"We want to unhide the fun of destiny..." (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 16:38 (2529 days ago)

This is for CruelLegacey, and I decided to post it as a separate topic instead of a reply way down the other recent threads because I think this article is pretty awesome and worthy of its own discussion.

From a a recent interview with Luke Smith on Glixel:

In terms of characters, from the first trailer it appears that Cayde is much more important. The vibe is much lighter than the last game. Is that a purposeful tonal shift?
That trailer is a great look at Cayde, but of course it's a trailer – so you've kind of got him turned up to 11 or 12. We want the new game to be something that has a bunch of different character types. Everyone is not gonna be making jokes the whole time. That's certainly not appropriate. We hope the game and its characters are fun to listen to – that's definitely a goal, but we want to have characters who are occupying their own separate spaces. You know, we have a character like Cayde who's a funny, charming rogue, but then Ikora is very serious and cerebral, and Zavala is very action oriented and, again, very serious. So, we start with those three, then we ask, "well, what are the holes that we have in the character tapestry?" There are many. So in Destiny 2 we're coming up with a bunch of new characters to fill them.

"Venus Baby!"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 17:11 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513

"Story and narrative are a big part of what makes you decide that you want to enter a place. It's not just about, you know, if you think the jokes from the trailer were funny."

Weird, the Zeppelin tunes and wisecracking Fireteam were pretty much the entirety of D1's commercial marketing (from what I can remember) up until Rise of Iron. Sure, they had some prerendered trailers for each expansion, but that wasn't the big Marketing push as much as "look at all the social fun you can have!

Of course, I loved those commercials, but it seems very different from the D2 approach, which so far has been pre-rendered character-focused comedic bits that hint at narrative/story.

"Venus Baby!"

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 17:55 (2529 days ago) @ Korny

"Story and narrative are a big part of what makes you decide that you want to enter a place. It's not just about, you know, if you think the jokes from the trailer were funny."

Weird, the Zeppelin tunes and wisecracking Fireteam were pretty much the entirety of D1's commercial marketing (from what I can remember) up until Rise of Iron. Sure, they had some prerendered trailers for each expansion, but that wasn't the big Marketing push as much as "look at all the social fun you can have!

You might be forgetting my favorite D1 ad.

To echo Cruel's point, I don't want Cayde to be all jokes all the time either, but I didn't see his recent appearances as out of character. His humor might be amped up because his stress level is. That's how it works sometimes.

"Venus Baby!"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:00 (2529 days ago) @ Kermit

You might be forgetting my favorite D1 ad.

To echo Cruel's point, I don't want Cayde to be all jokes all the time either, but I didn't see his recent appearances as out of character. His humor might be amped up because his stress level is. That's how it works sometimes.

This is perhaps not so coincidentally the last Destiny ad to be all "Bungie". Everything after has Activision's hands in it somehow.

"We want to unhide the fun of destiny..."

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 17:23 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This is for CruelLegacey, and I decided to post it as a separate topic instead of a reply way down the other recent threads because I think this article is pretty awesome and worthy of its own discussion.

In terms of characters, from the first trailer it appears that Cayde is much more important. The vibe is much lighter than the last game. Is that a purposeful tonal shift?
That trailer is a great look at Cayde, but of course it's a trailer – so you've kind of got him turned up to 11 or 12. We want the new game to be something that has a bunch of different character types. Everyone is not gonna be making jokes the whole time. That's certainly not appropriate. We hope the game and its characters are fun to listen to – that's definitely a goal, but we want to have characters who are occupying their own separate spaces. You know, we have a character like Cayde who's a funny, charming rogue, but then Ikora is very serious and cerebral, and Zavala is very action oriented and, again, very serious. So, we start with those three, then we ask, "well, what are the holes that we have in the character tapestry?" There are many. So in Destiny 2 we're coming up with a bunch of new characters to fill them.

Thanks for posting this!

Let me say up front that my reaction to this is purely theoretical, and I of course will do my best to keep an open mind when I actually play the game. That said...

The paragraph you quoted does not inspire confidence in me with regards to the writing or characters in D2. It makes it sound as if the characters will all be 1-note, 1 dimensional "tones", and that they hope to fill out the range of tones by having different characters for each of them. This is why I hate Cayde in all of D2's marketing so far: he's always "mr sarcastic joke guy", no matter what's going on around him.
The thing is, if you really track all of Cayde's dialogue throughout D1, he doesn't joke that often. It's noticeable when he does because he and ghost are the only 2 characters that ever show humour at all, but he really is serious most of the time.

Good writing usually involves rounding out every single character so that they each portray a full range of emotions. Some should obviously lean more heavily in 1 direction than others; that's natural. Some people in real life are more serious, or joke more often, or are quicker to anger. But what Bungie has said and shown so far is "when we want a moment of humour, Cayde will appear. When we want things to be super serious, you'll hear from Zavala". So even if Cayde only appears now and then, it is still eye-roll-enducing if all he ever does is crack lame jokes.

But again, it could totally be the case that Destiny 2's writing is nothing like what I fear it is. Most of what I'm basing this off is marketing, which may not be an accurate representation of the game.

That stuff aside, it's a very cool article.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 17:29 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Thanks for posting this!

Let me say up front that my reaction to this is purely theoretical, and I of course will do my best to keep an open mind when I actually play the game. That said...

The paragraph you quoted does not inspire confidence in me with regards to the writing or characters in D2. It makes it sound as if the characters will all be 1-note, 1 dimensional "tones", and that they hope to fill out the range of tones by having different characters for each of them. This is why I hate Cayde in all of D2's marketing so far: he's always "mr sarcastic joke guy", no matter what's going on around him.
The thing is, if you really track all of Cayde's dialogue throughout D1, he doesn't joke that often. It's noticeable when he does because he and ghost are the only 2 characters that ever show humour at all, but he really is serious most of the time.

Good writing usually involves rounding out every single character so that they each portray a full range of emotions. Some should obviously lean more heavily in 1 direction than others; that's natural. Some people in real life are more serious, or joke more often, or are quicker to anger. But what Bungie has said and shown so far is "when we want a moment of humour, Cayde will appear. When we want things to be super serious, you'll hear from Zavala". So even if Cayde only appears now and then, it is still eye-roll-enducing if all he ever does is crack lame jokes.

But again, it could totally be the case that Destiny 2's writing is nothing like what I fear it is. Most of what I'm basing this off is marketing, which may not be an accurate representation of the game.

You're just beyond saving at this point :-P

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 17:57 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Thanks for posting this!

I know... if only I liked bad dialogue ;p

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:00 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Hey now...

Saying that Cayde isn't really tickling your fancy is one thing; but to say it's "bad" dialogue just means you're objectively wrong and should feel bad!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:24 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:29

Hey now...

Saying that Cayde isn't really tickling your fancy is one thing; but to say it's "bad" dialogue just means you're objectively wrong and should feel bad!

Lol... Hey I'm perfectly fine with bad dialogue. I love Star Wars! If I say I think the dialogue in Destiny is bad, I don't mean it as some harsh, crushing blow against he game. I just believe in calling a spade "a spade", you know? :)

I do feel like Bungie's marketing can come across as lacking in self-awareness. And they get called out on it by lots of people, not just me. On the latest episode of Waypoint Radio, Austin made a great point about how rediculous sone of Bungie's talking points sound to anyone not under a fanboy-level spell. "So... you're trying to get us excited about the fact that Destiny 2 has side quests now? Almost every game has side quests, and they usually suck".

I'm perfectly fine with a cheesy sci-fi world with cliche characters and a dumb plot. But when that gets sold to me as a grand epic with characters that I'll really care about and a story that will really pull me in, that's when I need to raise my hand and say "uh... guys?". And who knows how Destiny 2 will turn out when it comes to that stuff. I'm sure I'll have a blast with it either way. I'm just saying how I feel about what's been shown so far :)

In all seriousness, those are all fair points.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:25 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

To be fair

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:33 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I do feel like Bungie's marketing can come across as lacking in self-awareness. And they get called out on it by lots of people, not just me. On the latest episode of Waypoint Radio, Austin made a great point about how rediculous sone of Bungie's talking points sound to anyone not under a fanboy-level spell. "So... you're trying to get us excited about the fact that Destiny 2 has side quests now? Almost every game has side quests, and they usually suck".

The ridiculous tone makes most of the livestream unwatchable for me. This goes for most of the time someone is on a stage hyping their game.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:06 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm perfectly fine with a cheesy sci-fi world with cliche characters and a dumb plot. But when that gets sold to me as a grand epic with characters that I'll really care about and a story that will really pull me in, that's when I need to raise my hand and say "uh... guys?".

Coming at it from a marketing angle.

What are they supposed to do? "Hey guys...get ready to play the O.K.est game of the year. It's got a mediocre story and characters that will make you say 'meh' at best!" They are trying to sell copious amounts of a product, so they are obviously going to talk it up.

On the flip side, when watching some of their vidoc style videos (kind of like the ones they showed during the reveal) a lot of the interviews just seemed sterile. Following the idea of "If you aren't excited about your product, why should I be?" When the people talking about it are passionate about what they're doing, it comes across. I get way more excited about something when they are saying "Here is why I love it" as opposed to "Here is why you will love it". Don't tell me what to think, I'll make that conclusion myself. And if I don't love it...you failed me. But if you are excited about it and tell me why, then I look forward to experiencing what you have.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:10 (2529 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:16

I'm perfectly fine with a cheesy sci-fi world with cliche characters and a dumb plot. But when that gets sold to me as a grand epic with characters that I'll really care about and a story that will really pull me in, that's when I need to raise my hand and say "uh... guys?".

What are they supposed to do? "Hey guys...get ready to play the O.K.est game of the year. It's got a mediocre story and characters that will make you say 'meh' at best!" They are trying to sell copious amounts of a product, so they are obviously going to talk it up.

Or they could do what they did with Halo 2 and pretty much let the game speak for itself. If you remember, Johnson cut off Joe Staten when he was going on and on about the game and instead showed us the 'real time feed'.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:21 (2529 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by ManKitten, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:38

Or they could do what they did with Halo 2 and pretty much let the game speak for itself.

::LATE EDIT - I'm not sure if your comment is positive or negative towards H2...considering it was riddled with glitches and gave us the most disappointing ending in history. Now back to the original comment below.

Time between Halo 1 and Halo 2 are totally different atmospheres than what we are in now. They didn't NEED to say anything for Halo 2. Halo 1 was a juggernaut and the new golden standard for console FPS games, action games, and story telling in games. (correct me if I'm wrong, but) Didn't Halo 2 release sales break all the records? Including global movie release numbers?

Destiny was to be the next blockbuster from Bungie, their re-introduction to the world after leaving Microsoft. The hype machine was burning coal faster than a mine could produce it...and it fell on its face (reception wise, not sales). They've been trying to get the train on the tracks ever since.* So going into Destiny 2, they've got a battle on their hands to under promise and over deliver while getting people excited about but not too excited to burn the people that are giving them "one more chance."

The die-hards (which you probably are, if you're reading this) are going to buy, play and love the game regardless. They've got to win back the "game du jour" players.

*[addendum edit - I've never actually felt this way personally, it just seems to be the general consensus across fan base and media.]

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 20:39 (2529 days ago) @ ManKitten

Does anyone have a clip just of the guy getting really excited about Dawnblade?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 11:14 (2528 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Does anyone have a clip just of the guy getting really excited about Dawnblade?

That's his shtick

Best Destiny montage yet!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 11:38 (2528 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Still hasn't quite reached this level, though

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 12:07 (2528 days ago) @ Kermit

Going OT now, but...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 12:26 (2528 days ago) @ stabbim

I forgot all about that skull collection game. That was a blast!

How come Destiny can't do that stuff? (pouty face)

Going OT now, but...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 12:45 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

I don't see Supremacy as being dramatically different.

Going OT now, but...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:17 (2528 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Going OT now, but...

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:49 (2528 days ago) @ Kermit

I miss Headhunter, not for it's actual mechanics (although they were great), but for its tone. In many ways, Destiny still feels like a step back from Halo. For all their talk of playing how we want, they don't actually give us many options. Halo gave us so many ways to play that Destiny just refuses. Where are all the neat, crazy, ridiculous multiplayer modes? Where's Forge or Theater (something I honestly think we'll never see in Destiny, sadly). I get that Destiny isn't Halo, and I've made my peace with it. But it still feels like a set backwards in terms of options. Destiny is very much a game that you play the way Bungie wants you to or you get out, whereas Halo just let you go, and that sucks. ):

Going OT now, but...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 14:50 (2527 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I miss Headhunter, not for it's actual mechanics (although they were great), but for its tone. In many ways, Destiny still feels like a step back from Halo. For all their talk of playing how we want, they don't actually give us many options. Halo gave us so many ways to play that Destiny just refuses. Where are all the neat, crazy, ridiculous multiplayer modes? Where's Forge or Theater (something I honestly think we'll never see in Destiny, sadly). I get that Destiny isn't Halo, and I've made my peace with it. But it still feels like a set backwards in terms of options. Destiny is very much a game that you play the way Bungie wants you to or you get out, whereas Halo just let you go, and that sucks. ):

I'm totally with you on some of those features (I share your worry that we'll never see films, but if we do, oh boy!). I heard directly from Bungie guys on launch day that D1 was like the first Halo, which didn't come with all that many options compared to its final iteration. Much also depends on what you call options. At this point it's apples and oranges to me. I'd love for Destiny to have an immersive story like the Halos. On the other hand, I don't know how Halo could've provided the experiences I've had in Destiny, not just in the group activities but also in the game world opening up the way it did, especially with TTK. Most aspects of a Halo game, except for the most esoteric, would have been uncovered within six months of release. My biggest hope for D2 is that Bungie gets closer to that living, evolving world they've been talking about from the start.

Going OT now, but...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 17:52 (2527 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm totally with you on some of those features (I share your worry that we'll never see films, but if we do, oh boy!). I heard directly from Bungie guys on launch day that D1 was like the first Halo, which didn't come with all that many options compared to its final iteration. Much also depends on what you call options. At this point it's apples and oranges to me. I'd love for Destiny to have an immersive story like the Halos. On the other hand, I don't know how Halo could've provided the experiences I've had in Destiny, not just in the group activities but also in the game world opening up the way it did, especially with TTK. Most aspects of a Halo game, except for the most esoteric, would have been uncovered within six months of release. My biggest hope for D2 is that Bungie gets closer to that living, evolving world they've been talking about from the start.

I'm with you for the most part. I hope it makes steps in that direction, but I don't think we'll see a Halo style campaign in Destiny. The game just doesn't seem to be built that way. I'm mostly okay with it--Destiny outpaces Halo in many other areas.

I'm talking mainly PvP, though. I really long for Halo style custom games, with all sorts of crazy options. I'm thinking of Zombies and Warthog jousting and FAE and all the other dumb custom game stuff. I think Destiny PvP is alright on its own terms. It's just not something I want to play that often. But if it had more custom game options that could allow Halo 2 style shenanigans, I'd play it much more. If that's not what Bungie wants, I guess that's fine. I'm just not sure what they're gaining by not providing those sorts of options, and, as I said, it feels like a huge step back from a game that's nearly 15 years old now. Apples and oranges, you're right, but it still feels like an obvious comparison that doesn't land on Destiny's side.

Going OT now, but...

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 20:40 (2527 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's mostly resource allocation. inclusion of things like Private Matches are steps in the right direction for that. And I would not be surprised either way if they decide to impliment Customs or not. But I do imagine that if it isn't at launch, at some point it will be rolled oit in a more fleshed out fashion. And I don't know how much of an investment that is from an engineering side for them. How much effort it would take to get something like Halo's Customs is probably writing all brand new code to get it running.

And his genuine excitement is infectious

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 11:40 (2528 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Probably to Cruel's point, the super FX are awesome.

Dave Samuel is awesome in his descriptions of the supers.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:35 (2528 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:24 (2529 days ago) @ ManKitten

On the flip side, when watching some of their vidoc style videos (kind of like the ones they showed during the reveal) a lot of the interviews just seemed sterile. Following the idea of "If you aren't excited about your product, why should I be?" When the people talking about it are passionate about what they're doing, it comes across. I get way more excited about something when they are saying "Here is why I love it" as opposed to "Here is why you will love it". Don't tell me what to think, I'll make that conclusion myself. And if I don't love it...you failed me. But if you are excited about it and tell me why, then I look forward to experiencing what you have.

That's always a tricky question in terms of marketing. I'm a big fan of the "if you've got it, flaunt it" approach. Destiny has some of the best art and visual design in the industry. The various planets and locations are spectacular. And you get to fly all over the galaxy to all these amazing places and have a blast shooting aliens with your friends. That's why I'm such a defender of the "Venus Baby" live action trailer for D1. It didn't match the tone of the story at all, but it was surprisingly true to the actual experience of playing the game. If the story is inconsequential to the point that it doesn't even matter (as was the case in D1), then I appreciate marketing that doesn't try to sell the story as part of the appeal of the game.

Now I personally don't begrudge Bungie for talking briefly about nitty gritty details at this event. They were talking to the hardcore players, and things like sidequests and maps are the kind of changes we like to hear about. But they paint themselves into a bit of a corner by wanting to show us how excited they are about these features, without wanting to show us real examples so we can judge the quality of said feature.
Saying "we have side quests now!" is not going to get me excited... it's actually amazing that D1 DIDN'T have side quests. If the side quests enrich the experience in fun and interesting ways, then I'll love them. But that's one of those things that you really can't know until you're playing the whole game, so I don't find it particularly valuable info from a marketing point of view.

Watching the D2 reveal, the parts that I think DID work were the moments where they let the game speak for itself. Watching that first mission was fantastic. I can't wait to play it. I also really loved the "Guided Games" discussion, because that came across as an inventive solution to one of the more difficult challenges facing the end-game.

Agreed

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 23:08 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 17:59 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The odds so far are in favor of his interpretation.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:17 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah, that was my same feeling towards this line:

"You know, we have a character like Cayde who's a funny, charming rogue, but then Ikora is very serious and cerebral, and Zavala is very action oriented and, again, very serious. So, we start with those three, then we ask, "well, what are the holes that we have in the character tapestry?"

That sounds like they're wanting to add more archetypes rather than fleshing out the characters, while flanderizing the existing ones to help differentiate them from the new characters.

I definitely noticed the change between Cayde's all-business dialogue in the Dust Palace strike, to his awkward shoehorning in the Will of Oryx redux strike.
I love me some Nathan Fillion, but it seems like studios are all trying to capitalize on his snark rather than on his distinct voice and mannerisms.

Good writing usually involves rounding out every single character so that they each portray a full range of emotions. Some should obviously lean more heavily in 1 direction than others; that's natural. Some people in real life are more serious, or joke more often, or are quicker to anger. But what Bungie has said and shown so far is "when we want a moment of humour, Cayde will appear. When we want things to be super serious, you'll hear from Zavala". So even if Cayde only appears now and then, it is still eye-roll-inducing if all he ever does is crack lame jokes.

An excellent example of an aversion to this one-dimensional approach is found in Warfr Borderlands, with Patricia Tannis. She's an insane character who spouts out non-sequitors and ramblings, and has a history of reacting... poorly... when talking to people. She could have just been written off as "the crazy NPC questgiver who says random things", but she is never defined by this one trait. She is a tragic character who knows she is insane, and who feels loneliness and knows that her behavior has left her with very few friends. In the first Borderlands, a (fantastically-written) sidequest follows her descent into insanity, so you get to know two versions of her well before you ever meet her in person.
During an optional side-mission in an optional region of the map in Borderlands 2, she tells you the history of the Dahl Corp. on Pandora (which is the company that she worked for that abandoned her and many of the people on the planet). This quest helps further explain how she is still very intelligent, and capable of rationalizing the world around her. There's more development, but the point is that they avoid one-note characters very well, and Bungie used to, but has begun moving away from that in favor of making the characters more exaggerated versions of themselves.

Like I said, Just look at how the characters change (or get zero development) over the course of D1. I can't say that I'd prefer Joe Staten's boring characters to the one-note cartoon characters that we're slowly moving towards, but I'm hoping for more. At least a good balance between characters with depth, and those with cheesy dialogue.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 12:13 (2528 days ago) @ Korny

but the point is that they avoid one-note characters very well

Except for Face McShooty.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 15:36 (2527 days ago) @ stabbim

but the point is that they avoid one-note characters very well

Except for Face McShooty.

Hey, even Face McShooty acknowledged that there were moral quandaries inherent in his lifestyle choice... :P

"Stupid Sexy Flanders"

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 03:47 (2528 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Cayde brings the levity we need in stressful situations.

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:39 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Real life is full of stress and bad events. Some people bring the comic relief we appreciate during trying times.

I've had more than a few close calls in life and I can tell you, laughing it off and wise cracking with friends really helps.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 18:49 (2529 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Real life is full of stress and bad events. Some people bring the comic relief we appreciate during trying times.

I've had more than a few close calls in life and I can tell you, laughing it off and wise cracking with friends really helps.

With friendS - plural. ;)

That's precisely what I'm saying: show us guardians sharing moments of humour TOGETHER. Not just "we need a joke, so how are we going to write Cayde into this scene because he's the funny one".

I'd also argue that "funny" Cayde isn't actually funny. He's annoying and his jokes are lame. But that is a) a personal reaction and b) also totally ok, as long as the other characters react to him. Nobody in Destiny reacts to Cayde's humour except for Ikora, who seems about as annoyed by it as I am :)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 20:54 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I would actually disagree with your last point there. I think she enjoys it. And enjoys picking at Cayde. There is a playfulness to their interactions that Cayde and Zavala don't get. Vicarious levity.

Also, in the interest of using characters in more than 1 dimension, just watch the intro cinematic but notice he details of character actions over dialogue. Cayde has a light seriousness at the start. Not overt joking if you ask me. But you would be hard pressed to convince me that Terminator walk after activating his super was somehow tonally the same as complaining about destroyed loot.

In the same manner Ikora is almost always cool and collected when you talk to her, what emotion is she showing when investigating the Speaker?

I think it is too early and a little silly to judge character depth with the context we currently have.

But what do I know, I think Noble Team was was full of interesting and relatable characters.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:01 (2529 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I would actually disagree with your last point there. I think she enjoys it. And enjoys picking at Cayde. There is a playfulness to their interactions that Cayde and Zavala don't get. Vicarious levity.

Also, in the interest of using characters in more than 1 dimension, just watch the intro cinematic but notice he details of character actions over dialogue. Cayde has a light seriousness at the start. Not overt joking if you ask me. But you would be hard pressed to convince me that Terminator walk after activating his super was somehow tonally the same as complaining about destroyed loot.

In the same manner Ikora is almost always cool and collected when you talk to her, what emotion is she showing when investigating the Speaker?

I think it is too early and a little silly to judge character depth with the context we currently have.

But what do I know, I think Noble Team was was full of interesting and relatable characters.

Indeed.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:25 (2529 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Indeed.

All good points.

ps

I liked Noble team, too :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 19:20 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513

So, we start with those three, then we ask, "well, what are the holes that we have in the character tapestry?" There are many. So in Destiny 2 we're coming up with a bunch of new characters to fill them.

Sexy time in Des2ny confirmed.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:35 (2529 days ago) @ Speedracer513

"both from the perspective of the Vanguard with characters like Cayde, Zavala, and we have a cast of additional characters who are all out in the world"

I hope that means what it sounds like it means.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:49 (2529 days ago) @ stabbim

"both from the perspective of the Vanguard with characters like Cayde, Zavala, and we have a cast of additional characters who are all out in the world"

Yes, it does, there are now characters in patrols and such.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 11:21 (2528 days ago) @ stabbim

From the way they described it, I'm thinking each time we go to a new planet that the initial set of objectives on the will be to track down a member of the vanguard out in the world (Ikora, Zavala, Cayde, and the Speaker).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread