by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, May 22, 2017, 22:22 (2527 days ago)

UI Topic - The Super Screen

[image]

Context: https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/866651641331580929

The paths in each subclass can't be mixed and matched. They are designed to work as a group of 4 together. e.g. This path or that path. https://t.co/vLzE1a0FcF — Mark Noseworthy (@knowsworthy) May 22, 2017

My thoughts: While I understand the streamlining nature that these "paths" may have for the Bungie designers of play (or whatever the proper title may be), I would have really liked to have mixed and matched to my style of play.

With that said, in thinking about it, it's no different to what was done for Destiny 1. So what changed? Why does this feel so bewildering to me. My current answer is the new UI Language for the Super Screen. I've been trained by the Destiny 1 UI that in the super screen, I get to select some traits from one line, and some traits from another line. I feel the same here, but instead of lines - it's boxes. What I want to do with the UI as posted in the above image is select 2 "perks" from the top box and two "perks" from the bottom box. I find myself flustered, as what I'm expecting is not what it really is. This is further reinforced by the other existing parts of the Destiny 2 Super UI. The top, left, and bottom portions follow this very concept mentioned, much like it was in Destiny 1.

Suggestion: Make Traits collapsible. If I don't see the other boxs, it will be less of a bother.

[image]

Play with the centering and motion, and... well I think this would help alot!

My 2¢ :)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:47 (2526 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This actually is a very logical expression of the breakdown. I assume the structure is meant for one part balancing and one part expanding (as it would be much easier to produce, test, and balance a new set of 4 perks than whole new subclasses if you want to expand capabilities) but the UI definitely doesn't really identify them as mutually exclusive. alternately, making them visually distinct from the other nodes, such as having the icons in those sections not otherwise bordered like the grenade, jump, and Class Abilities. To communicate that you are only actually selecting one node, and not a mix and match.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 11:14 (2526 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This is actually closer to their original design for skill trees (see Thunderlord reveal). I like it better than the grid. The shape of the interface is more distinctive, which actually makes it easier to remember where things are.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread