DBO, You're My Only Hope. AKA: Talk to me about chairs... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 12:45 (2424 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:00

My happy, comfortable, all wood + cushion Pier 1 wide circular swivel chair just self destructed.

[image]

I need a new seat recommendation.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Ragashingo.

DBO, You're My Only Hope.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 12:47 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I need a new char recomendation.

[image]

edit: you may have thunk that you got away with your typo by quickly editing your post... I'm to fast though yo!

Start here

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 12:55 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Start here

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:01 (2424 days ago) @ unoudid

Not quite what I was looking for. See image above. Or suggest an actual comfortable chair. ;)

Start here

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:03 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

That's all I got.

Getting warmer.... I think...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:06 (2424 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Warmer? Then Speed already had you covered!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 15:31 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Who knew?

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Friday, September 15, 2017, 13:02 (2423 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I did not expect a thread about chair recommendations to be so entertaining!
..I should have known better :)

Who knew?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 15, 2017, 14:23 (2423 days ago) @ Dame117

Heh. I did. I knew we had a few entertaining people who would make fun / historical / amusing suggestions. And I think I even found a chair I like / can afford! :)

Serious suggestions

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:54 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Go find a used office furniture dealer and buy a refurbished chair. I'm a fan of the Steelcase Leap or Amia chairs.

https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/leap/
https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/amia/

Should be in the 300-400 range for a used one.

An office chair is one thing you don't really want to go cheap on.

Serious suggestions

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:56 (2424 days ago) @ unoudid

Go find a used office furniture dealer and buy a refurbished chair. I'm a fan of the Steelcase Leap or Amia chairs.

https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/leap/
https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/amia/

Should be in the 300-400 range for a used one.

An office chair is one thing you don't really want to go cheap on.

Look at that monstrosity he's trying to replace. I can't speak for him, but it doesn't look like he wants an office chair.

Fine

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:02 (2424 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

Fine

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:06 (2424 days ago) @ unoudid

These are surprisingly expensive.

But man....how awesome would it be.

Do it Raga! DO IT!

Thanks for the chuckles

by telemachus, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:06 (2424 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

That looks awesome!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:14 (2424 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Fine

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:24 (2424 days ago) @ unoudid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725QPMBV

And you can put it in your pocket later.

Fine

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:35 (2424 days ago) @ Kermit

The name of that product reprogrammed my brain a la the nam-shub in Snow Crash.

Fine

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:47 (2424 days ago) @ Kermit

Last year I had some company guys visiting from Italy. They wanted me to take them to an American mall so they could buy some gifts to take back with them. Along one of the corridors they had some of those chairs set out. One of the guys asked me why they were selling giant inflatable vaginas.

Fine

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 15:44 (2424 days ago) @ bluerunner

Last year I had some company guys visiting from Italy. They wanted me to take them to an American mall so they could buy some gifts to take back with them. Along one of the corridors they had some of those chairs set out. One of the guys asked me why they were selling giant inflatable vaginas.

And you said, if the shoe fits ...

badumtish!

DBO, You're My Only Hope. AKA: Talk to me about chairs...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:37 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If you've got a Baller Budget, get an Eames Lounger and ottoman.
[image]

But seriously,

(TL;DR - Go shopping, find something nice, you're worth it.)

I got tired of cheap chairs constantly breaking. I was probably buying a $150 office chair every year. So finally, I "splurged" and bought a $250 leather Serta office chair. 3 years in and it's still like brand new.

Cheap furniture sucks. Go to a furniture store (not walmart or target) and look around. Just like a car dealership, you can haggle them down and they are always running stupid gimmicky promotions.

Find a nice recliner that fits you. And if it's "leather" make sure it actually IS leather, not bonded/blended leather. It's cheaper but will tear down and look haggard quickly.

Consider the base. If it's a swiveling recliner, sometimes they are a metal frame with 4 legs, sometimes they are a wood circle. Over time, that wood base warps and could snap from reclining the seat and most of your weight is over the back side, instead of centered over the base. Avoid the wood.

Consider the reclining "lever." There is nothing wrong with the ol' slot machine arm. It's solid. Sometimes they have the plastic pull tab on the side. It will break. Sometimes they have the pull cord on the inside. It will break.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:51 (2424 days ago) @ ManKitten

If you've got a Baller Budget, get an Eames Lounger and ottoman.
[image]

But if you're on my kind of budget, try this.

That's actually been my computer chair for years now. I've completed several 12+ hour gaming sessions on that thing with no discomfort. Bonus: I only have to spend another $10 every few years when I come home from work to find it deflated because one of my cats decided to use it as a springboard and punched a few holes in it.

-Disciple

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:28 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If you do want an office chair, there's only one IMHO.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 15:34 (2424 days ago) @ Kermit

Wow, those have gotten cheap! The last one I bought (granted, it's been almost 10 years now) was over $800.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 15:40 (2424 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Wow, those have gotten cheap! The last one I bought (granted, it's been almost 10 years now) was over $800.

The one I've linked to is a refurbished. I've been sitting in the same one at work for 18 years. I should buy this one.

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, September 15, 2017, 05:38 (2423 days ago) @ Kermit

How is it on your hips?

My crappy chairs always end up with my hips hurting after 2 hours.

My current chair gives just enough lumbar support to prevent problems there. That was my bigger problem before the hip issue.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 15, 2017, 06:29 (2423 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

How is it on your hips?

My crappy chairs always end up with my hips hurting after 2 hours.

My current chair gives just enough lumbar support to prevent problems there. That was my bigger problem before the hip issue.

I'm not a good person to ask that question. I have hip dysplasia so my problems probably wouldn't be your problems. It's a very good chair with lots of support.

by Kuga, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 19:10 (2424 days ago) @ Kermit

I actually prefer the Herman Miller Embody. I use one at work.

At home I use a Steelcase Amia because $1,300 for a chair makes me laugh (at you Herman Miller. you're drunk).

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, September 15, 2017, 06:06 (2423 days ago) @ Ragashingo

All y'all with your $800 chairs. This was my longest used gaming chair and I've had it since 2005. I just can't use it in the house anymore because it smells like campfire smoke and has been left out in the rain a few times. Still, I only paid $30 for it back then, and it has always been comfortable.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-oversize-hard-arm-chair#repChildCatid=3418644

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 15, 2017, 06:30 (2423 days ago) @ bluerunner

That looks like a folding chair I might actually be able to extract myself from.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 15, 2017, 07:13 (2423 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I actually had one of these for years. Super comfortable, especially if you get the ottoman with it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 15, 2017, 07:38 (2423 days ago) @ Xenos

That looks... very good!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread