Any recommendations on screen capture? (Off-Topic)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, April 07, 2017, 12:21 (2576 days ago)

After getting my fuzzy vid of the Templar from Twtich, i decided to look into screen capture on my laptop (ASUS i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 960M 4 GB). My wife is in grad school and was able to buy Camtasia thru the university for $18 (MSRP $199).

I gave it a spin last night by streaming my XBOX to my Win 10 PC thru the xbox app, and doing a screen capture. It worked, buy holy moly the file sizes are huge. Our nightfall run was 20 GB. It records in a proprietary format that you can export to MP4, which is much smaller, but 1 GB/per min? geez. There is an option to record in avi instead of their format, and the file size was about 700 MB per min, still not great.

I also tried windowing the xbox app instead of going full screen, and that still didn't save much on the file size.

I've seen recommendations online to use Bandicam, but didn't see any real description on the file size.

Something else I realized is that i don't get the party chat when doing it this way.

I guess i don't plan on doing too much recording, but i would like to be able to record when going for challenges and will probably record a lot of Destiny 2.

That's raw video for ya. Try BlkMgcDsgn, elgato, or epiphan.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 07, 2017, 13:30 (2576 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Definitely try the Elgato

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, April 07, 2017, 13:56 (2576 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I love the quality that comes off my Elgato GameCapture HD60. I leave it at “best” quality, but you can dial up the compression if file size is an issue. (And remember, Destiny doesn’t run at 60fps, so be sure to set the frame rate to 30 or else the files double in size.)

The one problem with the external devices is capturing the party chat, and I still haven’t found a good way to do that. There are all sorts of hoops you can jump through, but it always ends up being a mess of cables that’s more trouble than its worth.

+1

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, April 07, 2017, 14:15 (2576 days ago) @ Beorn

This is what I used for getting footage for my HZD video. 10 minutes of 1080p footage capping at the default 60fps setting ran me a little under 3 GB.

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 07, 2017, 16:02 (2576 days ago) @ CyberKN

This is what I used for getting footage for my HZD video. 10 minutes of 1080p footage capping at the default 60fps setting ran me a little under 3 GB.

Someone mentioned blackmagic. If your laptop has thunderbolt or USB 3, there are options but none of them are particularly lean. I guess you could technically compress the input with H.264, but it would be in software rather than in hardware like some of the other options.

For reference, when I use a blackmagic card for capture, 1080p30 is about 3GB per minute. It's probably not what you want.

+1

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Sunday, April 09, 2017, 15:10 (2574 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Definitely try the Elgato

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, April 07, 2017, 18:57 (2575 days ago) @ Beorn

Make sure to use his guide, too—saved me countless Gigs and time.

And if all else fails, use Handbrake!

;-)

I use GeForce experience built in screen recording function

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 07, 2017, 15:00 (2576 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

It records in x264 natively at variable bitrates and framerates, plus the Xbox streaming like you said. If the 960M doesn't support that, remember that Windows 10 has a built in screen record tool that also records x264 iirc. Hold windows+g, then click record.

Yes. OBS.

by BlackstarBSP, Friday, April 07, 2017, 15:48 (2576 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by BlackstarBSP, Friday, April 07, 2017, 15:54

OBS - Open Broadcaster Software - https://obsproject.com/
(Narc and I both use this for our 'Lets Play' videos and streaming)
You can set any parameters and several container types with direct device input or desktop capture and even streaming to Twitch, Hitbox, Beam, etc.
(I would not suggest AVI's anymore though. I'd use MOV, MP4, MKV.)
Best part, it's free.

Another option would be Gameshow: http://www.gameshow.net/
An off-shoot of Wirecast that also screen captures, records and streams.
Downside, is does cost money; but it fairly inexpensive.
(I got mine on sale for $15, reg price $30)

Either gives you a far greater range of recording options and settings.
For example our VOG run for 2 hours 13 minutes was only 20GB at 1920x1080p 30fps.
You can scale that to far smaller though.

[image]

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions!

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, April 07, 2017, 21:58 (2575 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread