Des2ny Reveal Anticipation Thread (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:33 (2510 days ago)

So I'm pretty excited about the reveal on Thursday and I'm curious to hear what everyone else is looking/hoping for.

Eye Candy.
Since it is being developed for only current gen consoles, I'm hoping for a visual graphic update. I don't know how games are built, if they are built at max res and knocked down for weaker consoles, or built for the weak and boosted up, or a mixture in between. There are some beautiful games out right now (Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn) and it would be awesome to see the Destiny universe like this. Understanding, Bungie artistic style has always been on the more illustration side of realism but like every console, developers learn how to squeeze every bit out of them for max potential. The leap from Halo 1 to Halo 2 was huge! Halo 3 to Reach was pretty big too.

Customization options.
This has always been my biggest superficial gripe about Destiny. Their definition of "customization" was pretty weak. Abilities and stats attached to armor essentially ruins the concept of customization. My arguments against shaders have been well documented. A simple solution would be an ability boon that you could attach to your armor. Each piece of armor or weapon could have 5 or so slots and you can decide what to put in. There could even be different levels of boons dependent on how they are earned (Rare, Legendary, Exotic)

(off the deep end here)
I know this is a "heh...yeah keep dreaming" wish, but, I've always wanted a game where you can design your own armor. Bungie developed the Forge in Halo, so they have (had) the capability to give us a custom geometry engine. Forza gives us a livery editor. Surely, there is an in-between. Since D2 will be on PC, there will eventually be a mod/user community that starts creating content. There are already multiple 3D design programs that can be used in a browser. Perhaps an app/program where we can design armor and import them into the game.

Upgraded factions.
Make the factions worth something. Outside of weapon/armor gifts.

Exaggerated class abilities.
The three classes aren't that different when you think about it. Titans, for example, for being strong tanks, are pretty damn nimble. I'm a hunter with max agility, and I'm often being out run by titans gliding and shoulder charging all over. Make Titans higher defenses but slower agility. Make hunters weaker defense but faster agility. Make warlocks a middle ground with faster super charge.

Just a couple things

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:55 (2510 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by kidtsunami, Monday, May 15, 2017, 13:03

• Bring back sonic boom ship entrances
  • More roaming, ebb, flow, whatever to the AI in patrol. I feel like I'm running through a canned pop-up shooting range at this point. There's no curiosity in where enemies are what are they up to, frankly they're almost never up to anything, just standing around after emerging from their closet.
  • NPC/Guardian camps in the wild

Bring back dancing

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 17:25 (2509 days ago) @ kidtsunami

... around the enemy.

Right now, there's very little moving around enemies, a lot of Destiny's engagements focus on standing in a spot and shooting enemies like you're in a shooting gallery.

Ways that I think this can be improved

• Critical hit areas on backs of enemies
  • get rid of AOE stomping attacks, replace them with directional attacks/swipes
  • More behaviors like headless minotaurs blind firing
  • Enemies that will grab and throw you (love the Cabal shield smacks)
  • The less sponging the better

Bring back dancing +1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:04 (2509 days ago) @ kidtsunami

... around the enemy.

Right now, there's very little moving around enemies, a lot of Destiny's engagements focus on standing in a spot and shooting enemies like you're in a shooting gallery.

Ways that I think this can be improved

• Critical hit areas on backs of enemies
  • get rid of AOE stomping attacks, replace them with directional attacks/swipes
  • More behaviors like headless minotaurs blind firing
  • Enemies that will grab and throw you (love the Cabal shield smacks)
  • The less sponging the better

I started bolding things that I agree with and excite me, but then I realized I'd have to bold that whole list.

I miss dancing w/ Hunters in Halo 1. Sure, they were a little too predictable, but it was so much fun baiting them, dodging & popping them in the back w/ the hand cannon of death. So much fun.

Des2ny Reveal Anticipation Thread

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 15, 2017, 14:25 (2510 days ago) @ ManKitten

So I'm pretty excited about the reveal on Thursday and I'm curious to hear what everyone else is looking/hoping for.

Eye Candy.
Since it is being developed for only current gen consoles, I'm hoping for a visual graphic update. I don't know how games are built, if they are built at max res and knocked down for weaker consoles, or built for the weak and boosted up, or a mixture in between. There are some beautiful games out right now (Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn) and it would be awesome to see the Destiny universe like this. Understanding, Bungie artistic style has always been on the more illustration side of realism but like every console, developers learn how to squeeze every bit out of them for max potential. The leap from Halo 1 to Halo 2 was huge! Halo 3 to Reach was pretty big too.

I don't yet have a 4K TV (I'm hoping to get one and play Horizon: Zero Dawn before Destiny 2 drops), so maybe I'm not seeing the flaws of current Destiny graphics as clearly (and I'm certainly not seeing everything as well as those of you with younger eyes). We're definitely getting closer to the limit of my ability to see finer details. I just want to say that I'm still gobsmacked by the attention to detail in Destiny 1, old as it is. This isn't strictly visual, but just yesterday I had landed in the Tower and I noticed (again) how you could see the dust blowing around, and the leaves of the ferns waving in the breeze. So cool.

by yakaman, Monday, May 15, 2017, 16:09 (2510 days ago) @ ManKitten

Eye Candy.

I'm looking forward to a graphics boost, especially if you consider that D1 came out in...2014? Is that right? I don't need a graphics boost, and I'm not a graphics snob, but it seems a natural leap based on 1) next gen consoles only, 2) three years of progress, 3) no building world from scratch gives more resources to eye candy and optimization.

Customization options.
This has always been my biggest superficial gripe about Destiny. Their definition of "customization" was pretty weak. Abilities and stats attached to armor essentially ruins the concept of customization. My arguments against shaders have been well documented. A simple solution would be an ability boon that you could attach to your armor. Each piece of armor or weapon could have 5 or so slots and you can decide what to put in. There could even be different levels of boons dependent on how they are earned (Rare, Legendary, Exotic)

This. Very much this. If they've been able to fix their referencing/dependency/modularity issues I'd love to see rapid development and deployment of very cosmetic things. Again, we're not talking about meaningful, gameplay-affecting things...just pretty baubles and similar.

(off the deep end here)
I know this is a "heh...yeah keep dreaming" wish, but, I've always wanted a game where you can design your own armor. Bungie developed the Forge in Halo, so they have (had) the capability to give us a custom geometry engine. Forza gives us a livery editor. Surely, there is an in-between. Since D2 will be on PC, there will eventually be a mod/user community that starts creating content. There are already multiple 3D design programs that can be used in a browser. Perhaps an app/program where we can design armor and import them into the game.

Upgraded factions.
Make the factions worth something. Outside of weapon/armor gifts.

Yes. I'd prefer factions to go deeper, and maybe close off other options/powers/equipment/builds. Would that mean a character committed to Dead Orbit would have no path backwards? Maybe. Good and bad possibilities here, but for me D2 would benefit from a clearer, more defined character identity. For others maybe this is a bad thing?

The three classes aren't that different when you think about it. Titans, for example, for being strong tanks, are pretty damn nimble. I'm a hunter with max agility, and I'm often being out run by titans gliding and shoulder charging all over. Make Titans higher defenses but slower agility. Make hunters weaker defense but faster agility. Make warlocks a middle ground with faster super charge.

Maybe. I think in D1 people loved the (relative) ease with which they could switch characters. I think it D1 made it easy to switch between a titan and warlock, but then did a fairly good job of allowing room to grow and get really good at titan or warlock or whatever. I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I loved the deep differences between classes in Transformers: FOC, but on the other the best thing about Destiny is the mobility. This is my personal opinion, but I'd be drastically less likely to try a class that couldn't really move well. I guess it depends on exactly how they might do it?

Other things I'm looking for:

1.) New enemies
2.) Ship combat?
3.) Improved combat vehicles, OR a move completely away from ground-based combat vehicles
4.) A more challenging class of Public Events (i.e. uber-Publics)

Good thread. Super excited.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 13:38 (2509 days ago) @ yakaman

Yes. I'd prefer factions to go deeper, and maybe close off other options/powers/equipment/builds. Would that mean a character committed to Dead Orbit would have no path backwards? Maybe. Good and bad possibilities here, but for me D2 would benefit from a clearer, more defined character identity. For others maybe this is a bad thing?

It is interesting that you bring this up. While I don't like the idea of set in stone for a game like Destiny (well, and living game really) making things more divided isn't entirely out of the question and would lead to some major choices. For example, the Exotic Faction Class Items are only available to you when pledged to a faction. Now, what if that applied to every piece of Faction Gear? Do you go for the New Monarchy Hand Cannon at he expense of the FWC Rocket Launcher? Maybe your best armor set is half Dead Orbit. What decision makes the most sense for your Faction Pledge this week?

I think greater distinction is also where some things have been headinng, but with more choice. While I like that all armor is basically potentially he same, weapons as your main interface have been getting more specialized. I haven't crunched numbers, but the variance in rolls for weapons seems to have diminished since vanilla, where if you had a class of weapons they all could get the same perks. Now what is available to one scout rifle arcihetype might vary between individual weapons. I want to see more of that, so that weapons do have more individual character.

And honestly, everytime someone suggests equipped sockets for armor I get excited. Would be nice to be able to fully customize armor from a gameplay perspective, so that I don't have to select armor I don't like for efficiency.

by yakaman, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 16:01 (2509 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It is interesting that you bring this up. While I don't like the idea of set in stone for a game like Destiny (well, and living game really) making things more divided isn't entirely out of the question and would lead to some major choices. For example, the Exotic Faction Class Items are only available to you when pledged to a faction. Now, what if that applied to every piece of Faction Gear? Do you go for the New Monarchy Hand Cannon at he expense of the FWC Rocket Launcher? Maybe your best armor set is half Dead Orbit. What decision makes the most sense for your Faction Pledge this week?

I think greater distinction is also where some things have been headinng, but with more choice. While I like that all armor is basically potentially he same, weapons as your main interface have been getting more specialized. I haven't crunched numbers, but the variance in rolls for weapons seems to have diminished since vanilla, where if you had a class of weapons they all could get the same perks. Now what is available to one scout rifle arcihetype might vary between individual weapons. I want to see more of that, so that weapons do have more individual character.

And honestly, everytime someone suggests equipped sockets for armor I get excited. Would be nice to be able to fully customize armor from a gameplay perspective, so that I don't have to select armor I don't like for efficiency.

I'm interested in it to generate more unique gameplay identities. Which may or may not actually be a good thing for Destiny, I acknowledge. But just some random thoughts:

• In PvP, most players played the same to me. I don't recall changing tactics based on what class a player was; I was absolutely tuned in to recognizing supers popping, though..so maybe the same thing?
  • As shotguns or fusion rifles or hand cannons rose and fell, so too would the player base cycle through shotguns, fusion rifles, and hand cannons. The closest thing to a drastic play-style difference was a Titan defender with bubble shield. The players were more the guns they used than anything else.
  • In PvE, generally, one Warlock mostly plays like another, with some minor differences. Faction choices might be a way to differentiate between play styles within the same class.
  • Customization of armor, especially for simple cosmetics, should be low-hanging fruit for Bungie. Or so I hope. I don't know enough to know any better, though.
  • I swapped factions at the drop of a hat for equipment I wanted, based on how it looked, mostly. It doesn't seem like I should have been able to do that.

Most of this proposed deepening of identity can directly opposed to playstyle freedom, which was also one of the most appreciated things about Destiny I think? So people (and Bungie) will have good reasons for not going down this road.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 21:47 (2508 days ago) @ yakaman

I think you can deepen and strengthen identities without forcing players into a hole. I mean, earlier builds implied the last node (if I am remembering correctly) on gear and subclasses "locked" it to the current configuration for an added power boost. But a permanent lock is definitely bad. Especially witth the way the game shipped. Imagine not being able to ever complete a sticky grenade bounty because you locked your class that way? Players already tend to find a groove and stick with it, rewards for a lock that is not permanent but perhaps just costly might be as extreme as the design can handle.

In PvP, most players played the same to me. I don't recall changing tactics based on what class a player was; I was absolutely tuned in to recognizing supers popping, though..so maybe the same thing?

I think that is an interesting contrast. I also never really see it as I am playing against a Titan rather than a Hunter. Where I am paying attention is that I am playing against a Striker, or a Nightstalker. The moment to moment engagements aren't different. You shoot them, or whatever, to make them die. But the broader strategies change depending on the specific kit a player is using.

As shotguns or fusion rifles or hand cannons rose and fell, so too would the player base cycle through shotguns, fusion rifles, and hand cannons. The closest thing to a drastic play-style difference was a Titan defender with bubble shield. The players were more the guns they used than anything else.

Considering the way metagaming works, this makes sense. Though there are always outliers. People who prefer to play outside he meta. In the same context, subclass abilities shift around, too.

In PvE, generally, one Warlock mostly plays like another, with some minor differences. Faction choices might be a way to differentiate between play styles within the same class.

This is something that I make a distinction from your assertion. I think players tend to play subclasses the same way because, honestly, people play games pretty consistently to individual tendencies. If I play an FPS, I play it like any other FPS as similar as the mechanics can make it.

Factions could stand to have more unique weapon sets, but I don't think Factions are the way to differentiate subclasses, as that will pigeonhole in a bad way.

I swapped factions at the drop of a hat for equipment I wanted, based on how it looked, mostly. It doesn't seem like I should have been able to do that.

And this is the main point I was trying to make. Instead of swapping a faction to go buy a Rocket Launcher or a Sidearm, you have to be pledged to that faction in order to use that weapon. Even if you can only change factions once a reset, it can force a level of separation. Maybe DO has an amazing Shotgun one week so you pledge and buy it, but until the next reset that character can't use the FWC Hand Cannon you've been running with for the last month. Just as I can't use my Exotic DO Mark on my Totan right now due to being pledged to NM. Class legendaries and exotics can also be used to push that farther, but I have some pretty substantially feelings about those already that is a whole different bag of cats.

But if you make the gear of DO distinct from FWC in the way Suros weapons are distinct from Omolon, and then tie their use to a faction pledge that can be changed, you get a lot of pathways where you have limitations, but not roadblocks.

by DMHCook, Ohio, Monday, May 15, 2017, 18:35 (2509 days ago) @ ManKitten

Honestly the thing I want to see most is a robust in-game functionality of clans. There is a lot of potential there and there are some things already built into bungie.net that would be so cool to access within the game.

Just a quick example being the "alliances" you can setup between groups on bungie.net. Just being able to scroll through groups rosters that are in your alliance would be killer imo.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 15, 2017, 19:35 (2509 days ago) @ DMHCook
edited by Korny, Monday, May 15, 2017, 19:51

Honestly the thing I want to see most is a robust in-game functionality of clans. There is a lot of potential there and there are some things already built into bungie.net that would be so cool to access within the game.

Just a quick example being the "alliances" you can setup between groups on bungie.net. Just being able to scroll through groups rosters that are in your alliance would be killer imo.

What if clans were grouped into different types based on size (say, member thresholds of 5, 15, 30, 100, 500) and you could compete with other similarly-sized clans in events for early access to unique rewards (event-exclusive emblems, weapon/armor skins, or specific exotic/Legendary loot (similar to Queen's Wrath loot) to be distributed to all participating members of the clan), and prestige on tiered leaderboards?

And what if your clans could enter into alliances with other clans to compete against other alliances in a similar fashion during major events or special contests, and you could coordinate events and such through alliance-only chat groups?

What if your clan leaders could set exclusive competitions for the clan, where members of the clan could donate to a reward pool and compete amongst themselves (similar to the custom Challenges in Reach) in special clan-based PvE or PvP matches?

And best of all, what if your clan could have a procedurally-generated mini-questline similar to Shadow of Mordor's "Nemesis System", where members would have to look for clues in different story missions (finding special enemies and such, similar to Urzok, who show up to kill members of your clan) in order to hunt down special bosses (Barons, Prime Servitors, Centurions, etc...) that have some unique attacks (such as Orbiks Prime's teleporting move). Once all participating clan members defeat this special boss, the entire clan gets an exotic engram, or 50 Motes, or something neat, and clan leaders can highlight the members of the clan who contributed the most for some special reward tiers...

Yeah... Sure would be great to see a clan system as robust as that...

by DMHCook, Ohio, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 01:03 (2509 days ago) @ Korny

What if clans were grouped into different types based on size (say, member thresholds of 5, 15, 30, 100, 500) and you could compete with other similarly-sized clans in events for early access to unique rewards (event-exclusive emblems, weapon/armor skins, or specific exotic/Legendary loot (similar to Queen's Wrath loot) to be distributed to all participating members of the clan), and prestige on tiered leaderboards?

I could definitely see something like this happening. Maybe rather than grouping based on clan size, events change based on how many clanmates "sign up" per week (or whatever the reset timeframe is)

And what if your clans could enter into alliances with other clans to compete against other alliances in a similar fashion during major events or special contests, and you could coordinate events and such through alliance-only chat groups?

Yeah, this kind of stuff is what I'd love to see. More functionality that allows the community the creative freedom to make more out of the game.

What if your clan leaders could set exclusive competitions for the clan, where members of the clan could donate to a reward pool and compete amongst themselves (similar to the custom Challenges in Reach) in special clan-based PvE or PvP matches?

This, to me, seems more along the lines of something that can already be done? My clan does giveaways and competitions with prizes currently which I think is awesome, but I'm not 100% sure I can imagine something in-game being too big of a benefit? Unless I'm misinterpreting the idea here.

And best of all, what if your clan could have a procedurally-generated mini-questline similar to Shadow of Mordor's "Nemesis System", where members would have to look for clues in different story missions (finding special enemies and such, similar to Urzok, who show up to kill members of your clan) in order to hunt down special bosses (Barons, Prime Servitors, Centurions, etc...) that have some unique attacks (such as Orbiks Prime's teleporting move). Once all participating clan members defeat this special boss, the entire clan gets an exotic engram, or 50 Motes, or something neat, and clan leaders can highlight the members of the clan who contributed the most for some special reward tiers...

Yeah... Sure would be great to see a clan system as robust as that...

This seems like a cool idea, but also a bit of a stretch haha.

Honestly, here are a few things I'd be overjoyed to see:

• An in-game alliance roster to go along with the clan roster
  • A clan title system in-game (similar to the old title system integrated into bungie.net groups, allows for sooooooooo many creative uses (Contests, MotM, etc.))
  • Clan LFG integration
  • A clan-specific social space would be amazing also.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, May 15, 2017, 19:33 (2509 days ago) @ ManKitten

It's not going to happen, but I'd really prefer to see all the subclasses combined. Instead of having me choose a Titan, Warlock, or Hunter and having to have three characters to experience all of the different classes just let me switch between all of them on a single character. No more transferring gear between characters, just store it all in once place. If Bungie really wants the gear to reflect the class the player is using, then force the player to use different gear for each subclass.

Just looking forward to the beta, really.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, May 15, 2017, 20:39 (2509 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

I'm curious about...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 17:13 (2509 days ago) @ ManKitten

...the promo images Bungie has been posting of the hunter, titan and warlock.

[image]

I keep coming back to they aren't wearing helmets. How come they aren't wearing helmets? 3 guardians in full armor, in apparent battle...but no helmets. Are they showing off cultural/gender diversity? Will we get a proper custom character builder? Are they attempting a personal connection with characters? Supwidat?

And I ask again...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 17:48 (2509 days ago) @ ManKitten

what's with the human hegemony?

And I ask again...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:52 (2508 days ago) @ Kermit

What's with the lack of beards?

And I ask again...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 19:20 (2508 days ago) @ bluerunner

We will get beards once the game finally becomes good

And I ask again...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 19, 2017, 13:59 (2506 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I wasn't aware of this phrase. That's great! "Jumping the shark" needed a positive version.

And I ask again...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 19, 2017, 14:04 (2506 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We will get beards once the game finally becomes good

Looks like it will be good.
https://youtu.be/vVC0iN_mUW0?t=3h24m

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread