Hey Cruel, could you explain the Crota strategy we used? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 11:33 (2572 days ago)

Tried to adopt it last night on the Xbox, but my Xbox brethren weren't buying it (probably because I explained it poorly), and the proof of the pudding is in the eating. We failed. :(

I think I saved the video... let me check

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 11:51 (2572 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Here it is

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 12:49 (2572 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's the video. It's a bit odd to watch, because I was the only one in the party with my voice set to record on video captures, so you only hear me talking.

The basic idea:

* Use a Defender bubble on the left or right upper walkways to distract the boomers.

* If there's time, kill 1 boomer on each side (just to reduce the amount of incoming fire), but never kill both (to avoid drawing out the wizard)

* Once the sword runner gives the signal to fire, the rest of the team hits Crota. He goes down, sword runner attacks.

* When Crota stands back up, he summons the Oversoul and is invincible for only 1-2 seconds. Fire rockets at him almost immediately after he stands up. In the time it takes your rockets to reach him, his invincibility will wear off and the rockets will drain his shield, causing him to kneel again.

* Now the sword runner can proceed with their second attack while the rest of the fireteam turns their attention to the oversoul and destroys it. By this point, the attack phase is over and everyone should move back inside. If you do this properly, you will only need to face 1 oversoul per attack round.

* Repeat the entire process again for the 2nd attack round, then move into the lower-right tower.

* At the end of the 2nd attack round, Ogres will spawn in the 2 lower towers. Your entire fireteam should be waiting to ambush one of the Ogres as they spawn (stand up on top of the doorways so you can hit it from above and behind). Then snipe the 2nd Ogre from the safety of the lower tower. During this portion, Crota will have rotated to the upper-left catwalk, so there's plenty of distance between him and your fireteam.

* Once both Ogres are down, everyone move back up to your starting point in the hallway. If Crota has only just rotated to the center, you'll have time to move back outside and proceed with your final attack round. Or, you can wait for him to do another rotation if your team needs a moment to rest and pop ammo synths.

Thank you! Bookmarked.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 12:58 (2572 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

An slight alteration for you to try.

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 13:44 (2572 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That pretty much how our group did it, but with one main difference. Since the boomers and the wizard that comes out are now red bar instead of yellow, they are significantly easier to kill. So if you take them out, then you no longer need to use the distraction bubble. Instead, we placed the bubble on the rock on the right that the sword guy always jumps up from. Since the sword now gets a boost from weapons of light, we were able to do more damage to Crota with each down phase this way. Also, the orbs generated by the bubble give the swordbearer a sword super that he can use on Crota. Doing this, we were able to easily take Crota down on our second sword and never even have to worry about dealing with the ogres.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 15:28 (2572 days ago) @ Mariachi

That pretty much how our group did it, but with one main difference. Since the boomers and the wizard that comes out are now red bar instead of yellow, they are significantly easier to kill. So if you take them out, then you no longer need to use the distraction bubble. Instead, we placed the bubble on the rock on the right that the sword guy always jumps up from. Since the sword now gets a boost from weapons of light, we were able to do more damage to Crota with each down phase this way. Also, the orbs generated by the bubble give the swordbearer a sword super that he can use on Crota. Doing this, we were able to easily take Crota down on our second sword and never even have to worry about dealing with the ogres.

To elaborate on what I said to you in the other thread, some teams might not have any problem with that approach, but I tend to favor slower/easier with fewer wipes than faster/harder with more wipes--which often isn't actually faster.

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 20:13 (2572 days ago) @ Kermit

Absolutely. I totally get it. And in fact I very much agree that faster/harder leads to more wipes. The irony to me is that for the group I play with regularly, the distraction bubble led to the more frantic, faster, harder approach. We were considerably slower and less prone to wipe with the method I described. It just worked better for us. But I totally get that there are teams it would work poorly for.

I simply just wanted to share what worked best for us in the hopes that it might make things easier for others. I know that it's far from the only strategy.

On a related note, I've played with lots of DBOers, but somehow never with you. So if you're ever looking for more people to play with on Xbox, let me know. You would be more than welcome to raid with us anytime.

Yeah we did this pretty much

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 20:08 (2572 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We did kill the knights on the left though (where we stood) and just killed the wizard when they popped up. And then we just added in using Nighthawk Golden Gun for the lone Oversoul to make it even easier. Great strategy, once we got all the timing down was pretty easy.

Giving away all of the award-winning PS4-exclusive strats?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 13:12 (2572 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread