My favorite scene from the reveal (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:25 (2529 days ago)

I made a short video focusing on the bits in the reveal that featured Shipwright Amanda Holliday.

https://youtu.be/IX98B6SJxcI

And to be clear, it's not that I necessarily think this is some amazing bit of storytelling.

It's just that after Destiny 1 practically going out of its way to NOT provide context or deliver relatable characters, these scenes were a breath of fresh air.

The one thing that I didn't like about Amanda...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:47 (2529 days ago) @ narcogen

She refers to us as "that Guardian that you never shut up about". But she knows us. She's bet money on us, and we've helped her win a contest with the Chaperone (helping cement her mother's legacy). Why would she act like she only knows us through Zavala, if we have a personal relationship with her? Anyway, that bugged me quite a bit.

Anyway, good points in that video, keep it up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:09 (2529 days ago) @ Korny

She refers to us as "that Guardian that you never shut up about". But she knows us. She's bet money on us, and we've helped her win a contest with the Chaperone (helping cement her mother's legacy). Why would she act like she only knows us through Zavala, if we have a personal relationship with her? Anyway, that bugged me quite a bit.

Because your character isn't named dude, and that's the only way she could refer to you so that it's clear to the audience it's your guardian.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 01:36 (2529 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because your character isn't named dude, and that's the only way she could refer to you so that it's clear to the audience it's your guardian.

That's what mine is called. You know, that or His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:12 (2529 days ago) @ Korny

Well, that only applies if you did the quest for her. Some people, uh, may not have.

>.>

<.<

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:13 (2529 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Well, that only applies if you did the quest for her. Some people, uh, may not have.

.>

<.<

Don't feel bad. You have to fix Crucible matches, and the Chaperone sucks anyway.

SRL ftw

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 25, 2017, 02:53 (2529 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 05:42 (2529 days ago) @ Cody Miller

the Chaperone sucks anyway.

You are often accused of being wrong on these forums, Cody, but this may be the most wrong you've ever been.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 00:04 (2529 days ago) @ Revenant1988

.>

<.<

I mean, there's still all of those offscreen Noodle (Ramen?) adventures that we go on. Surely we'd have gotten to know her better over the year(s). It's not like our Guardian sits in his ship in orbit when we're not playing... I mean, unless you're one of those Exos...

I could imagine they'd all have their own nicknames for us. She could have referred to us as "our friend" or "The Leadfoot" or something a little more personal. Sure she meets countless Guardians, but she knew exactly which Guardian we were when Zavala gave her the order, so she has to know us in some way or another (I mean, one of the very first things that you do in the game is get your ship serviced by her).

In D1, Shaxx calls you "Hive Bane" if you've completed TTK. Someone else calls you "Slayer of Oryx". We sure aren't "becoming legend" if the people that we regularly interact with start acknowledging us through hearsay...

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:28 (2529 days ago) @ Korny

Not all of us did that. When I saw that getting killed in the crucible with TLW equipped caused it to go backwards, that was it for me.

Yeah, I think that's a conflict inherent in this approach. Since Taken King or so they've been pushing this idea of "THE guardian", trying to simultaneously acknowledge that you are one of many, but trying to allow every player-controlled guardian to feel like they are somehow everyone's favorite-- first Cayde's, now Zavala's.

Thanks!

by Mad_Stylus, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:31 (2529 days ago) @ narcogen

A lot of games, MMOs included, always have some generic title for the player character, which is handy for spoken lines. KOTOR 2 you were "The Exile", in Skyrim you were "Dragonborn", so on.

These were titles and identities that only YOU, the player, had. The inherent problem I'm seeing is that not everyone does the same content, so trying to pick something might be tricky. Not everyone slew Oryx, or played any D1 content, after all.

That said, we need a better descriptor than just "The Guardian."

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 02:53 (2529 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

But if you remember how much of Destiny is looping and convergent timelines, then there is only ones Guardian with a capital G. Because from your perspective, everyone else is support. And from their perspective you are. The game world doesn't need suspension of disbelief for gaminess if your perspective is kept appropriately aloft.

And to the actual topic at hand? Someone being snarky to someone else in a stressful situation is pretty common in regular speech. And since she isn't addressing you making her reference to you about Zavala's personality makes more sense than being like "I picked up Guardian Dude o'Brotenheim, where do you want him?" or some other nonsense.

The Garden Guardian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 11:24 (2528 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 23:44 (2529 days ago) @ Korny

My hunter dated her for the past 2 years and that's how she refered to him? He's dumping her as soon as he gets to the Farm.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 12:26 (2528 days ago) @ bluerunner

My hunter dated her for the past 2 years and that's how she refered to him? He's dumping her as soon as he gets to the Farm.

Still jealous of your hunter.

I kind of agree with Korny, but from a different angle. I know it's contrary to the video tradition of having the player be the supreme hero of the story, but one thing I like about the Destiny universe is that guardians are seldom singular. I wouldn't mind if the outro for strikes (and maybe someday raids, if they had outros) referred to us a team. Likewise, if an NPC is referring to us in conversation with higher ups, "a guardian" would work, as in one of many. One on one, of course, they could suck up to us as being special, which we might be to them if, for instance, we just finished their quest.

This!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 23:23 (2528 days ago) @ Kermit

I kind of agree with Korny, but from a different angle. I know it's contrary to the video tradition of having the player be the supreme hero of the story, but one thing I like about the Destiny universe is that guardians are seldom singular. I wouldn't mind if the outro for strikes (and maybe someday raids, if they had outros) referred to us a team.

This. Exactly this. Why did they do this only once-- after the Black Garden mission? Why can cutscenes insert your Guardian but not the rest of the fireteam? Is this some kind of inscrutable, insurmountable technical challenge? Lots of hero stories are about groups of heroes, not singular ones. What is the BFD?

Likewise, if an NPC is referring to us in conversation with higher ups, "a guardian" would work, as in one of many. One on one, of course, they could suck up to us as being special, which we might be to them if, for instance, we just finished their quest.

Yup!

by Durandal, Friday, May 26, 2017, 14:48 (2527 days ago) @ Kermit

Zavala's "Team ... (long sigh) The enemy doesn't care what we call ourselves so lets go kick some butt... meet with me for debrifing" amused me greatly. That and the whole little pre-SIVA storyline where guardians were just spreading these mites around and everyone was confused, kind of shows how different the attitude is when you have a bunch of immortals doing whatever.

I wonder if they had used this plot for Marathon how it would have ended up?

Really though, I had said way back that we needed NPCs in the wild to really make it feel more alive and engaging. It looks like D2 will really take that to heart. Now if only we could get the larger, more open worlds.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread