King's Fall Raid Challenge Thoughts (Destiny)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:19 (2542 days ago)
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:40

There's not much different in the 390 variant of the King's Fall Raid, but I figured we should still have a thread to discuss it. The challenges themselves have not changed:

• Warpriest Challenge: A different Guardian must hold the 'Aura' each time it appears.
  • Golgoroth Challenge: Each time Golgoroth's gaze is focused, every member of the fire team must grab his gaze without interruption until all 6 Guardians have held it.
  • Oryx Challenge: Oryx must be killed in a single detonation of corrupted light. This requires at least 16 "bombs" must be triggered at once (while his chest is kept open).

Thoughts after initial completion:
Mouldering shards are not longer dropped, and having 20 in inventory when Oryx dies has no effect.

If the conditions of the challenge are not met, there is no notification that the challenge has failed.

The loot table has been changed:
Knuckles of Eao drop after passing through the portal
The 'secret' chests all have an exotic chance and drop a legendary engram*
The Totems can drop a class item now
Warpriest can drop the shotgun, boots and gauntlets now, but no heavy weapons
Golgoroth can drop the fusion rifle and legendary primaries now, but no boots or gauntlets.
Deathsingers can drop a ghost shell now, but no shotgun
Oryx can drop heavy weapons, class item, sparrow and shader now

The challenges themselves are unchanged.

Observations

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:40 (2542 days ago) @ Chappy

- Icebreaker does not kill the Knight in the totems section with a headshot. It's annoying doing 44k damage only to leave them with a sliver of health
- I haven't beat the sisters or Oryx yet, but the rest of it pretty much played out as normal
- Legendary engrams that are supposed to go to your postmaster if you open a chest do not show as being in the postmaster until you leave the raid.

Observations

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:47 (2542 days ago) @ unoudid

- Icebreaker does not kill the Knight in the totems section with a headshot. It's annoying doing 44k damage only to leave them with a sliver of health

The highest-impact snipers can one-shot them (37 or 38 impact):
Ex Machina
Devil's Dawn
Event Horizon
Black Spindle

Warpriest

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:41 (2542 days ago) @ Chappy

• Before the encounter starts, identify who will step onto each plate first and second each time it's last in the sequence.
  • Put one guardian in the front right room to call the sequence (this can also be done from the front left room, or from the center directly under the Warpriest)
  • First aura should be taken to the right side plate, with a Titan weapon bubble behind it (blessing too if there's a second Titan)
  • Second and Third aura should be taken to the center behind the low wall, also with a Titan weapon bubble behind it (blessing too if possible)

So there are no changes except that it's back to 3 cycles of damage. Actually I think it can be done in 2 (we had a 385 raid virgin with us)

Gotcha. 4 cycles of damage. :P

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 21:22 (2541 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

Nah, probably need 5, tbh

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 23:55 (2541 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Agree on 2 cycles.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 13, 2017, 04:03 (2541 days ago) @ Chappy

We were running inefficient loadouts, were disorganized, missed 80% of bow shots and had a random, but were getting near enough half his damage down. I find this plausible.

Still stupid easy. Too bad the adept weapons are awful.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, April 14, 2017, 14:35 (2540 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

Golgoroth

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:42 (2542 days ago) @ Chappy

• Titan Blessing bubble in the front left alcove in the pit; everyone in the bubble
  • #1 Gaze holder on front left crates drops the orb, snipes to get the gaze, and calls out the time
  • As soon as gaze is pulled, everyone into the pool with Spindles and snipers. Tether.
  • #2 Gaze holder leaves at 10 seconds to get in position at back right
  • Guardian with unstable light leaves with 3 seconds left
  • Cycle through #3, #4, #5 alternating between front left and back right
  • #6 grabs gaze and heads into the spawn tunnel for extra room killing balls (can get help)
  • Clear adds and cycle
  • When the Taken appear during the third damage cycle, Stormcaller (with trancendance) keeps the DPS team safe

As with the Warpriest, there's nothing new here except that it's back to 3 cycles of damage. We added the stormcaller as a safety measure, and it definitely helped.

A note on the Deathsinger:
This can still be done in two cycles with a tether for each Deathsinger and the majority of the fireteam using Touch of Malice. A weapons bubble probably helped too.

Wait, this can't be right!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 13, 2017, 01:09 (2541 days ago) @ Chappy

That's the Playstation strategy! You're not on the Playstation.

As a gaze holder, I find it much easier to wait for someone to turn him around and maybe have other people shoot down the orb, but the Playstation people insist that the gaze holder must be god-like, shoot down the bubble, and a fraction of second later shoot the sliver of his Golgy's sensitive-spot that you can barely see from the front as his head wobbles around, then drop down from atop the crate to be in the correct position to fend off axion darts. EZPZ, they say. WRONG.

OTOH, you're adopting the traditional Xbox strategy for the rest of it, instead of the EZPZ Playstation way, which is having the gaze holders 2-6 run the perimeter of the room so that no one but gaze holder #1 ever has to worry about axion darts.

What I wouldn't give for a team that chose both easy strategies. It might result in slightly less damage each cycle, but it's not uncommon to lose that regardless if gaze-holder #1 isn't able to get the gaze right away, which isn't uncommon in my experience.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, April 13, 2017, 03:26 (2541 days ago) @ Kermit

As a gaze holder, I find it much easier to wait for someone to turn him around and maybe have other people shoot down the orb, but the Playstation people insist that the gaze holder must be god-like, shoot down the bubble, and a fraction of second later shoot the sliver of his Golgy's sensitive-spot that you can barely see from the front as his head wobbles around, then drop down from atop the crate to be in the correct position to fend off axion darts. EZPZ, they say. WRONG.

It's not common, but if you've got someone on the fire team that can manage this, it makes the encounter trivial. With tethers and grenades you end up with 5 guardians doing max DPS for the maximum time, and end up downing him in two cycles. Definitely EZ mode, as long as you're not that guy. I don't trust myself to to do it - every time I try I miss the first three sniper shots and feel like an idiot because I know the rest of the team is just standing around below listening while I miss shot after shot. No pressure :)

For a couple of DBO runs tonight we went with the "distraction" Xbox strategy rather than the above. The better run used a Titan distraction bubble in the back right (Weapons and Gift of the Void). As soon as Golgy started shooting the bubble, the second weapons bubble went up in the alcove behind the front right pool. Everyone else shot the orb then dropped down to pick up WoL. A couple of seconds after the orb drops, the first gaze holder took the focus and we were off to the DPS races (3 cycles)

Of course we still went with the "Stand and shoot" approach while passing the gaze, so we're not your dream team. Honestly I'm not sure we've ever tried the "run around in circles" strat, but I think everyone knows that if they miss too many orbs, they just need to turn and run away.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 13, 2017, 13:40 (2541 days ago) @ Chappy

It's not common, but if you've got someone on the fire team that can manage this, it makes the encounter trivial. With tethers and grenades you end up with 5 guardians doing max DPS for the maximum time, and end up downing him in two cycles. Definitely EZ mode, as long as you're not that guy. I don't trust myself to to do it - every time I try I miss the first three sniper shots and feel like an idiot because I know the rest of the team is just standing around below listening while I miss shot after shot. No pressure :)

For a couple of DBO runs tonight we went with the "distraction" Xbox strategy rather than the above. The better run used a Titan distraction bubble in the back right (Weapons and Gift of the Void). As soon as Golgy started shooting the bubble, the second weapons bubble went up in the alcove behind the front right pool. Everyone else shot the orb then dropped down to pick up WoL. A couple of seconds after the orb drops, the first gaze holder took the focus and we were off to the DPS races (3 cycles)

Of course we still went with the "Stand and shoot" approach while passing the gaze, so we're not your dream team. Honestly I'm not sure we've ever tried the "run around in circles" strat, but I think everyone knows that if they miss too many orbs, they just need to turn and run away.

The beauty of the run around strat is that Golgy follows the gaze holder, so he turns, showing this back to the next holder. No one except gaze holder #1 has to deal with axion darts.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, April 13, 2017, 14:23 (2541 days ago) @ Kermit

The beauty of the run around strat is that Golgy follows the gaze holder, so he turns, showing this back to the next holder. No one except gaze holder #1 has to deal with axion darts.

The PS crew used to do the stand & shoot and then we swapped to running laps. Running laps is less dangerous (IMHO) those purple bouncy balls of random death can be unpredictable if you're in the wrong spot.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, April 13, 2017, 17:56 (2540 days ago) @ dogcow

My group always split into two teams of three, one at the crate with the initial gaze holder and the other directly opposite. Everyone know the order they take gaze, so they pick it up immediately when Golgy finishes turning. And if any darts do show up, you have 2 folks to help you deal with them.

Oryx

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:44 (2542 days ago) @ Chappy
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 14:49

We used the same strategy that almost everyone uses these days (1 runner, 3 on the plates, 2 in the center in Titan bubbles). Since Touch of Malice was 'fixed' to remove blessing of light, it's no longer quick and safe way for two center guardians to kill the 4 Ogres. This significantly changed our weapon loadouts:

• Relic Runner: Touch of Malice, highest impact sniper, Quillim's Terminus MG
  • Everyone Else: Sleeper Simulant, highest impact sniper, high impact scout

Sleeper Simulant absolutely wrecks in this encounter, but ammo management becomes a problem. Titans and Warlocks can have 12 rounds of ammo with the right exotic, and hunters only get 9. It may be necessary to use heavy syth after the stagger and prior to Thunderdome to keep up.

With a Weapons of Light and Blessing bubble in the center, a center guardian fired a single sleeper shot at each Ogre. Each person on the plate also fired one Sleeper, and together this killed each ogre. If there was a missed crit, the center guardians can clean up with snipers.

The three guardians on the plates also fired a sleeper round to stagger Oryx each time - 3 shots did it handily (though everyone was firing except perhaps the person killing Knight #4)
Each person on the plate and one of the center guardians used a high impact sniper (impact 37 or 38) to one-shot their knight.

Guardians only used one or two sniper shots on the Shade of Oryx to converve special ammo - the vast majority of damage was done with the high-impact scout rifles with explosive rounds

The Epitome of my CM Experience *VID*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 14, 2017, 12:49 (2540 days ago) @ Chappy

So close...

Blame Zero...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 14, 2017, 14:09 (2540 days ago) @ breitzen

He detonated a bomb.

Despite the wipes, it was one of the least stressful KF runs I've had. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread