Podcast: Starside Lounge, Episode 11 (D2 Reveal) (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 22:34 (2529 days ago)

Just a heads-up that we recorded a new Starside Lounge after Claude and Duncan had the opportunity to attend the Destiny 2 Gameplay Reveal event last week! I wasn’t able to attend, so it’s obviously the worst episode we’ve done, but you might still enjoy it. ;-) Should be up on podcast apps soon!

Super-weak for lack of Beorn, but we struggled through

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 23:14 (2529 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Fair and Balanced

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 23:51 (2529 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You could always have on Korny to take a contrarian position and give it some life!

Podcast: Starside Lounge, Episode 11 (D2 Reveal)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 23:30 (2529 days ago) @ Beorn

Thanks for this. I really appreciate hearing all your thoughts. Also, the end. Well done.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:16 (2528 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Also, the end. Well done.

biggy is a very, very mean person.

Don't use Callnote!

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 00:33 (2529 days ago) @ Beorn

Sound quality is terrible. I was too lazy to setup multi-channel Soundflower/Logic, so I just used a free trial of Callnote. Surprise, it sucks!

I'm going to set up a DBO Mumble room and configure Soundflower/Garageband so we can get something semi-professional sounding, in case we are Beornless again.

Don't use Callnote!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 00:45 (2529 days ago) @ biggy

Sound quality is terrible. I was too lazy to setup multi-channel Soundflower/Logic, so I just used a free trial of Callnote. Surprise, it sucks!

I'm going to set up a DBO Mumble room and configure Soundflower/Garageband so we can get something semi-professional sounding, in case we are Beornless again.

I've got a Mumble server you can use if you want.

Since SoundFlower isn't really supported anymore, I'd suggest LoopBack. Pricy, but worth it.

Don't use Callnote!

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 00:54 (2529 days ago) @ narcogen

Thanks! I'm going to look into the options. We might want something with mobile support and I haven't had a great experience with mumble apps. I'm testing out Discord since they are now using the same audio codec as mumble.

Don't use Callnote!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 01:05 (2529 days ago) @ biggy

Thanks! I'm going to look into the options. We might want something with mobile support and I haven't had a great experience with mumble apps. I'm testing out Discord since they are now using the same audio codec as mumble.

Mumble clients do per-participant local and remote recording, which last I checked, Discord did not, which I find to be a godsend. If you're doing anything in post instead of just considering the whole thing a live-to-tape affair, I think this makes Mumble worthy of serious consideration.

There are also multiple iOS and Android mumble clients, although it is true that sometimes they are a bit wonkier than the desktop ones.

Don't use Callnote!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:15 (2528 days ago) @ narcogen

Since SoundFlower isn't really supported anymore, I'd suggest LoopBack. Pricy, but worth it.

Soundflower works fine in Sierra if you get the newer signed version. Pair it with Audacity. Both are free, and it's really easy.

Don't use Callnote!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:36 (2528 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Soundflower works fine in Sierra if you get the newer signed version. Pair it with Audacity. Both are free, and it's really easy.

Are you actually using that?

I'm still on El Cap and stopped using Soundflower awhile ago, but I see loads of reports of people who have trouble with that version of SoundFlower on Sierra.

That version is the only one you can install, because it's signed, but I thought I read that a recent update to Sierra had borked it. It hasn't been updated in at least a year.

That said, when it worked for me, it was mostly fine, and if your threshold for software is zero dollars, then it is worth trying to get it to work.

For me the combination of LoopBack and SoundSource has been both really reliable and easier to use than SoundFlower.

Don't use Callnote!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:11 (2528 days ago) @ narcogen

Are you actually using that?

I'm still on El Cap and stopped using Soundflower awhile ago, but I see loads of reports of people who have trouble with that version of SoundFlower on Sierra.

That version is the only one you can install, because it's signed, but I thought I read that a recent update to Sierra had borked it. It hasn't been updated in at least a year.

That said, when it worked for me, it was mostly fine, and if your threshold for software is zero dollars, then it is worth trying to get it to work.

For me the combination of LoopBack and SoundSource has been both really reliable and easier to use than SoundFlower.

I am using it. After the initial setup, I haven't had to touch anything and have used it to record over two dozen skype conversations with both voices using audacity.

It works fine in Sierra 10.12.5

Garageband is easy to use and decent sounding

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 03:15 (2529 days ago) @ biggy

It's not great as far as user experience is concerned, but it does sound good. I use a Blue Yeti mic ($100, USB connector built in), in case anyone wondered.

+1

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:13 (2528 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:10 (2528 days ago) @ Beorn

Good listen, thanks guys!

Based on the clan banner discussion, here is a proposal for you. I was very happy at the end to hear Claude mention that the Bungie people were all really excited about.

[image]

Hell. Yes.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:28 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

That's Awesome!

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:29 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Yes.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 13:37 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 14:04 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

Based on the clan banner discussion, here is a proposal for you. I was very happy at the end to hear Claude mention that the Bungie people were all really excited about.

[image]

I'd approve of any banner that included the D, but this is hilarious.

I think you've done a great job with the text, too. I might tweak it slightly so it doesn't sound like we exist solely to be sherpas. I realize we need to keep it simple, though.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 14:09 (2528 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

I'd approve of any banner that included the D, but this is hilarious.

I think you've done a great job with the text, too. I might tweak it slightly so it doesn't sound like we exist solely to be sherpas. I realize we need to keep it simple, though.

Heh, I just did a google search to find the screen image. It's the text from the "Every Rose Has Hawthorne" from the reveal. I didn't have time to come up with new text and photoshop it in :P

Source Image

Gotcha!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 14:37 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Text suggestions:

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 17:00 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

Destiny.Bungie.Org

-

Destiny awaits.
We are NOT Bungie, Inc.! Bungie, Inc. are bungie.net!

Destiny.bungie.org (or just DBO for the more verbally-efficient - or 'Deebo' if you're Marty) is a fansite devoted to the videogame Destiny, which is being made by Bungie Inc. The bungie.org family of fansites is spearheaded by Bungie fan & community forefather Claude Errera, and includes other popular destinations based around other beloved Bungie franchises & creations. We are simply fans looking to enjoy the game with other fans.

Our members must show maturity, respect towards others, and have fun.

Must I have fun?!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 17:08 (2528 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Yes

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 18:13 (2528 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Made

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 17:14 (2528 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

[image]

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 17:08 (2528 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd approve of any banner that included the D,

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Stop looking at me like that!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 18:00 (2528 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

This is glorious! +7

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 15:09 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Et tu, ManKitten?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 15:50 (2528 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Et tu, ManKitten?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 16:13 (2528 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

Finally finished listening

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:34 (2528 days ago) @ Beorn

Great job, guys. Was it Speed or Xenos who said that the lost sectors and adventures were what interested them the most? That's how I feltl. That, the NPCs in action, and what Claude said about the morale of the troops are what have me most excited about Destiny 2.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 15:49 (2527 days ago) @ Kermit

Great job, guys. Was it Speed or Xenos who said that the lost sectors and adventures were what interested them the most? That's how I feltl. That, the NPCs in action, and what Claude said about the morale of the troops are what have me most excited about Destiny 2.

I think that was me.

I'm trying to not get my expectations up too much, but I'm hoping they have more resemblance to the Cauldrons from H:ZD than just using the same exact icon. :-)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 16:26 (2527 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think that was me.

I'm trying to not get my expectations up too much, but I'm hoping they have more resemblance to the Cauldrons from H:ZD than just using the same exact icon. :-)

I'm in the early going of H:ZD, but I'm enjoying it so far. Maybe it will be what Journey (and its drop-in matchmaking) was for me, prepwork for the new Destiny game.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 18:21 (2527 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Isn't that what strikes basically already are? I guess it could be a more platformy based area, rather than shooting driven, but that doesn't really seem all that great.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 18:28 (2527 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Isn't that what strikes basically already are? I guess it could be a more platformy based area, rather than shooting driven, but that doesn't really seem all that great.

I mean something more focused on exploration and peeling back the curtain on the golden age and collapse.

Strikes are great, but they don't have any aspect of mystery to them. The cauldrons and ruins of Horizon are all about mystery - and, more importantly, pulling back the curtain. Destiny needs more of that.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 18:33 (2527 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Strikes are great, but they don't have any aspect of mystery to them. The cauldrons and ruins of Horizon are all about mystery - and, more importantly, pulling back the curtain. Destiny needs more of that.

Okay, I can see that. I think it could be neat, but it seems like it goes against Bungie's philosophy with Destiny. Everything is designed to be replayable, and that doesn't seem like it really would be. I wouldn't be opposed to it being something like that--I'm just not sure it fits.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 20:12 (2527 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Okay, I can see that. I think it could be neat, but it seems like it goes against Bungie's philosophy with Destiny. Everything is designed to be replayable, and that doesn't seem like it really would be. I wouldn't be opposed to it being something like that--I'm just not sure it fits.

Everything hasn't been replayable. Most quests you could do only once per character, what about something smaller? I've been to the first ruin in H:ZD, and that was more evocative than all of what was in the game world of Destiny. Maybe that's a little bit of an overstatement but not much. I want the depth that you had to work for (the Grimoire) and hints at the that depth closer the surface.

Thanks!

by Oholiab @, Friday, May 26, 2017, 15:14 (2526 days ago) @ Beorn

Really enjoyed hearing everyone's thoughts and impressions.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread