Last Night's Templar Challenge *Vid* (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:47 (2548 days ago)

I think it took us about 5 or so tries, but here is the successful run. Sorry for it not being HD, I was streaming to twitch and my internet can't handle the HD stream. I might experiment with streaming to the Xbox Windows 10 app and doing a screen capture from there next time.

Yay!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 14:13 (2548 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I'm sorry I wasn't there. :(

Two weeks of (partial) raiding, and i don't have a single weapon yet. I'm jealous!

Yay!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 14:49 (2548 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think we reject strategies sometimes because they don't work ONCE. Remember how we decided it was no longer safe to block the teleport by standing beside it because now there was splash damage? It is relatively safe standing beside it but a little further back (also, I learned you can't crouch and block the teleport).

Sched saved the day with that last super, though. That was awesome.

Yay!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 14:52 (2548 days ago) @ Kermit

The other big change from our other run was pushing the Templar back with solar grenades so that the relic holder could stand on Claude's rock without getting destroyed.

Yep!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 15:02 (2548 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

I'm not sure it really helped; still no harm.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:52 (2548 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

lol

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 20:54 (2548 days ago) @ Funkmon

You're wrong if you think it didn't help.

When we did it the first time, we didn't push him back, and you COULD NOT stay on the platform without a bubble (or a Relic) and block the teleport without dying.

Clearly, after pushing him back, this was no longer the case; you could stay on the platform and block the teleport without dying, even if the bubble ran out and the Relic holder was elsewhere.

QED.

I could not block the teleport without using the relic.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 21:03 (2548 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

This guy could.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 21:07 (2548 days ago) @ Funkmon

(Linked by Chappy a few days ago)

Once the Templar was pushed back, he was able to just sit down on the rock. He says at one point that he's put his controller down.

Right. We never pushed him back far enough.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 21:12 (2548 days ago) @ Claude Errera

We got him maybe 2 yards back each time. We knew it was theoretically possible to get him farther back but didn't bother to put a lot of work into it because we considered it a non-issue, since I could just use the relic to block his shots.

Regardless, me and Sched still threw grenades because there was no downside.

DBO Pro Team's MLG Challenge strats.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 15:16 (2548 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by Korny, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 15:30

And by "Pro Team", of course I mean "folks that we rounded up last-minute because we don't believe in no Fireteam Builder".

Congrats on using the classic method! It can get insanely hectic up there with all of the Minotaurs and Harpies constantly pouring in. You gotta keep chaining those bubbles and orb generation. Real good stuff! And nice last-minute rez for the win (do I need to say it?).

Last night, our ragtag band didn't exactly plan things very well (surely unrelated to the FTB), so we had an underleveled Hunter, a lone Titan, a second Hunter, and three self-rez Warlocks. Our orb and Bubble supply was... not great. Still, we were able to knock the raid out in fairly solid time:

Strat:

• Have people on the Center conflux spot to have longer sightlines on the adds, while Otter handled the Right teleport.
  • Having to deal with only one teleport freed me up to shoot the Templar with the Relic (those shots were for you, Morpheus!)
  • Don't stand on the teleport right away. The Templar will only shoot at you once you're in the ring, so give it a few seconds to maximize blocking.
  • Sammy was running Courage of the Pack, IIRC, giving the team a much-needed armor and recovery boost, since our only bubble was Weapons.
  • The orbs lying around help charge the Relic, which allowed for more high-damage shots.

After that, Atheon was simple strategy-wise, the key thing is to avoid getting the team blown up by supplicants:

Strat:

• As always, the Radar will always tell you where the team is teleported, but you apparently have to make sure to give a callout in case someone is erstwhile occupied or on the wrong side (and it's not Mars).
  • 1&2 both shoot the same oracle, whoever doesn't get the kill goes to the next one.
  • The vertical slam window for Oracle 3 seems to have indeed been nerfed, so Relic holder should just shoot that one (though we did have a great moment where Otter was killed by the Minotaur, dropping the relic momentarily and resetting the Charge. I ran in and told him to take Oracle 4 out instead, and I shot at 3. His charge was ready by the time 4 was up, and the scene froze on our high-five).
  • As soon as the gate opens, 4 runs in and handles the Oracle at the bottom of the stairs. 1&2 should be leaving the zone by now, and the relic holder stands by the doorway and cleanses.
  • Once 1&2 are out, 5 and 6 run in and handle the last two. The Relic holder does not need to stay inside at this point, unless they want to play it safe.
  • Make your fate, rinse and repeat.

It was a fun raid. It is a bit frustrating that "nobody can die" mechanics managed to wedge their way back into the raid for the last bit, but at least it's only for a challenge (otherwise, would it really be a challenge?).

Also, here are a couple of screens that really wouldn't fit elsewhere. :P

Professing my love:
[image]

And last week I was the only one that didn't get to be a Shiny-head. :(
[image]

Good stuff! Can't wait for next week's raid. I think we've got the mechanics of the challenges down pat for that one, should only take five or six hours. ;)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 16:39 (2548 days ago) @ Korny

And by "Pro Team", of course I mean "folks that we rounded up last-minute because we don't believe in no Fireteam Builder".

Nice work if you can get it.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, April 09, 2017, 03:34 (2545 days ago) @ Korny

Finally got around to watching your video, and the strategy is really impressive there! Only one person died, and he self-rez'ed. This seems to be a much more sound strategy than the one we tried, and it went a LOT more smoothly(then again, the one I was in had two people who hadn't even done the original Vault) with that idea. I don;t know specifically how many Titans you had in that vid—I know I heard a tether or two—but it was obviously enough to keep that bubble up, and maintain a healthy amount of orbs for the group.

I certainly think we could, and should, do something like that!

Side note: I framed your video, and most of your shots did around 100,000 points of damage each time(except the one you missed, lol)!

And of course, it was your shot that killed him.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, April 09, 2017, 05:05 (2545 days ago) @ Morpheus

Finally got around to watching your video, and the strategy is really impressive there! Only one person died, and he self-rez'ed. This seems to be a much more sound strategy than the one we tried, and it went a LOT more smoothly(then again, the one I was in had two people who hadn't even done the original Vault) with that idea. I don;t know specifically how many Titans you had in that vid—I know I heard a tether or two—but it was obviously enough to keep that bubble up, and maintain a healthy amount of orbs for the group.

We had only one Titan, but between the two Shadowshot hunters, it was easy to maintain a steady bubble, which definitely helped.

I certainly think we could, and should, do something like that!

It's definitely more forgiving (especially if you have folks who haven't done the Vault before!), so yeh, give it a go!

Side note: I framed your video, and most of your shots did around 100,000 points of damage each time(except the one you missed, lol)!

Heh, even the one I missed did 17,200 points of splash damage, better than nothing!

And of course, it was your shot that killed him.

Haters will say it's Photoshop.

Well done!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, April 07, 2017, 10:53 (2547 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I think it took us about 5 or so tries, but here is the successful run. Sorry for it not being HD, I was streaming to twitch and my internet can't handle the HD stream. I might experiment with streaming to the Xbox Windows 10 app and doing a screen capture from there next time.

It just felt so close the night before. Wish I was there!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread