Project Scorpio Hardware Reveal (Gaming)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 12:38 (2570 days ago)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

Sounds interesting, they were able to make Forza run at native 4K while only using like 50-70% of the GPU at any time. Sounds like they have done some impressive things with the hardware.

Project Scorpio Hardware Reveal

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 12:48 (2570 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to E3 to see more about their plans. I feel like two things need to happen for this to succeed:

1. Scorpio has to be a new generation. Games can be exclusive to Scorpio and not have to run on the base Xbox One. Having the most powerful console doesn't mean shit if all the games still have to run on the least powerful console.

2. They have to invest in games. Halo and Gears are fine, but let's face it--they're not selling systems like they used to. With Sony bringing all sorts of amazing exclusives, Microsoft is really going to have to bring it for me to even consider getting a Scorpio. As much as I still love Halo, Halo 6 isn't going to sell me one. I'm honestly still way more interested in getting a Switch, if only just for Zelda, or a PSVR.

The one to rule them all.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 12:52 (2570 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Drools.

I'm guessing $499 US, $599 CDN.

My wallet is ready, for that and an appropriate 4K HDR TV.

The one to rule them all.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:13 (2570 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Drools.

I'm guessing $499 US, $599 CDN.

My wallet is ready, for that and an appropriate 4K HDR TV.

Yep, time to update the ol' home system

If it's $499 US, that's actually closer to $699 CAD. Ugh.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 16:28 (2570 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

Maybe they will have a controllerless version. -$60

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 16:52 (2570 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's not always a straight exchange rate conversion. It's affected by what the market will bear. That being said, I have no real evidence.

I don't see Scorpio as an XB1 replacement. It's more like a luxury car. You pay to ride in elegance.

Minus what you can get when you sell your old XB1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:03 (2570 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:25 (2570 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to E3 to see more about their plans. I feel like two things need to happen for this to succeed:

1. Scorpio has to be a new generation. Games can be exclusive to Scorpio and not have to run on the base Xbox One. Having the most powerful console doesn't mean shit if all the games still have to run on the least powerful console.

2. They have to invest in games. Halo and Gears are fine, but let's face it--they're not selling systems like they used to. With Sony bringing all sorts of amazing exclusives, Microsoft is really going to have to bring it for me to even consider getting a Scorpio. As much as I still love Halo, Halo 6 isn't going to sell me one. I'm honestly still way more interested in getting a Switch, if only just for Zelda, or a PSVR.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:53 (2570 days ago) @ cheapLEY

100% disagree with you there. MS is trying to move to a model where you don't need a new generation of console every 5-10 years. Instead you upgrade every so often because you want the more powerful hardware. The key is going to be that there is no "backwards compatibility" layer needed anymore. All the hardware here is basically the same as the existing Xbox One so that a developer doesn't have to do anything special for their game to run on Scorpio. For consumers that don't want the extra power, they can just buy the Xbox One S and they still get to play the same games (except at a lower graphics quality).

The interesting thing about all this to me is all of the Console makers are doing the same thing. The switch is basically just a higher powered Wii-U with joy cons, Sony has released the PS4 Pro which is just a resolution bump, and MS is building the Xbox One S and Scorpio.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:55 (2570 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

The switch is basically just a higher powered Wii-U with joy cons

While true from a power standpoint, I wouldn't lump in Switch with the others since it can't play any Wii U games.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 15:04 (2570 days ago) @ Xenos

The switch is basically just a higher powered Wii-U with joy cons

While true from a power standpoint, I wouldn't lump in Switch with the others since it can't play any Wii U games.

Hmm, I didn't realize that. I heard a lot about how breath of the wild was on both and assumed. So once again Nintendo is doing their own thing in opposition to everybody else.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:26 (2570 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Dat forza shot.

[rant]

This is awesome and all...but are they going to do anything to address their horrible user interface? Also, they could potentially fix their still busted party/chat feature!!? Still, too many times, I'm joining up with someone doing the "can you hear me? can you hear me yet? hello? you there?" to get a text that says "I hear you, you can't hear me?" and spending the next 10 minutes trying link up with someone.

[/rant]

I'm about to buy a new tv for my gamer setup, I reckon it needs to be 4k eh?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:35 (2570 days ago) @ ManKitten

Dat forza shot.

[rant]

This is awesome and all...but are they going to do anything to address their horrible user interface? Also, they could potentially fix their still busted party/chat feature!!? Still, too many times, I'm joining up with someone doing the "can you hear me? can you hear me yet? hello? you there?" to get a text that says "I hear you, you can't hear me?" and spending the next 10 minutes trying link up with someone.

[/rant]

I'm about to buy a new tv for my gamer setup, I reckon it needs to be 4k eh?

It's funny you mention party/chat problems, because whenever I have problems with Destiny party/chat problems I just make an XBox party and everything works fine.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:27 (2570 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

Sounds interesting, they were able to make Forza run at native 4K while only using like 50-70% of the GPU at any time. Sounds like they have done some impressive things with the hardware.

This is impressive, but I think it was conceptually a mistake to target Native 4K and make it a system revision. The jump from SD to 1080p is huge, but the jump from 1080p to 4K is very small if not unnoticeable on TV sized screens. There's a reason 70% of film releases are finished in 2K still.

With all that power, they should be targeting better graphics and effects at 1080p while hitting 60fps, including HDR. You would get so much more bang for your buck.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:47 (2570 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is impressive, but I think it was conceptually a mistake to target Native 4K and make it a system revision. The jump from SD to 1080p is huge, but the jump from 1080p to 4K is very small if not unnoticeable on TV sized screens. There's a reason 70% of film releases are finished in 2K still.

With all that power, they should be targeting better graphics and effects at 1080p while hitting 60fps, including HDR. You would get so much more bang for your buck.

I definitely agree, though HDR is part of what they are trying to do as well (they mentioned it in the posts from back when Scorpio was first announced, it's not as much a big deal now since XB1 S already supports it). I do hope that some developers choose for higher framerate with Scorpio over higher resolution (or even better offer us the option to choose). I imagine there will be some debate though since with multiplayer games having 60fps can offer an advantage over old XB1 so there will be arguments on whether it's fair or not (regardless of how logical that is given current PC gaming).

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:48 (2570 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While MS was targeting 4K resolution, the hardware improvements they made shouldn't exclusively apply to 4K games. They basically turned DX 12 into a hardware chip in the system which should improve rendering speed for _all_ games. What the developers do with that speed is going to be up to them. I expect a lot of developers will design their games to look better at 1080p since that may be a far more common resolution. Only time will tell though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread