Age of Lag: Backfiring (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 24, 2017, 22:18 (2551 days ago)

Saw an interesting latency-related phenomenon in a patrol awhile ago.

While in the same patrol zone and in a fireteam, Blackstar and I don't see Funkmon in the same place. But when I shoot Funk, we both see him hit-- meaning from Blackstar's perspective, my gun fires backwards through itself in order to hit Funk.

Thats Awesome.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, April 24, 2017, 23:04 (2551 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

I'm surprised how amused we were by that.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 01:10 (2551 days ago) @ narcogen

I now understand Let's Players totally overreacting to simple things. We were totally overreacting to simple things.

Yup.

by BlackstarBSP, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 22:33 (2550 days ago) @ Funkmon

I now understand Let's Players totally overreacting to simple things. We were totally overreacting to simple things.

Age of Lag: Backfiring

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 02:23 (2551 days ago) @ narcogen

That was fun! Also you guys did a really good job testing that out; I'd have been proud to have you on my teams back in the day.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 06:25 (2551 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That was fun! Also you guys did a really good job testing that out; I'd have been proud to have you on my teams back in the day.

Thanks!

I might need to start a third career sometime later this year, nice to know there could be options :)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 19:06 (2550 days ago) @ narcogen

Thanks!

I might need to start a third career sometime later this year, nice to know there could be options :)

Minimum wage to start and likely night shift work. It's a stepping stone to video game production in the same way that working the mail room is a stepping stone to running disney. That being said, there's usually enough OT involved to make upwards of 60k per year.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 21:01 (2550 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Wat. This sounds great. Count me in!

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 04:46 (2550 days ago) @ Funkmon

If you're seriously interested in spending so much time at the office that you turn off the gas and electricity at your home and keep a week's worth of clothes in your car at all times (all things I did), you can probably find applications on all of the big production house websites. EA and Activision-Blizzard have offices in LA (as does THQ, though I can't guarantee the same "opportunities" for OT there). Microsoft is in Redmond, WA. I've never worked for them either.

Anyway, May and June are big staffing months as they gear up to crunch test the christmas launch games. About half of the staff is seasonal and only works during the summer months (this way, every single year, they can impress their shareholders by "hiring 150 additional test staff" and then quietly lay them off three months later).

Back when I was testing, we hired every single applicant because they had that many jobs to fill. I once had two guys on my team who didn't speak a lick of English and I had no means of communicating with them. But we had to hire them so we met our "new hires" numbers.

Good luck!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 08:30 (2549 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If you're seriously interested in spending so much time at the office that you turn off the gas and electricity at your home and keep a week's worth of clothes in your car at all times (all things I did),

I do that right now!

you can probably find applications on all of the big production house websites. EA and Activision-Blizzard have offices in LA (as does THQ, though I can't guarantee the same "opportunities" for OT there). Microsoft is in Redmond, WA. I've never worked for them either.

Anyway, May and June are big staffing months as they gear up to crunch test the christmas launch games. About half of the staff is seasonal and only works during the summer months (this way, every single year, they can impress their shareholders by "hiring 150 additional test staff" and then quietly lay them off three months later).

Back when I was testing, we hired every single applicant because they had that many jobs to fill. I once had two guys on my team who didn't speak a lick of English and I had no means of communicating with them. But we had to hire them so we met our "new hires" numbers.

Good luck!

This sounds like fun. Going to look for something in Florida.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 17:13 (2549 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Good grief, what is the minimum wage where you live? I'm pretty sure if I worked enough at a minimum wage job to make $60K in a year, I'd be dead.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 20:03 (2548 days ago) @ stabbim

Good grief, what is the minimum wage where you live? I'm pretty sure if I worked enough at a minimum wage job to make $60K in a year, I'd be dead.

At the time, I was making $9.75/hr to manage a team of 300 people. Yes, you read that correctly. I was working 80-100 hours per week every week, 13 out of every 14 days. I had turned off the electricity and gas at my apartment. I slept at the office. I showered at the gym next door. I kept a week's worth of clothes in my car and washed them at a nearby laundromat. I ate whatever food the office bought and I only replied to voicemails when they were of the "Kahz, it's your mom, are you dead?" variety (and even that took me a few weeks to get back to).

The math on the earnings was: 9.75 for 8 hours, 29.25 for the next two, and then 130 for the remaining 6 2/3 hours of my typical 16 2/3 hours workday, for a total of 237.25 per day for 5 days of the week, and 276.25 for my 6th day each week (change first 8 hours to all time and a half), and 325 for my 7th day every other week. There were probably some labor laws being violated as that rolled into the following week, but I never asked a lawyer so I don't honestly know. Anyway, every 2 week pay period came out to (on average) $3,250. Fifty working weeks in the year for $81, 250 per year at that pace. Generally the crunch only lasted for 8 months out of the year rather than all 12 though, so $60k is what I was realistically earning.

It was hellish, and when my boss offered to put me on the fast track to EP in 7 years, instead of taking his offer, I quit. And now I edit reality TV!

Whoa. What shows?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 21:19 (2548 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Whoa. What shows?

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, May 02, 2017, 04:26 (2544 days ago) @ Funkmon

Jersey Shore is the big one. But I've really only been editing for a few years (and mostly all on Cutthroat Kitchen). I've been an AE on more than 40 shows though.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, April 28, 2017, 12:42 (2547 days ago) @ Kahzgul

At the time, I was making $9.75/hr to manage a team of 300 people. Yes, you read that correctly. I was working 80-100 hours per week every week, 13 out of every 14 days. I had turned off the electricity and gas at my apartment. I slept at the office. I showered at the gym next door. I kept a week's worth of clothes in my car and washed them at a nearby laundromat. I ate whatever food the office bought and I only replied to voicemails when they were of the "Kahz, it's your mom, are you dead?" variety (and even that took me a few weeks to get back to).

The math on the earnings was: 9.75 for 8 hours, 29.25 for the next two, and then 130 for the remaining 6 2/3 hours of my typical 16 2/3 hours workday, for a total of 237.25 per day for 5 days of the week, and 276.25 for my 6th day each week (change first 8 hours to all time and a half), and 325 for my 7th day every other week. There were probably some labor laws being violated as that rolled into the following week, but I never asked a lawyer so I don't honestly know. Anyway, every 2 week pay period came out to (on average) $3,250. Fifty working weeks in the year for $81, 250 per year at that pace. Generally the crunch only lasted for 8 months out of the year rather than all 12 though, so $60k is what I was realistically earning.

It was hellish, and when my boss offered to put me on the fast track to EP in 7 years, instead of taking his offer, I quit. And now I edit reality TV!

So what I'm reading here is: I was right. Would be dead. Probably by my own hand.

This made me laugh - thanks for sharing!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 12:52 (2550 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

It’s like Trials all over again

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 18:51 (2550 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

ahhh, I thought I had repressed all of those memories!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 17:24 (2549 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread