Some game deals to tide you over between now and D2... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 01:42 (2500 days ago)
edited by Korny, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 02:35

Playstation
(That's right, I got some stuff for you Xbox people too!)

This week's deals on PSN are definitely worth a look (this is all assuming that you have already picked up Horizon Zero Dawn. If you haven't, disregard this list and get that instead):

Bloodborne [Complete Edition Bundle] ($17.49):
Imagine if a Souls game was good, faster-paced, and visually gorgeous. Now imagine that it had a sweet Victorian era setting, and you have a gun instead of a shield. That's Bloodborne in a nutshell. Is it punishing? Extremely. Is it fair? Mostly. Is it fun? Definitely. Getting the bundle gives you the $20 "The Old Hunters" expansion, which I never picked up, but apparently a lot of people really like. So yeh, it's a pretty good deal. If you're into the old Dark Souls, you can pick up the remaster of Dark Souls II for $12, but seriously, Bloodborne.

Shadow of Mordor [GOTY Edition] ($9.99):
If you loved Horizon Zero Dawn, this game has a lot of similarities to it (and some of the same talent behind it). It was definitely one of my favorite open-world games after the Assassin's Creed series burnt me out on the genre, so if you need something to draw you in (or keep you entertained while we wait for HZD DLC), this is a great choice. Plus, the game pioneers a Nemesis system that you'll no doubt be seeing much more of in the future (especially in the insane-looking sequel). Some neat DLC that integrates well into the main game, so definitely worth picking up.

Borderlands [Handsome Jack Collection] ($19.79):
If you picked up the Tales From The Borderlands for free this month (and you really should, it's great), you probably love the setting and characters. Well guess what? This collection comes with hundreds of hours of content in that same world (and the nearby moon). Around a dozen or so vastly different characters to play as across both included games, you'll definitely have some fun. Plus, it's got 4-player co-op (and Splitscreen!). The gameplay may not be as polished as Destiny's, but the story and characters are 10x better. I'd say that two of the DLC campaigns alone are worth the price of admission, but even replaying the main game alone is great (though it does get off to a bit of a slow start, which New Game+ mercifully skips most of). Lots of fun to play (and a number of us DBO folks have it already).

Tomb Raider($7.49):
I like this game more than the sequel (which is also on sale for $30). I said it. The characters, the story, the puzzles, the combat. It all feels really deliberate throughout, and it's worth a playthrough (Heck, I've bought it twice!).

Overwatch [GOTY edition] ($38.99):
Yep, tons of folks are still playing Overwatch. Easy to pick up and play, characters scientifically engineered to be as charming and endearing as possible, and a steadily growing list of free content, it's hard to say that it didn't live up to the hype (personally, I liked Battleborn more, but that game died a pretty quick death under the weight of Blizzard's juggernaut). You've seen the fanart, seen the religious following from all gaming sites, and now you get to pick it up at a totally reasonable price! I don't play it too much, but there are plenty of events (PvP and PvE) popping up that make it worth revisiting periodically, and it's one of those games that gives you a great feeling of earned satisfaction when you're doing well.

Xbox
(Slim pickings, but eh, some good stuff)

Titanfall 2 ($20):
Get it. We've told you about it. A lot. And yet you've ignored us. Well, now you can get it and enjoy a refreshing campaign (even Cody "I hate all fun and whine irrationally about games with cosmetic Microtransactions" Miller thought it was great!). Multiplayer (and its stream of free DLC) is pretty dang fantastic as well, and full of great moments, in case Cruel and I don't post enough clips for you to notice (here's another one!).

Overwatch [GOTY edition] ($38.99)
See Playstation post above.

Battlefield 1 ($30)
It's a smaller and more focused Battlefield game. Still full of great large-scale battles, but with a deeper focus on perfecting mastery of roles rather than building your favorite loadouts. The mini-campaigns make for one of the better Battlefield campaigns, though that's sadly not saying much. Worth a playthrough, though!

Some game deals to tide you over between now and D2...

by Kahzgul, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 05:41 (2500 days ago) @ Korny

You missed a HUGE one on Xbox:

State of Decay, remastered. $9.99.

It's GTA but with zombies. And you can go into every building, search them for guns, ammo, and (more importantly) melee weapons, build a base, make friends with other survivors, join forces, and - hopefully - escape. Plus this includes both expansions: One that is basically an endless mode, and another that is a whole new map with a focus on soldiers and more guns. IMO this game is a must-own.

PS, Overwatch is free until Tues. on all platforms...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, May 27, 2017, 19:08 (2497 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread