Vidoc up - Out Here in the Wild

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 09:59 (3893 days ago)

Floating enemy at 0:31

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:14 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I can't wait to die by their hands without mercy.

Thank you, Bungie. We love you! :)

Reminds me of dragon priests in Skyrim

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:21 (3893 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

This shot is so stunning *IMG*

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:21 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I can't wait to explore this place:

[image]

new footage is always so exciting!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:28 (3893 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Oh cool, it's the gardens!
[image]

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:38 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm so happy we got to see them here! The gardens are by far one of my favourite pieces of concept art.

What I like about it

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:58 (3893 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

The concept art keeps getting turned into actual gameplay spaces. It feels like anything we've seen in concept can be done in game, and that's an incredibly cool thought given the great art we've seen so far!

What I like about it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:01 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The concept art keeps getting turned into actual gameplay spaces. It feels like anything we've seen in concept can be done in game, and that's an incredibly cool thought given the great art we've seen so far!

This would also explain why they have shown us so much concept art, because they are giving us literal previews of in game content.

What I like about it

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 14:54 (3892 days ago) @ Xenos

What I really like is that the actual scene genuinely lives up to the concept art. When I see concept art I usually brace myself for disappointment, but here the final product looks even more engaging. The wisps of cloud drifting low over the terrain, the lights in the distance...very spooky.

If you look closely, there are what look like processions of blinking red lights floating slowly over the landscape in the distance. I wonder what those could be. Maybe Vex drones? They tend to have the whole scary-robot red lights for eyes thing going on.

What I like about it

by NotTheVacuum, Friday, August 23, 2013, 18:19 (3892 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I might not be seeing what you're seeing, but I see pinkish edges of what looks like a big circle or sphere.

What I like about it

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 19:53 (3891 days ago) @ NotTheVacuum

I might not be seeing what you're seeing, but I see pinkish edges of what looks like a big circle or sphere.

I was wondering about that too.

But I was talking about these:

[image]

What I like about it

by NotTheVacuum, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 10:05 (3891 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

UFBRO... why do I feel like that's sticking around...

I see those as flowers, but I can smell what you're stepping in.

Get your protractors out!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:32 (3891 days ago) @ NotTheVacuum
edited by Pyromancy, Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:58

Looks like light traveling/refracting through the moisture/ice/gasses in the fog. It could belong to a large number of optical phenomenon. Sometimes referred to as a rainbow/fog bow/glory/Halo/parhelion/anthelion/corona. The bright spots on the outer edges are almost sun dog like.

Could just be the oh so loved/hated "artistic" lens flare effect

:)
This tidbit is particularly interesting. http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2005/25feb_titan2

Yes! Yes! Yes!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 12:19 (3893 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

- No text -

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:28 (3893 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

How do you know that's not just a skybox/background/inaccessible area?

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:46 (3893 days ago) @ Schooly D

I don't.

Regardless, I can't wait to explore there and/or surrounding regions, and absorbing that environment with my peepers. I don't think it's unreasonable of me.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:50 (3893 days ago) @ Schooly D

How do you know that's just a skybox/background/inaccessible area?

We already know the vast area in front of the wall in Old Russia is playable space. Why not assume the same for this? The Garden concept art was shown pretty early and seems to be built-up enough for it to be off-limits.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 19:10 (3893 days ago) @ Beorn

We already know the vast area in front of the wall in Old Russia is playable space. Why not assume the same for this? The Garden concept art was shown pretty early and seems to be built-up enough for it to be off-limits.

And it looks to me like a bunch of little trenches right in front of you running towards the hill. Sounds like a neat playspace! Reminds me of a trenches map in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the first Live game I owned...

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:11 (3891 days ago) @ Leviathan

And it looks to me like a bunch of little trenches right in front of you running towards the hill. Sounds like a neat playspace! Reminds me of a trenches map in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the first Live game I owned...

It really is a neat little playspace. I'm glad it caught others eyes too, and that it looks like it will make the final game. Everytime I see it I think of it as a sacred area.
Since the concept reveal it has kind of reminded me of a labyrinth, The kind a Minotaur would be kept in. :)

I've also had visions of the rock being a sacred altar for sacrifices and the pathways are for channeling the blood away from the area.

On the other hand I've had the idea of them being irrigation "ditches", to get water into the inner areas of the gardens?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:13 (3891 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I've also had visions of the rock being a sacred altar for sacrifices and the pathways are for channeling the blood away from the area.

Heh. Creepy much? :p

On the other hand I've had the idea of them being irrigation "ditches", to get water into the inner areas of the gardens?

I get the sense that those channels are really big. Like 20+ feet high. That'd be a lot of water… or blood…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 23, 2013, 09:27 (3892 days ago) @ Schooly D

Given that Destiny is inspired by borderlands, and generally everything you see in Borderlands (2 anyway) is playable space, if it weren't playable space that would be pretty weak.

the danger of a single reference

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 09:36 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I imagine if Destiny doesn't have 1,000,000 guns that'll be pretty weak as well?

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:48 (3893 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

The black garden! So fucking cool!

Just Realized We Had Another (Bleaker?) View:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 10:45 (3891 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

One of the concept art images released a while ago:
[image]

Just Realized We Had Another (Bleaker?) View:

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 10:58 (3891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ah yes... very moody.

I really dig this location so much!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:24 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Giant robot enemy at 3:37 - 3:39 or so.

Overall a nice ViDoc (heh, a word my iPad's auto correct knows :p) with a nice refreshing sense of showing us things and explaining things. Can't wait to watch the community analyze the heck out of it. :)

Awesome!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:26 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I will probably put up an analysis later today, if only I didn't have to work...

Working indeed :(

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:28 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Just do what I did

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:32 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

Take your phone and headphones to the bathroom and enjoy the vidoc the way it was meant to... upon a porcelain tranquility throne.

Oh don't worry, I watched it!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:38 (3893 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Luckily at my job I can get away with watching a 5 minute video without anyone saying anything. Spending 30-60 minutes analyzing every frame of the video is a different story...

Just do what I did

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 23:15 (3892 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Take your phone and headphones to the bathroom and enjoy the vidoc the way it was meant to... upon a porcelain tranquility throne.

That way you won't need a change of pants after you see it.

Just do what I did

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 23, 2013, 06:02 (3892 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

The sanitary way to shit yourself.

"Looks like a dragon, probably breathes fire."

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:28 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

- No text -

Also, HULK SMASH!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:48 (3893 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Oh man...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:04 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

...I hope I can play this game when it comes out in 2014. Time is infinite and finite - like UV Space. I miss youz guyz. :/

Anywho there are two things that irk me slightly; I hope they have more shape based variety in the customisations then what was shown and Luke Smiths shirt. I need one. Should be in Destiny as customisable content.

Yes.

Also Nice Job on the Effects. :) <3

LUKE SMITH!!!! YES!!!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:13 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

- No text -

I dig his shirt.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 23, 2013, 13:43 (3892 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Weapons

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:19 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

It seems like the ability to carry 3 weapons will be much more restricted than something like Vanquish or Gears of War, where you had three weapons slots to put whatever weapon you want in. Judging from this, only certain weapons can go in certain slots, limiting combinations.

Easier to balance maybe, but certainly more boring than the more traditional system, and somewhat at odds with the idea of players building their characters with freedom.

Weapons

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:25 (3893 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It seems like the ability to carry 3 weapons will be much more restricted than something like Vanquish or Gears of War, where you had three weapons slots to put whatever weapon you want in. Judging from this, only certain weapons can go in certain slots, limiting combinations.

Easier to balance maybe, but certainly more boring than the more traditional system, and somewhat at odds with the idea of players building their characters with freedom.

I am okay with since you will be able to have more than 3 weapons in your inventory. I think it would be incredibly restrictive if you could only ever carry 3 weapons.

Weapons

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:38 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

“When I joined the Guardians, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy third slots. We had pulse rifles. Two pulse rifles and a sniper rifle for the whole platoon—and we had to share the sniper! Buck up, boy, you're one very lucky Guardian!”

Weapons

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 23:17 (3892 days ago) @ Ragashingo

“When I joined the Guardians, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy third slots. We had pulse rifles. Two pulse rifles and a sniper rifle for the whole platoon—and we had to share the sniper! Buck up, boy, you're one very lucky Guardian!”

If this game has a tutorial, this absolutely needs to happen.

Weapons

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:39 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

I am okay with since you will be able to have more than 3 weapons in your inventory. I think it would be incredibly restrictive if you could only ever carry 3 weapons.

I think it would be incredibly restrictive if you could only ever carry 2 weapons. That game would suck.

Weapons

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 12:25 (3893 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I think it would be incredibly restrictive if you could only ever carry 2 weapons. That game would suck.

Not really, because you could carry ANY combination of 2 weapons.

Weapons

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 12:29 (3893 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Haha, I'm sure you know what I meant, but I'm going to explain anyway. Number of weapons in a single Halo game (Reach for this example): 17. Number of weapons in Destiny: over 1 million. Having an extra slot, and being able to hold more in your inventory will definitely be helpful :)

This brings up an interesting question

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 13:08 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

Can you pause Destiny?

Never?

Yes, but only in private areas and only when you have no fire team buddies?

My guess is its not a good idea to rummage through your inventory while under fire.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 13:22 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My guess is its not a good idea to rummage through your inventory while under fire.

Definitely agree, but if you ran across a public event like in the E3 event for example, you could see the Devil Walker coming in and switch from your Heavy Machine Gun to your Rocket Launcher in preparation, something you wouldn't be able to do in Halo unless you were juggling a Rocket Launcher with you along the way.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 15:55 (3893 days ago) @ Xenos

Definitely agree, but if you ran across a public event like in the E3 event for example, you could see the Devil Walker coming in and switch from your Heavy Machine Gun to your Rocket Launcher in preparation, something you wouldn't be able to do in Halo unless you were juggling a Rocket Launcher with you along the way.

It would make a lot of sense to have the length of time a player is committed to their choice of loadout tied to the length of gameplay you've signed up for. From lengthy engagements out in the wild to competitive matches, your primary and secondary weapons wouldn't change(or at least not often) and your special can be hot-swapped. I totally agree on not wanting to rummage.

Who enjoys Backpack Tetris as a metagame?

~M

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 22, 2013, 21:38 (3892 days ago) @ Malagate

Who enjoys Backpack Tetris as a metagame?

I do. But I really, really like Tetris.

Also, Sage is looking way too thin. Did he get sick recently?

by GrimBrother IV, Friday, August 23, 2013, 09:21 (3892 days ago) @ ZackDark

I think it just goes through phases where it absorbs all of the nourishmant he takes in. ..or it just dteals the food before he can put it in his mouth. .

Weapons

by petetheduck, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 17:12 (3893 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It sounds like I'm forced to carry one light, one medium, and one heavy weapon. If so, that kinda sucks. I don't like those kind of systems. If I want to carry a sniper rifle and rocket launcher, I should be able to!

Although it sounds like you won't be picking up weapons from the battlefield, so maybe we'll adjust to this new system easily.

Weapons

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 20:25 (3892 days ago) @ petetheduck

It sounds like I'm forced to carry one light, one medium, and one heavy weapon. If so, that kinda sucks. I don't like those kind of systems. If I want to carry a sniper rifle and rocket launcher, I should be able to!

Although it sounds like you won't be picking up weapons from the battlefield, so maybe we'll adjust to this new system easily.

Agreed, it would seem that our weapons are a more permanent addition to our inventory as opposed to Halo's "toss it when it's empty" approach. I'm curious to see how this plays into the "sandbox" nature of Destiny's gameplay, since I considered Halo's disposable weapon system to be one of the core elements of the sandbox.

Weapons

by kapowaz, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 23:45 (3892 days ago) @ petetheduck

From my understanding thus far Sniper Rifles are classified as ‘special’ weapons, not ‘heavy’ weapons, so you could still do this. It's kind of suggested in the E3 trailer and CG short that the Hunter class is a bit of a sniper specialist, so it wouldn't make much sense for that class to only get to use snipers when everyone else is using heavies. I'd not be surprised if they have a special exception to use a sniper rifle as their primary weapon, in fact.

It'd be great to get that kind of thing confirmed…

Not the categorization I was expecting...

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 23:38 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was almost certain it was going to be something like:

- 1 Heavy
- 1 Medium
- 1 Light

or

- 2 Main
- 1 Sidearm

But it's going to be:

- 1 Heavy
- 1 Rifle
- 1 Specialized

At first I shared the sentiment about it being overly-restrictive, but then I came to realize that this system probably won't be *that* restrictive.

Maybe there will be assault rifles that count as 'heavies', and light snipers that count as 'rifles'? And with a ton of weapons out there, I'm sure there'll be enough options to keep everyone* happy.

*Okay...most people.

by kapowaz, Friday, August 23, 2013, 02:15 (3892 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

At first I shared the sentiment about it being overly-restrictive, but then I came to realize that this system probably won't be *that* restrictive.

I suspect this will work well, because of the collaborative team-play design of the game. It's also important to remember that when designing a game which is intentionally asymmetric (class-based, with each class having strengths and weaknesses) in order to ensure the game is balanced, you have to have certain things be consistent. I imagine a lot of people hear ‘balance’ and think of PvP etc, but it's also got a lot to do with ensuring that every player has a minimum viable toolset for playing the game.

As always, I'm going to fall back on WoW to explain by analogy. Let's take the example of the tank role. As you probably all know, the role of the tank is to keep the attention of a boss in an encounter so as to leave other players free to do damage or heal. To do this role effectively, they have to be able to survive the boss's (usually deadly) attacks. There are lots of ways of achieving this goal though, and so earlier in the game's life there were a few competing models: you could tank through avoidance (by dodging attacks), blocking (using a shield to deflect attacks) or mitigation (having massive amounts of armour, to reduce the damage attacks cause). Ultimately though, these competing models led to problems with encounter design: you could only design a boss's potential attacks within a very narrow range of possibilities since all of the tanking models had to be able to still work. You couldn't, for example, create a boss who did an un-dodgable, high-damage attack, because the tanks that focused on dodging might not actually be able to survive that attack. This did indeed lead to a situation where a lot of bosses would ‘splat’ the tank the second they failed to block/dodge or a heal didn't arrive in the half-second or so before the next attack, which killed them.

The solution was to build in a degree of homogenisation. All tanks now take advantage of both mitigate and avoidance. To be sure, there is still a fair bit of flavour to make them interesting and different (Blood Death Knights do a fair bit of self-healing, for example), but they were all reworked to give them ‘cooldown’ abilities that could be used every couple of minutes to give themselves extra-strong defences, and abilities to interrupt a boss's spells etc. whenever the encounter permitted it.

To bring this back to Destiny, I think that Bungie is aware of the fact that players may find themselves in both group and solo situations where they need to have certain core abilities. To this end, they always want you to have a primary weapon that is a reliable damage dealer, that isn't overly specialised or dependent on scarce ammo, that isn't excessively powerful in too many situations. But they also want you to be able to switch to a specialised choice as you see fit if that makes sense. Maybe the way the game will work will mean you have to make a decision about what that specialised choice will be in advance of going into combat; maybe you'll be able to change it relatively easily so long as you're not under fire. Either way, you'll have to make interesting choices there, which is why I refute any suggestion that this is a ‘boring’ limitation.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 23, 2013, 08:10 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

[M]aybe you'll be able to change it relatively easily so long as you're not under fire.

This is what I'm expecting.

Derp

by kapowaz, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 23:42 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hey look everyone! Cody's worried this game that is not like Vanquish or Gears of War at all will suck because it doesn't have a weapon system like Vanquish or Gears of War!

Next week: why it'll suck because it uses a resource system that isn't like StarCraft II.

Derp

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 08:03 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

Two things don't have to be kinds in order to learn something which is applicable to both. If Gears did something well and Destiny does the same thing less well, it doesn't matter that Destiny is in many other respects unlike Gears, it matters that we have an example to call on.

Derp

by kapowaz, Friday, August 23, 2013, 08:09 (3892 days ago) @ Leisandir

Two things don't have to be kinds in order to learn something which is applicable to both. If Gears did something well and Destiny does the same thing less well, it doesn't matter that Destiny is in many other respects unlike Gears, it matters that we have an example to call on.

The opposite is also true. Basically there is zero causal connection between the things Cody bellyaches about (yet again), yet he implies that there is. Utterly baseless tripe from an armchair videogame design critic, as usual.

Derp

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 23, 2013, 09:25 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

Hey look everyone! Cody's worried this game that is not like Vanquish or Gears of War at all will suck because it doesn't have a weapon system like Vanquish or Gears of War!

You really suck at reading comprehension. Never made that argument.

There's a bunch of options when it comes to weapons:

1. Carry all weapons at once (Doom)
2. Carry whatever weapons you want, so long as they fit in a general inventory (Deus Ex)
3. Limited number of general weapon slots (Halo)
4. Limited number of specific weapon slots (Destiny)

4 is more restrictive than 3. I used Vanquish as an example because it has three weapon slots like Destiny. If you are going to restrict player option, it needs to add something back in the form of complexity. 2 adds back the complexity of inventory management, and weapons taking up space that other items could occupy. Strategic tradeoff. 3 adds back the complexity of figuring out the right weapon combination for any given area, with each having their own strengths and weaknesses. Strategic Tradeoff.

But how does 4 add any complexity over 3? It doesn't really. It's just a more restrictive version.

Derp

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 23, 2013, 09:43 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

2. Carry whatever weapons you want, so long as they fit in a general inventory (Deus Ex)

As far as we know at this point Destiny is not your number 4 but is (at least) a mishmash of 2 & 3. It seems you can carry more than one "general weapon", "special weapon" and "heavy weapon" in your inventory then choose which of each class you want equipped at a given time. At this point, with what little we know I think Destiny would be classified as:

5. Limited number of specific weapon slots + some sort of inventory.

But how does 4 add any complexity over 3? It doesn't really. It's just a more restrictive version.

I'm not sure your arguement hold up any longer given that Destiny is not actually your number 4.

Derp

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 23, 2013, 10:33 (3892 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As far as we know at this point Destiny is not your number 4 but is (at least) a mishmash of 2 & 3. It seems you can carry more than one "general weapon", "special weapon" and "heavy weapon" in your inventory then choose which of each class you want equipped at a given time. At this point, with what little we know I think Destiny would be classified as:

5. Limited number of specific weapon slots + some sort of inventory.

I'm not sure your arguement hold up any longer given that Destiny is not actually your number 4.

Okay, that's interesting.

In Deus Ex, weapons occupy inventory space when equipped, unlike say, Diablo where equipping a weapon removes it from your inventory. If it's the former + specific slots, that's not so good, but if it's like Diablo, then I guess it is what it is.

Derp

by kapowaz, Friday, August 23, 2013, 10:26 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You really suck at reading comprehension.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

Derp

by Avateur @, Friday, August 23, 2013, 20:08 (3891 days ago) @ kapowaz

Mostly fact. Since you made a troll post in response to Cody, may as well make a straight post to you. He made a comparison. Your problem seems to be that it's outside of the genre even though Bungie is apparently creating a new genre shared world shooter MMOFPSSWSSOSYOLOKTHXBI, so all that can be compared to are similar examples of weapon management systems from other shooters.

I mean, wow. Destiny is going to be FPS in nature with occasional 3PS stuff, right? Yet Cody dared to compare to Gears as part of that example! How heretical!

But the nonsense argument you're making aside, when you continue to read his post, he notes that it appears to be a design system based on easier balancing, while stating his, gasp, own personal opinion that this type of less complex system would be more boring than the traditional system (where maybe you don't want a power weapon, and you just want a pistol, a pistol, and an SMG for whatever your needs or strategic thinking are at the time).

But sure, reading comprehension. Back to the topic of your hilarious reply.

"Cody's worried this game that is not like Vanquish or Gears of War at all will suck"

Oh my gosh Cody never said the word suck or even implied that it will and never even said he's worried about if it will or won't suck! Look at you putting words into his mouth and contorting his intent, that sole intent being comments on the weapon system in a comparative situation as opposed to even discussing the game as a whole or even combat in general!

And in the end, while trying to insult Cody, well, I'd say you did a great job of insulting your own reading comprehension and your own legitimacy in your response. Especially when you brought up such good points about ammo, yet couldn't focus on that instead of troll replying to Cody. Darn. Dat comprehension.

No

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 03:02 (3890 days ago) @ Avateur

What this forum doesn't need any more of: people defending Cody for his unwarranted and evidenceless negativity.

You might want to dismiss my half-serious retort as a lack of reading comprehension, but even if it's not a wholly accurate reflection of what Cody said, it is a completely accurate assessment of Cody's game design analysis posts on Destiny to date which can be summarised as: we don't know much about this game, and I in particular don't know much about the games that this game takes inspiration from, but I'm going to negatively criticise every game behaviour I can infer, even in a relatively detail-sparse pre-release environment.

It's boring, it doesn't contribute (positively) to the debate, and if I didn't know better I'd assume if was trolling.

As I've said many times, there's plenty of room for skepticism about how well Destiny will play, but it's mostly based on stuff we just don't know yet. I feel like any conclusions that aren't wrapped in layers of caveats right now simply paint you as an overreactionary. Then there's the ALL CAPS YOU ARE AN IDIOT DIDN'T YOU READ WHAT I SAID OMG YOUR READING COMPREHENSION SUCKS. I mean, if I wanted to deal with that crap I'd go hang out on bungie.net.

*Sigh*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 08:42 (3890 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's funny, I thought nobody hated Cody's trollish, arrogant, myopic posting style more than me. Looks like I have competition. And as you note, it gets especially bad when he turns to name calling and yelling when people continue to disagree with him. Last time he did that to me I left these boards for a week and have only engaged him directly on anything one or two times over the last few months. I straight up wish he was gone, so I hope you'll understand that what I say next is in no way an attempt to defend him.

Your rebuttals of Cody's postings are getting just a bit out of control, in my opinion. I get it. The need to counter him at every turn. I did it for a while. For me, it was based on the idea that bad arguments and bad behavior shouldn't be accepted. But at some point countering him at every turn leads to bad posting on your own part. I started slipping into sarcasm instead of making a valid points and getting angry when he didn't change his ways. For you, it seems to be responding to what he probably means instead of what he actually says and the occasional flippant gif based response. The way I see it anytime you or I can't respond rationally and directly we lose and he wins. For my part I've chosen to mostly stop responding to him at all.

There's always going to be someone wrong on the internet. Around here it seems like that someone is going to be Cody. But you need to decide whether this board is about Cody Miller and how wrong he is, or if it's about Destiny. I'm not saying don't feed the troll exactly, I still think his bad arguments and behavior are unacceptable, but if you're going to do it at least do it well. Keep your counter arguments tight and don't fall back on childish responses when he refuses to see reason. Basically, you shouldn't drop down to his level when debating him.

Anyway, I don't mean to offend you, and I apologize if I did. I know I singled out a couple of your bad responses but there are plenty of good ones you've made too. Just be careful out there and remember that we're here for Destiny, not Cody. :)

*Sigh*

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 13:19 (3890 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I hear you, and I take your point. Where I start to lose my patience is when people defend his crap, which feels even more ridiculous.

But you're right, this forum is about the game we're all looking forward to, first and foremost. I'm going to stick to that from now on.

*Sigh*

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:00 (3890 days ago) @ kapowaz

If it's any consolation, I wasn't defending what he had to say, I was defending what you said in reply to it. Your reply about ammo and whatnot was actually really good, but the entire focus from your questions as it pertained to Destiny itself was completely lost on the fact that you were attacking Cody. In that case, it really did look like you either purposely or completely and totally failed to read what his intent was (in this case).

Whether I agree with his intent or not didn't much matter to me, although I did in this case. In one of the "positive" threads suggested the other week about things Bungie should "bring back" from their older games, I suggested the ability to carry or use more guns. I think limiting the three slots to certain types of weapons is a disservice to the game, assuming that's what Bungie is going to do, and I think that's all Cody was expressing in his opinion as well.

In other words, I didn't really see anything that outlandish in this particular Cody post. I think even think you and I myself could totally disagree with Cody's post without going that personal attack type of route, mischaracterizing what he said, you know? I disagree with plenty of Cody posts, and I agree with a lot, too. I've also agreed and disagreed with plenty of your own posts, even over at HBO. These things happen. :P

No

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 14:38 (3887 days ago) @ kapowaz

What this forum doesn't need any more of: people defending Cody for his unwarranted and evidenceless negativity.

He wasn't even being that negative this time, he basically said he didn't like how it looked like they were going to handle weapons and what he'd prefer.

You might want to dismiss my half-serious retort as a lack of reading comprehension, but even if it's not a wholly accurate reflection of what Cody said, it is a completely accurate assessment of Cody's game design analysis posts on Destiny to date which can be summarised as: we don't know much about this game, and I in particular don't know much about the games that this game takes inspiration from, but I'm going to negatively criticise every game behaviour I can infer, even in a relatively detail-sparse pre-release environment.

Well if it's just as much a joke as it is serious and it not totally accurate (and you know that), why shouldn't anyone and everyone dismiss it?

It's boring, it doesn't contribute (positively) to the debate, and if I didn't know better I'd assume if was trolling.

You do know better though, and you don't have to read his posts or his threads or replies to him.

And in the same thread...

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 03:07 (3890 days ago) @ Avateur

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=13624

Another perfect example, where he a. assumes that a throwaway quote about drawing inspiration from other games implies that this game is primarily influenced by one particular named example, b. isolates a single feature of that game, c. states that without said feature Destiny will not be as good.

It's utter nonsense.

And another…

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 03:44 (3890 days ago) @ kapowaz

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=13588

“a game derivative of Borderlands”
“behind the scenes matchmaking of a shitty indie game”

And another…

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:03 (3890 days ago) @ kapowaz

Those two posts are better examples of things to take issue with, not the one you responded to. I don't understand where all the Borderlands comparisons are coming from (not just from Cody, btw. Others have been throwing those out). Maybe it's because I never played Borderlands? Not sure what's being implied.

I just know that as a whole Cody has been on a thing about actual playable space and distance as far as what you can see and if you can actually play on all of it, and he's been on that without using Borderlands as an example. I think he wants 2km+ playable space that's all playable as a personal want, and I think he thinks it's absolutely technologically possible. I'm not saying whether it is or isn't or should or shouldn't be possible in Destiny, but that other post of his you linked to with regards to whether playable or just background seemed like one of the things he's been posting about in general lately about playable space.

And another…

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:21 (3890 days ago) @ Avateur

Those two posts are better examples of things to take issue with, not the one you responded to. I don't understand where all the Borderlands comparisons are coming from (not just from Cody, btw. Others have been throwing those out). Maybe it's because I never played Borderlands? Not sure what's being implied.

It's pretty much entirely that Borderlands has two things that Destiny will: a lot of guns varied by color and slight variations to style, and emphasis on co-op play.

I think that is a poor reason to be afraid of what Destiny will bring, but others disagree.

And another…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 20:10 (3889 days ago) @ Avateur

I just know that as a whole Cody has been on a thing about actual playable space and distance as far as what you can see and if you can actually play on all of it, and he's been on that without using Borderlands as an example. I think he wants 2km+ playable space that's all playable as a personal want, and I think he thinks it's absolutely technologically possible.

It is technically possible. I brought up Crash Bandicoot 3 a while ago, since that game had larger playable spaces than Destiny, and it was running on a system with 2MB of RAM clocked at 33mhz.

If you are creating a world like Bungie wants to, then I think no loading is a must. It's so immersive to be able to wander huge spaces without ever encountering a loading screen. Jak and Daxter was amazing at this.

Another Naughty Dog game. Hmmmm....

And another…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 20:52 (3889 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is technically possible. I brought up Crash Bandicoot 3 a while ago, since that game had larger playable spaces than Destiny, and it was running on a system with 2MB of RAM clocked at 33mhz.

A few of problems here:

1. Neither you nor I actually know how big Destiny's play spaces will be. We have some vague description from Bungie employees but nothing solid. Simple comparison to past Halo games may also not tell the whole story either. Things like multiple floors and vertical spaces could potentially give Destiny significantly more play space packed into the same square footage as a Halo game for instance.

2. I'm watching the right Crash Bandicoot on youtube right now (Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped correct?) and I find the claim that it has more play space area than Destiny or even a Halo questionable. It's looking like a narrow corridor platformer to me. You could run a ton of small narrow corridors up and down the Warthog run of The Pillar of Autumn, or any other of the larger levels throughout the Halo series. I seem to recall you providing more detail on the claim that Crash was bigger, could you refresh my memory on that?

3. Even if there is more narrow corridor space than there is playable space in Destiny equating the two is dubious at best. They are such different games that comparing any stats or figures between them is very nearly meaningless. Surely there is a more comparable shooter you could compare Destiny to? Half Life 2 seemed to have pretty big spaces for instance.

4. Bringing in technical specifications of the consoles each game runs on is also very nearly meaningless and only serves to cloud any points you are trying to make. It is likely trivial to find games with technically bigger play spaces that run on less powerful systems than Destiny, I can think of a few favorites off the top of my head, but by doing so you are likely ruling out things like improved visuals, AI complexity, and online networked gameplay that Destiny has that other games may lack. Again it would be better to keep the comparison as close as possible to judge wether Destiny is making good use of resources or not.

In the end I'm not sure you're even arguing in good faith here. Comparing wildly different game types, clouding the issues by brining in system specs while not mentioning graphics quality or online multiplayer, and making said claims without having any actual data from or experience with Destiny makes your arguments seem almost intentionally murky.

I challenge you to do better.

And another…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 26, 2013, 12:43 (3889 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A few of problems here:

1. Neither you nor I actually know how big Destiny's play spaces will be. We have some vague description from Bungie employees but nothing solid.

2km^2 are the map sizes. That was stated specifically.

Simple comparison to past Halo games may also not tell the whole story either. Things like multiple floors and vertical spaces could potentially give Destiny significantly more play space packed into the same square footage as a Halo game for instance.

This is very true, and I hope it happens!

2. I'm watching the right Crash Bandicoot on youtube right now (Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped correct?) and I find the claim that it has more play space area than Destiny or even a Halo questionable. It's looking like a narrow corridor platformer to me. You could run a ton of small narrow corridors up and down the Warthog run of The Pillar of Autumn, or any other of the larger levels throughout the Halo series. I seem to recall you providing more detail on the claim that Crash was bigger, could you refresh my memory on that?

There's a bunch of levels later on that let you free roam, and even in the straight path levels, you can see actual geometry up to 3km away.

3. Even if there is more narrow corridor space than there is playable space in Destiny equating the two is dubious at best. They are such different games that comparing any stats or figures between them is very nearly meaningless. Surely there is a more comparable shooter you could compare Destiny to? Half Life 2 seemed to have pretty big spaces for instance.

I guess it'd be the far Cry games then? Even the first lets you play in more than 2km^2 of space.

In the end I'm not sure you're even arguing in good faith here. Comparing wildly different game types, clouding the issues by brining in system specs while not mentioning graphics quality or online multiplayer, and making said claims without having any actual data from or experience with Destiny makes your arguments seem almost intentionally murky.

Those things do not have to come at the cost of world building. As I said before, if I see a loading screen it always takes me out of the world. If it's all seamless, then it's much more immersive.

And another…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 26, 2013, 17:11 (3889 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I guess it'd be the far Cry games then? Even the first lets you play in more than 2km^2 of space.

Ah yes, Far Cry is a much much better example. I always did envy its large beautiful islands.

Those things do not have to come at the cost of world building. As I said before, if I see a loading screen it always takes me out of the world. If it's all seamless, then it's much more immersive.

What if a loading screen seamlessly continues the story as in this Mass Effect 3 cutscene? At 9 minutes in it goes from an in engine cutscene, to a prerendered loading screen (starting with the first exterior shot of the escape pod) and then back to in engine (starting with the pod crashing through the wall) all very nearly seamlessly. It would even seamlessly transitions from that second in engine cutscene to regular Mass Effect gameplay at around 11 minutes if it weren't a cutscene only video.

While loading scenes like that can't be used often, since they have to be in between events that only happen once, I'd say immersion was very well preserved.

And in the same thread...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 14:42 (3887 days ago) @ kapowaz

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=13624

Another perfect example, where he a. assumes that a throwaway quote about drawing inspiration from other games implies that this game is primarily influenced by one particular named example, b. isolates a single feature of that game, c. states that without said feature Destiny will not be as good.

It's utter nonsense.

Which quote are you talking about? Also, the conclusion is nothing new, he's always been for as much of the game world as possible being reachable by the player character, something I agree with.

Derp

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 13:47 (3887 days ago) @ Avateur

"Cody's worried this game that is not like Vanquish or Gears of War at all will suck"

Oh my gosh Cody never said the word suck or even implied that it will and never even said he's worried about if it will or won't suck!

He did on other occasions, which I think is where the comment about Gears of War and Vanquish came from.

Look at you putting words into his mouth and contorting his intent, that sole intent being comments on the weapon system in a comparative situation as opposed to even discussing the game as a whole or even combat in general!

The intent seemed negative. Thinking back now it actually wasn't that negative, but it seemed that way, and I bet it did to kapowaz too. I think you're right about overreacting though.

But Derp

by kapowaz, Friday, August 23, 2013, 10:42 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody:

the ability to carry 3 weapons will be much more restricted than something like Vanquish or Gears of War … certainly more boring than the more traditional system

Me:

Cody:

Never made that argument.

[image]

It is exactly the argument you made. Why can't you acknowledge your own assertions? I think there is space for criticism or concern over how the weapons system will work, but comparison to completely different genre games isn't how you go about it.

I'm mostly interested in how things like ammo will work. Will we be constrained from overusing our special/heavy weapons, and if so how? Will we be able to chop and change in combat, picking up discarded weapons from our foes? How easily can we swap our weapons around with those we've stashed from previous forays?

But Derp

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 23, 2013, 10:50 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

Cody:

the ability to carry 3 weapons will be much more restricted than something like Vanquish or Gears of War … certainly more boring than the more traditional system

Me:

Cody:

Never made that argument.

[image]

It is exactly the argument you made. Why can't you acknowledge your own assertions? I think there is space for criticism or concern over how the weapons system will work, but comparison to completely different genre games isn't how you go about it.

I'm mostly interested in how things like ammo will work. Will we be constrained from overusing our special/heavy weapons, and if so how? Will we be able to chop and change in combat, picking up discarded weapons from our foes? How easily can we swap our weapons around with those we've stashed from previous forays?

Because God dammit that's not what I said. I said the system they put in place would be more restrictive than GoW or Vanquish. I never said it HAD TO HAVE THE SAME SYSTEM OR IT WOULDN'T BE GOOD. It could have a different but BETTER system. Point to the sentence where I said it will suck because it doesn't have the specific system GoW or Vanquish had?

Reading comprehension. Do you people have it?

Do I have to lay out what I said symbolically?

A
A>B
Therefore rather A than B
THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT CAN'T BE C, OR THAT IT MUST BE B!

Idiots.

But Derp

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 04:00 (3890 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A
A>B

This didn't escape me. But you also said that since B is sub-optimal to A, it will result in a more boring game. That's not how it works though, because those aren't the only variables changing between the games.

But since you like diagrams, here's one for you too.

[image]

But Derp

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 13:35 (3887 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because God dammit that's not what I said. I said the system they put in place would be more restrictive than GoW or Vanquish. I never said it HAD TO HAVE THE SAME SYSTEM OR IT WOULDN'T BE GOOD. It could have a different but BETTER system. Point to the sentence where I said it will suck because it doesn't have the specific system GoW or Vanquish had?

Reading comprehension. Do you people have it?

[image]

Do I have to lay out what I said symbolically?

A
A>B

Idiots.

I'm not familiar with the symbol system you're using or the logical vocabulary (therefore rather...?)-- and yes, I know symbolic logic.

Weapon Drop Pods

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 23, 2013, 10:50 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

For some reason the weapon drop pods from Halo popped into my mind. Imagine if you could call down a drop pod from your ship with a weapon you request that's not currently in your inventory?

Meaningful choices

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 03:35 (3890 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Alright, let's break this down.

Good game design is all about meaningful choices. With that in mind, when you start thinking about how to design your weapon system you have to consider what choices you want the player to have to make, and how the kind of world they're playing in will affect, and be affected by those choices.

An unrestricted, x-slot, n-weapon system gives the player (n^x-n)/x total combinations. For a game with 10 different weapons and 2 slots that means 45 different combinations. For a game with 10 different weapons and 3 slots, that means 330 different combinations. At this point, the number of choices is so large as to present real problems for most players in terms of how they should approach the decision of what to carry, and issues like choice paralysis creep in. Worse, players might feel tempted to seek outside help to validate or assist with their decision. This decision is made all the more difficult in that the situations of gameplay will almost certainly dictate choices in certain moments. Of those 330 combinations, there are bound to be some pretty poor ones: walking around with 3 types of close-range weapon isn't likely to work out that well. For any game designer worth their salt, this is a failure in how the system has been designed.

Applying this specifically to Destiny, the number of weapons available is intended to be very large indeed, but with one big caveat: weapons will exist within a much smaller set of weapon categories, and so really the variations mostly exist within those categories. A combination of three different types of pulse rifle isn't really offering the player much variation in play style, and so that choice isn't really meaningful. This is a problem the Call of Duty games suffer from, where there are only subtle distinctions between most weapons of a given type, making it difficult for the newer or less experienced player to make a meaningful choice about whether to carry rifle X or rifle Y. This in mind, the real choice comes from allowing a player to choose one weapon from one category, one weapon from another category, and another from another category. Mathematically speaking, where there are a, b, and c weapons in each category, the number of possible choices is then simply a × b × c. If we assume there are 5 distinct types of primary weapon, 5 types of special weapon and 5 types of heavy weapon, that still gives you a pretty large 125 possible combinations, but with the added benefit that the player has some certainty that their choice is reasonably effective across a range of gameplay situations.

In actual fact, the number of potential choices is even higher than this, since within any given type of weapon there will exist who knows how many individual weapon, with their own subtleties and nuances. One thing that was apparent from the ViDoc was that some of the weapons are essentially visually identical except for the paint job featured, or the kind of scope attached. This raises the possibility of players being able to customise their weapons according to taste and playstyle, which not only offers opportunity for meaningful choice (it's a lot easier to decide which scope you prefer when you know it's the only variable being changed), but also gives players a mechanism for expressing their character's individuality, something you specifically expressed that this setup would inhibit.

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:34 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Hmm, it's weird, seeing wildly different responses to the game.
I do worry how you maintain good shooter combat and factor in significant loot/rpg mechanics.

I've found the combat in Borderlands very snoozy/trudge-worthy.

Staying positive on this though, I'm optimistic that they'll get it mostly right [to my tastes].

FIRST LOOK AT COMPETITIVE MP!!!

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 12:53 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Seriously guys, nobody mentions this??? Possibly the largest selling point of the game! Looks insane, complicated, yet familiar.

Also the scene with the three guardians changing armors made me cry a little. Well done Bungie

Woah there cowboy

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 12:57 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Seriously guys, nobody mentions this??? Possibly the largest selling point of the game!

I wouldn't go that far, going to be a much bigger rodeo this time around.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 13:00 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Seriously guys, nobody mentions this??? Possibly the largest selling point of the game!

Is it? While I hope multiplayer is good I'm much more excited about a huge coop matchmade world than any competitive multiplayer.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:15 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is it? While I hope multiplayer is good I'm much more excited about a huge coop matchmade world than any competitive multiplayer.

Yeah I look forward to almost ignoring it completely when there's so much more exciting cooperative activities they've put on the table.

"Ah, those poor Guardians stuck in their endless wars. When our real problems are out here in the Wild..."

*EDIT: Changed my wording in the first sentence as it sounded like I was originally saying I was going to ignore the competitive mode along with everything else, which is definitely not the case. :)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 10:55 (3887 days ago) @ Leviathan

Yeah I look forward to almost ignoring it completely when there's so much more exciting cooperative activities they've put on the table.

"Ah, those poor Guardians stuck in their endless wars. When our real problems are out here in the Wild..."

*EDIT: Changed my wording in the first sentence as it sounded like I was originally saying I was going to ignore the competitive mode along with everything else, which is definitely not the case. :)

IDK, it would be nice to play as something besides Guardians in competitive multiplayer. I look forward to a new equivalent of "aaagh stupid dinos!".

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 13:28 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Possibly the largest selling point of the game! Looks insane, complicated, yet familiar.

Uh, if that was the case they'd probably have focused on it a tad more, rather than a light mention.
I do hope it'll be good, but going by everything they've said to that, it's hardly the focus.

2 early 2 tell

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 13:47 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Without even a release date, I stand by my assumptions. Obviously those in the know (us ) are expecting a great and innovative moment in gaming history. But for the rest of society, most of todays' games don't sell (or rather won't last) without a longer, addicting or competitive multiplayer aspect.

I guess what I'm getting at is Bungie makes amazing mp games, maybe they haven't said anything for a REASON.

2 early 2 tell

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 13:55 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

This time I think Bungie is putting in a lot of continuing effort into single player unlike.... Well unlike anything they've done before really. I don't think any of us mean to say multiplayer should be discounted (at least I'm not!) and I fully expect a multiplayer centric ViDoc at some point, but I think single player gets to shoulder a good amount of the keep them coming back burden this time.

Of course that doesn't mean you're wrong either. Who before Mass Effect 3's release thought that ME3 multiplayer sounded like an even remotely good idea? I was of the opinion that it was the worst idea possible for the series before release, yet I'm planning to play it after work today going on (past?) a year later! And in Bungie's case we know they can make good multiplayer!

2 early 2 tell

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:18 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Of course that doesn't mean you're wrong either. Who before Mass Effect 3's release thought that ME3 multiplayer sounded like an even remotely good idea? I was of the opinion that it was the worst idea possible for the series before release, yet I'm planning to play it after work today going on (past?) a year later! And in Bungie's case we know they can make good multiplayer!

If you ever want to play ME3 multiplayer together hit me up, haven't even touched it on my 360 (and barely on PC) because I have no one to play with.

2 early 2 tell

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 15:36 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Side note about ME3. My only experience with multiplayer was with the demo, and while the gameplay was surprisingly good, all things considered, the thing that completely turned me off of ever wanting to touch it was their method of customization. If I'm forced to play the game to collect space bux so that I can buy things to customize my character, I want to choose exactly what I'm buying. Not buy a pack and pray the random trash inside is what I want. That's bad enough when it comes to weapons, but it felt inexcusable when it came to characters/classes and visual customization options. The situation was only magnified when you started getting crap you couldn't even use, or didn't care about, and in multiples. So in the end, your only drive to play multiplayer was to keep buying packs of random crap in the small hope that eventually you'll be able to build the character you actually wanted to play in the first place.

I finally started playing ME3 two weeks ago. Maybe all this has changed in the year or more since launch. That'd be nice. But unfortunately, I don't care enough to find out. I am thankful, however, that Extended Cut lowered the EMS from 4000 to 3100. It means I never have to touch multiplayer to have every ending as an option.

ME3 Multiplayer

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 16:17 (3893 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 16:22

Yes, the unlocking of classes and to a less extent weapons is kinda crappy, but I think it's something of an overreaction to rule out the entire mode because of the player investment system. ME3 multiplayer could have been like the half baked, no fun, completely unnecessary crap that shipped with the otherwise excellent Tomb Raider. But it wasn't, and I applaud the devs for managing to build something I thought was impossible, and for building it well enough that it will almost certainly play a large role in the future of the series.

ME3 Multiplayer

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 18:12 (3893 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Overreaction, maybe, but if I can't play the game the way I want from the word go, and there isn't a clear path to being able to play the game the way I want, what's the point? I'm not enjoying the game if I'm spending all my time playing a class I don't like, just on the off chance the next pack will give me the class I do like. I also never approved of the decision to basically force players of what had been for the last two installments a single player game, to play multiplayer, just to have enough assets in the single player portion to see every end game.

They did a few things right. They proved the gameplay could be conducive to a specific type of multiplayer. They proved it was fun. Unfortunately, I feel the things they did wrong outweigh what they did right (unlocks, tying it into single player as they did).

I have no doubt you're right, and it'll make a return in future installments. There's a solid foundation to be built upon. I just hope in the future it isn't something forced upon players who bought the game primarily to finish out their story, and customization actually makes sense. Until then, I'm happy I can safely choose to ignore it without any ramifications.

2 early 2 tell

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:30 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

those in the know (us ) are expecting a great and innovative moment in gaming history

Careful now, you're beginning to sound like this guy. :-P

it comes full circle

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 02:59 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

2 early 2 tell

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 17:16 (3893 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Without even a release date, I stand by my assumptions. Obviously those in the know (us ) are expecting a great and innovative moment in gaming history.

Not sure what's innovative about a game derivative of Borderlands, with behind the scenes matchmaking of a shitty indie game. I'm sure it will be fun for a lot of people, but I'm not seeing the innovation.

Now, if you couldn't save in Destiny, that would be innovative.

2 early 2 tell

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 17:29 (3893 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This post... You're trying too hard.

I just can't tell when you're joking

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 01:57 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 23, 2013, 10:41 (3892 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I honestly, 100% no joke believe that an MMO game designed to be played without saving would be a major improvement over the ones that currently exist.

Yeah I think that'd be cool too

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:20 (3891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But just just won't say "better".

Also this isn't an MMO.

Yeah I think that'd be cool too

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 12:37 (3891 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It's a silly quibble. It isn't WoWclone, but its focus is multiplayer interactions, the players are constantly connected to the world, there are persistent elements of it . . . it's an MMO, definitively. Not MMORPG, which carries a different set of expectations, but simply a large-scale multiplayer game which does not rely on actively joining servers in order to interact with other players.

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 03:46 (3890 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I honestly, 100% no joke believe that an MMO game designed to be played without saving would be a major improvement over the ones that currently exist.

Based on your experience of not actually playing MMOs.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 20:02 (3889 days ago) @ kapowaz

Any why am I expected to play games in a bad genre?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 15:03 (3887 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Any why am I expected to play games in a bad genre?

because you're talking about them like you understand them

HNNNG! Soooo awesome!

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:11 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I must play this game. The wait is killing me. Anybody got a cryogenic chamber I can borrow?

HNNNG! Soooo awesome!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:13 (3893 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I must play this game. The wait is killing me. Anybody got a cryogenic chamber I can borrow?

I have a small one on top of my fridge...

HNNNG! Soooo awesome!

by Avateur @, Friday, August 23, 2013, 20:12 (3891 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Bad idea. It malfunctions and you end up 500 years in the future dealing with scientific humans and otters.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:32 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

The only thing I saw, obviously, was what looked like a bubble shield in competitive MP.

Pre-order cancelled.

Also I saw a weapon with a Future War Cult skin. When was it revealed that FWC, New Monarchy, Dead Orbit etc. were just weapon manufacturers a la Borderlands? Did I miss that? I was hoping they'd be more substantial entities involving some kind of membership or something.

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:44 (3893 days ago) @ Schooly D

Also I saw a weapon with a Future War Cult skin. When was it revealed that FWC, New Monarchy, Dead Orbit etc. were just weapon manufacturers a la Borderlands? Did I miss that? I was hoping they'd be more substantial entities involving some kind of membership or something.

Could they not be a big organisation that makes/labels their soldier's weapons as well as whatever else they do?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:47 (3893 days ago) @ Schooly D

Also I saw a weapon with a Future War Cult skin. When was it revealed that FWC, New Monarchy, Dead Orbit etc. were just weapon manufacturers a la Borderlands?

No such thing has been revealed.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 15:00 (3893 days ago) @ Schooly D

A weapon cropped up with a FWC skin during e3, displayed on some screens while people queued.

That doesn't mean it's a gun manufacturer. It could just be a skin associated with that organisation and perhaps unlocked by joining?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 16:14 (3893 days ago) @ Schooly D

The only thing I saw, obviously, was what looked like a bubble shield in competitive MP.

Truth.

Pre-order cancelled.

Lies.

Going to reach way, way, waaaaaay out on a limb here; and say you're playing dumb.

Because you know you know better.

That shield could have been anything, from a sphere-o-melee-buffin' to a power drain, and things are being played close enough to the vest that really, the only thing you can safely say at this point is that there is currently a similar visual effect being played with for one of the powers.

But flip all the tables you want.

~M

Indeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 16:18 (3893 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

New locations (also, GAME LOOKS AWESOME I WANT)

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 14:53 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Obviously the black garden is the most badass of the new locations in the vidoc, but I noticed a bunch that were either entirely unfamiliar or semi-familiar. I think I saw the moon base that they've shown in a couple other locations...

also, I MUST HAVE THIS GAME!!!! WHY BUNGIE WHYYYYYYYYYYY DO YOU TORMENT ME SO?!

Ok... *readjusts tie* moving along.

I want to know ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 16:20 (3893 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits
edited by Kermit, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 16:57

What are these runes that we are decoding (see 3:36)? Is this some variation of what Cody was talking about a while back?

Regardless, I really enjoyed the vidoc, despite the heavy reliance on gameplay and locations we've seen.

I don't want to see too much. ;)

EDIT: After repeated viewings, I'm thinking decoding runes are simply an objective. A few seconds later you see "KILL PHOGOTH" which I assume is some sort of boss.

Things I found interesting *IMG HVY*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 20:43 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

[image]

Apparently you can have 3 Space Magics?

[image]

Some kind of dash attack and a grenade. Also notice he has 3 assault rifles in his slots, maybe just a dev thing, or maybe you can potentially put assault rifles in any slot?

[image]

New SPACE MAGIC seen, and its icon. Also Runes decoded seen on the left, giving us a hint at the kind of missions we'll get. Also notice the XP bar on the right.

[image]

Another new Space Magic, and another mission "Kill Phogoth", who I would assume is the big guy in the back.

[image]

Some kind of bubble, looks it might be blocking shots, so return of bubble shield? Also, notice this guy only has one space magic slot, if it is a space magic slot since it has a grenade icon.

[image]

Before

[image]

After.

The many assault rifles:

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

The real question I have is how much of this (if any) is customizable by the player? Also what is the 114? Maybe just a dev screen thing, maybe distance to objective?

[image]

HAAKEN? Gun maker possibly?

[image]

City Sector 08 Armory. Interesting.

[image]

I think we've seen this symbol before, I think it says Act?

[image]

Treasure chest for all the loots!

[image]

I just really like this image.

by DJenser, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 10:07 (3888 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]Some kind of dash attack and a grenade. Also notice he has 3 assault rifles in his slots, maybe just a dev thing, or maybe you can potentially put assault rifles in any slot?

On closer examination, it looks like the Primary slot has an AR, but the Special slot has a Fusion Rifle & the Heavy slot has a Sniper.

[image]HAAKEN? Gun maker possibly?

Exactly what I thought... I still haven't figured out what the character(s) to the right of it are, though... They kinda look like "BS".

[image]I think we've seen this symbol before, I think it says Act?

Actually, I think it says "A-1"; short for "Assault-1", which is also written on the side of the weapon.

[image]I just really like this image.

Agreed 100%... Shots like this make me pray that Bungie will include a Theater mode for the game.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 10:14 (3888 days ago) @ DJenser

[image]I think we've seen this symbol before, I think it says Act?

Actually, I think it says "A-1"; short for "Assault-1", which is also written on the side of the weapon.

Ah, good catch!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 12:19 (3887 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm not feeling great about seeing all those infinity symbols.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 12:39 (3887 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I have a feeling that's just there for Dev convenience while playtesting.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 14:55 (3887 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It could just be a dev build option so they don't run out of ammo while trying to test things.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 12:38 (3887 days ago) @ Xenos

The many assault rifles:

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

The real question I have is how much of this (if any) is customizable by the player? Also what is the 114? Maybe just a dev screen thing, maybe distance to objective?

If you look closely, I think these might all be the same rifle. And the different permutations are all player customization.

Different sights, skins, ammo counters, ect. All customized by the player.

A Little Bit of Anaylsis *IMGS*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 23, 2013, 00:46 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, August 23, 2013, 00:49

About an hour ago I noticed that DBO already had a Quicktime frame by frame-able version of the new ViDoc up. Great job DBO admin-peoples! With my first couple of watch throughs I wasn't sure there would be enough to bother posting. The ViDoc was nice for the amount of stuff it clarified, but I wasn't sure if it showed a whole lot of truly new stuff. Then I started taking my screenshots… There was some neat stuff shown!

First off, The Hive. While the ViDoc covered a lot of stuff in a fairly quick manner, I'm kinda thinking of it as our first introduction to the Hive. First off enemy types:
[image]
Here we seem to have two classes of Hive warriors. I'm thinking we're looking at base class, Grunt level fighters up front and behind, and a couple of next level up, perhaps Jackal class warriors who carry guns and have some armor for protection in the center of the group and on the right.

The base level warriors don't seem too weak though, check out their green glowy melee attack:[image][image]
Yikes!

They might also have some sort of… sonic attack… seen just for a frame or two here:
[image]
The "sound waves" don't move much, if at all, and vanish very quickly, so it's unclear what they are. They do seem to be coming from that warrior that's leaned over though… as if he's screaming?

Next we have the big Hive Monster who we only get to see once. Still, he's scary! [image]

Then, this ViDoc revealed two new enemies to us. This Dragon Priest looking dude who I'm calling a Floater until Bungie corrects me seems to use space magic and almost certainly likes ranged attacks:
[image]

And finally there's the fairly large Phogoth who seems big enough to be a serious challenge. Possibly even on the level of a Spider Tank?
[image]

Hive forces seem fairly well rounded so far, though I wonder if they have any flying things.

A few other random things:

- My favorite mystery, that of the blue beams, make another appearance. We've seen this blue beam striking the pedestal before and releasing wispy black stuff, but we've also seen the black stuff before:

[image]

I would like to note we've seen another example of black wispy stuff though:

[image]

It seems like a good guess that the wispy stuff belong to Race 5, the pyramid race, but what's it doing in an area belonging to The Hive? Could it be… causing The Hive or something? Whatever it is, The Hive probably isn't generating it itself, because we can clearly see a blue beam out the window here:

[image]

We now have Race 5 connected to both the Cabal and Hive via blue beams, pyramids, and wispy black stuff. Could they be the ones who crushed Humanity during the Golden Age? If so, what are they still doing around our solar system?

Let's see… what else? Well, I really loved this explosion:

[image]

Once again everything Bungie shows is on PlayStation or Sony related:

[image]
Secretive exclusive partnership anyone?

And finally, in yet another example of making 3D play spaces out of concept art we have the buried city on Mars:
[image]
vs.
[image]
Look at that moon! Wow!

Duncan was right about Assault 1

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 03:01 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Friday, August 23, 2013, 03:11

It looks like this gun from 3:37 and that Red Death WIP shot from last week are variations on the same model. All those guns from 1:25 as well. The skins, scopes, and accessories make a huge difference.

[image]

[image]

by DJenser, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 10:15 (3888 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

[image]
The weird thing about this gun is that, despite having "Assault-1" and "A-1" written all over it, it's been named as the "Monitor S-11"...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 10:35 (3888 days ago) @ DJenser

[image]
The weird thing about this gun is that, despite having "Assault-1" and "A-1" written all over it, it's been named as the "Monitor S-11"...

Probably just another manufacturer then I would guess.

All aboard the hype train!

by GrimBrother IV, Friday, August 23, 2013, 04:27 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I cant freakin help it. That bit about the armour and weapons? Forget about it. are we there yet?

Outfitst: Not the thing I thought would get me most excited

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 04:36 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Those outfits? I honestly can't wait to shape my guardian's identity over time.

tough bit with the spam filter

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 23, 2013, 09:37 (3892 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I don't know when it gets through and therefor wasn't able to fix the typo :-(

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 23, 2013, 06:55 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

uh, Glorious Grizzled One, you put the wrong video on the front page

The what now?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 23, 2013, 07:20 (3892 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Friday, August 23, 2013, 08:42 (3892 days ago) @ General Vagueness

uh, Glorious Grizzled One, you put the wrong video on the front page

I assume this is aimed at me - but the only video I put on the front page yesterday was the RUL one... and it's definitely right.

Once again, you suggest we've done something wrong but you haven't made it very clear what you're talking about.

I can't even handle how amazing this game is

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Friday, August 23, 2013, 16:10 (3892 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

- No text -

... looking

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 12:05 (3891 days ago) @ Mix

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread