Thoughts on the new raid? *Leviathan Spoiler Thread* (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, September 15, 2017, 12:56 (2423 days ago)

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of the new raid so far!

I've only played through the first half or so, but I've watched videos of the whole thing. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The setting is interesting. It's probably my least favorite Raid in terms of the atmosphere and visual style of the locations, but I appreciate how different it is from the raids Bungie has released so far. I do miss the sense of awe and mystery of VoG, or even the sheer scale and intimidation of King's Fall. But still, I'm glad Bungie took the raid in a very different stylistic direction this time around. Plus it shows a side of Cabal society that we've never seen before, which is pretty cool.

How about everyone else?

Thoughts on the new raid? *Leviathan Spoiler Thread*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 15, 2017, 13:24 (2423 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I do miss the sense of awe and mystery of VoG

You'll never experience that again. That's just how it works with these things. But did you explore the underbelly? Plenty of mystery! Did you know you can skip the Standard fighting in the Hub? You can sneak your way right to the bathhouse or pleasure gardens.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 15, 2017, 13:31 (2423 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You'll never experience that again. That's just how it works with these things. But did you explore the underbelly? Plenty of mystery! Did you know you can skip the Standard fighting in the Hub? You can sneak your way right to the bathhouse or pleasure gardens.

CheapLEY found the path to the Gauntlet as well... But I now realize that doing the courtyard fight gives us a chest, so maybe we should be doing that, since we've got it all figured out...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 15, 2017, 14:18 (2423 days ago) @ Korny

Really? You get a chest every time? If so, that's worth it for extra chances at getting that shader. Also, that fight is actually really fun, I think, and now that we have it figured out, I don't think it'll be too bad.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 15, 2017, 14:25 (2423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Really? You get a chest every time? If so, that's worth it for extra chances at getting that shader. Also, that fight is actually really fun, I think, and now that we have it figured out, I don't think it'll be too bad.

I don't know for certain that we do, but it makes sense that you'd get rewarded for doing it "correctly" rather than taking a shortcut... I think we should try to do it right today, since we knocked it out fairly easily once we figured out all of the mechanics...

by Kahzgul, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 02:59 (2422 days ago) @ Korny

CheapLEY found the path to the Gauntlet as well... But I now realize that doing the courtyard fight gives us a chest, so maybe we should be doing that, since we've got it all figured out...

The 1st courtyard battle gave everyone in my raid a legendary engram that was "powerful reward" quality.

The 2nd courtyard battle gave everyone in my raid 500 glimmer.

So ymmv.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 09:29 (2422 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The 1st courtyard battle gave everyone in my raid a legendary engram that was "powerful reward" quality.

The 2nd courtyard battle gave everyone in my raid 500 glimmer.

So ymmv.

We dod the third Courtyard Battle just to see what we'd get, and while Kupkake got 1k glimmer, the rest of us got 500. On the bright side, we can knock it out in a single try now, so it's faster than taking the secret way in, and the fight itself still has high drop rates for stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 15, 2017, 14:16 (2423 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I love everything about it. I love that it's more about mechanics rather than sheer DPS. All of the encounters have been fun, I think. Lots of people on the Reddit seem to absolute hate the Pleasure Gardens, and I really enjoyed that encounter. It's so different from anything we've ever seen in Destiny and I love that. First landing on the Leviathan and realizing its scale is an incredible moment.

It's too early to tell, as we haven't finished it, but I like it a hell of a lot more than King's Fall so far.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 15, 2017, 14:21 (2423 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've only played through the first half or so, but I've watched videos of the whole thing. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The setting is interesting. It's probably my least favorite Raid in terms of the atmosphere and visual style of the locations, but I appreciate how different it is from the raids Bungie has released so far. I do miss the sense of awe and mystery of VoG, or even the sheer scale and intimidation of King's Fall. But still, I'm glad Bungie took the raid in a very different stylistic direction this time around. Plus it shows a side of Cabal society that we've never seen before, which is pretty cool.

How about everyone else?

Have you explored the Underbelly?! VoG had some neat spaces outside of combat, but mostly it was "well that was neat but there was nothing really there." The Underbelly of the Leviathan is massive and there are multiple secrets and puzzles to go along with the cool high tech / industrial / behind the scenes setting. And then there are the actual challenges! Each one has been complex but fun and nothing nearly so smotheringly clockwork-y a King's Fall.

Yeah, the gaudy gold surface of the Leviathan is not my thing, but there's a whole mess of stuff to see beneath that surface and beyond the actual Raid challenges that it sounds like you haven't even glimpsed yet.

For me, Leviathan has already surpassed Vault of Glass, both in actual challenges and in the level of exploration there is to do, and that's no easy feat!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 09:16 (2422 days ago) @ Ragashingo

How about everyone else?

Have you explored the Underbelly?! VoG had some neat spaces outside of combat, but mostly it was "well that was neat but there was nothing really there." The Underbelly of the Leviathan is massive and there are multiple secrets and puzzles to go along with the cool high tech / industrial / behind the scenes setting. And then there are the actual challenges! Each one has been complex but fun and nothing nearly so smotheringly clockwork-y a King's Fall.

Yeah, the gaudy gold surface of the Leviathan is not my thing, but there's a whole mess of stuff to see beneath that surface and beyond the actual Raid challenges that it sounds like you haven't even glimpsed yet.

For me, Leviathan has already surpassed Vault of Glass, both in actual challenges and in the level of exploration there is to do, and that's no easy feat!

You're talking more about actual mysteries to solve/stuff to explore, which is a very good point and absolutely worth noting. I'm talking more about a feeling of mystery, which is a far more nebulous thing to talk about :)

Even now, when I play VoG, I want to see what's on the other side of those caves, across the endless pits. There's something about it that is begging to be explored. A sense of wonder and danger.

Leviathan has already proven to be deeper in terms of actual secrets to find, and that's awesome. I'm just saying that nothing about the aesthetic design of the place makes me want to go looking for secrets. Just a personal preference, that's all :)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 15, 2017, 14:22 (2423 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've only played through the first half or so, but I've watched videos of the whole thing. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The setting is interesting.

I love the hub world aspect of it all. It really feels like something that you're free to tackle over the course of a week, rather than something that you're forced to slog through in one run.

I also think it's great how it's all about execution and teamwork rather than gear checks and complexity.

I like that it's not super punishing when somebody dies, or when someone isn't at the ideal light level. After the bath house, I realized that I was still wearing my rare Prophet Snow legs, and I said "screw it" and kept them on for the next encounter, since the game didn't punish me for it. That would have been pretty impossible in Destiny 1 with any new raid. Your skill is pretty much the only thing that might make you a liability.

The aesthetics are neat. Got a real Bioshock vibe from the place, and the lighting is great for screenshots, whether you're in the Underbelly or in the Pleasure house, it has a lot of variety...

Plus, this is one of the most satisfying raids so far, since a huge part of it is about becoming more efficient, rather than being good at pumping enemies full of ammo. By the time we beat the Pleasure House, we were a machine (two phases with a 48x damage stack on the first!).

by Kahzgul, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 03:01 (2422 days ago) @ Korny

I've only played through the first half or so, but I've watched videos of the whole thing. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The setting is interesting.

I love the hub world aspect of it all. It really feels like something that you're free to tackle over the course of a week, rather than something that you're forced to slog through in one run.

I also think it's great how it's all about execution and teamwork rather than gear checks and complexity.

I like that it's not super punishing when somebody dies, or when someone isn't at the ideal light level. After the bath house, I realized that I was still wearing my rare Prophet Snow legs, and I said "screw it" and kept them on for the next encounter, since the game didn't punish me for it. That would have been pretty impossible in Destiny 1 with any new raid. Your skill is pretty much the only thing that might make you a liability.

The aesthetics are neat. Got a real Bioshock vibe from the place, and the lighting is great for screenshots, whether you're in the Underbelly or in the Pleasure house, it has a lot of variety...

Plus, this is one of the most satisfying raids so far, since a huge part of it is about becoming more efficient, rather than being good at pumping enemies full of ammo. By the time we beat the Pleasure House, we were a machine (two phases with a 48x damage stack on the first!).

We haven't beat pleasure gardens yet, but we did clear the baths in ONE phase. BAM!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 06:28 (2422 days ago) @ Kahzgul

We haven't beat pleasure gardens yet, but we did clear the baths in ONE phase. BAM!

That's awesome! I suspected it was possible.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 11:36 (2419 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My group took two passes on the Baths when the encounter finally clicked just to complete it out, but got 84 stacks in the Gardens. Only didn't get it in one phase because one Guardian took to long reaching their dog. 6 Guardians burning on one hound with 1/3 health was funny.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread