What Remains of Edith Finch (Gone Home, etc.) (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 16:22 (2541 days ago)

I finally got around to playing Gone Home for the first time last week. It was free with PS+ some months ago, but it just never made it to the top of my play list. Perhaps not worth talking about in too much depth, as I'm really late to that party, but I'll just say that I absolutely loved it. I already knew the story the game was telling (waiting years to play something tends to have that effect), but I still found it extremely compelling, and the game does an incredible job of building a sense of tension while you wonder around the house.

I also tried Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, but didn't make it too far. I'm not sure what it is about that one, but it just didn't hold my attention. I just didn't care about what was happening, and just wondering around and exploring wasn't compelling. I think it was the lack of interactivity--having played Gone Home made me want to be able to look through cabinets and drawers and find things, but Everyone's Gone to the Rapture has none of that. It's still on my harddrive; maybe I'll get back to it someday.

So, in the vein of those sorts of games, I played What Remains of Edith Finch last night. It just dropped last week. I really, really enjoyed it. The game has you playing as Edith Finch visiting her old family home, which is a crazy looking monstrosity (I immediately thought of The Burrow from Harry Potter). You must explore the house and find ways into the bedrooms, which have all been sealed, and find the story of the room's former occupant. Edith narrates as she wanders around, and when you find the thing in the bedroom, you play a short vignette (ranging from 3-4 minutes all the way up to 15-20 minutes) that tells the story of that room's occupant.

A few quick non-spoilery thoughts, but I'll put some spoilers below the video at the end of this post for any that have also played the game (or don't care about spoilers).
Like Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, I wish What Remains of Edith Finch had the interactivity of Gone Home. I'm not sure it would have actually added anything to the game, but I longed to pick up all the objects that clutter every square inch of the house. There are still lots of little details you can pick up on as you look around, but I just like feeling like I'm physically interacting with things in the way Gone Home let you.

The game tells an interesting story, or more accurately, some interesting stories. I found it very compelling, but it doesn't really come together in the end in the way I hoped. You never really discover the "truth" of what's going on--I guess maybe that's part of the point. It definitely feels like a collection of themed short stories rather than a complete novel, if that makes since.

I think this is probably the most interesting one of those games so far. I just really like the way it's presented (and it's a cool looking game). The interactive vignettes of the family's story are all fun. Each one is completely new and unique, like tiny games within the game, and even the long ones are short enough to not overstay their welcome.
If you like these games, I think this one is a no-brainer. It's about two hours or so to finish if that's important to you.

Here's Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game. As always, I think it's a good look at what the game is. This quick look does play through the first vignette (and one of my favorites), so be aware of that. I personally watched the first ten minutes and that was enough to convince me to get the game--I didn't watch the rest of the Quick Look until I played it. Spoilers follow below the video.

The vignettes are the real selling features of this game, and I enjoyed all of them. The entire premise of the game is that the family is cursed, and these vignettes tell the story of how each family member died.

The first one you discover tells the story of a little girl that dreams about being incredible hungry. She wonders around looking for food, until she finds a bird outside the window and turns into a cat to chase it, which leads to her turning into an owl to hunt rabbits, and then she turns into a shark and hunts seals, and then turns into a tentacled monster and hunts humans, which ends with the monster hiding under her own bed as she turns back into herself. The player plays through this whole sequence, becoming each animal in turn as the little girl narrates how hungry she is and the animals hunt their prey. It's a particularly strong start to the game.

Another standout is a comic book that's telling the story of a teenage movie star as she babysits her little brother on Halloween night. It starts as a sort of motion comic, and then turns interactive as you control the girl through certain panels. It's just a neat presentation.

My favorite is a narrated letter from one of the family member's psychiatrist. She tells the story of a man who was previously a drug addict working in a tuna canning plant. Only after becoming sober does he notice how monotonous his job is, which you play through for a short while. Tuna enters the screen from the left. You must use the right thumbstick to grab the tuna, move it to the right side of the screen where it is beheaded, then throw the body forward. As time goes on, the narration tells of how he starts daydreaming. A new screen appears overlayed on the left side of the screen, and now you're playing a sort of dungeon crawler with the left thumbstick--but you must also still do the job of beheading tuna at the same time with the right thumbstick. The man's imagination keeps going, and the game expands and changes, taking more of the screen. It continues like this (this is one of the longer vignettes) until the man believes that his imagined life is the real thing and that freeing himself from his body will allow him to live his fantasies. You know how that ends.

The game ends with the revelation that Edith has been narrating a journal that she wrote for her child, who closes the notebook and is revealed to be sitting at the family cemetery in front of Edith's gravestone, the house you just spent two hours wondering through looming in the background. I suppose it's a decent enough ending, but I got the impression while I was playing that the stories were all going to add up to more, somehow, and it just didn't really happen.

What Remains of Edith Finch (Gone Home, etc.)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 17:44 (2541 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I bought Edith Finch and I'm looking forward to it. For me, Gone Home didn't quite live up to the praise it received, but I enjoyed it. Everyone's Gone to the Rapture is worth it if you really like "walking simulators," but otherwise, I'd pass. I was distracted by the fact that the voice actor who played Marlene from the Last of Us is in it, and she never was not Marlene to me. Not fair, but there it is. Life Is Strange and Firewatch are my favorite two.

Here's my problem

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 18:23 (2541 days ago) @ Kermit

If literally 45 seconds go by where I can't have a branching conversation with someone, I am bored with the game. Literally never got far enough into the rapture game to know there were voice actors.

Here's my problem

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 18:33 (2541 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think my biggest problem was just the presentation. I don't know why, but the glowing orange people annoyed me. I just didn't like anything about the way that looked.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 18:38 (2541 days ago) @ Kermit

I bought Edith Finch and I'm looking forward to it. For me, Gone Home didn't quite live up to the praise it received, but I enjoyed it. Everyone's Gone to the Rapture is worth it if you really like "walking simulators," but otherwise, I'd pass. I was distracted by the fact that the voice actor who played Marlene from the Last of Us is in it, and she never was not Marlene to me. Not fair, but there it is. Life Is Strange and Firewatch are my favorite two.

Life is Strange feels way more like an adventure game to me. The rest are more straightforward experiences where the player doesn't really direct things.

I'm not sure why, but Gond Home really captures me more than the others (other than Edith Finch now, I think). I'm think that game got so much right. I just really liked the story it told. But I also really love the tension of wondering around the house. It feels like a horror game all the way up to the end. Edith Finch has some of that atmosphere too, but not in the same way.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 22:13 (2541 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Life is Strange feels way more like an adventure game to me. The rest are more straightforward experiences where the player doesn't really direct things.

That is one sign of a poor game.

To be fair, he DID use the word "experiences."

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 22:43 (2541 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 19:23 (2541 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I finally got around to playing Gone Home for the first time last week. It was free with PS+ some months ago, but it just never made it to the top of my play list. Perhaps not worth talking about in too much depth, as I'm really late to that party, but I'll just say that I absolutely loved it. I already knew the story the game was telling (waiting years to play something tends to have that effect), but I still found it extremely compelling, and the game does an incredible job of building a sense of tension while you wonder around the house.

It was great. It played like a horror story, in a way. I dreaded the conclusion, and more so as it grew nearer (that closed-off attic always loomed). One of the things that I loved about Gone Home is how much story was told through extrapolation or inference, and how the history of the house's former occupant tied into the current story being told. It's a pretty tragic story, and the ending continues that tragedy with the lack of closure. It was pretty great storytelling throughout.

I also tried Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, but didn't make it too far. I'm not sure what it is about that one, but it just didn't hold my attention. I just didn't care about what was happening, and just wondering around and exploring wasn't compelling. I think it was the lack of interactivity--having played Gone Home made me want to be able to look through cabinets and drawers and find things, but Everyone's Gone to the Rapture has none of that. It's still on my harddrive; maybe I'll get back to it someday.

Yeah, you won't be picking up anything in the game (interaction is limited to fences and radios). Instead, you're following a light around an entire town and the surrounding county, watching a radio drama play out. Yes, watching.
It's a difficult experience to get through (and not just because quantum physics and the nature of life itself come into play), but I stuck with it and beat the whole thing in one sitting, and I... am glad that I did. I can't say that it was enjoyable, or that I would play through it again (though I did finish the first storyline again for Sammy), but it was a completely worthwhile story, and I think making it a game gave it a much more personal impact than just listening to a radio drama would have. It works as a unique experience among walking simulators, because everything has an importance. The way the light moves in each chapter tells you a little bit about the character that is being followed. The paths that you follow show what the characters would see at different points in their story, and ultimately, even the glowing lights that make up the characters are relevant to the plot.

The story is both small in scope (the interactions and relationships between the people of a small town) and bold (the greater mystery of what happened to the people, and why).
It definitely stuck with me for a while...

But boy is the walking back and forth painfully slow (and it was even slower at launch).

So, in the vein of those sorts of games, I played What Remains of Edith Finch last night. It just dropped last week. I really, really enjoyed it. The game has you playing as Edith Finch visiting her old family home, which is a crazy looking monstrosity (I immediately thought of The Burrow from Harry Potter). You must explore the house and find ways into the bedrooms, which have all been sealed, and find the story of the room's former occupant. Edith narrates as she wanders around, and when you find the thing in the bedroom, you play a short vignette (ranging from 3-4 minutes all the way up to 15-20 minutes) that tells the story of that room's occupant.

I was curious about this game, but I think I've had my fill of walking simulators for a while. If it's ever a PS+ game, or at least 50%+ off I'll definitely give it a playthrough.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 21:54 (2541 days ago) @ Korny

It was great. It played like a horror story, in a way. I dreaded the conclusion, and more so as it grew nearer (that closed-off attic always loomed). One of the things that I loved about Gone Home is how much story was told through extrapolation or inference, and how the history of the house's former occupant tied into the current story being told. It's a pretty tragic story, and the ending continues that tragedy with the lack of closure. It was pretty great storytelling throughout.

Completely agree. I really enjoyed it. I legitimately laughed at the postcard, and I teared up a few times throughout. I really was invested in the story in way that doesn't happen very often.

The story is both small in scope (the interactions and relationships between the people of a small town) and bold (the greater mystery of what happened to the people, and why).
It definitely stuck with me for a while...

I'll try to get back to it at some point. I played for maybe two hours. I saw Jeremy's story through to its conclusion, and got part of the way through Wendy's. I like the stories themselves, I just don't like having to stand around and watch the conversations play out.

I was curious about this game, but I think I've had my fill of walking simulators for a while. If it's ever a PS+ game, or at least 50%+ off I'll definitely give it a playthrough.

I can understand that. For what it's worth, I think it's great. I think I like the story Gone Home tells a bit more, but Edith Finch does some really neat things with the gameplay. It's up there with the best of them, but then again, I like most of the "walking simulator" games I've played. That's really my speed for gaming lately--I've reached a point where I just like having cool experiences and care less about challenging, "good" gameplay. Two hour walking simulators really hit that sweet spot for me--they make good breaks from playing things like The Witcher and Dishonored (I'm still debating picking up Prey. I'm trying to wait for a bit, but it looks real good, so I'm not sure how long I'll actually hold out).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread