Destiny's timeline calculated... (/-/ Rampant Speculation /-/)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 15:04 (2548 days ago)

So Reddit user APartyInMyPants did the monster math to gauge how much time has passed between when our Guardians awoke, and when Destiny 2 starts, based off of the game's Day/night cycle.

I won't count the beta (or alpha), but the first playable day of Destiny was September 9, 2014, while the first playable day of Destiny 2 will be September 8, 2017.

That's a range of 1095 days. And with a one-hour day/night cycle on Earth in Destiny, that means that every IRL day is 24 days in game. Extrapolating that, 1095 IRL days equates to 26,280 day/night cycles on Earth. Doing the math, that means that day one players have been around for exactly 72 years (if only dividing by 365).

Once he includes the Alpha, the numbers get a little more... Bungie-like.

But if we add that entire gap of time from June 12 - September 9, that brings us an addition 89 IRL days, for a total of 1184 IRL days. That turns to 28,416 day/night cycles, which puts us at ...

Drum roll ...

77.85 years.

Even accounting for the leap days over that span (19 of them) that puts us at 77.8 years.

Pretty neat!
Rise of Iron is really the only way to gauge how much time has passed, since it's clearly Winter in the Cosmodrome, but it doesn't necessarily say that all of the events in Destiny have been over a brief time period.

So what you're saying is...

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 15:32 (2548 days ago) @ Korny

That Kermit's guardian is almost as old as he is! :P

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 16:06 (2548 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Nowhere close. Check my profile.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 17:28 (2548 days ago) @ Kermit

Lol

I had to pick between you and Claude fir that joke and if it weren't for his banhammer....

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 17:59 (2548 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 18:03

Lol

I had to pick between you and Claude fir that joke and if it weren't for his banhammer....

There's this app going around where you take a picture and it can construct an older version of yourself. So Claude posted the result to facebook

Well, his 'old' version was exactly the same as the original picture :-p

This is 100% true.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 18:10 (2548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol

There's this app going around where you take a picture and it can construct an older version of yourself. So Claude posted the result to facebook

Well, his 'old' version was exactly the same as the original picture :-p

This is 100% true.

Oh I saw it, I just couldn't bring myself to pile on hahaha

So many questions!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 17:07 (2548 days ago) @ Korny

Are we assuming the arrival of the Traveler had no effect on Earth's rotation? This math is using a 1:24 hour ratio as a day. Maybe time still passes 1:1 with our real time but the Earth spins faster.

Otherwise...

Since our ghosts can revive us I guess they can keep us from aging too?
Are guardians ageless but civilians still age like normal?
What determines who can be guardians?
Can ghosts only revive guardians?
If ghosts can revive and anti-age, is humanity really in threat of this cabal attack?
Do ghosts only survive if the traveler is "alive"?
If the traveler/ghosts die, do the guardians suddenly age rapidly?
Do Awoken have longer life spans than humans?
Can we be revived if we are blown to bits?

(man work is getting stressful...)

So many questions!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 17:48 (2548 days ago) @ ManKitten

Maybe time still passes 1:1 with our real time but the Earth spins faster.

If Destiny's day/night cycles are actually 24 hours, then wouldn't we appear to be moving in slow motion to normal people if it only seems like an hour and a half day to our guardians?

So many questions!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 18:30 (2548 days ago) @ ManKitten

Are we assuming the arrival of the Traveler had no effect on Earth's rotation? This math is using a 1:24 hour ratio as a day. Maybe time still passes 1:1 with our real time but the Earth spins faster.

Otherwise...

Since our ghosts can revive us I guess they can keep us from aging too?

Apparently so. Lord Saladin and Lady Efrideet have been around for over 500 years post initial revive.

Are guardians ageless but civilians still age like normal?

Presumably. One of the most recent Grimoire cards has Cayde-6 roping Shaxx into mentoring some snotty City brats, trying to teach them to win at dodgeball.

What determines who can be guardians? Can ghosts only revive guardians?

We don't have a fully account by any means, but it seems like Ghosts search far and wide looking for their Guardian. They sometimes even travel beyond Earth before finding theirs. So far, it seems to be a 1:1 ratio... Except for possibly Shin Malphur who may have inherited Jaren Ward's Ghost... somehow... without ever dying...

If ghosts can revive and anti-age, is humanity really in threat of this cabal attack?

Absolutely. In game, we can always reload. In the real world tales within the Grimoire, killing a Guardian then targeting his or her Ghost as it moves in to revive them is a strategy we've seen used by Lord Felwinter and some of the pre-City warlords. The Cabal were also very interested in finding a way to prevent Guardians from reviving.

Do ghosts only survive if the traveler is "alive"?

Unknown.

If the traveler/ghosts die, do the guardians suddenly age rapidly?

No. We have Eris Morn as an example of a Ghostless Guardian.

Do Awoken have longer life spans than humans?

Yes. Very much so. There's a couple of references to their long lives that you can track down. Mostly in item descriptions I think. And Exos have been around since the collapse... though most seem to have had their memories reset a few times (as in Cayde-6).

Can we be revived if we are blown to bits?

Almost certainly. I can't recall any specific references to Guardian dismemberment, but we routinely get hit by rockets and evaporated by Supers. So far, Guardians seem all but impervious to attacks that stop once they are killed. Only ongoing attacks, like the Awoken bombing a Fallen position that Guardians were currently attacking, has been shown to kill Guardians (and their Ghosts) with standard weaponry.

So many questions!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 19:38 (2548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Apparently so. Lord Saladin and Lady Efrideet have been around for over 500 years post initial revive.

This is what's bugging me. Time is a relative concept. 500 IRL years? or 500 Destiny years...where 1 year = 365 hours.

I'll just go ahead and fill in all the gaps that the grimoire has obviously missed. The Traveler has sped up the earths rotation so 1 day now only lasts 1 hour and all topics related to time are adjusted to this scale.

So, if Saladin and Efrideet are 500 Destiny years, thats 182,500 hours. Divided by 8,760 (hours in IRL years) that's only 20.833 (repeating of course) IRL years.

I feel like my math is flawless.

#ManKitten is a cannon
#Take that for data
#Am I doing this right?

So many questions!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 23:55 (2548 days ago) @ ManKitten

#Am I doing this right?

Nope.

+1

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 10:55 (2547 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

So many questions!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 03:42 (2547 days ago) @ ManKitten

Unless the Traveler also sped up Earth's orbit, a year would still be a year. Not sure why I'm bothering to nitpick any of this, though.

Destiny's timeline calculated...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 21:07 (2548 days ago) @ Korny

But the world only 'exists' when your guardian is in it.

If you have 1000 hours in the game, that means 1000 days, or about 3 years. That makes the most sense, as I feel like everything from Destiny to Rise of Iron could take place in a 3 year timespan.

Of course the problem looking at it that way, is that while we play our guardians then never sleep or poop. If only we had Guardian Apartments…

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 00:45 (2548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Of course the problem looking at it that way, is that while we play our guardians then never sleep or poop. If only we had Guardian Apartments…

I always assumed our guardians live out of their spaceship, which is why they don't have apartments. When we go to orbit they're getting downtime. The ship is like a space RV.

Speaking of, I'm requesting this ship in D2.
[image]

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 05:01 (2547 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not saying it's transmat...

But it's transmat.

Monkey wrench ;)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 21:45 (2548 days ago) @ Korny

Don't some quests refer to the weekly reset, which is 168 hrs, not 7? Also, armsday is longer than 1 hour.

Also, is 1 day an hour on Mars and Venus as well?

Does the earth rotate in 1 hr when viewed from the moon?

Tldr: day/night cycle is not canon

Monkey wrench ;)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 05:02 (2547 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Destiny is actually a temporal non-linear recompression of variant timelines rechecking to reach a perfect timeline where "The Guardian" achieves everything that is required, up to and including existing simultaneously with themselves to accomplish greater tasks.

At least that is he only way any of it makes sense.

Taking a tangent here

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 27, 2017, 19:05 (2546 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

You know, that always bothered me about our concept of "day". The Earth isn't standing still while it rotates around itself, it also rotates around the Sun. So is a day a complete revolution around Earth's axis, slightly less or slightly more? Also, Earth's orbit isn't a perfect circle, it's rather elliptical, so different positions of such orbit would mean different orbit speeds which would again change how long it takes for the Sun to appear in the same place in the sky it did yesterday EVERY SINGLE DAY. So, what the heck?!

This is what causes Daylight's Saving Times

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 19:13 (2546 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

lol

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 28, 2017, 06:29 (2545 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Analemma

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, April 28, 2017, 13:29 (2545 days ago) @ ZackDark

You know, that always bothered me about our concept of "day". The Earth isn't standing still while it rotates around itself, it also rotates around the Sun. So is a day a complete revolution around Earth's axis, slightly less or slightly more? Also, Earth's orbit isn't a perfect circle, it's rather elliptical, so different positions of such orbit would mean different orbit speeds which would again change how long it takes for the Sun to appear in the same place in the sky it did yesterday EVERY SINGLE DAY. So, what the heck?!

Analemma!

In tiny pink post-it notes on my office wall... yes, I'm a nerd.
[image]

That's not it, though

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 28, 2017, 18:30 (2545 days ago) @ dogcow

I mean, I certainly appreciate that phenomenon, but it at least follows the "orbit around the sun" period. I'm worried about "rotates around itself" period and how it shouldn't sync at all with our "day" let alone should it reset after a full orbit (or 4 of them, even, keeping the leap year justification in mind).

That's not it, though

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 28, 2017, 18:46 (2545 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, April 28, 2017, 18:57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_time

Earth makes one rotation around its axis in a sidereal day; during that time it moves a short distance (about 1°) along its orbit around the Sun. So after a sidereal day has passed, Earth still needs to rotate slightly more before the Sun reaches local noon according to solar time. A mean solar day is, therefore, nearly 4 minutes longer than a sidereal day.

So yeah. If you were in a highly elliptical orbit around something really massive, your solar day could change by a lot.

Aha! That's it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 29, 2017, 21:15 (2544 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Thank you for finally getting me a name for it. Also, great thoughts all around the article.

That's not it, though

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 01, 2017, 13:28 (2542 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mean, I certainly appreciate that phenomenon, but it at least follows the "orbit around the sun" period. I'm worried about "rotates around itself" period and how it shouldn't sync at all with our "day" let alone should it reset after a full orbit (or 4 of them, even, keeping the leap year justification in mind).

Yeah, I know, I was just using it as an excuse to show off my nerdy wall @ work. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread