at most of it, but he is only ever 1 character in a much larger world.

So far, the story in Destiny isn't strong enough to poke fun at it and still have it hold up. Bungie appears to be trying to appeal to both sides, except 1 of those sides doesn't have a leg to stand on (yet).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:45 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So far, the story in Destiny isn't strong enough to poke fun at it and still have it hold up. Bungie appears to be trying to appeal to both sides, except 1 of those sides doesn't have a leg to stand on (yet).

I actually don't disagree but am hoping we just haven't seen that strong story yet. I still want (and hope for) a story that I can really care about.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:52 (2555 days ago) @ Kermit

I actually don't disagree but am hoping we just haven't seen that strong story yet. I still want (and hope for) a story that I can really care about.

That's my hope as well. Could be they're aiming to keep expectations surrounding the story at zero, so there's no risk of an "overpromise, underdeliver" situation.

Half of it was good.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:46 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

No Zeppelin? Pre-order cancelled.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:51 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

I needed that for my bingo sheet :-(

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 15:52 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Classic Bungie: Destiny 2 soundtrack to feature Hoobastank

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:07 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Would buy deluxe edition if it had Hoobastank.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:58 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Should have Breaking Benjamin for that nostalgic feel

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:01 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Classic Bungie: Destiny 2 soundtrack to feature Incubus*

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:48 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

No Zeppelin? Pre-order cancelled. +1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:28 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Destiny 2 – A convenient way to wipe your loot

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:08 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I lol'd at that in the trailer. Not complaining by any means.

Makes me wonder what they'll do with each new game regarding the wiping of your inventory.

Half the trailer was good. Half made me cringe.

PC option has me interested. Especially if there is console cross save or other integration. Not banking on it though.

I'll sit this out a bit and let you all take the early adopter plunge.

Excited to see you all excited :D

So I guess no guardian apartments…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:21 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

Source?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:33 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

:p

Any apprtments will have been blown up! :-p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:36 (2555 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Guardian RV Park confirmed.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:45 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

LOL

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:08 (2555 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

There will definitely be Guardian apartments in Destiny 2...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:50 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:11

*Black screen*

"Eyes up, Guardian."

Your eyes open, you're lying down in your own bed, inside your Guardian apartment.

"Did you have a good sleep? Did you... dream? Anyway, a Frame just dropped off your outfit for today's ceremony. We can head out once you're ready, but Cayde says that we still have some time if you need it."

Trophies hang from your walls (depending on which Raid bosses you've killed in D1), and you get to look around the room. Your journals (record books) lie on a table next to the last helmet that you were wearing in D1, and you can go through and look at all of your accomplishments (the apartment's decorations depend on which things you've had checked off in the books).

If all of your books are completed, Ghost makes some comments about your experiences and your legend (custom emblem unlocks).

You can go to each of the trophies on the walls and get some insight into each of them with a Ghost scan, each one unlocking a custom emblem (including the Scarab Heart emblem if you scan a Lighthouse trophy).

"We should probably get things tidied up around here if you're going to have your Fireteam over after the ceremony. I'll get that one Frame to sweep up in here while we're out. She does still owe us for finding her broom."

Once you're done looking around and unlocking emblems, you get dressed in your ceremonial attire, and head out to start the game.

THERE WILL BE A TON OF LOOT!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:28 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

There was a ton of loot in Destiny 1, but there was too much randomness to it all. Too much of the loot was random, how to get the loot was random and so on. That quote actually makes me not excited for Destiny 2 at all. I don't care about loot, I care about emergent gameplay, interesting storylines, and just plain having fun.

THERE WILL BE A TON OF LOOT!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:36 (2555 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

There was a ton of loot in Destiny 1, but there was too much randomness to it all. Too much of the loot was random, how to get the loot was random and so on. That quote actually makes me not excited for Destiny 2 at all. I don't care about loot, I care about emergent gameplay, interesting storylines, and just plain having fun.

I latched on to loot in Destiny 1 because that was the only thing to latch on to. I WANTED to latch on to the story, be invested in the characters and the world... this trailer makes me feel like Bungie has given up on all that and decided to "embrace" what Destiny ended up being. That may or may not prove to be a good decision... it will all come down to the execution, I guess.

Also, anyone notice the similarities to Halo 2

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:37 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

It's almost like Zavala is Master Chief and Cayde is the Arbiter? Maybe that's a bit of a stretch...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:41 (2555 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It's almost like Zavala is Master Chief and Cayde is the Arbiter? Maybe that's a bit of a stretch...

Considering the audience of this game...if you've got Fillion...you use Fillion...to the Fillionist.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 31, 2017, 04:46 (2555 days ago) @ ManKitten

Considering the audience of this game...if you've got Fillion...you use Fillion...to the Fillionist.

Restraint is important.

If you keep playing up a character's traits, then you have to always one up it to make it still have impact. Otherwise you just get used to it and it's a new base line. You see this all the time in TV shows where in the later seasons characters are just hyper eggagerated versions of their season one selves.

This is called Flanderization. Google it.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 05:29 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:42 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Restraint is important.

If you keep playing up a character's traits, then you have to always one up it to make it still have impact. Otherwise you just get used to it and it's a new base line. You see this all the time in TV shows where in the later seasons characters are just hyper eggagerated versions of their season one selves.

Great point. Compare Cayde's dialogue in vanilla Destiny, to TTK, to RoI, to these trailers. There's a very clear ramp-up in the level of sarcasm and his whole "shtick". Personally, I think they hit a good spot with TTK. I find the most recent Cayde stuff obnoxious, even in tiny doses.

Flanderization of Cayde

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 31, 2017, 13:03 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Great point. Compare Cayde's dialogue in vanilla Destiny, to TTK, to RoI, to these trailers. There's a very clear ramp-up in the level of sarcasm and his whole "shtick". Personally, I think they hit a good spot with TTK. I find the most recent Cayde stuff obnoxious, even in tiny doses.

Seriously, the Flanderization has happened SO EXTREMELY FAST for Cayde. I hope they were just hamming it up for the trailer, but I fear that, because people loved the character so much in TTK, they're overdoing & over using the Cayde shtick and ruining the character.

Flanderization of Cayde

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, March 31, 2017, 13:52 (2554 days ago) @ dogcow

Come on guys...appreciate the juxtaposition. How lame would it be if it were just Zavala up there giving his "4th quarter, 2 outs, down by a goal" speech. Zavala is the vehicle for dire circumstance and driving a story line. Cayde is the vehicle for fun and player engagement.

And it seems that everyone is forgetting that this video was promotional! I could be wrong about this (I was wrong once) but I thought there was a Bungie Vidoc years ago where one of the devs said something like "If everyone hates it you messed up and if everyone loves it you messed up. If you can find that perfect mixture of praise and complaint, you nailed it." Well, whoever said it...this trailer did exactly that. It's created excitement, conversation, debate, praise and complaint.

They nailed it imo.

Flanderization of Cayde

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 31, 2017, 19:54 (2554 days ago) @ ManKitten

Come on guys...appreciate the juxtaposition. How lame would it be if it were just Zavala up there giving his "4th quarter, 2 outs, down by a goal" speech. Zavala is the vehicle for dire circumstance and driving a story line. Cayde is the vehicle for fun and player engagement.

And it seems that everyone is forgetting that this video was promotional! I could be wrong about this (I was wrong once) but I thought there was a Bungie Vidoc years ago where one of the devs said something like "If everyone hates it you messed up and if everyone loves it you messed up. If you can find that perfect mixture of praise and complaint, you nailed it." Well, whoever said it...this trailer did exactly that. It's created excitement, conversation, debate, praise and complaint.

They nailed it imo.

Oh, I thought it was funny, I loved the trailer. I really enjoyed watching Zavala give a good motivational speech while the charismatic Cayde is bombing it. I was just voicing concerns I have about a beloved character being flanderized. Please don't ruin Cayde, I love him just how he is! That's all.

Flanderization of Cayde

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 31, 2017, 14:24 (2554 days ago) @ dogcow

Seriously, the Flanderization has happened SO EXTREMELY FAST for Cayde. I hope they were just hamming it up for the trailer, but I fear that, because people loved the character so much in TTK, they're overdoing & over using the Cayde shtick and ruining the character.

Sadly I'm betting on the latter.

I've kind of just accepted that Bungie isn't the go to for story anymore. At this point even Quantic Dream is better. But Quantic Dream doesn't have amazing co-op raids.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 17:56 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

• Regular edition just comes with the game for $60
  • Regular edition + Expansion pass bundle for $90
  • Digital Deluxe for $100 with all of above plus:
    • Legendary Sword
    • Legendary Player Emote
    • Cabal Empire Themed Emblem
  • Limited Edition (appears to be Gamestop exclusive) for $100 with all of above plus:
    • Limited Edition Steelbook® Case
    • Cabal-themed Collector's Box
    • Booklet with secrets into the Cabal Empire
    • Cabal Schematic
    • Collectible Postcard Images
    • Cabal Military Pawns
  • Collector's Edition with all of the above for $250 plus:
    • Destiny 2 - Frontier Bag - Can be worn as a backpack or messenger bag
    • 15" Laptop/Tablet Sleeve with protective pocket slip
    • Solar panel USB charger with built-in light
    • Paracord
    • Solar blanket

Limited and Collector's are only available with disc as far as I'm aware, no digital option that I can see.

Oh also, Expansion Pass this time costs $40 instead of $35

(Yes Digital Deluxe is a rip off again because of the Gamestop Limited Edition)

Collector's edition: tldr

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:10 (2555 days ago) @ Xenos

What can we buy for $5 on aliexpress shipped?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:23 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

What can we buy for $5 on aliexpress shipped?

• Solar panel USB charger with built-in light
  • Paracord
  • Solar blanket

For $150 over the next highest version. At those prices my bugout bag is worth a fortune.

Post contents. Let's guess its worth with a tricorn on it.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:27 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:35

I priced this stuff out on eBay, shipping included.

paracord 75 cents
Solar blanket 95 cents
solar panel charger 6.50
Decorative box $1.20
Small book $2

If we add this up, we're paying a 1300% price premium.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:51 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

Let's see, it's been a little while since I went through it, and I'm at work.

Sawyer Mini water filter
Iodine tablets
First aid kit (I assembled, not preassembled store bought)
Magnesium rod
Couple of lighters
Mora knife
Leatherman
Change of clothes (Nylon and merino wool. No cotton)
Kahr CM9 and extra rounds
Paracord
Solar blanket
Couple of usb chargers
Couple of small flashlights
Extra batteries
Glow sticks
Need to get new food ration. I had been packing one of those 3 day emergency food bricks, but then I did a few days of hiking while just eating it. Just the thought of eating it again makes me sick.

Take the pistol out of the list and the collector's edition may be more than I spent on the bag.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, March 31, 2017, 18:18 (2554 days ago) @ bluerunner

Sawyer Mini water filter [-]
Off-brand filter straw
Iodine tablets [-]
First aid kit (I assembled, not preassembled store bought) [X]
Magnesium rod [X]
Couple of lighters [X]
Water-tight matchbox
Mora knife [-]
Winchester Bowie
My own little Saex I forged myself #pride
Leatherman [X]
SOG machete/saw combo
Change of socks (wool) [X]
Kahr CM9 and extra rounds [-]
Collapsible Longbow w/ carbon arrows
Paracord [X]
Solar blanket [X]
Couple of usb chargers [X]
Couple of small flashlights [X]
Extra batteries [X]
Glow sticks [X]

Compass
Dental floss
Metal snare wire

And I'm sure there's other little odds and ends I'm forgetting. Not to mention the bag itself. But I'm with you, Blue. All of that together save the bow is still cheaper than that super deluxe edition. :/

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:56 (2555 days ago) @ bluerunner

When I realized that was the difference I stopped being salty that they sold out everywhere by the time I could get the pages loaded.

Anyone else wishing this was more Empire Strikes Back-ish?

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:17 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I really don't like that the Last City is already destroyed. If we are really guardians, we would have been ready for an attack, tried to fight it off, and failed.

Give me that story.

Give me a story where our last bastion, the last bit of Earth that we have not surrendered to the Darkness is taken from us. Let me live that challenge, that pain, that loss. Then, and only then, does it make sense to rally and win the city back.

It feels cheap to just destroy the city to move the story. It should have been the story.

At least, it's the story I would have written.

The 4th worst Star Wars movie? No thanks.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:21 (2555 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

that is a weird way to spell "best"

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:07 (2555 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Calling Empire the best when Rogue One exists? Weird...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:23 (2555 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

What you get when you retcon out Kyle Katarn

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:41 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:59 (2555 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The only thing Kyle Katarn ever did, as far as I'm concerned, is get horribly lost, no clip through a bunch of walls, get even more horribly lost, trigger mission events out of order, and never complete any storyline... Not sure much how moviegoers watching Rogue One would have enjoyed that...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 21:04 (2555 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The only thing Kyle Katarn ever did, as far as I'm concerned, is get horribly lost, no clip through a bunch of walls, get even more horribly lost, trigger mission events out of order, and never complete any storyline... Not sure much how moviegoers watching Rogue One would have enjoyed that...

He also got completely owned by Jacen Solo. That would've been kinda cool to watch ;)

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 21:24 (2555 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You and I had very different experiences with the character.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 22:29 (2555 days ago) @ Ragashingo

He also helped a young Padawan through the best Star Wars game to date.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 23:24 (2555 days ago) @ ZackDark

He also helped a young Padawan through the best Star Wars game to date.

Thankfully he is STILL a vital character in the X-Wing game and has saved my ass from Dath Vader, Prince Xizor, and Kylo Ren...COMBINED.

[image]

Rogue One barely rates above the prequels.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 11:38 (2555 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Definitely worse.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 12:16 (2555 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been thinking about it, and Rogue One feels more Star Warsy than The Force Awakens. Slowly TFA seems worse and worse to me. It's not Return bad, but it may get there.

New rankings, including Rogue One, about which I had forgotten.

Best to worst.

SW, ROTS, TPM, ESB, AOTC, R1, TFA, ROTJ

I feel like we watched different movies.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 15:31 (2554 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:25 (2555 days ago) @ BeardFade

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I really don't like that the Last City is already destroyed. If we are really guardians, we would have been ready for an attack, tried to fight it off, and failed.

Give me that story.

Give me a story where our last bastion, the last bit of Earth that we have not surrendered to the Darkness is taken from us. Let me live that challenge, that pain, that loss. Then, and only then, does it make sense to rally and win the city back.

It feels cheap to just destroy the city to move the story. It should have been the story.

At least, it's the story I would have written.

Some games have done the thing where you start the game fully powered, and then get "de-powered" very early on. Your suggestion would be a good way to justify something like that. The game opens up with our guardians fighting to defend the city, but at the end of the first mission, the tower gets destroyed along with all our gear.

Now THERE'S a way to get Destiny fans emotionally involved in the story. Reveal to us that our gear actually does carry over into D2, then force us to watch it all go up in flames XD

How D2 SHOULD start

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:31 (2555 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Schedonnardus, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:36

Play through 1st mission, face impossible odds, then:

[image]

.......New Character Creator opens.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:38 (2555 days ago) @ BeardFade

Give me that story.

We might still get that. Think about the Halo 3 announcement trailer. This scene happens well into the game.
The Halo 2 trailer was a heavily modified ending of the first mission.
The Halo Reach announcement trailer was super bland.

Point is...announcement trailers rarely represent the game in full. Just something to get you excited. Who knows where they will start us off.

True. What if D2 has more user-based choices?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 18:44 (2555 days ago) @ ManKitten

We might still get that. Think about the Halo 3 announcement trailer. This scene happens well into the game.
The Halo 2 trailer was a heavily modified ending of the first mission.

What if we fight for the city at the beginning, and end up getting de-leveled. From the looks of the trailer, Zavala gets separated from Ikora/Cayde. What if missions have optional objectives, and the players' choices impact the direction you take?

I don't think that your choices will effect the story too much, considering it's an online co-op game with matchmaking, but the route to the end could vary in some missions.

If it's like D1, you won't even be able to play Co-op until you unlock the new social space (tower equivalent). So having a "chose your own adventure" in the opening sequence might not be too far-fetched.

Or perhaps the opening is different for the different classes/races (wasn't that the original plan for D1?).

#TeamZavala

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:13 (2555 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

#TeamFirefly

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:15 (2555 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

#TeamSylens*

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:50 (2555 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

#TeamSpeak

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 21:39 (2555 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Is This Everyone's Kind Of Cayde?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 20:16 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Because I sure laughed.

Gear up, Guardians!

\m/

Is This Everyone's Kind Of Cayde?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 22:24 (2555 days ago) @ Morpheus

This was double the Cayde with extra cheese...but it was still Cayde.

I'm OK with this.

-Disciple

Just realized something

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:12 (2555 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

None of the people that Cayde is talking to are willing to engage, except for when loot is promised.

Is this a hint that the game isn't going to be worth playing but for the rewards? Either way, not a great message to send.

Just realized something

by Avateur @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 00:58 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Only to half the people who play it. The trailer made me smile, but beyond that, all I got was a Destiny 1 vibe. I don't want more of the same. Also, a CGI trailer with nothing in it to let me know about gameplay or what's coming only turns me off further. No way they get a pre-order out of me or any season pass purchases at any point in time. Bungie's gonna have to earn this one. At least they'll show something actually having to do with the game in May I guess.

I'm in it for the money Princess...

by squidnh3, Friday, March 31, 2017, 09:45 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I expect to be well paid.

Just realized something

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, March 31, 2017, 12:57 (2555 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Just realized something

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, March 31, 2017, 18:53 (2554 days ago) @ Cody Miller

None of the people that Cayde is talking to are willing to engage, except for when loot is promised.

I actually really liked this. It seems that some folks assume that because some ancient human/awoken/exo was resurrected by their ghost that automatically makes them good people willing to sacrifice everything for others. It makes more sense to me that there would be elements of the Guardian forces who are self serving, small minded, or even cowards.

I like to think of Cayde's scene as being less general humor and more deliberate story-telling. Cayde calls them a "bunch of dirty misfits." I think it would be cool if there was an actual reason behind him using those words. Maybe Cayde and Ikora went to rally the dregs of Guardian society. The one's who aren't noble, or self-sacrificing, the one's who maybe skipped out a little on that last big battle.

Conjecture perhaps, but if you look at the two crowds body language you can perhaps glean some insight. Zavalas group are all mostly standing, many of them wear helmets and have weapons drawn. Conversely Ikora and Cayde's group are just as likely to be sitting, several of them don't have a helmet in sight, and the majority, while armed, are keeping their weapons stowed rather than held at the ready. Instead of earnest expressions of interest or concern, they've got arms crossed and even show genuine reactions of fear at Cayde's threat of death.

Hell, you can even interpret Ikora's behavior as somewhat un-trusting. Given that she never puts her shotgun away. Given that she's the leader of the Hidden (I think?), it makes sense to me that she doesn't quite want to lower her guard around these less than reputable Guardians.

I could certainly see such a group as that being more driven by the promise of rewards rather than calls to altruism.

At least that was my take on the scenario.

PS: I also think Bungie is trying to tell us that in Destiny 2 we might be able to fight and stuff without helmets on. Neat idea to me.

Has Datto Whined Yet?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, March 31, 2017, 15:36 (2554 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Haven't caught any of his streams.

Giant Beastcast reaction

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 17:48 (2553 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I'm listening to this week's episode of the Beastcast, and I find their reactions interesting and a little telling. The 4 guys on the show this week have all played Destiny to varying degrees (some stopped with vanilla, others played everything through TTK).

The first comment from several of them was that the tone of the trailer was "strange". One of them said something along the lines of "Why is the trailer trying to be funny? I don't remember Destiny being funny". They never steered into the question of whether or not they wanted Destiny 2 to be funny.

The next issue they all latched on to was Nathon Fillion. They couldn't remember if he was even in Destiny, or if he was added later in one of the expansions. "Was he one of the guys that sells you stuff?" was as close as one of them came. One of the other hosts said "no he was one of the main guys", but thought he was only added in TTK or something.

They also mention a few tweets that had been posted by Jeff Gertsman (of Giant Bomb), who said something along the lines of "if you are trying to position yourself as the 'funny' loot-based shooter, aren't you just lining up behind Borderlands?".

I find stuff like this interesting because I like to see the difference in reactions between the "hardcore fans" (us) vs gamers at large. Again, these are all people who played the original game, but didn't stick with it as we did. We here at DBO expressed a wide range of reactions to the trailer, mostly positive. The GB guys mostly flipped between confused and dismissive in their reactions, which I think is a somewhat natural reaction for people in their positions, given how little the trailer shows of the game itself. I suspect next week's Bombcast will examine the trailer in a bit more depth, as both Jeff Gertsman and Brad Shoemaker are more familiar and invested in Destiny than any of the guys on the Beastcast. I did find the mention of Borderlands interesting. Is Bungie trying to position Destiny 2 as a game that draws on some of Borderlands' appeal?

*** Everything in quotes is a paraphrase, based on my memory. So take it all with a HUGE grain of salt :) ***

Giant Beastcast reaction

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 18:22 (2553 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We here at DBO expressed a wide range of reactions to the trailer, mostly positive.

Uh, it seems the response here was mostly mixed, at least to me.

Giant Beastcast reaction

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 18:52 (2553 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We here at DBO expressed a wide range of reactions to the trailer, mostly positive.

Uh, it seems the response here was mostly mixed, at least to me.

Well I haven't done an official count, but I got the sense that most of the people posting here enjoyed it. I personally think it's absolutely terrible, but I seem to be in the minority.

Another related reaction worth listening to . . .

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 20:10 (2553 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I listened, but honestly didn't give it much consideration. I don't think Vinny even played the game at all, or at least not much, and Alex and Dan never seemed to really be into Destiny. I do want to know what Jeff and Brad have to say on Tuesday. Jeff was pretty down on Destiny, I think, but Brad was a huge advocate for the game, and fought tooth and nail to get Destiny on their Top Ten Games of 2014 list when literally no one else from Giant Bomb cared about the game at all. So I'm eager to hear his thoughts.

On a related note, Waypoint put up a podcast yesterday that's basically all about Destiny. It's Austin Walker and Patrick Klepek, both formerly of Giant Bomb, along with Danielle Riendeau and Rob Zacny, and I thought it was a really interesting listen.

Austin has a reputation of being pretty hard on games in general, even when they're good. He is very much interested in games that have a point, have a message or at least a story to tell, so he leans pretty hard on the "the grimoire is so good, we need to see more of it in the game" angle. And not just in the literal sense of, "I shouldn't have to leave the game to read the grimoire," but more in the "The actual game should tell stories this good," sense.

Patrick throws out an interesting idea about raid matchmaking that I think could be neat. Basically, he only finally did a raid by finding a Sherpa group, and he proposed making that an actual thing from within the game. Let players sign up in some manner to become Sherpas and get rewards for doing so. I'm not sure how it would or could be implemented, but I think it's at least an idea worth exploring. Incentivize players to help other players to complete the raid, which would at least help to discourage the LFG "Gjallarhorn required" attitude. I would like to see some neat community building frameworks within the game, but I'm not sure what they would be.

It's an interesting 40 minute listen, if you have the time.

Just listened... good discussion

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 03, 2017, 12:46 (2552 days ago) @ cheapLEY

On a related note, Waypoint put up a podcast yesterday that's basically all about Destiny.

A few key takeaways for me:

- Patrick's assertion that Activision, not Bungie, is in charge of all of Destiny's marketing and thus should not be considered an accurate representation of the tone of the game is a good point to keep in mind (and something that has been brought up here in this discussion). Austin's counter is equally valid; that the reception to Fillion's role in TTK was so well received, that there's a chance Bungie could be leaning even harder on him for Des2ny, potentially throwing off the balance that was struck with TTK.

- Austin made a great point when he said he wants more "character" in the game, and character does not just mean "funny". His comments regarding the compelling nature of the grimoire and how absent it is from the actual game is a well known sentiment around here, but he articulates it very well.

- Patrick's point about the impenetrable barrier that is Destiny's loot system is an important one, I think. He's completely right when he says that the complicated and grindy nature of Destiny's progression causes all but the most hardcore players to bounce off of the game, and thus miss out on the best content.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread