Destiny and Multiplicative Design (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 16:43 (2576 days ago)

(Note, I have not yet played the new Zelda, but I kind of want to now)

I was listening to a podcast where the topic of discussion was the new Zelda game. The people on the podcast were talking about "Multiplicative Design", which is the term Nintendo is using to talk about the game. It essentially means the same thing as when people use "Emergent Gameplay", but it's a much better term since "Emergent Gameplay" makes it seem like what's happening is materializing out of nothing, and gameplay is a stupid meaningless word. Multiplicative Design better describes what's really happening: The mechanical elements of the game are combining to create complexities, which are the result of design decisions.

One of the examples had to do with electricity. Electricity is attracted to metal things, so players have been doing cool things like throwing their sword at a group of enemies so that lightning strikes the sword vaporizing the enemies around it. There was a puzzle in a dungeon involving getting electricity to flow from one place to another. You're supposed to do it by placing metal objects found throughout the dungeon so that the current flows through them, but apparently one player just laid out a bunch of swords, and the electricity jumped from sword to sword completing the circuit, bypassing the puzzle essentially.

What was said next was important: "I feel like if this were Destiny, and a player did something like that to bypass a puzzle in a raid, that Bungie would patch it out almost immediately".

To me, that seems true, and it occurred to me that that's why Destiny pretty much completely lacks multiplicative design, but much worse than that can never really have it. When Cayde riles up the crowd with the promise of loot, that's not a joke: that's how Bungie is actually designing their game. The loot is the focus, not the experience. If it were, it wouldn't matter how you beat a raid, and we could still push off the templar or stand on the sniper platforms.

This lack of multiplicative design is why I think Destiny never really rose to greatness in the hearts of gamers or critics like Halo did. Halo had a lot of it. I remember being blown away when Mike Miller tossed a grenade at a turret, sending it flying into a Gold Elite killing it instantly. Can you do anything like that in Destiny? It was commonplace to blow enemies off cliffs in Halo, but in Destiny, that warrants a patch.

In retrospect Destiny has very good shooting mechanics, but they are very rigid and don't build upon themselves to create complexities. Even with the skill trees for the classes, I don't feel like there is any sort of interesting synergy that you can exploit by combining things.

This is what you lose when you base your game around loot and MMO mechanics. This is what you give up when you have a prominent investment system. And this is why Zelda has a 97 on Metacritic, and Destiny had a 76.

Destiny and Multiplicative Design

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:01 (2576 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by CyberKN, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:06

Here's the GDC panel where the Lead Designer of BotW talks about 'Multiplicative Gameplay':

I think that Destiny's focus on using "loot as an incentive to complete activities" is a big factor in discouraging this kind of behaviour. If players discover a new way to circumvent a challenging encounter it impacts the "loot economy", which has been carefully designed to encourage as much time investment as possible, and therefore must be patched/hotfixed immediately to minimize impact on said economy.

I bet if VoG didn't drop any meaningful loot, we'd still be able to snipe the Templar from the hobgoblin platforms.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:03 (2576 days ago) @ CyberKN

Here's the GDC panel where the Lead Designer of BotW talks about 'Multiplicative Gampeplay':

What intrigued me was it was a described as a game that constantly tells you 'yes'. Old Zeldas have been the opposite: they tell you no until you get the one item you need to lift that rock for example. Whereas this game apparently has none of that.

Also yes. "Loot economy" is just such a terrible thing that negatively impacts every game that has it. Every. Single. One.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:10 (2576 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also yes. "Loot economy" is just such a terrible thing that negatively impacts every game that has it. Every. Single. One.

I have no problem with the existence of a loot economy, per say... but when that loot economy is prioritized over fun gameplay discoveries, that is a problem for sure. Loot that exists as "icing on the cake", I'm totally fine with. But loot as the driving force behind a game is not something I enjoy.

by Durandal, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:35 (2576 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That kind of play works great, in a single player situation. In a multiplayer version it can quickly cause issues.

I think Destiny's bigger issue is that players really can't interact much with the world other then by shooting things. Perhaps if you could do stuff to manipulate the environment you would have more of this, but for now really it's quite limited. We need some Chronotrigger team up attacks.

Also I second the "loot economy" issue. Randomly generating loot means that a large proportion of it is garbage. I'd rather have a crafting system, where a player accumulates drops to build weapons unique to them, but that means killing Draksis 10,000 times to get all the exotic drops goes away.

COD especially pads out the game play this way. Boarderlands used it as a selling point, but people pretty much only get like 3-4 specific guns in that game and scrap everything else.

The idea is that people like getting presents. the problem is people don't like getting 20 pairs of sweaters before getting one good present, yet all, ALL loot based games give out socks like some crazed Y2K cult. It really obscures the rest of the game.

Been a while since I talked about Titanfall 2 ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 18:48 (2576 days ago) @ Durandal

I think Destiny's bigger issue is that players really can't interact much with the world other then by shooting things. Perhaps if you could do stuff to manipulate the environment you would have more of this, but for now really it's quite limited.

I agree, although it is worth pointing out that other shooters have found ways to create systems that overlap in creative ways, even if "shoot stuff" is the only real point of interaction. Titanfall 2 is a great example of this. You can use gravity grenades to curve your shots, or to trap pilots as they try to eject from their doomed Titan. You can use the momentum of a moving Titan + your grappling hook to slingshot you through the air.

Zelda takes the idea of interacting systems further than most games, but you don't need to take things to such an extreme extent to be effective. One of my gripes with Destiny from a mechanical gameplay point of view is that nothing interacts with anything. Aside from the death animation, there is no difference between shooting something or punching it or hitting it with a grenade. You can't slam enemies into the environment or into each other, your abilities don't overlap or affect each other except to stack damage, etc.

We need some Chronotrigger team up attacks.

Every game needs this :)

by Kahzgul, Friday, April 07, 2017, 02:27 (2575 days ago) @ Durandal

That kind of play works great, in a single player situation. In a multiplayer version it can quickly cause issues.

I think Destiny's bigger issue is that players really can't interact much with the world other then by shooting things. Perhaps if you could do stuff to manipulate the environment you would have more of this, but for now really it's quite limited. We need some Chronotrigger team up attacks.

Also I second the "loot economy" issue. Randomly generating loot means that a large proportion of it is garbage. I'd rather have a crafting system, where a player accumulates drops to build weapons unique to them, but that means killing Draksis 10,000 times to get all the exotic drops goes away.

COD especially pads out the game play this way. Boarderlands used it as a selling point, but people pretty much only get like 3-4 specific guns in that game and scrap everything else.

The idea is that people like getting presents. the problem is people don't like getting 20 pairs of sweaters before getting one good present,

Totally agree.

yet all, ALL loot based games give out socks like some crazed Y2K cult. It really obscures the rest of the game.

And now I disagree. There are games that present very excellent road maps for loot based gaming.

-----

The pinnacle is Diablo 2. Unlike D3, D2 makes every single drop potentially useful via the horadric cube. Even a shitty broken grey level 1 sword can become a beast, because you can use the cube to:

- repair it.
- upgrade it to white quality.
- upgrade it to 2nd playthrough quality.
- upgrade it to 3rd playthrough (that's the max) quality.
- add sockets to it (at any point along the way, and they stay if you do it before upgrading etc.)
- put runes in it to make it a runeword weapon.

The downside here is that it requires a slightly higher character level to use that if you naturally found a socketed 3rd playthrough sword of the same type (I believe it would be 7 levels?) but it's never impossible. The upside is that any piece of trash loot is potentially exactly what you're looking for when you want to make something.

Then look at gems and runes: You can combine 3 of 1 quality to make 1 of the next quality. Runes eventually become more expensive, and require 2 or 3 of the previous type of rune plus a specific gem, but - again, this means that not a single drop is useless as they all add to your overall loot progress. Same with potions etc.

You can even devolve your items to lesser tiers if you want to twink out a new character.

----

And then there's Japanese investment games. My favorite right now is Puzzle & Dragons. Again, absolutely none of the drops are worthless here. Every drop is worth something to you. Even a top tier player still wants to spend time in the noob dungeons from time to time for various reasons.

The basic innovations are:

- There's a 'monster points' store where you can buy super powerful stuff, and you get money for that store by selling your "trash" drops. Every single drop in the game sells for at least 1 monster point, though some can be worth thousands.
- The monsters on your team need experience to level up. Every single drop in the game is worth at least some experience, though some are worth far more than others.
- Your team is made up of monsters that start as drops. So sometimes you get a drop that you can evolve (pokemon style) into a great teammate. Not every monster is worth evolving, but several of the good ones start out as very lowly monsters who need to be evolved many times to reach top tier team status.
- Many of the monsters may not be top tier teammates, but they have the same skills as top tier monsters and are then usable to provide skillups for those teammates, meaning that players with specific team needs will be farming different dungeons than players with other team needs.
- There are also some very rare monsters that are skillups for *any* other monster, or that provide a significant bonus to *any* other monster. The truly RNG monsters like this are useful to everyone, regardless of what team they have.

So, again, every single drop is valuable to some degree, and every single drop contributes to your progression. You also know exactly where to go to farm up certain teammates if you want them, and where to go to farm skillups for those teammates, and the only drops that are true RNG drops are always useful to everyone when they drop, but are useful rather than necessary.

They also have multiple difficulty levels for most dungeons, so the easy mode has a 50% drop rate, but the hard mode has a 100% drop rate. The reward for hard mode isn't better gear (to make the best players even better), but rather a dodge of RNG.

----

How can these examples pave the way for Des2ny? Simple:

- Weapon upgrades. Rather than getting an entirely new gun and throwing out the old one, you simply apply ever more powerful upgrades to your existing weapon frame. The gun grows as you do, and this would serve the Destiny talking point of "your weapons tell your story" as well as making the weapon feel like another character in the story and a more personal element of your player. These upgrades could easily follow the D2 or P&D models.

- Make drops from strikes more reliable and with smaller pools of items. Need pants? Go to the pants strike. Pistols to the pistol strike. And so forth. Present players with a semi-reliable path to farm items they want rather than telling them "it's all RNG so you can do whichever!" Making every strike an RNG drop from the same pool encourages players to farm the single "most optimal" strike over and over for all of their loot, rather than encouraging them to mix it up.

- Instead of making hard mode give better gear (this is a huge problem with destiny, imo, because it means the best players also have default advantages in pvp), just make the hard modes reliable drops of the same gear you can get from normal mode. Farm normal for 2 months or hard mode for 1.... same loot, just a faster path to it for the better players. If you must make something exclusive, make it cosmetic.

- lastly, give players some sort of agency towards earning what they want in *every single activity*. Whether that means all exotics are purchased from a store with legendary marks (not ideal imo, but an option), or players choose quests for specific loot and those quests lay out a series of bounties players can complete in order to earn that loot (I like this idea).

Example of questified loot: The gunsmith says "I can upgrade that pistol for you, but I need some stuff." Quest is given to the player. First and foremost: You already know before you start that the new gun IS AN UPGRADE. That's huge and a big problem with existing destiny. The current game often times does not respect your time or investment and just gives you garbage. Okay, so we're going for an upgrade to our existing gun. The quest says I need "materials" : 50 spinmetal, 24 dreg docking caps, and 5 ogre eyes. Weird, but okay. Now I have a shopping list, but I can shop anywhere those enemies are found. Get the materials and now you need to forge the receiver in... the Archon's forge. Complete 3 archon's forge battles. Now I have a specific activity to participate in, but I'm not relying on any sort of random drop. Do 3 and done. Now I need to "calibrate the optics" of my gun by getting 10 headshot streaks. I can do this anywhere, but it requires player skill now. Cool. Finally, the gunsmith needs me to gather a renewable energy source - either the light of fallen opponents in the crucible, OR the darkness of boss enemies in strikes, raids, and patrol mode. Whichever I finish first determines what element my final gun will be (solar or void, or I can bring a 50/50 mix and get arc damage). Bring it all back to the gunsmith and bam, an upgraded gun.

Now, I imagine the upgrades will be incremental rather than massive. Think 1 or 2 more rounds in the chamber, maybe +5 to accuracy. Eventually you'll cap it out and be able to evolve it into the exotic version of that weapon, given the proper raid or pvp loots.

Anyway, I think Destiny could easily do this if they had the will and direction to make it happen. It would be cool, and fun, and always rewarding and respectful of your playtime.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 07, 2017, 03:59 (2575 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Diablo 2 was not how you described it. Formulas for weapons in the horadric cube were very expensive, and it took forever to get materials. Most of the time it was only good for upgrading gems and potions. Runes were rare. If you wanted to upgrade weapons or do rune words you had to grind a lot.

Upgrading guns in a game that has no end like Destiny is a bad idea, because you'll eventually have to grind for materials since they are infinite. Weapon upgrades only belong in games that are finite in duration and in resources, since then it becomes a play style or strategic choice only.

In my opinion having an end is the best thing Des2ny can do.

by Kahzgul, Friday, April 07, 2017, 05:48 (2575 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Diablo 2 was not how you described it. Formulas for weapons in the horadric cube were very expensive, and it took forever to get materials. Most of the time it was only good for upgrading gems and potions. Runes were rare. If you wanted to upgrade weapons or do rune words you had to grind a lot.

I played a LOT of Diablo 2. It was grindy, but it was fun, and the time I spent grinding was always rewarded and respected. Most of my grinding was for runes, but I didn't mind, because whatever I got to drop was still adding to my progression.

This is a pretty big thing for me, I've realized. Like if Gjallerhorn costs 100 Whosits, and every raid clear rewards you with between 1 and 100 Whosits, then everyone, eventually, is guaranteed a Gjallerhorn (though for some poor people it will take 100 clears). Contrarily, the present setup of Gjallerhorn being a very low % drop chance means that some people will just never get it, and will never get any closer to getting it. Their time is literally wasted even though they are doing the single best thing they can to try and get one. That bothers me a lot. I firmly believe that any player who makes a concerted effort towards loot should be rewarded with progress towards getting that loot. True RNG loot is counter to that practice.

Anyway, I digress. I found D2's grindy but rewarding loot system to be very enjoyable.

Upgrading guns in a game that has no end like Destiny is a bad idea, because you'll eventually have to grind for materials since they are infinite. Weapon upgrades only belong in games that are finite in duration and in resources, since then it becomes a play style or strategic choice only.

In my opinion having an end is the best thing Des2ny can do.

I was suggesting upgrading guns as opposed to the current model of throwing out your new gun every few levels. The goal would be to get an "endgame" gun at around the same time you max out your character level. I fully agree that the progression needs to be finite, especially if you want to have an e-sports worthy pvp environment. The endgame weapons would all have to be designed to be balanced in pvp, or there would have to be a separate set of pvp weapons for players to use.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:43 (2576 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have no problem with the existence of a loot economy, per say... but when that loot economy is prioritized over fun gameplay discoveries, that is a problem for sure.

Which is 'always'. The very existence of a loot economy means that loot is prioritized over everything else. If it wasn't then it would not matter who got what how, and who has what now.

by Kahzgul, Friday, April 07, 2017, 02:34 (2575 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have no problem with the existence of a loot economy, per say... but when that loot economy is prioritized over fun gameplay discoveries, that is a problem for sure.

Which is 'always'. The very existence of a loot economy means that loot is prioritized over everything else. If it wasn't then it would not matter who got what how, and who has what now.

You can make fun gameplay discoveries on the way to loot, however.

What if a step in getting the gjallerhorn was to "beat X boss in under Y time." No restrictions on *how* to do that. Or maybe "Jump 50 feet in the air on a sparrow" again - no limitation on where to jump. So this is a fun thing players can figure out for themselves. "Kill an ogre with a melee punch" or "get a noscope headshot with a sniper rifle." The problem Destiny has is that they only reward loot for completing strikes, which essentially makes those strikes optimization challenges. And then, when Bungie sees that players have optimized a strike in a way they don't like, they patch it out, which is lame. It is, in fact, exactly what you described in your OP: Bungie is removing emergent gameplay from the game, and instead of letting you play their game how you like, Bungie is forcing players to play their game how they like. It's just not as fun.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 07, 2017, 11:41 (2575 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What if a step in getting the gjallerhorn was to "beat X boss in under Y time." No restrictions on *how* to do that. Or maybe "Jump 50 feet in the air on a sparrow" again - no limitation on where to jump. So this is a fun thing players can figure out for themselves. "Kill an ogre with a melee punch" or "get a noscope headshot with a sniper rifle."

I get what you're aiming for, but that sounds awful in my opinion. It doesn't really fix the problem--it still forces players to play the game and do shit they don't necessarily want to do. Okay, now instead of farming strikes, I have to go to patrol and hit that one spot that everyone will figure out for ramping sparrows, or try and punch an ogre. At least when I farm strikes, I can do it in my preferred play style, instead of having to do very specific things.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 01:50 (2574 days ago) @ cheapLEY

What if a step in getting the gjallerhorn was to "beat X boss in under Y time." No restrictions on *how* to do that. Or maybe "Jump 50 feet in the air on a sparrow" again - no limitation on where to jump. So this is a fun thing players can figure out for themselves. "Kill an ogre with a melee punch" or "get a noscope headshot with a sniper rifle."

I get what you're aiming for, but that sounds awful in my opinion. It doesn't really fix the problem--it still forces players to play the game and do shit they don't necessarily want to do. Okay, now instead of farming strikes, I have to go to patrol and hit that one spot that everyone will figure out for ramping sparrows, or try and punch an ogre. At least when I farm strikes, I can do it in my preferred play style, instead of having to do very specific things.

I get what you're saying. The game should reward you for having fun rather than pigeonholing you into specific tasks. Unfortunately, it really doesn't. More often than not in Destiny you're punished for doing something novel, or for messing around in a new way.

I suppose it comes down to that optimization problem again. Destiny, sadly, has trained us to see the path of least resistance. Two thoughts here: The actual game isn't fun enough when you're not playing optimally to make you ever really want to be non-optimal, and second the punishments in the game for failure are way, way too harsh so you simply can't just dick around for funsies because the higher chance of failure means you're going to be put back 30 minutes to an hour of your gameplay.

I think a lot of this has to do with encounter design and AI (or the lack thereof). After playing a boatload of Horizon Zero Dawn, I've started challenging myself for funsies by trying to beat, say, a thundermaw without shooting it's disc launchers off, or using only traps, etc.. Destiny is not only a game where that sort of experimentation is barely possible, but if you did find something weird that worked well, Bungie has shown they're happy to nerf that away next patch.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 06, 2017, 18:50 (2576 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What intrigued me was it was a described as a game that constantly tells you 'yes'.

Pretty much every GIF I have seen of this new Zelda has been about this and it has genuinely impressive me every time. It is currently the number 1 selling point of the game, imo.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 18:56 (2576 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is what you lose when you base your game around loot and MMO mechanics. This is what you give up when you have a prominent investment system. And this is why Zelda has a 97 on Metacritic, and Destiny had a 76.

I think you're right about this. I definitely think the reviewers aren't taking the genre of game into account.

I seriously can't stop playing it.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 20:29 (2576 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My brother in law and I started playing around the same time and within the first 10-20 minutes we had already accomplished some goals in drastically different ways. Soooo very good.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, April 07, 2017, 11:32 (2575 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What was said next was important: "I feel like if this were Destiny, and a player did something like that to bypass a puzzle in a raid, that Bungie would patch it out almost immediately".

TL;DR

We get annoyed when they stifle us. They get annoyed when we exploit the game. Where is the balance between regulated fun and gameplay anarchy.

-----

Realizing content updates and patches weren't really a thing in the time of Halo 1 and Halo 2, im curious if the amount of exploitation of glitches in Halo 2 was a spur in their side. You could bypass entire levels by traversing geometry you shouldn't reach, sword lunging across the entire map, super jumping out of maps, etc. It felt like after Halo 2, Bungie took on the attitude of "this is how we want you to play it...and by God that is how you will play it!"

For me, part of what made Halo 2 so fun WAS exploiting those glitches (when that is what I wanted to do). Booting up Delta Halo and ghosting through the lake, climbing to the top of the mountain, it was fun. I get super annoyed in Destiny when I'm wanting to explore, climbing a rock face and getting the death timer, or worse, hitting an invisible ceiling that is easily within the gameplay area. At which point, I actually yell out "Hey Bungie...if you don't want me to go there....then don't make it easily accessible!" I can easily jump on that rock...if you don't want me there, do better designing the level so it's not reachable.

To play devils advocate, you can't prepare for everything. When you put a lot of time and effort into creating something, and you give it to others to enjoy, and they immediately figure out a way to circumvent your effort to complete the task, it's very frustrating. They want people to experience the moment in the spirit in which it was intended. If you figure out a way to turn a 10 minute boss battle into a 1 minute cheese with an exploit, what is your goal? You're robbing yourself of the experience they created for you solely for loot? If your sole goal was to get the loot, then what is the point of playing the game? You're wasting everybody's time. Excluding scenarios such as "I need this loot to play this section, let's just cheese it real quick." but then you're getting back into the topic of a broken loot economy.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 02:00 (2574 days ago) @ ManKitten

A great example of what you're describing here is the Aetheon fight. Remember when he would just move out of aoe grenades until he walked off of the ledge?

Bungie could have fixed this in soooo many ways. What they actually did was tell people "If you do that, it's cheating and we'll ban you." That's super shitty. Like, beyond shitty. These people are just playing the game you gave them.

Guard rails were the ultimate fix after player outcry, but they could have done other things:

- Made Aetheon less nervous about AoE damage.
- Given Aetheon an ability to absorb AoE damage.
- Made his body drop actual engrams so that if he walked off the edge you got nothing (not my favorite option, but it would certainly have discouraged knocking him off the edge)
- Given him a super form with wings where if he walks of the edge, oh wow, NOW HE FLIES!!!
- etc.

And I'll give a counter-example here: In Kingdom of Loathing, someone found an exploit to give themselves infinite money (you could give away more money than you had, and once people figured out how big the integer max was, they realized they could give away an amount of money so big that it would flip your income from maximally negative to maximally positive and end up with trillions of dollars). The dev response was to (a) fix the exploit and then (b) declare that there was massive inflation in the game world, write a few quests about how there was suddenly craploads of money everywhere, create a mafia that would sell hits on players for exorbitant amounts of cash, create a few cosmetic items that cost insane amounts of money to buy, and drain the bug-money that way. It turned into a really fun event for the players, plus they got the vast majority of the money out of the economy pretty quickly, all without rollbacks or nerfs to the players or game.

It makes me sad that pretty much all of Destiny 1's changes have been reactionary to whatever internet echo chamber outcry is the loudest. I wish Bungie had a clear plan for what they wanted the game to be and made incremental changes towards that without resorting to nerfs and pigeonholing the player's actions into their specific molds along the way.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread