Seriously, How Do Mods Work? (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 19:36 (2421 days ago)

Looking at the vault on DIM, I have approximately nine hundred thousand, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion mods in my possession. But so far, the game hasn't explained how I can use these things or where. So far, it seems like Rares can't be modified at all, and Legendaries can only modify the elemental damage type. How does this all come together? Is there a website where I can learn more about this stuff? Can anybody here tell me what I can do with them?

Seriously, How Do Mods Work?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 19:40 (2421 days ago) @ Morpheus

Looking at the vault on DIM, I have approximately nine hundred thousand, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion, billion mods in my possession. But so far, the game hasn't explained how I can use these things or where. So far, it seems like Rares can't be modified at all, and Legendaries can only modify the elemental damage type. How does this all come together? Is there a website where I can learn more about this stuff? Can anybody here tell me what I can do with them?

Honestly, don't bother placing blue mods on anything. Once you hit 280, you can turn in 3 of any of the same blue mod to get a random legendary mod from the Gunsmith, which adds +5 to the Power Level of whatever you put it on, so it's a decent little bump up.

Mostly, they don't seem that useful, and seem to be a pretty poor substitution for the old perks that were on gear in D1.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 22:15 (2421 days ago) @ Morpheus

Mods are basically the perks on armors from D1. Feel free to equip them as you play along at lower levels because you'll get so many blue ones anyway. Some boost your armor/recovery/movement. Some abilities like melee or grenade. Some weapon handling etc.

Weapon mods are mostly modifiers of energy types. Keep all your purples for stuff you really wanna keep. They usually come with a power/light level boost for the item it gets equipped to.

by Kahzgul, Monday, September 18, 2017, 14:28 (2420 days ago) @ Morpheus

Blue mods are just materials to make purple mods. Every 3 blue mods turns into one purple mod. If the gunsmith has a purple mod for "sale" in the bottom row of his vendor screen, "buy" it, which will convert 3 of your blues into purps. Purple mods increase the item power of your assigned item by 5, which helps with leveling.

Purple gun mods determine if a weapon is elemental or not. That's it.

Purple armor mods can add minor perks, such as faster grenade recharge or better kinetic weapon stability. I do not know if mods of the same type stack or not.

There are also class-specific mods for your hunter, warlock, and titan. If you don't have one of these classes, just delete the mods for that guy. Otherwise you can vault them.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:26 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You should mention that you have to be able to achieve 280 before the purple creation is available.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 16:46 (2420 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Purple armor mods can add minor perks, such as faster grenade recharge or better kinetic weapon stability. I do not know if mods of the same type stack or not.

The word on reddit is that they do. Some guy posted a test of scout rifle grouping with no, one, and two counterbalance mods applied and it was pretty compelling, but I'm not sure I'd say it's conclusive by any means. Someone will run more tests, I'm sure.

Follow up, How to get certain ones to show up?

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:50 (2420 days ago) @ Morpheus

I have a bajillion mods as well, but the gunsmith only shows 12 total purple mods that I can purchase. I want to make a purple solar mod, but its not showing solar, just arc and void. Nothing changes when I reopen his inventory. Anyone figured out the exact way to do this yet? Or am I missing something

What I have found

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:59 (2420 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Seems like its completely random as to which appear. I thought it may display the mods you have the most blues of first, but thats not the case. I did find that if I bought some of the mods it would bring new ones in as I ran out of blues to use. Not that big of a deal, as I should just start making as many purples as I can instead of hording useless blues.

What I have found

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 16:47 (2420 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Seems like its completely random as to which appear. I thought it may display the mods you have the most blues of first, but thats not the case. I did find that if I bought some of the mods it would bring new ones in as I ran out of blues to use. Not that big of a deal, as I should just start making as many purples as I can instead of hording useless blues.

I thought it was just that if you had three blues of the same type, you could turn it into a purple. I didn't see or realize that Banshee's inventory changed for any reason other than blue mod availability in my inventory.

What I have found

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 00:45 (2420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I thought it was just that if you had three blues of the same type, you could turn it into a purple. I didn't see or realize that Banshee's inventory changed for any reason other than blue mod availability in my inventory.

You are correct. Banshee's purps for sale only show up when you have 3 matching blues to buy with.

Follow up, How to get certain ones to show up?

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 00:45 (2420 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I have a bajillion mods as well, but the gunsmith only shows 12 total purple mods that I can purchase. I want to make a purple solar mod, but its not showing solar, just arc and void. Nothing changes when I reopen his inventory. Anyone figured out the exact way to do this yet? Or am I missing something

Each purple mod requires 3 blues of the same type. If you have enough blues to make the corresponding purple, that purple will show up. If you don't see the purple that you want, you need to buy more random blues until the one you want appears.

I'm an idiot

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 12:06 (2419 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The reason I was not converting Blues to Purples is because I thought it cost glimmer. Once I saw that it did not require any glimmer I realized theres no reason not to convert them. I figured it out and felt so dumb

I try sometimes. thanks for the help either way!

You're not an idiot at all - it's obtuse design!

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 12:18 (2419 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Advice

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 14:06 (2419 days ago) @ Morpheus

• Use Legendary mods to break 280. That +5 is useful. That's +4 power levels if all your gear has one.
• Take all Rare Mods and aggressively convert them to Legendary when you hit 280.
• Identify which legendary mods you won't use (looking at you Paragon Armor mode) and break them down for 1 Mod Part.
• 2 Mod Parts + 1k Glimmer buys you a new Legendary mod. This is the best way to get Kinetic mods as you cannot get Rare Kinetic mods.
• Rare mods are a great glimmer dump once you can convert them into Legendary mods.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread