Just some more random thoughts. *Long post* (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:12 (2421 days ago)

It's still entirely too early to be making sweeping judgments, but I'm feeling less sure about this game as time goes on.

On paper, this game is nearly perfect and everything I asked for. It fixes almost all of the issues I had with Destiny. You can get to the raid with zero grinding, which is amazing. I no longer have to chase random rolls on weapons--the gear is just the gear and I don't have to worry about it. Loot rains from the sky at an astonishing rate.

And yet . . .

Something feels wrong, and I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think I miss the old ways (other than grinding to be equipped for the raid).

I think the issue is the soft cap. I'm at the point where doing the weekly activities for Luminous Engrams is the only way to progress (save the odd exotic drop here and there). I'm at 282 or something, and all my engrams not decrypt at 277, meaning they just sharded. I think they were aiming for having folks experiment with weapons that drop and then infuse them upwards, but so far, I haven't felt a need to do so. Weapons don't feel distinct. Every hand cannon feels exactly like every other hand cannon, every scout rifle like every other scout rifle, etc. The only real exception for that seems to be auto rifles, and that's really only because rate of fire differences are immediately noticeable there.

I hated random rolls on gear in Destiny 1, but, looking back, I think that's what made new weapons feel so different and so good to get. That's not as exciting or fun in Destiny 2, and it sort of sucks. I feel less inclined to switch up my loadout and experiment than I ever have.

I appreciate everything they've done with Destiny in an effort to make things more player friendly and accessible. I really do. I think maybe they overcompensated, though. After getting to 265, the game now just feels like a weekly checklist. I no longer feel rewarded for doing whatever I want to do--if it's not the weekly for a Luminous Engram, it just straight up doesn't matter once you hit that soft cap.

Luke seemed to indicate that they want people chasing cosmetics now, instead of RNG weapons, and I can respect that. But even that's not implemented well. I like the new shader system quite a bit, but the shaders themselves feel pretty lackluster (the Raid shader is real good, though!). None of the ships and sparrows look very cool, and there aren't very many of them. I've also been pretty underwhelmed by the armor I've earned on my Warlock and Hunter, and I just keep getting the same three sets over and over again, so there doesn't seem to be much variety there, either.

It's a loot game with a lack of good loot.

I think Destiny 2 is almost undeniable a better game than Destiny 1, but I think I still prefer Destiny 1. Maybe that's just the nature of a sequel. Even knowing how limited Destiny 1 was, it still feels like it was something special, where anything could happen. Destiny 2 is packed with more things to do, but as a result, it feels less mysterious and special.

Remember Urzok in Skywatch? That was amazing. I can't remember who I was playing with during House of Wolves, but we hit Urzok, a Pack of Wolves, and a Public Event all at the same time, and it was absolute madness. It still sticks out in my mind. Now Patrol areas feel like that is happening all the time. It's filled with things popping off left and right. And that was amazing during the first week. Now it just seems rote, and I'm not even sure I'd notice if an Urzok like event happened.

Don't get me wrong, I still love playing the game. As has always been the story with this game, it's incredibly fun to play moment to moment, and that trumps all of these issues, and will for quite a while, I bet. The Nightfalls have been excellent, the Raid is fantastic, and I'm actually really looking forward to replaying it quite a bit. I've even had some fun in the Crucible by myself, which literally never happened in Destiny 1.

I still look forward to playing this game every day, I'm still very happy with the game, and I have no doubt there is still plenty left to discover and some cool events to come, but it feel somehow less mysterious and special than Destiny 1, and I'm ultimately not completely sure how I feel about it.

P.S. Anyone want to try the Nightfall for Rat King this evening? (:

AKA: “Sorry Bungie. I will not let you win.”

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:21 (2421 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

More like: "Here's some more random thoughts."

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:29 (2421 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This isn't about some imagined grudge I have with Bungie. These are just legitimately the thoughts and feelings I'm experiencing.

Just some more random thoughts. *Long post*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:32 (2421 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was thinking about this last night after we were done raiding…

How much will I be playing this game after I complete the raid for the first time? I hear mixed things about Trials… SO what will my Des2ny ritual look like?

The answer is that I probably won't play super frequently. And I'm super okay with that. Again, I cannot stress enough how awesome it has been to not have to grind or otherwise do repetitive, poor activities in order to advance. If the 'grind' is eliminated except for cosmetics, I am all for that. That way the people who bizarrely like grinding have something to do, while the folks who don't can safely ignore that aspect.

I feel like for the first time Destiny is purely about enjoying the world, story, and challenge. So I will be jumping in and raiding for fun, and certainly tackling the prestige difficulties when ready. But, no doing things over and over for drops. The fact that many exotics are unexotic and 'lame' helps me feel better about not getting them all.

Just some more random thoughts. *Long post*

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:40 (2421 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The answer is that I probably won't play super frequently. And I'm super okay with that. Again, I cannot stress enough how awesome it has been to not have to grind or otherwise do repetitive, poor activities in order to advance. If the 'grind' is eliminated except for cosmetics, I am all for that. That way the people who bizarrely like grinding have something to do, while the folks who don't can safely ignore that aspect.

I didn't like the fact that I had to do that Destiny, but I liked just jumping into the strike playlist for an hour and getting cool drops. I'd love for a cosmetic-based loot economy, I just don't think there's enough there to support that, and I don't think what is there is all that good.

I feel like for the first time Destiny is purely about enjoying the world, story, and challenge. So I will be jumping in and raiding for fun, and certainly tackling the prestige difficulties when ready. But, no doing things over and over for drops. The fact that many exotics are unexotic and 'lame' helps me feel better about not getting them all.

I agree with that in principle, but ultimately, I don't think that stuff is quite good enough. The campaign was fun to play through, but it was still a pale shade of any Bungie Halo campaign in terms of both story and mission/encounter design. There's still and odd mix of design goals in Destiny 2 that don't necessarily work well together.

^ This right here ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, September 18, 2017, 09:25 (2420 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was thinking about this last night after we were done raiding…

How much will I be playing this game after I complete the raid for the first time? I hear mixed things about Trials… SO what will my Des2ny ritual look like?

Cody just nailed what I believe to be the biggest and most important improvement they've made between D1 and D2. I'm not saying that the way Cody decides to engage with the game is the "proper" way or anything like that, but the fact that it is now an option at all.

In D1, if you wanted to experience the most challenging activities in the game, you would need to spend loads of time grinding to get there. And that grind was usually limited to a very narrow selection of activities. And if you wanted to have a flexible selection of gear to use during those endgame activities, the amount of grinding you'd need to do increased exponentially.

D2 is a totally different experience. In the 2 weeks since the game launched, I've already gotten 2 characters up above 280 light, with a 3rd character hovering around 240. But more important than the speed at which I've been able to get these characters leveled up is the fact that I have done nothing but play the game in whatever way I felt like playing at any given time. I've spent hours tooling around in patrol, or picking a planet and going through all the adventure missions, or wandering around the social spaces and taking in the sights. I've done some strikes, some crucible, a couple nightfalls, about half a raid, a bit of trials... I've experienced so much of what the game has to offer, and never have I run up against the kind of arbitrary barriers that were so prevalent in D1. And that is freaking awesome.

To Cody's point, some people will enjoy playing strikes over and over and over. Others will spend hundreds of hours in the crucible. Some will have weekly rituals with their friends like Nightfalls or Raids. Some players will live in Patrol or the story missions. But no matter your preferences, any of us will be able to do any of these activities without being required to spend obscene amounts of time playing other activities that we have no interest in.

There are a lot of things I could nitpick about if I wanted to. I think the new weapon loadout system sucks. I cringe at about 90% of the dialog in the game. The plot falls apart as soon as you put any thought towards it (all IMO, obviously). But at the end of the day, I can spend my time with Destiny 2 engaging with the activities that I actually want to engage with, and that is such a huge improvement over D1 that my minor gripes feel very minor by comparison.

Duh.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 21:19 (2421 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's still entirely too early to be making sweeping judgments, but I'm feeling less sure about this game as time goes on.

On paper, this game is nearly perfect and everything I asked for. It fixes almost all of the issues I had with Destiny. You can get to the raid with zero grinding, which is amazing. I no longer have to chase random rolls on weapons--the gear is just the gear and I don't have to worry about it. Loot rains from the sky at an astonishing rate.

And yet . . .

Something feels wrong, and I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think I miss the old ways (other than grinding to be equipped for the raid).

I think the issue is the soft cap. I'm at the point where doing the weekly activities for Luminous Engrams is the only way to progress (save the odd exotic drop here and there). I'm at 282 or something, and all my engrams not decrypt at 277, meaning they just sharded. I think they were aiming for having folks experiment with weapons that drop and then infuse them upwards, but so far, I haven't felt a need to do so. Weapons don't feel distinct. Every hand cannon feels exactly like every other hand cannon, every scout rifle like every other scout rifle, etc. The only real exception for that seems to be auto rifles, and that's really only because rate of fire differences are immediately noticeable there.

I hated random rolls on gear in Destiny 1, but, looking back, I think that's what made new weapons feel so different and so good to get. That's not as exciting or fun in Destiny 2, and it sort of sucks. I feel less inclined to switch up my loadout and experiment than I ever have.

I appreciate everything they've done with Destiny in an effort to make things more player friendly and accessible. I really do. I think maybe they overcompensated, though. After getting to 265, the game now just feels like a weekly checklist. I no longer feel rewarded for doing whatever I want to do--if it's not the weekly for a Luminous Engram, it just straight up doesn't matter once you hit that soft cap.

Luke seemed to indicate that they want people chasing cosmetics now, instead of RNG weapons, and I can respect that. But even that's not implemented well. I like the new shader system quite a bit, but the shaders themselves feel pretty lackluster (the Raid shader is real good, though!). None of the ships and sparrows look very cool, and there aren't very many of them. I've also been pretty underwhelmed by the armor I've earned on my Warlock and Hunter, and I just keep getting the same three sets over and over again, so there doesn't seem to be much variety there, either.

I think Destiny 2 is almost undeniable a better game than Destiny 1, but I think I still prefer Destiny 1. Maybe that's just the nature of a sequel. Even knowing how limited Destiny 1 was, it still feels like it was something special, where anything could happen. Destiny 2 is packed with more things to do, but as a result, it feels less mysterious and special.

Remember Urzok in Skywatch? That was amazing. I can't remember who I was playing with during House of Wolves, but we hit Urzok, a Pack of Wolves, and a Public Event all at the same time, and it was absolute madness. It still sticks out in my mind. Now Patrol areas feel like that is happening all the time. It's filled with things popping off left and right. And that was amazing during the first week. Now it just seems rote, and I'm not even sure I'd notice if an Urzok like event happened.

Don't get me wrong, I still love playing the game. As has always been the story with this game, it's incredibly fun to play moment to moment, and that trumps all of these issues, and will for quite a while, I bet. The Nightfalls have been excellent, the Raid is fantastic, and I'm actually really looking forward to replaying it quite a bit. I've even had some fun in the Crucible by myself, which literally never happened in Destiny 1.

I still look forward to playing this game every day, I'm still very happy with the game, and I have no doubt there is still plenty left to discover and some cool events to come, but it feel somehow less mysterious and special than Destiny 1, and I'm ultimately not completely sure how I feel about it.

I know I wasn't the only one saying it, but people literally made fun of me for saying this crap, and it continues to hold true. The PvP balancing, the removal of the grind, the lack of randomness, it literally makes the game worse.

This is a great example of internet people, and likely Bungie listening to them, making the game worse.

"DAE hate grinding?" Bingle removes guns good enough to grind for.

"Why do I have to do the nightfall 1000 times to get this one roll?" Bingle removes the roll.

"Nerf shotguns!" Bungie nerfs everything.

"Can we talk about how awesome the Urzok battle is?" Bungie makes basically everything you do have a big event going on at the time time.

The thing that made that stuff special is INFREQUENCY.

In making guns easier to get, Bungie had to nerf them and remove god rolls. In balancing the game for crucible whiners, Bungie had to remove any character of the guns. To make public events more interesting more often, they have to make them obnoxious.

The game gets worse and worse and worse in terms of what you're actually doing. Every single patch from 1.0 to now, including Destiny 2, with the exception of HOW shotgun buff, has literally made the gameplay worse.

Destiny 2 is great, arguably a better game than Destiny 1, and I love how much stuff there is, and the 30 seconds of fun is still better than any other game. It's just getting worse.

Duh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 23:43 (2421 days ago) @ Funkmon

I know I wasn't the only one saying it, but people literally made fun of me for saying this crap, and it continues to hold true. The PvP balancing, the removal of the grind, the lack of randomness, it literally makes the game worse.

Uh no. The removal of the grind and randomness made the game way better.

This is a great example of internet people, and likely Bungie listening to them, making the game worse.

In making guns easier to get, Bungie had to nerf them and remove god rolls. In balancing the game for crucible whiners, Bungie had to remove any character of the guns. To make public events more interesting more often, they have to make them obnoxious.

Good guns would harm a game like Destiny. If guns are randomly acquired, then you do not know how powerful a player's arsenal will be when they face a challenge. So you either you balance stuff around the good guns, which would make not having them suck, or you don't, which makes having them a breeze. The only way to do this is if there are fewer, more diverse guns acquired in predicable ways, so you can tailor challenges around mastering and exploiting them all. You can't do that if there's a chance your player will never get the gun!

You are in some sense correct, but only because Bungie only went half way with the fix. The solution is no random acquisition of guns at all. Then you can design 'God Roll' guns, that are godlike in specific circumstances, or while playing on a razor thin edge, and design your campaign around this.

Anything that moves the game away from avatar power towards player skill and knowledge is a plus. This doesn't mean you cannot power up your avatar; it just means you have to do it in defined and repeatable ways.

The game gets worse and worse and worse in terms of what you're actually doing. Every single patch from 1.0 to now, including Destiny 2, with the exception of HOW shotgun buff, has literally made the gameplay worse.

Define 'gameplay'. You need to be specific.

Destiny 2 is great, arguably a better game than Destiny 1, and I love how much stuff there is, and the 30 seconds of fun is still better than any other game. It's just getting worse.

How can it be a better game, yet getting worse?

Duh.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, September 18, 2017, 00:03 (2421 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Probably in the same way that you can say the game is better but you don't want to play it as much.

Duh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 18, 2017, 00:22 (2421 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Probably in the same way that you can say the game is better but you don't want to play it as much.

Since when is hours played indicative of quality? Especially when a game pads content and manipulates you / creates frictions to artificially extend playtime.

Vacation

by Funkmon @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 10:33 (2420 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Would you rather have a one day vacation with someone who has the same interests and sense of humor or 7 days where you get to do a bunch of new and interesting things, but have to go with an annoying friend?

I take the week.

Vacation

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, September 18, 2017, 10:42 (2420 days ago) @ Funkmon

Would you rather have a one day vacation with someone who has the same interests and sense of humor or 7 days where you get to do a bunch of new and interesting things, but have to go with an annoying friend?

I take the week.

I've tried the latter. I hated it, lol.

Vacation

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:13 (2420 days ago) @ Funkmon

I take the week.

I wouldn't. One awesome day. If I'm ever going to do something, I'm going to try to do it right. Planning 7 awesome days (or even 2 or 3) over more time is better than one mediocre week.

Duh.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, September 18, 2017, 13:20 (2420 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At least for me, if a game is fun I'll want to play it more.

Duh.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:01 (2420 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You are in some sense correct, but only because Bungie only went half way with the fix. The solution is no random acquisition of guns at all. Then you can design 'God Roll' guns, that are godlike in specific circumstances, or while playing on a razor thin edge, and design your campaign around this.

Anything that moves the game away from avatar power towards player skill and knowledge is a plus. This doesn't mean you cannot power up your avatar; it just means you have to do it in defined and repeatable ways.

I 100% agree with this. I think most people really liked how you had to do a mission in a specific way to aquire the Black Spindle (except if you never aquired it because it was too hard). Give all players access to a consistent set of base weapons for purchase, then make everything else something you have to "discover" (or ask the internet). While you're at it, drop the "light level" requirements. Not only is light level just grind (even if you are only doing things you like), but it makes the game slightly easier for the better players and harder for players who aren't as good. Just block off areas until a player reaches a certain level, and once you complete the campaign the whole game becomes your sandbox. Give players looking for more difficult challenges ways to find them (personal difficulty setting for patrol that reduces your damage maybe, modifiers for strikes, etc). Focus on gameplay, not numbers and Destiny would be a more fun game.

^ My opinion based on D1 since I haven't yet played D2.

I disagree with most of this

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 01:41 (2420 days ago) @ Funkmon

And yet . . .

I disagree. I'll go point by point below and then sum up at the end.

There are some really, really great guns. Just because you don't have to grind to get Sturm or the Rat King doesn't mean they aren't amazing. I've only gotten one raid gun so far, but the Conspirator is a BEAST of a scout rifle. Seven Six Five is very similar, but lacks the firefly type perk that makes Conspirator stand above the rest.

"Why do I have to do the nightfall 1000 times to get this one roll?" Bingle removes the roll.

Why is this bad? Doing the nightfall 1000 times sucked. Doing it one to five times to get the drop you want.. that's great.

Fundamentally altering the pvp landscape is not the same as nerfing everything. First, shotguns are in a great place right now and they're super strong. "but muh ammo" yes, it's not okay for everyone to have a shotgun all of the time - that's what made D1 pvp so toxic, so now only one of you can have that ammo all of the time (seriously, the next time you go into pvp with a full fireteam, designate your best sniper to be the only guy picking up power ammo. Your team will WRECK. Needing to adapt to a different landscape doesn't make the landscape bad. Personally, I am really enjoying the pvp right now. It's different, but it's fun.

"Can we talk about how awesome the Urzok battle is?" Bungie makes basically everything you do have a big event going on at the time time.

Again, why is this bad?

Oh, you only like awesome things that happen once in a long time rather than all the time. I understand that watching emergent gameplay unfold is super cool, and almost always better than simply watching a scripted event. But did you know this also happens in Destiny 2? I was on nessus doing a mining rig public event when someone's strike spawned in a tank and then a high value vex appeared and also a roving band of pikes came by... it was bedlam.

There are still god rolls, they just have names now. The Etana SI4 sidearm, for example. Fires a burst, has high stability and impact, and holds enough rounds to kill 3 guardians without reloading. This gun is my new crucible go-to in close ranges. It is SO GOOD and blows every other sidearm out of the water (yes, including Dreng). For exotics I like my Vigilance Wing, but Mida, Sturm, the Rat King... all great. There are others, but I'm not going to list all of my favorite guns here, and there are several guns I've got that I have yet to properly test out.

I will say that mida mini tool is so good that almost all other sub machine guns are auto-deletes for me because they can't compete.

Again, this is just a matter of opinion. I think D2 has done great things to improve gameplay. Access to the best weapons is gated behind quests rather than RNG (something they started in TTK). This makes the playing field more level, allowing skill to win the day rather than simply having had great RNG that one time.

Destiny 2 is great, arguably a better game than Destiny 1, and I love how much stuff there is, and the 30 seconds of fun is still better than any other game.

I agree!

It's just getting worse.

What? "It's a better game than D1" means literally the opposite of "it's getting worse" D2 is, imo, better. It's better on nearly every front, which is impressive to me. This feels like the game I thought D1 would be. And I love it.

In summation: Opinions are opinions and we all have our own. That being said, it seems to me that you haven't found or at least haven't noticed the differences in the weapons that make some rolls great and some simply decent. There are even a handful of complete garbage guns. It's no longer "oh my The Devil You Know rolled with outlaw and firefly, and yours rolled with kneepads and vortex, sucks to be you" but is instead "oh I got an Annual Skate - that's great because it always has outlaw - and you got The Old Fashioned, which is a fine gun but has no perks to really write home about." The 'different rolls' you pine for still exist, but each roll has its own specific name and graphics so you know what you're up against.

And I'm telling you, those little differences matter and they matter a LOT. Sturm, for example, is a 3 shot kill as long as one of those shots is a headshot. It's spectacularly good. Annual Skate needs 2 headshots to kill in 3 shots, and even then some high resilience enemies will still need a 4th hit. Rat King is like a billion shots (probably 7?) but fires really, really quickly, so it handles more like a sidearm than a hand cannon. So if you're a Hawkmoon guy from D1, I strongly suggest Sturm for a similar feel. If you haven't got that yet (why not?) you can get by with Annual Skate and feel okay, but you won't be quite as effective. Or you can use rat king for that sidearm feel without actually using a sidearm, plus, you know, occasional invisibility.

The places where I notice the biggest difference in weapon quality is scout rifles. MIDA is the bar against which all others must be measured, and it's a very high bar. Seven Six Five is close. The Conspirator is, imo, better. Lincoln Green is far worse. In PvE, Nameless Midnight is a weapon I prefer to Mida because of the high impact, but I wouldn't take it into pvp because of the slow RoF. Different rolls for different situations.

Even if every gun was good, that wouldn't be a problem, that would be great design. The fact that so many are viable for different situations is GREAT. I can realistically imagine having Does Not Compute and Nameless Midnight as my weapons. Sure, they're both scouts, but they are sooooo different. Put iron sights on one and a long zoom on the other and you're all set.

Anyway, my point is that gun differentiation is certainly there, and since that seems like your primary concern, I urge you to experiment with the weapons a bit more.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 08:27 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Of course, these thoughts are all premature. It's only been two weeks. Maybe I haven't received the right guns, maybe I just haven't experimented enough.

I'm very, very happy with the game overall. I'm not here complaining just to complain. I'm just trying to work through this weird feeling that it's just a little bit less special than it was in D1. Again, maybe that's just the nature of a sequel. Regardless, I'm sure I'll be playing for a long time to come.

by Funkmon @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 10:42 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

And yet . . .

There are some really, really great guns. Just because you don't have to grind to get Sturm or the Rat King doesn't mean they aren't amazing. I've only gotten one raid gun so far, but the Conspirator is a BEAST of a scout rifle. Seven Six Five is very similar, but lacks the firefly type perk that makes Conspirator stand above the rest.

Why is this bad? Doing the nightfall 1000 times sucked. Doing it one to five times to get the drop you want.. that's great.

Fundamentally altering the pvp landscape is not the same as nerfing everything. First, shotguns are in a great place right now and they're super strong. "but muh ammo" yes, it's not okay for everyone to have a shotgun all of the time - that's what made D1 pvp so toxic, so now only one of you can have that ammo all of the time (seriously, the next time you go into pvp with a full fireteam, designate your best sniper to be the only guy picking up power ammo. Your team will WRECK. Needing to adapt to a different landscape doesn't make the landscape bad. Personally, I am really enjoying the pvp right now. It's different, but it's fun.

Again, why is this bad?

Oh, you only like awesome things that happen once in a long time rather than all the time. I understand that watching emergent gameplay unfold is super cool, and almost always better than simply watching a scripted event. But did you know this also happens in Destiny 2? I was on nessus doing a mining rig public event when someone's strike spawned in a tank and then a high value vex appeared and also a roving band of pikes came by... it was bedlam.

There are still god rolls, they just have names now. The Etana SI4 sidearm, for example. Fires a burst, has high stability and impact, and holds enough rounds to kill 3 guardians without reloading. This gun is my new crucible go-to in close ranges. It is SO GOOD and blows every other sidearm out of the water (yes, including Dreng). For exotics I like my Vigilance Wing, but Mida, Sturm, the Rat King... all great. There are others, but I'm not going to list all of my favorite guns here, and there are several guns I've got that I have yet to properly test out.

I will say that mida mini tool is so good that almost all other sub machine guns are auto-deletes for me because they can't compete.

Again, this is just a matter of opinion. I think D2 has done great things to improve gameplay. Access to the best weapons is gated behind quests rather than RNG (something they started in TTK). This makes the playing field more level, allowing skill to win the day rather than simply having had great RNG that one time.

Destiny 2 is great, arguably a better game than Destiny 1, and I love how much stuff there is, and the 30 seconds of fun is still better than any other game.

I agree!

It's just getting worse.

What? "It's a better game than D1" means literally the opposite of "it's getting worse" D2 is, imo, better. It's better on nearly every front, which is impressive to me. This feels like the game I thought D1 would be. And I love it.

In summation: Opinions are opinions and we all have our own. That being said, it seems to me that you haven't found or at least haven't noticed the differences in the weapons that make some rolls great and some simply decent. There are even a handful of complete garbage guns. It's no longer "oh my The Devil You Know rolled with outlaw and firefly, and yours rolled with kneepads and vortex, sucks to be you" but is instead "oh I got an Annual Skate - that's great because it always has outlaw - and you got The Old Fashioned, which is a fine gun but has no perks to really write home about." The 'different rolls' you pine for still exist, but each roll has its own specific name and graphics so you know what you're up against.

And I'm telling you, those little differences matter and they matter a LOT. Sturm, for example, is a 3 shot kill as long as one of those shots is a headshot. It's spectacularly good. Annual Skate needs 2 headshots to kill in 3 shots, and even then some high resilience enemies will still need a 4th hit. Rat King is like a billion shots (probably 7?) but fires really, really quickly, so it handles more like a sidearm than a hand cannon. So if you're a Hawkmoon guy from D1, I strongly suggest Sturm for a similar feel. If you haven't got that yet (why not?) you can get by with Annual Skate and feel okay, but you won't be quite as effective. Or you can use rat king for that sidearm feel without actually using a sidearm, plus, you know, occasional invisibility.

The places where I notice the biggest difference in weapon quality is scout rifles. MIDA is the bar against which all others must be measured, and it's a very high bar. Seven Six Five is close. The Conspirator is, imo, better. Lincoln Green is far worse. In PvE, Nameless Midnight is a weapon I prefer to Mida because of the high impact, but I wouldn't take it into pvp because of the slow RoF. Different rolls for different situations.

Even if every gun was good, that wouldn't be a problem, that would be great design. The fact that so many are viable for different situations is GREAT. I can realistically imagine having Does Not Compute and Nameless Midnight as my weapons. Sure, they're both scouts, but they are sooooo different. Put iron sights on one and a long zoom on the other and you're all set.

Anyway, my point is that gun differentiation is certainly there, and since that seems like your primary concern, I urge you to experiment with the weapons a bit more.

I have. The best guns in Destiny 2 would have been a joke in 1.0. enough ammo to kill 3 guardians? Lul. A field scout Vanquisher killed 4.5 per mag and it was an auto rifle.

Any scout rifles with a 27 round mag, explosive rounds, and Firefly or an equivalent? No. Any 13 round mag hand cannons with Max impact, range, and outlaw? No. They are all between 12 and 20 rounds, and they are all similar handling. We now have some gimmicky weapons, like swords, or the sentinel beam, but they're for very specific uses.

The fact is, and I believe you're willingly misunderstanding me, that the best guns now are absolutely terrible compared to the best guns before TDB, and it isn't close.

The 30 seconds of fun of Destiny is getting worse. The game may be better. I would say a Lincoln MKZ is a better car than a Mazda Miata. I would still rather take the Miata out for a drive. Do you understand?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:31 (2420 days ago) @ Funkmon

The exotic armor perks are terrible. It's mostly shit that would have been standard perks on legendary gear in D1. Reloads hand cannons faster? For real? That's an exotic perk now?

Destiny 2 is a better overall package, for sure. Each part is just slightly less interesting than it used to be.

Again, I am absolutely loving the game. It's amazingly fun. It just feels a little more generic now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:34 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Look at Megaman X. The special weapons all do crazy shit. Plus, they have a secondary mode if you charge them with the X buster. They have tons of uses, from damaging enemies, to grabbing items, to navigation.

The reason they can be so 'good'? The game is designed knowing that you'll eventually have all of them.

Destiny showed why random perks that have significant effects are really detrimental to the game. Just look at all the god roll guns that caused problems in the crucible.

If you want 'better' and more unique gear without these detrimental effects, then predetermined acquisition is the only solution.

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 14:51 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The exotic armor perks are terrible. It's mostly shit that would have been standard perks on legendary gear in D1. Reloads hand cannons faster? For real? That's an exotic perk now?

Destiny 2 is a better overall package, for sure. Each part is just slightly less interesting than it used to be.

Again, I am absolutely loving the game. It's amazingly fun. It just feels a little more generic now.

What exotic has that awful perk?

Raiden Flux extends the duration of arcstrider's super (seriously triples it in heavy combat) AND increases damage duration.

Foe Tracer gives you tracking and boosts your damage against low health enemies, which effectively lowers your TTK with all weapons while simultaneously telling your allies who to shoot at.

Knucklehead Radar is still knucklehead radar - always have radar with ADSing. This is my go-to PvP mod, and is even more useful than in D1 since the radar takes a second to appear after ADSing now.

I'll grant that Orpheus Rig is kind of crap (regen ability energy as you shadowshot things? Almost never useful) but I bet there's some kind of weird shadowshot grenade spam build you can do that will own certain raid or strike fights.

Stompees make you faster, slide farther, and jump higher. In short, they're the mobility boots of the modern age.

I don't doubt that there's one or two dud exotics, but the vast majority I've seen are really, really cool. Raiden Flux is nearly gamebreaking for raid fights.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 18, 2017, 14:59 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'll grant that Orpheus Rig is kind of crap (regen ability energy as you shadowshot things? Almost never useful) but I bet there's some kind of weird shadowshot grenade spam build you can do that will own certain raid or strike fights.

I take it you haven't used this much? It grants ALL abilities energy, including Supers. I've used Shadowshot 3x in a row in a matter of seconds because of this exotic. It's the only one I use in PvE. With the top tree if you tether around 10 enemies it will completely give you your super back.

Example clip

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:00 (2420 days ago) @ Xenos

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:03 (2420 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah. If you snare 7 or 8 enemies, your super is immediately recharged. It's a pretty powerful exotic.

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:14 (2420 days ago) @ Xenos

I take it you haven't used this much? It grants ALL abilities energy, including Supers. I've used Shadowshot 3x in a row in a matter of seconds because of this exotic. It's the only one I use in PvE. With the top tree if you tether around 10 enemies it will completely give you your super back.

Ahh, so I didn't understand that it also recharged the super. That is absurdly good!

Uh... wut?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:01 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Dude. Orpheus Rig is so good it's almost broken. You can almost always completely re-charge your super before it's even used up.

For more evidence, see:

Welp. Making a Hunter on my next day off.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:33 (2420 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

I did not know that!

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:15 (2420 days ago) @ Speedracer513

So... which exotics aren't awesome then? All of mine are great.

Uh... wut?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 11:10 (2418 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Okay, wow. I tried this out yesterday and it's absurd. Especially on defense during the courtyard battles of the raid... You basically have infinite super.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 16:54 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:02

I was wrong. It increases Hand Cannon ready speed.

In any case, I'm not debating whether the exotic perks or good or useful--they're boring. I have three Warlock helmets that basically just increase ability recharge speeds. Yeah, that's helpful, but it's certain not exotic, and it feels especially shitty since the ability recharge rates feel punishingly slow in this game.

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:16 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was wrong. It increases Hand Cannon ready speed.

In any case, I'm not debating whether the exotic perks or good or useful--they're boring. I have three Warlock helmets that basically just increase ability recharge speeds. Yeah, that's helpful, but it's certain not exotic, and it feels especially shitty since the ability recharge rates feel punishingly slow in this game.

Are you sure you're not just reading the perks from the mods that come with those exotics? The hunter perks are all fantastic, and the warlock exotics I've seen (just the quest reward options) were all really cool, too.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:46 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Are you sure you're not just reading the perks from the mods that come with those exotics? The hunter perks are all fantastic, and the warlock exotics I've seen (just the quest reward options) were all really cool, too.

I'm sure:

Crown of Tempests: Conduction Tines--Arc ability kills increase the recharge rate of your Arc abilities

Skull of Dire Ahamkara: Actual Granduer--Provides additional damage resistance during Nova Bomb. Nova Bomb kills grant Super energy.

Eye of Another World: Cerebral Uplink--Highlights priority targets and improves regeneration speed of your Grenade, Melee, and Rift abilities.

Again, yeah, that's all useful. It's not particularly interesting or cool, though. I guess now that I think about it, those are pretty on par with a lot of Destiny 1 exotic perks, too.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 00:48 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm sure:

Crown of Tempests: Conduction Tines--Arc ability kills increase the recharge rate of your Arc abilities

If this works like the hunter void boots (as I learned in this very thread), then it also recharges your super, which makes it BALLER.

Skull of Dire Ahamkara: Actual Granduer--Provides additional damage resistance during Nova Bomb. Nova Bomb kills grant Super energy.

This sounds awesome for pvp.

Eye of Another World: Cerebral Uplink--Highlights priority targets and improves regeneration speed of your Grenade, Melee, and Rift abilities.

Depends on how big the buff is, I guess, and how it determines "priority." I imagine it's enough to be noticeable, but this doesn't sound like it would be my first choice exotic.

Again, yeah, that's all useful. It's not particularly interesting or cool, though. I guess now that I think about it, those are pretty on par with a lot of Destiny 1 exotic perks, too.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 13:44 (2419 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Eye of Another World highlights low (50%-ish?) health Enemies in Red. Ability cooldowns are approx. 10%. Which is about 6-7 seconds off I think.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 16:53 (2419 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Eye of Another World highlights low (50%-ish?) health Enemies in Red. Ability cooldowns are approx. 10%. Which is about 6-7 seconds off I think.

Well, that's certainly underwhelming.

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 14:45 (2420 days ago) @ Funkmon

And yet . . .

Again, why is this bad?

I agree!

It's just getting worse.

I have. The best guns in Destiny 2 would have been a joke in 1.0. enough ammo to kill 3 guardians? Lul. A field scout Vanquisher killed 4.5 per mag and it was an auto rifle.

Any scout rifles with a 27 round mag, explosive rounds, and Firefly or an equivalent? No. Any 13 round mag hand cannons with Max impact, range, and outlaw? No. They are all between 12 and 20 rounds, and they are all similar handling. We now have some gimmicky weapons, like swords, or the sentinel beam, but they're for very specific uses.

The Conspirator scout rifle is full auto, has a 33 round mag, and has the firefly equivalent perk. It feels nothing like the other scouts (except Seven Six Five, which is the same gun but without firefly and slightly less stability and more range). Annual skate is a 10 round hand cannon with high impact, range, and with outlaw. It's not 13 rounds, but it is the hand cannon you're looking for in this game. If you don't mind something different from outlaw, Sturm is even higher impact and range, holds 12 rounds (I think?), and is reloaded automatically if you get a kill with Dreng (and kills with sturm reload your energy weapon - I actually paired sturm with annual skate in pvp for a while and it was great).

The fact is, and I believe you're willingly misunderstanding me, that the best guns now are absolutely terrible compared to the best guns before TDB, and it isn't close.

I think you're willingly comparing apples and oranges. You can't complain about the guns in Destiny because the have different stats than the guns in goldeneye. Comparing D2 to D1 is the exact same thing. They're different games with different game balance and need to be viewed separately.

The 30 seconds of fun of Destiny is getting worse. The game may be better. I would say a Lincoln MKZ is a better car than a Mazda Miata. I would still rather take the Miata out for a drive. Do you understand?

I also disagree with this metaphor. If the 30 seconds of fun isn't better, then the game isn't better. If you would rather drive a miata than an MKZ, then the miata is a better car to drive. Maybe the MKZ looks better and costs more, but it's not better *to you*.

So hey, you are welcome to keep playing D1 if you like it more than D2.

Speaking of D2: In D2, which is its own, self-contained game world independent of D1, there are some guns that are better than others. They are not all the same. They are also different from D1 guns because the game is different from D1. The entire game meta has shifted. You don't need an AR that can compete with shotguns because the game is no longer 90% shotguns. The overall TTK may be slower, but that doesn't mean the game is *worse* as you suggest. If you want a fast TTK game play Titanfall - it's fantastic! D2 has placed a greater emphasis on teamwork and team-shooting in pvp. There are only 4 enemies, total, and if you can kill 2 by yourself, that means you + 1 teammate can wipe the whole enemy team before you need to reload. Perhaps you used to be able to 1v3 and you miss that. Well, the game has changed. Individual heroes are unlikely to defeat well organized teams. It's still possible to clutch out a win (I got a lovely 7 kill streak including a golden-gun triple play yesterday and my team won by 2 points) but it's not as likely that a single great player joining a match will tip the scales.

If you don't like the game that D2 is, that's fine and you're entitled to your opinion, but you should be able to admit that it's a different game with different balance goals. Personally, I think the balance is better and a lot more fun with a lot less of a reliance on OHKs. Most of my kills in games are with my kinetic or energy weapons now, instead of in D1 where 9 of my 15 kills per match would be golden guns. You now have a chance to fight back and a chance to escape, and in almost every firefight you have enough time to know whether you're outmatched or not. I am of the opinion that those are huge improvements.

Victim of it's own success

by electricpirate @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 08:57 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I"d like to riff off one idea that has bubbled up around here.

A bad game getting good is more interesting to be part of than a good game getting a little better.

There was a long term narrative around destiny and how it's bad, but it's interesting! Then it's better! That's a recipe for a wide ranging conversation that pulls people back around.

Destiny 2 is a good game. It will probably get a little better as time goes on. That's not as interesting to talk about! People won't be as engaged with it, even if they are * more * engaged with the actual game.

Victim of it's own success

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 18, 2017, 09:06 (2420 days ago) @ electricpirate

Sure, that makes sense. But it also feels a little like saying the game is good so there's no point in saying anything good about it...

The Paradox of Choice

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:21 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been loving D2, I really don't have any negatives to say about it. I am started to feel a bit of the "paradox of choice" theory going on though.

----------

(For those unfamiliar with this idea, the BASIC breakdown of this theory is, having too many choices ultimately leads to negative feelings, whereas fewer choices leads to positive feelings. For example, if you went to the store for a soda and they had 3 choices, it's easier to make a choice and you will probably leave happy with the choice you make. If the store has 20 types of soda, you will feel overwhelmed and possible leave unsatisfied with your choice.)

----------

I loved D1 patrol, just messing around, completing bounties, doing whatever. Sometimes a public event would pop up by surprise and I always did them. It was a rare treat. I was done playing and felt satisfied and my gamer itch was scratched.

In D2, it's still new and I'm excited but I'm already starting the "oof...what to do first" in my head as the game loads. Lost sectors? Regional chests? Adventures? Public events? World boss bottle? I'll start a patrol but a world boss shows up, I'll follow him into a public event...wait am I still doing the patrol? Hey a lost sector....no wait a band of pikes...where was I again? I got a new engram let's see what it is...who is shooting me? I'll go over here for cover...now who is shooting me?? Done playing and boy is my belly full, I need a nap.

And these aren't complaints, just differences in the two games. I'm nervous that the burn out factor in D2 may happen. I quickly hit the power level plateau, I'm sharding equipment faster than I'm getting new gear.

The choices are plenty and I don't know which soda to pick!

The Paradox of Choice

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:28 (2420 days ago) @ ManKitten

But you don't need to make a choice. You can just do whatever interests you at your own pace. You can try everything since nothing is mutually exclusive, and your time is never 'wasted' now. In Destiny, there was an opportunity cost to not doing the specific activities that advance you. In Des2ny, that is basically absent.

The Paradox of Choice

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:38 (2420 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Depends on how you define wasted. After you hit the soft cap and do the weeklies for Luminous Engrams, everything you after that point is wasted, in terms of powering up. Whether that's good or bad is debatable, but it feels even less good to know that you're locked out of progressing for a week than it did to get useless drops in D1--at least then there was still a chance. There still is here, with exotic drops, but it still sucks to see all of my gear drop at lower light levels.

I'll be a first to admit that it's not a problem I can solve. I'm not even saying D1 was better or we should go back to that. I do think random perks and strike specific items added something valuable to the experience though.

The Paradox of Choice

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, September 18, 2017, 12:35 (2420 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But you don't need to make a choice. You can just do whatever interests you at your own pace. You can try everything since nothing is mutually exclusive, and your time is never 'wasted' now. In Destiny, there was an opportunity cost to not doing the specific activities that advance you. In Des2ny, that is basically absent.

Correct but that wasn't really my point.

D1 patrol was basically crickets and sometimes something awesome would happen.
D2 patrol something awesome is always happening, when everything is awesome, then everything isn't as awesome, that's all.

Everything is AWESOME.

by FaerieFire, Monday, September 18, 2017, 20:19 (2420 days ago) @ ManKitten

Everything is cool when you're part of a team.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread