Thoughts on Trials? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 09:12 (2422 days ago)

Played a few games of Trials of the Nine last night.
I'm not very fond of the crucible in general, but I was a HUGE fan of Trials of Osiris in D1. It's obviously very early still, but my first impression of Trials in D2 was not good at all. For me, it has lost just about everything that made Trials so much fun for me in D1. I don't think 4v4 works for the mode very well, nor does the gametype. The pre-match intro was cool the first time I watched it, but by the 2nd game I was already wishing I could skip it.

As I said, these are all very early impressions. I do want to spend some more time with it and see how it goes. But unless my opinion changes, I don't see Trials being something I'll want to go back to very often, which makes me a little sad.

How about everyone else? Impressions so far?

Thoughts on Trials?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 10:40 (2422 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Haven't played it yet, but I AM a fan that the mode is going to rotate. Trials in D1 was fun, but there was never any variety aside from the map, even after more than 2 years. I know a lot of people loved the refinement of one mode being active every week, but I like the added variety.

Thoughts on Trials?

by squidnh3, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 10:45 (2422 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm not very fond of the crucible in general, but I was a HUGE fan of Trials of Osiris in D1. It's obviously very early still, but my first impression of Trials in D2 was not good at all. For me, it has lost just about everything that made Trials so much fun for me in D1. I don't think 4v4 works for the mode very well, nor does the gametype. The pre-match intro was cool the first time I watched it, but by the 2nd game I was already wishing I could skip it.

I was a huge fan of D1 Crucible and Trials, and I have occasionally mentioned I haven't been very happy with the direction Bungie has been going with PvP.

My first impressions were not good at first, but after playing for a little longer (and having some more success), I'm a little happier. A couple of thoughts:

You have to consciously not do things that were successful in Destiny 1. D1 was often very rewarding to highly aggressive attacking moves, but D2 is not. It's much better to let the other team be the aggressor, and give some ground and then encircle (sort of a rope-a-dope). This means that...

Strategy is king. Especially with the Countdown gametype, your team needs a play, and you need to execute that play in a timely fashion, adjusting for what the other team does. Once our team actually figured out the map (having a new map for this is pretty annoying) and came up with a series of moves and countermoves, we were very successful. I'll try to post a description of what we were doing at some point - does anyone know of a good callout map yet?

I agree about the pre-match intro, it needs to be at least 2X speed, and doing a card now takes an incredibly long time with the length of the matches.

The emote display is just a distraction

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 12:25 (2422 days ago) @ squidnh3

did you notice that when it shows you each players emote it also displays every weapon they have equipped? I know many players were obsessive about knowing what the other team had. Now with locked loadouts you are told right up front and are told everything without frantically trying to inspect each player and wondering if they switched it mid match. Youre able to see it and plan out your strategy for how you might have to deal with it. I'm no good at Trials so it doesnt matter to me what weapons I'm getting killed with before I even have time to pull the trigger but I know those who obsess over it. The emote display is just an excuse for displaying all the other stuff.

The emote display is just a distraction

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 12:39 (2422 days ago) @ CougRon

did you notice that when it shows you each players emote it also displays every weapon they have equipped? I know many players were obsessive about knowing what the other team had. Now with locked loadouts you are told right up front and are told everything without frantically trying to inspect each player and wondering if they switched it mid match. Youre able to see it and plan out your strategy for how you might have to deal with it. I'm no good at Trials so it doesnt matter to me what weapons I'm getting killed with before I even have time to pull the trigger but I know those who obsess over it. The emote display is just an excuse for displaying all the other stuff.

Yeah, I appreciate the thought behind the intro, but it's just way too long. They could show a group shot of each team with their loadouts displayed all at once, rather than going through every player 1 by 1. Or they could just skip it entirely. If I care about my opponents loadouts, I can check during the loading screen. As it stands now, its a lot to wait through at the start of every single match IMO.

Thoughts on Trials?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 12:54 (2422 days ago) @ squidnh3

I was a huge fan of D1 Crucible and Trials, and I have occasionally mentioned I haven't been very happy with the direction Bungie has been going with PvP.

My first impressions were not good at first, but after playing for a little longer (and having some more success), I'm a little happier. A couple of thoughts:

You have to consciously not do things that were successful in Destiny 1. D1 was often very rewarding to highly aggressive attacking moves, but D2 is not. It's much better to let the other team be the aggressor, and give some ground and then encircle (sort of a rope-a-dope). This means that...

I think this is a big part of what is rubbing me the wrong way. Not just that it is different... but that it is different in a way that changes the flow of the game for the worse IMO. A lot of it comes down to 4v4 in place of 3v3. In D1 Trials, there was a great balance to the risk/reward strategic decisions that came into play. Staying with your teammates provided a certain strength in numbers, but left you equally open to flanking maneuvers. Splitting up from your team was risky, but had the potential to pay off in a big way. And the small team sizes limited the potential risk. If I went off solo, I might run into 1 opponent, or maybe 2, or worse case scenario all 3. 1v1 I can usually handle. I can even engage 2 enemies by myself and keep them busy long enough for my teammates to flank them. If I run into all 3 by myself, then I'm often screwed but not always, and the chances of that are low.

But with a 4v4 gametype, the benefits of staying all together start to outweigh the benefits of splitting up. A group of 4 will usually vaporize a lone player before they have time to escape, and 4v2 doesn't usually go much better. Even if I split from my team and successfully get into a good flanking position, the best I can usually hope for is to get 1 kill before the other 3 opponents spot me out of position and waste me (I've had better results than that once or twice, but only because the enemy team totally dropped the ball).

So what 4v4 tends to turn into is a series of long-range standoffs until somebody scores a kill, and then it becomes a route as the team with superior numbers overpowers the shorthanded team. Obviously there are exceptions to that, but more often than not, that is how 4v4 seems to play out in Destiny 2 in my experience. And I just find that stale and predictable.

Thoughts on Trials?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 13:02 (2422 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So what 4v4 tends to turn into is a series of long-range standoffs until somebody scores a kill, and then it becomes a route as the team with superior numbers overpowers the shorthanded team. Obviously there are exceptions to that, but more often than not, that is how 4v4 seems to play out in Destiny 2 in my experience. And I just find that stale and predictable.

Sounds like just what the sweaty pros wanted. Predicable. Anything unexpected or surprising is frowned upon. Because heaven forbid you have a game with a little variety.

I'm kind of missing the days where you always had a special. It could have worked with just a few adjustments!

Visuals

by electricpirate @, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 19:59 (2422 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Played a few games of Trials of the Nine last night.

As I said, these are all very early impressions. I do want to spend some more time with it and see how it goes. But unless my opinion changes, I don't see Trials being something I'll want to go back to very often, which makes me a little sad.

How about everyone else? Impressions so far?

I haven't touched any d2 thing yet (waiting for pc version but my pc just got nuked in a power surge, hopefully homeowners insurance come through) so I won't post gameplay thoughts.

But I watched a vid of the spire and flawless reward. Kind of looks like a super hi res version of my first 3D 3ds max scene. "Holy shit I love this primitives tool!". Which all kind of works? I can't tell if the dialog is supposed to be "profound" or just kind of dumb.

Thoughts on Trials?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 20:59 (2422 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Here's my quick run down:

- Games are too long. maybe cut down to 5 round wins instead of 6?
- Intro screen needs sped up. It was cool the first time. annoying on the 15th
- I like the revive mechanic.
- You have to run as a pack, lone wolfing it just is a bad idea now.
- Cards now take an extra 30 minutes or so which I'm not a fan of.
- The spire is really neat. I like that everyone gets to visit the space, even if you don't make it to the top.

I'm dead tired otherwise I'd post more.

Thoughts on Trials?

by Kahzgul, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 04:20 (2421 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My team went 3-3 tonight.

It was fun, but not nearly as tense as the previous trials was. The map is really interesting, and makes me wonder if there will be a different (and NEW) map each week? The volume of pvp maps in this game is really, really large.

I'll say that I like the game mode being bomb setting/defusing. This makes the games shorter with less cat and mouse since the tension to either plant or disarm is always present.

The new pvp in general, however, is great, and makes for far better combat than D1's one-shot-fest.

I also like that anyone with a win can go to the spire. That's nice. And boy is it a cool, alien landscape. I'm digging it so far!

Thoughts on Trials?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 15:06 (2421 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I didn't dislike it the way that you do, but I could never get a group to play Trials 1.1 anyway so maybe I don't know what I was missing.

Seems like a simple fix is to cut your own team from the into video. boom. half the length, people still see gear / Emotes

I would like revive to go from 15 sec lock out to 10 sec. Too few revives ever happened. (12 sec, maybe?)

I like the style of the spaces and the lady that throws me into the pit

The lore.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 18, 2017, 06:18 (2420 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I haven't been bitten by the Trials bug for D2 yet, but the lore has me wanting to get through it, just for my own satisfaction. That's the stuff I find really compelling.

~m

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread