PS4 and Xbox Crota strategies (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 15:58 (2573 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 16:02

After playing CE for about 10 hours this weekend, I have some thoughts about the different strategies, some of which differ from what I saw in Chappy's earlier thread and what we tried on the Xbox.

We finished on the PS4 in just over two hours.

Here's some tips for what worked:

The Bridge:

• Strongest players over first
  • Last three players on near side go upstairs

Deathsinger

• Stagger shrieker deaths if possible
  • One sunsinger Warlock inside to kill sword knights, resurrected if killed by shrieker
  • Assigned enemies outside
  • Deathsinger killer should have max agility

Crota

• Orb generation inside of course
  • Kill only one knight upstairs and avoid wizard from spawning.
  • Distraction bubbles do work placed at either end of the U walkway, just outside the door (order left, right, right)
  • When Crota stands after first round, wait a beat and then fire rockets. His shield will be down by the time the rockets reach him.
  • Go into the downstairs room on the right to kill the ogres. Stand on the doorframe for first, snipe the second through the door.

I've got an Xbox event with the Deathsinger CP tonight if anyone wants to help.

Kerm

I totally slept through that checkpoint.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 03, 2017, 06:19 (2572 days ago) @ Kermit

My weekend was pretty tiring; I would wake up during the day then fall back asleep like 6 minutes later. I registered and slept past it. Sorry! Presumably you guys got it?

We got Deathsinger. Working on Crota tonight

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 03, 2017, 11:45 (2572 days ago) @ Funkmon

My weekend was pretty tiring; I would wake up during the day then fall back asleep like 6 minutes later. I registered and slept past it. Sorry! Presumably you guys got it?

Here's what worked well for our group:

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Monday, April 03, 2017, 17:48 (2572 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Mariachi, Monday, April 03, 2017, 18:14

For Crota, we used basically the same strat we used back in the day, except with a few alterations.

- We took down the boomer knights and wizard on the right side and left the left side untouched. Since they are red bar enemies and not yellow bar, they were pretty easy to down. This lead to the benefit of not needing to use the bubble for distraction.

- instead of a distraction bubble, we used the bubble on the rock on the right side to give our sword bearer a boost. This did a few things: first, Weapons of light affects the sword now, and second, the orbs generated gave the sword bearer a super to use for the sword super. Also, it gave the sword bearer a safe zone to retreat back to between downs.

- At first, we tried to down Crota and then kill the oversoul while the swordbearer hit Crota, then it was a madhouse dash to down Crota again and then take out a second oversoul. This wasn't working well and lead to a lot of wipes. What worked better for us was to down Crota, ignore the oversoul, down Crota a second time, and then take out the oversoul. Doing this, felt so much better. We had plenty of time to get Crota to kneel twice, and doing it like this meant we were only dealing with one oversoul per sword instead of two.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 11:44 (2571 days ago) @ Mariachi

For Crota, we used basically the same strat we used back in the day, except with a few alterations.

- We took down the boomer knights and wizard on the right side and left the left side untouched. Since they are red bar enemies and not yellow bar, they were pretty easy to down. This lead to the benefit of not needing to use the bubble for distraction.

- instead of a distraction bubble, we used the bubble on the rock on the right side to give our sword bearer a boost. This did a few things: first, Weapons of light affects the sword now, and second, the orbs generated gave the sword bearer a super to use for the sword super. Also, it gave the sword bearer a safe zone to retreat back to between downs.

I'm still not convinced that leaving one knight and having no wizards spawn isn't better. If they manage to hide and you miss them, they result in wipes. (I realize that it's easy peasy for Blackstar BSP to take down the wizards and therefore should be for everyone else. I heard that repeatedly last night.:p)

- At first, we tried to down Crota and then kill the oversoul while the swordbearer hit Crota, then it was a madhouse dash to down Crota again and then take out a second oversoul. This wasn't working well and lead to a lot of wipes. What worked better for us was to down Crota, ignore the oversoul, down Crota a second time, and then take out the oversoul. Doing this, felt so much better. We had plenty of time to get Crota to kneel twice, and doing it like this meant we were only dealing with one oversoul per sword instead of two.

We did this, too.

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 13:53 (2571 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm still not convinced that leaving one knight and having no wizards spawn isn't better. If they manage to hide and you miss them, they result in wipes.

I can understand that. We never had any trouble with them hiding though, so for us it was a non issue. But on the chance they did hide, it would cause problems. You could potentially counter it by assigning one person to only focus on the knights and wizard. Have them even jump up into the tower if necessary to take out any that hide. Unless you are really low light, the remaining players should still be able to down Crota pretty effectively even with one player focused on the boomer tower.

However, for me, I'd rather risk that and use the bubble to boost the damage for the swordbearer. We were able to use this method to take him down in only two swords and thereby completely avoid the ogre phase, which for some reason always seemed to result in at least one death for us.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 15:00 (2571 days ago) @ Mariachi

I'm still not convinced that leaving one knight and having no wizards spawn isn't better. If they manage to hide and you miss them, they result in wipes.

I can understand that. We never had any trouble with them hiding though, so for us it was a non issue. But on the chance they did hide, it would cause problems. You could potentially counter it by assigning one person to only focus on the knights and wizard. Have them even jump up into the tower if necessary to take out any that hide. Unless you are really low light, the remaining players should still be able to down Crota pretty effectively even with one player focused on the boomer tower.

However, for me, I'd rather risk that and use the bubble to boost the damage for the swordbearer. We were able to use this method to take him down in only two swords and thereby completely avoid the ogre phase, which for some reason always seemed to result in at least one death for us.

Yeah, I understand the appeal of that. I think some strategies are easier for some teams to pull off, and I think skepticism of what's different creeps in, too, to the point where people have the expectation that a different strategy will fail, and it may even affect their ability to pull it off. I find it fascinating how quickly people become wed to their strategies. It was the same thing with Golgy. I loved the Xbox strat, but the PS4 people were very resistant. Oh well.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread