Age of Triumph Destiny is the best Destiny (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 07, 2017, 12:55 (2575 days ago)

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying Destiny right now, thanks to the Age of Triumph update.

The Raids have always been my favorite part of the game. But in the past, I feel like they've been hampered by other factors such as frustrating light-level grinds, insanely low-percentage loot drops, as well as the burn out factor of having only 1 raid at a time as a viable end-game activity. Age of Triumph seems to have fixed all of that.

I can't overstate how happy I am to have no light-level increase to worry about. Going into Age of Triumph with my characters and a decent amount of gear already at max level changes the game in significant ways. I've always felt like I would enjoy Destiny a lot more if I didn't have to worry about the level grind, playing activities I don't want to play just because they yield the drops I need, playing the first half of a raid over and over until I've leveled up enough to tackle the 2nd half of the raid. Age of Triumph has confirmed my suspicion. Being able to pick up the game and just play it however I want without worrying about racing to max level or getting the specific drops I need to infuse into the specific weapon I want to use. I'm enjoying the game so much right now, I'm actually a little worried about jumping into Destiny 2 and going back to the grindy elements that I hate so much.

Plus, as a raid fanboy, have the 4 for raids all brought up with end game level rewards is just the best. I love the weekly featured challenge modes, the updates to the raids have all been great so far, and it feels SO GOOD to have elemental primaries back. They help add a breath of fresh air to the Heroic and Nightfall strikes... even Prison of Elders is a little more exciting now.

Finally, I also wanted to say how happy I am to have max-level VoG gear. The past few days have been a strong reminder of how much I love VoG above the rest of Destiny (even the other raids), and how none of the gear since then has had the appeal to me of the VoG weapons and armor. Totally personal preference there, but it feels great to have it back.

How about everyone else? Thoughts on Age of Triumph so far?

ps

I can't help but notice that the AoT Record Book didn't even enter my mind when thinking about this update. Which is a good thing, I think. It's there for people that enjoy it, and for those who don't care about it at all (me) it doesn't get in the way.

Age of Triumph Destiny is the best Destiny

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 07, 2017, 13:15 (2575 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying Destiny right now, thanks to the Age of Triumph update.

The Raids have always been my favorite part of the game. But in the past, I feel like they've been hampered by other factors such as frustrating light-level grinds, insanely low-percentage loot drops, as well as the burn out factor of having only 1 raid at a time as a viable end-game activity. Age of Triumph seems to have fixed all of that.

I can't overstate how happy I am to have no light-level increase to worry about. Going into Age of Triumph with my characters and a decent amount of gear already at max level changes the game in significant ways. I've always felt like I would enjoy Destiny a lot more if I didn't have to worry about the level grind, playing activities I don't want to play just because they yield the drops I need, playing the first half of a raid over and over until I've leveled up enough to tackle the 2nd half of the raid. Age of Triumph has confirmed my suspicion. Being able to pick up the game and just play it however I want without worrying about racing to max level or getting the specific drops I need to infuse into the specific weapon I want to use. I'm enjoying the game so much right now, I'm actually a little worried about jumping into Destiny 2 and going back to the grindy elements that I hate so much.

Plus, as a raid fanboy, have the 4 for raids all brought up with end game level rewards is just the best. I love the weekly featured challenge modes, the updates to the raids have all been great so far, and it feels SO GOOD to have elemental primaries back. They help add a breath of fresh air to the Heroic and Nightfall strikes... even Prison of Elders is a little more exciting now.

Finally, I also wanted to say how happy I am to have max-level VoG gear. The past few days have been a strong reminder of how much I love VoG above the rest of Destiny (even the other raids), and how none of the gear since then has had the appeal to me of the VoG weapons and armor. Totally personal preference there, but it feels great to have it back.

How about everyone else? Thoughts on Age of Triumph so far?

ps

I can't help but notice that the AoT Record Book didn't even enter my mind when thinking about this update. Which is a good thing, I think. It's there for people that enjoy it, and for those who don't care about it at all (me) it doesn't get in the way.

I feel similarly except I don't have max anything nor have I completed the new raids (except that one when you played with us).

Raiding is my favorite part of Destiny by far, and it feels great to have a variety of them to choose from.

(I'm also enjoying the story playlist, for nostalgia if nothing else.)

by Saber Khai, Friday, April 07, 2017, 13:24 (2575 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I agree with you on the grind for sure. I have three characters, two at 387 and one at 382, so I can't even get into the 390 raids as yet. I thought Destiny finally started to get it right with The Taken King, and Rise of Iron solidified it as one of the best shooters I have ever played. Age of Triumph is a nice bow on the gift that is Destiny, but I don't think it added enough to the game for me. I also have some complaints about the Siva Crisis Heroic Strikes and Archon's Forge's drop rates. Pre-AoT, the drop rate for Legendary engrams was actually pretty high. Post-AoT, the drop rate is significantly lower. For example, I ran SABER II, Wretched Eye, Abomination Heist, and Shield Bros pre-AoT and would get at least four Legendaries. Archon's Forge would typically net me at least a half-dozen after six rounds or so. So far this week I've run all the strikes mentioned above plus an hour or more in Archon's Forge and netted...three Legendaries. TOTAL. That's a HUGE decrease in the drop rate, and it makes it much more difficult to get my characters to a higher light level.

That said, Bungie has done a terrific job of tweaking the game to make it more competitive in Crucible and more enjoyable in PvE environments. Given their conscious effort to improving both, I am very encouraged about Destiny 2 and I can't wait for it to release. Until that time, I will continue to ignore the other great games in my library (ME: Andromeda, Halo Wars 2, etc.) and spend all my time in Destiny!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 07, 2017, 14:03 (2575 days ago) @ Saber Khai
edited by Korny, Friday, April 07, 2017, 14:06

I agree with you on the grind for sure. I have three characters, two at 387 and one at 382, so I can't even get into the 390 raids as yet.

Don't be so sure. My wife has done three 390 raids so far (Wrath, Crota, VoG) at light levels between 350-370, and she hasn't even been the Obligatory Liability Player (side-eyes Cyber). At 382, you're good to go, so don't be afraid to use the Fireteam Builder on the right side of the forum page.

That's a HUGE decrease in the drop rate, and it makes it much more difficult to get my characters to a higher light level.

No idea about decreased drop rates, but like I said, you're at the perfect level to do the Weekly Raids, and they have way better drop rates than ever (especially once you use Knuckles of EAO that you get for doing the first part of each Weekly raid).

Also, don't forget that Nightfall can net you up to six higher-light rewards per week on a single character (Completion Drop, 3 Nightfall Bounties, guaranteed Skeleton Key, and 3oC). This week's Nightfall is very easy to Solo/2man, as well, so don't be afraid to hop into it!

I don't like being a party-pooper, but ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 07, 2017, 15:37 (2575 days ago) @ Korny

I agree with you on the grind for sure. I have three characters, two at 387 and one at 382, so I can't even get into the 390 raids as yet.

Don't be so sure. My wife has done three 390 raids so far (Wrath, Crota, VoG) at light levels between 350-370, and she hasn't even been the Obligatory Liability Player (side-eyes Cyber). At 382, you're good to go, so don't be afraid to use the Fireteam Builder on the right side of the forum page.

That's a HUGE decrease in the drop rate, and it makes it much more difficult to get my characters to a higher light level.

No idea about decreased drop rates, but like I said, you're at the perfect level to do the Weekly Raids, and they have way better drop rates than ever (especially once you use Knuckles of EAO that you get for doing the first part of each Weekly raid).

Also, don't forget that Nightfall can net you up to six higher-light rewards per week on a single character (Completion Drop, 3 Nightfall Bounties, guaranteed Skeleton Key, and 3oC). This week's Nightfall is very easy to Solo/2man, as well, so don't be afraid to hop into it!

I have to say this: not everybody is a God-tier Destiny player. I've been on teams where most people were 400 and no one was under 390, and we couldn't complete the new raid challenges (and I wasn't ALWAYS to blame). I've been on teams with below-level players and it was even harder. Also, I consider Speedracer a God-tier Destiny player and he was not having such an easy time last night soloing Nightfall. I know nothing about Saber's skill level but I wanted to interject a bit of realism in here because it can get depressing to be told how easy everything is over and over when you aren't able to do it.

Also...when did your wife do the 390 Wrath raid?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 07, 2017, 15:42 (2575 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 07, 2017, 18:27 (2574 days ago) @ Kermit

I messed up, thought Hard Mode Wrath was 390, but it's 380. Still, she was well below the "recommended" Light Level for that too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 07, 2017, 21:12 (2574 days ago) @ Korny

I messed up, thought Hard Mode Wrath was 390, but it's 380. Still, she was well below the "recommended" Light Level for that too.

And she's a really good player.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 07, 2017, 17:39 (2574 days ago) @ Kermit

I have to say this: not everybody is a God-tier Destiny player. I've been on teams where most people were 400 and no one was under 390, and we couldn't complete the new raid challenges (and I wasn't ALWAYS to blame). I've been on teams with below-level players and it was even harder. Also, I consider Speedracer a God-tier Destiny player and he was not having such an easy time last night soloing Nightfall. I know nothing about Saber's skill level but I wanted to interject a bit of realism in here because it can get depressing to be told how easy everything is over and over when you aren't able to do it.

Korny says stuff like this because he plays with Cyber too often... Cyber makes EVERYTHING look easy :)

+1. Cyber is the man. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 14:55 (2574 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Robot Chickens, Friday, April 07, 2017, 17:53 (2574 days ago) @ Kermit

Heh, I'm pretty far from god-tier in destiny. Ask anyone whose played with me- I'm comfortably average in these parts. That being said, this week's nightfall is definitely soloable. The enemies in the final area don't shoot arc at you so you are really only in danger when you run out to get cleansed. A blue shotty kills Minotaurs in one shot while a blue sniper does ridiculousdamage to the nexus. If you play it patiently you have plenty of time to beat the countdown.

If you were lucky enough to have the new fatebringer, you are in for a treat.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, April 07, 2017, 18:18 (2574 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Heh, I'm pretty far from god-tier in destiny.

I'm a ManKitten-tier Destiny player? Because I definitely play on a different level.

[image]

by Argent_17, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 13:18 (2574 days ago) @ Kermit

You need someone to play the nightfalls with on ps4 I'm always down to help ya. Same with Raids so long as I'm not suffering from a moderate allergic reaction to nuts like I was on Wednesday night.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, April 07, 2017, 13:26 (2575 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've always felt like I would enjoy Destiny a lot more if I didn't have to worry about the level grind, playing activities I don't want to play just because they yield the drops I need, playing the first half of a raid over and over until I've leveled up enough to tackle the 2nd half of the raid.

I agree, but for different reasons, and they might even be wrong reasons :P

Before AoT I was 391 light. With my play style, I might increase 1 level every two weeks. And since I never play strikes, that increase was slowing down. Since AoT I'm up to 394 and climbing fast. What this means is, I'm playing for rank whereas before, I was playing for fun. BUT, it's fun to rank up! Before, all engrams were dropping at 385 and getting annoying. With AoT I'm getting higher light engrams and greater drop rates with 3oC and it's felt satisfying.

Relating to what you said, I HATE IT when you have to play the game just to play the game. Just let me play the game!! What I mean by that is, when I boot up the game, just give it all to me. Don't make me complete X% to unlock this level. Don't make me grind over here to unlock this over hear...just let me play the game! The perfect example of this was Year 1 destiny between level 0-20. You can't do anything until you hit level 20.

So yes...with AoT they have finally "given it all" to us and it's much more fun.

It's like HoW Destiny with worse weapons.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, April 07, 2017, 15:06 (2575 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

RIP The Messenger

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, April 07, 2017, 17:02 (2575 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

RIP The Messenger

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 07, 2017, 17:38 (2574 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Oh man, you can basically track my declining interest in Destiny PvP to the nerf of the Messenger. The crucible was never as much fun as it was when I was rolling with that beauty :)

RIP The Messenger

by Kahzgul, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 01:08 (2574 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh man, you can basically track my declining interest in Destiny PvP to the nerf of the Messenger. The crucible was never as much fun as it was when I was rolling with that beauty :)

I think the downward spiral for me was the first nerf to the Chaperone. I miss my beautiful, beautiful baby.

RIP The Messenger

by Funkmon @, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 04:02 (2574 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I think the downward spiral for me was the first nerf to the Chaperone. I miss my beautiful, beautiful baby.

Mine was probably the second you couldn't reroll guns.

I was initially going to come in here and joke and say it was the beta, but that's not true. I played Crucible basically for Trials and for Iron Banner to get those good guns I could reroll. It's been dead to me since the end of year 1.

I agree. TTK killed the game for me.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 14:06 (2574 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

RIP The Messenger

by ProbablyLast, Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:29 (2572 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Thinking back, for me it was the day they killed pocket infinity. Literally broke the gun.

RIP The Messenger

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 10, 2017, 12:23 (2572 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Thinking back, for me it was the day they killed pocket infinity launched the alpha.

FTFY

RIP The Messenger

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 10, 2017, 18:11 (2571 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Thinking back, for me it was the day they killed pocket infinity. Literally broke the gun.

The gun literally broke both PvP and PvE.

You're right. I couldn't complete any activities or have fun

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 10, 2017, 21:46 (2571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

RIP The Messenger

by ProbablyLast, Monday, April 10, 2017, 23:55 (2571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I keep forgetting how often Atheon was crying about it on the forums.

RIP The Messenger

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 11:43 (2571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The gun literally broke both PvP and PvE.

by broke, you mean made the game fun and was a great counter to Thorn, then yes.

RIP The Messenger

by squidnh3, Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 11:55 (2571 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

by broke, you mean made the game fun and was a great counter to Thorn, then yes.

I was disappointed to hear they weren't bringing PI back, but I'll be the first to admit that while I was having a blast using it, there's no way it was fun for the continually melted corpses of my Crucible foes.

PvP is the worst it's ever been :(

by Kahzgul, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 01:05 (2574 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The special ammo changes have ruined the chess game and now your only real options are either teamshoot plink plink or to use either NLB or UR.

Strikes are fine; I haven't found enough friends to run a raid yet so i can't speak to that. But man... That pvp, which has been my bread and butter for years of playing this game, is just abysmal.

That's an interesting (if wrong) opinion...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 03:04 (2574 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The special ammo changes have ruined the chess game and now your only real options are either teamshoot plink plink or to use either NLB or UR.

I was running Ex Machina and Eirene all evening, and I was able to find ammo pretty consistently. The fact that it spawns very often adds a nice flow to the matches, as you have to fight for ammo locations more often. That said, I enjoy the greater focus on Primaries as well. Less Specials on the field at any given time means that you have a greater chance at primary streaks/multikills than before. Shotgunners can't just rush in Willy-nilly without dying to a hail of fire, and Snipers have less ammo at any given time.

Strikes are fine; I haven't found enough friends to run a raid yet so i can't speak to that. But man... That pvp, which has been my bread and butter for years of playing this game, is just abysmal.

Eh, I've enjoyed PvP for the first time since RoI dropped, so different strokes.
I definitely recommend the raids, though. Why not use that Fireteam Builder?

by Kahzgul, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 04:28 (2574 days ago) @ Korny

I was running Ex Machina and Eirene all evening, and I was able to find ammo pretty consistently. The fact that it spawns very often adds a nice flow to the matches, as you have to fight for ammo locations more often. That said, I enjoy the greater focus on Primaries as well. Less Specials on the field at any given time means that you have a greater chance at primary streaks/multikills than before. Shotgunners can't just rush in Willy-nilly without dying to a hail of fire, and Snipers have less ammo at any given time.

Man, that's not my experience at all. The games I play seem to be full of people who start with NLB or UR and then switch weapons once special ammo spawns, switching back if they die. That much time in menus bugs me, but it's clearly giving an advantage to those willing to jump through the hoop and shuffle their guns.

I feel like maybe it's time for me to just tank 20 games in a row so my MMR becomes lower. Which, again, is super lame and should not be a thing that people can do (or should ever feel the need to do).

Eh, I've enjoyed PvP for the first time since RoI dropped, so different strokes.

IMO the best PvP was during the Suros Regime meta, with TTK launch meta being a close second (despite being very very different). I never liked any of the ROI pvp, which is a big part of why I haven't been playing pvp much since that launched.

I definitely recommend the raids, though. Why not use that Fireteam Builder?

Various excuses. Mostly that I don't know if I'm going to be online on any given evening until I actually am, and second that I like to start the night with a pvp match and those have been so frustrating of late that I just can't play anymore afterwards. Horizon Zero Dawn, I love you.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 12:11 (2571 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Man, that's not my experience at all. The games I play seem to be full of people who start with NLB or UR and then switch weapons once special ammo spawns, switching back if they die. That much time in menus bugs me, but it's clearly giving an advantage to those willing to jump through the hoop and shuffle their guns.

they may have a weapon loadout saved in DIM or Tower Ghost. Just have to click on the loadout, and not worry about messing with the menu.

I despise good equipment being locked behind Raids.

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 17:01 (2574 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I do not believe a game like Destiny should make it so difficult to get good equipment. Especially Raid specific equipment. Maybe Raid specific equipment shouldn't even exist.

Destiny's content should be more fun for more people and there should be more of it with more frequent refreshes.

Not to be a complete douche, I like the changes at second bridge of Croata's End.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 17:11 (2574 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I do not believe a game like Destiny should make it so difficult to get good equipment. Especially Raid specific equipment. Maybe Raid specific equipment shouldn't even exist.

Destiny's content should be more fun for more people and there should be more of it with more frequent refreshes.

Not to be a complete douche, I like the changes at second bridge of Croata's End.

Just curious: do you feel that activity-specific equipment just shouldn't be a thing in Destiny? Given the way Destiny handles loot, I don't have any problem with the Raids dropping some of the best gear in the game, because they are some of the most challenging activities. If nothing else, I enjoy the idea of gear that fits into the theme of a raid. Weapons and armor that are visually based on the raid itself, and have perks that make them particularly effective in that raid.

Coming at it from a different angle, maybe there just needs to be better loot rewards for other activities? If strike-chests and Nightfall rewards were more exciting, would that help?

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 19:00 (2573 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just curious: do you feel that activity-specific equipment just shouldn't be a thing in Destiny? Given the way Destiny handles loot, I don't have any problem with the Raids dropping some of the best gear in the game, because they are some of the most challenging activities. If nothing else, I enjoy the idea of gear that fits into the theme of a raid. Weapons and armor that are visually based on the raid itself, and have perks that make them particularly effective in that raid.

Coming at it from a different angle, maybe there just needs to be better loot rewards for other activities? If strike-chests and Nightfall rewards were more exciting, would that help?

I don't mind so much superficial items like pretty armour coming from specific activities. At the same time those activities should be more attainable by the majority. I think I've read, there are huge numbers of Destiny owners who never get to earn Raid weapons, let alone even see the Raid content itself. Shouldn't they get the most that could be had out of this game? They paid the same money.

I love Destiny a lot but that love comes at a price. I get ticked off pretty quick when I realize I can't get stuff or see stuff and it might be because I'm a loner or not skilled enough. That same equipment I can't get now may again stop me from doing something else in the future.

I don't want to come up with a complete redesign for Destiny because it's already very good. I think I'd like to see a system where you grind in fun activities for modules to use on things you like. Earn a Burn module and put it on your favorited automatic. Earn an enemy perk put it on another weapon. In other words, prepare yourself for the activity you hope to succeed at. Maybe less of RNG being such an influencer. I want my activities to reward me with options and not just another roll for useless loot.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 19:22 (2573 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

. I think I've read, there are huge numbers of Destiny owners who never get to earn Raid weapons, let alone even see the Raid content itself. Shouldn't they get the most that could be had out of this game? They paid the same money.

They should do a raid then. And I'm not talking about loot. Raiding is the best experience Destiny has to offer, in my opinion. It's not Bungie's fault that they won't or can't dedicate the time or effort into raiding. I just don't like the lowest common denominator, everyone can do everything theory of game design. There's nothing actively preventing people from raiding.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 19:56 (2573 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is so true. At pretty much every level. I have had regular raid teams over the years. I've also had pickup groups or where I got a carry because I was trying to get a third character through that was not quite high enough and my regular group wasn't available on a Monday night.

And it wasn't even necessarily hard to find the groups. My Y1 group was co-workers. My Y2/3 main group are people who a personal friend of mine LFG'd for and invited me in when one of their regulars was unavailable. I've been invited from the tower to do raids.

The only part of a raid I think you might argue as being inaccessible would be challenge modes. But given that most of those can be completed with 4-5 people it isn't like it can't be experienced.

It's definitely the best of the experience.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 10, 2017, 16:12 (2572 days ago) @ Harmanimus

This is so true. At pretty much every level. I have had regular raid teams over the years. I've also had pickup groups or where I got a carry because I was trying to get a third character through that was not quite high enough and my regular group wasn't available on a Monday night.

And it wasn't even necessarily hard to find the groups. My Y1 group was co-workers. My Y2/3 main group are people who a personal friend of mine LFG'd for and invited me in when one of their regulars was unavailable. I've been invited from the tower to do raids.

The only part of a raid I think you might argue as being inaccessible would be challenge modes. But given that most of those can be completed with 4-5 people it isn't like it can't be experienced.

It's definitely the best of the experience.

Adding on to what you and cheapLEY said, if raids were more accessible, they wouldn't be as good or as special. What makes raids fun and unique is the teamwork required, and they were designed explicitly as a social activity for friends to play together. The friendship component is almost a requirement, especially when you're underleveled and learning. There are tons of people who aren't used to having such a requirement, and they're put off by it, but it's like saying I don't have any bananas and don't want to get any, so banana sandwiches shouldn't be a thing.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, April 10, 2017, 16:26 (2572 days ago) @ Harmanimus

This is so true. At pretty much every level. I have had regular raid teams over the years.

This isn't the case for everyone. I love the Raids, but it sucks trying to schedule to play one. I don't have hours to devote to these things. I was in a group with fello DBOers, who were max light, and very experienced at raids. I joined them just for the Crota challenge. After 2 hours of not completing it, we gave up. I've still not completed the King's Fall raid. With an experience sherpa, two experienced DBOers, myself and 2 other low lights, we played for 7 straight hours, and ONLY MADE IT TO the sisters.

I get it...the toughest task should offer the highest reward. But when myself at 393 and a friend at 386 are getting destroyed in this current nightfall, we still are going to rely on an elite player pulling us through. Knowing this immediately pulls items off the table for us, so I just go back to patrols and bounties. Which is why I would like to see some long term goals. We have weekly crucible and strike bounties, why not weekly vanguard bounties? Why not monthly? Various vanguard questlines that are purely long term grinds.

You now have two ways to get the top tier gear. Short term hardcore tasks, or long term moderate tasks.

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, April 10, 2017, 17:33 (2572 days ago) @ ManKitten

You now have two ways to get the top tier gear. Short term hardcore tasks, or long term moderate tasks.

That's along my thinking too.

Besides, Destiny is a much better public playspace with people in it all the time than just when new content comes out. Let the grinders earn the same stuff Bungie.

Who am I kidding, Bungie never leans to my way of thinking. It's like they know I like something and go out there way to make things worse. That's why I don't buy a season pass on their games. Maybe someday I'll save some money by walking away.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 11:46 (2571 days ago) @ ManKitten

a lot of it is not so much the skill, but the synergy of the group. It seems like some groups just click and it comes together like the A-Team. Other times, you can have several experienced players, but it just doesn't work for some reason.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 15:12 (2571 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

a lot of it is not so much the skill, but the synergy of the group. It seems like some groups just click and it comes together like the A-Team. Other times, you can have several experienced players, but it just doesn't work for some reason.

This is so true, and I'm never quite sure why.

I disagree, but I don't like the best raid stuff from raids.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, April 08, 2017, 19:57 (2573 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Like if I have to grind the raid to get a gun that's only good because of a raid mechanic or something? Seriously F that. If the only reason to get a raid gun is to play the raid, I'm not gonna bother trying hard for it.

I'd rather run the normal modes with my friends ultra casually.

Destiny endgame: The rich get richer.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, April 09, 2017, 06:03 (2573 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Destiny has a problem in that it reserves the best gear, generally speaking, for the people who complete the hard mode raids or who win at trials of osiris.

That's dumb.

You're taking players who need to help to beat the hardest challenges in the game, and then giving them help. All while telling the players who actually need that help "git gud."

So frustrating.

IMO the hardest content of the game should reward you with very excellent cosmetic items. The Trials armor tokens were a nice touch, and I think similar high-profile cosmetic items should be all you get. That way the best players can show off, but they don't get a little nudge pushing them even farther ahead of the other players whom they are already better than.

Before anyone says it, I understand the attitude of "why shouldn't I get the best thing for beating the hardest thing?" The answer is that you clearly don't need the hardest thing to be made any easier. You enjoyed the challenge; why would you want it to suddenly be less challenging? Because you're only going back to farm it for the loot. Be honest, if you didn't get "the best guns" from that hardmode raid, would you even play it? If the answer is yes, then hey - you don't need those guns to have fun in that raid! Leave the guns behind for the people who need them. If the answer is no, then guess what - you can still farm guns from easier activities while leaving hard mode as a challenge for people that seek a challenge rather than a brick wall people feel they "must" throw themselves against in order to get the guns they think they need.

by DocOctavius, Orlando Florida, Sunday, April 09, 2017, 09:15 (2573 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Honestly the biggest challenge is finding the time and people. I'm not a great player and I've done all the raids, if you haven't you just need to make time and use lfg or the tools here. Missing out on raids is a choice, and depending on your real life responsibilities, you might not have the time, but that's not the games fault. Get a babysitter lol

by Kahzgul, Monday, April 10, 2017, 03:53 (2572 days ago) @ DocOctavius

Honestly the biggest challenge is finding the time and people. I'm not a great player and I've done all the raids, if you haven't you just need to make time and use lfg or the tools here. Missing out on raids is a choice, and depending on your real life responsibilities, you might not have the time, but that's not the games fault. Get a babysitter lol

I've done the raids. I like the raids. They were awesome the first time, and fun one or two times after that.

What I don't like is having to do them 40 times to get a gun that gives me +2 range or something so that I can then go and be on equal footing in pvp with the guys I get matched with. It was way, WAY worse in vanilla VoG than it is now (that VoG shotgun was the best shotty in the game by a wide margin for a damn long while, and it never once dropped for me), but it's still a terrible design choice.

Technically, Felwinter's Lie was still best shotgun.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 10, 2017, 10:43 (2572 days ago) @ Kahzgul

http://destinydb.com/item/160095218/felwinters-lie

It was barely available, but it I have seen these pre-TDB Felwinter's Lies occasionally.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 09, 2017, 13:30 (2573 days ago) @ Kahzgul

IMO the hardest content of the game should reward you with very excellent cosmetic items. The Trials armor tokens were a nice touch, and I think similar high-profile cosmetic items should be all you get. That way the best players can show off, but they don't get a little nudge pushing them even farther ahead of the other players whom they are already better than.

I'd love to see a system like that. I'd like to see cosmetics be completely separate from from stats. Don't make me wear ugly shit to get the stats I want.

by Kahzgul, Monday, April 10, 2017, 03:49 (2572 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd love to see a system like that. I'd like to see cosmetics be completely separate from from stats. Don't make me wear ugly shit to get the stats I want.

It would be glorious!

Sorry, sorry...

It would be FRABJOUS!!!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread