Okay. The Campaign Thing. (SP?) (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 20:55 (2438 days ago)

Here is what I am dissatisfied with in terms of the campaign. I finished it, good story, enjoyable, nice to play and everything. But the main thing that annoys and frustrates me—once you're done, you're done. You can't do any of the Story missions over, except for three RNG's at the Tower--one at a time, to boot!?

No, Bungie. That is a big no-no.

While progressing and becoming stronger is the main endgame solution; strong enough to take on the toughest challenges of Nightfall and Raids, we still need those missions available. For reference, study, challenges, or just to recap. It's absolutely senseless to remove all stories--even after completing the game--and limiting them to three random "Meditations" that don't really earn you much more to begin with, despite the light level being meteorically raised to match yours.

I can go on Destiny 1 right now(in fact, I did a few days ago; should've stayed with all the awesome stuff I missed) and pick nearly any story mission and shove right off to the adventure of my choice.

Destiny 2 hasn't been out for two weeks, and I've "run out of stuff" to do.

I put that in quotations, because I still have a handful of Adventures to do(already cleared Titan and 75% of Nessus), still haven't done Nightfall, and the Raid seems like a very distant future type thing. But I've cleared out everything that can be bought with fake money!

Here's what needs to happen to campaign, and soon:

Bring back all—or as many applicable—campaign missions to freely choose at default/original light level.
Little to no rewards; Either a couple rares, or some Gunsmith parts and planet tokens.
Enable Meditations to be multi-claimed. No one is overjoyed having to go to the new Tower, walk all the way over to the Bazaar, select a mission, back out, go to the little gyroscope thing, do the mission and then fly back to the new tower, three times in a row.
Give Meditations the 'Daily Heroic' treatment. Add on a skull or two, float the light level to a good Heroic weight, and bring in more opportunities at good/better stuff.
First cleared Meditation gives you 5-10 Legendary rocks, a Legendary Engram, and a couple of base mean rares.
Second cleared Meditation gives more rocks, more rares, and the chance of up to two Legendaries.
Third straight Meditation; slight chance for an Exotic. That's a brand new gold, or at the least, infusion soup.

People get the chance to work a little harder to earn rewards that they like, or they can enjoy the storytelling once again, without having to wait [x] number of weeks.

I like to transcribe Story Missions and Strikes on Destinypedia in my spare time, and I haven't even touched my Hunter or Titan, knowing I need to be completely thorough because I can only do them once each. And then there's different dialogue for new players, too? I have to make a new Xbox Live gamertag?

I'm screwed!

Okay. The Campaign Thing. (SP?)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 21:26 (2438 days ago) @ Morpheus

Consider this a blessing. You can play other games until there is something for you to do! Games with things you want to do! Games you wouldn't have time to play if you are grinding in Destiny.

This is literally one of the biggest positives of Des2ny for me. The fact that you can easily put it down and not be behind.

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 22:00 (2438 days ago) @ Morpheus

I so badly want to replay the journey from the city to the farm. More on that if I ever get a chance to share all my thoughts about this game...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 05:04 (2438 days ago) @ Morpheus

I agree with you. Even if they had a special week for "Rememberence" every now and then where the original story progression unlocked, I'd feel better about it.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 10:43 (2438 days ago) @ Morpheus

I agree. This is a pretty big oversight. I'll add that I rarely, if ever, replayed story missions in D1, BUT I do think that the ability to revisit them at a very low light level in order to facilitate both exploration and to remind ourselves of the plot is important.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 06:46 (2437 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I agree. This is a pretty big oversight. I'll add that I rarely, if ever, replayed story missions in D1, BUT I do think that the ability to revisit them at a very low light level in order to facilitate both exploration and to remind ourselves of the plot is important.

Doing that one would need to be a special case, though-- the game would have to ignore all your current inventory, your class setup, and block access to your vault-- including API access.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 08:33 (2437 days ago) @ narcogen

Doing that one would need to be a special case, though-- the game would have to ignore all your current inventory, your class setup, and block access to your vault-- including API access.

Oh, I apologise for not being clear. Low light level *for the mission* so that you can focus on exploration because your light level is dramatically higher than the enemies'.

Right now when you go back via meditations the levels are light 220+. I'd like to go back to light 50 and just roam around.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 12:40 (2437 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You would have a point if this was a "I've run out of content to do to advance!" and not a "I've run out of distinct repeatable activities that I want to do for their own sakes".

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 18:49 (2436 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Oh, I apologise for not being clear. Low light level *for the mission* so that you can focus on exploration because your light level is dramatically higher than the enemies'.

Right now when you go back via meditations the levels are light 220+. I'd like to go back to light 50 and just roam around.

Right. What I mean is that what people want is access to those first two missions without deleting a character.

I'm just saying that faithfully re-creating that experience would require additional measures-- and that in the past, the similar introductory levels that existed in vanilla Destiny and were solo-only were never offered in this manner, so I would not necessarily expect them to be.

In fact, I'd say that the player's lack of access to weapons and abilities in two of the three opening levels of D2 is more critical than the gentle introductory curve of the first vanilla D1 mission.

by Avateur @, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 20:27 (2436 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Consider this a blessing. You can play other games until there is something for you to do! Games with things you want to do! Games you wouldn't have time to play if you are grinding in Destiny.

This is literally one of the biggest positives of Des2ny for me. The fact that you can easily put it down and not be behind.

Fully agreed. I'm still working my way through Breath of the Wild, and I was really worried about how D2 was going to interfere with my time for that (among some other games I've picked up recently). D2 has been pleasantly surprising on that level.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 21:48 (2436 days ago) @ Avateur

Fully agreed. I'm still working my way through Breath of the Wild, and I was really worried about how D2 was going to interfere with my time for that (among some other games I've picked up recently). D2 has been pleasantly surprising on that level.

I need to get back to that. I've done three of the Divine Beasts and just got the Master Sword. But then Uncharted: The Lost Legacy came out, and by the time I finished that, Destiny 2 was here.

And Mario Odyssey is next month and looks really good!

And the Dishonored 2 expansion is out, and I really want to play that.

There's too many damn games!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 22:38 (2436 days ago) @ narcogen

True, but that was never much of a problem in 1 either. A handful of missions we still can't do, like A Guardian Rises(the very first mission), Cutscene missions like The Awoken and Meeting the Speaker, the new Subclass missions--all of those are not present in the D1rector. So while missions like Homecoming and Exodus may be exempt(I mean, Homecoming is rather straightforward, so not much work would likely be needed), the rest of the Story missions could still be retrieved.

by Avateur @, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 22:57 (2436 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I need to get back to that. I've done three of the Divine Beasts and just got the Master Sword. But then Uncharted: The Lost Legacy came out, and by the time I finished that, Destiny 2 was here.

And Mario Odyssey is next month and looks really good!

And the Dishonored 2 expansion is out, and I really want to play that.

There's too many damn games!

I've only done one of the Divine Beasts! I keep searching for shrines and exploring and battling and enjoying the massive world. I only have a little over 1/4 of the map unlocked. I'm also still working through Sonic Mania (Zelda took over haha), and no kidding on the Mario Odyssey. I'm definitely getting it.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 23:20 (2436 days ago) @ Avateur

I've only done one of the Divine Beasts! I keep searching for shrines and exploring and battling and enjoying the massive world. I only have a little over 1/4 of the map unlocked.

Oh my god, how? The first thing I did was beeline to ever tower to open the map up. I do just love exploring. It's so good in this game. Just climbing a mountain and looking around is an incredible experience.

I'm also still working through Sonic Mania (Zelda took over haha), and no kidding on the Mario Odyssey. I'm definitely getting it.

I played up through like Act 4 of Sonic Mania. I think I stopped when Uncharted came out. It's definitely good, but I've never been a big Sonic fan, so I'm not really sure I'll end up going back to it.

I played like 20 hours of Splatoon 2 before Sonic came out. Super fun game, but now that Destiny is out, it doesn't really stand a chance.

Are you a fan of old school Final Fantasy, by any chance? If so, make sure to get the demo for Octopath Traveler from the eShop. The Switch is shaping up to be quite an awesome little machine. I love it to death, and it's getting the games to back it up. I want every indie game on that thing.

Also, Divinity Original Sin 2 is out now! I loved the first one, so I'd like to make time for the sequel at some point, but the first one was like a 50+ hour RPG, and I bet the second isn't any shorter and I just don't have the time.

And, to be honest, I really want to play The Witcher 3 some more. Before Horizon Zero Dawn came out this year, I had just finished my fourth play through of that game, and I was looking forward to playing through both the expansions for the second time, but Horizon pulled me away.

Speaking of which, Horizon's expansion will be out in November, and I'd honestly like to play through the base game again before that hits, too.

I need a clone to go to work for me or something, because that's not all going to happen.

by Avateur @, Friday, September 22, 2017, 00:28 (2436 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh my god, how? The first thing I did was beeline to ever tower to open the map up. I do just love exploring. It's so good in this game. Just climbing a mountain and looking around is an incredible experience.

I get to a new area, and then all I want to do is explore the entirety of it and find the shrines and whatever else may be around. I see all these towers off in the distance, but I'm getting to them as I go. I found the Zora by total accident while climbing and gliding and swimming. Most of my time has been spent in the bottom right area of the map, and I'm pushing my way west (and also into Hyrule Field, where getting that tower was an insane nightmare that I somehow managed to pull off).

I played up through like Act 4 of Sonic Mania. I think I stopped when Uncharted came out. It's definitely good, but I've never been a big Sonic fan, so I'm not really sure I'll end up going back to it.

I played like 20 hours of Splatoon 2 before Sonic came out. Super fun game, but now that Destiny is out, it doesn't really stand a chance.

Sonic was my first video game, and it may have also been my first comic. I have a few of the comics, and I think it's awesome that Cody has them all. I never did get the final issue of Mecha Madness, but I did manage to read how it ended in a compendium many years later. I've thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Mania so far, and I look forward to getting back to it. But Zelda just took over everything until D2!

Are you a fan of old school Final Fantasy, by any chance? If so, make sure to get the demo for Octopath Traveler from the eShop. The Switch is shaping up to be quite an awesome little machine. I love it to death, and it's getting the games to back it up. I want every indie game on that thing.

Yes. FFVI is by far my favorite, and I haven't even touched anything past X (though I hear that some of them are really great). Which reminds me that I'm still in the middle of a playthrough in VI on my DS (GBA cartridges work in it). Octopath Traveler is absolutely on my radar for 2018 at this point (it wasn't earlier, oddly). Did you ever play The Last Story on the Wii? Or Lost Odyssey on the 360 (which I think is now available on Xbox One)? It'll only add more games to your list if you haven't, but they're fantastic. Both are from Mistwalker. Lost Odyssey is definitely my favorite of the two, though. That story and those characters. And the music.

Also, Divinity Original Sin 2 is out now! I loved the first one, so I'd like to make time for the sequel at some point, but the first one was like a 50+ hour RPG, and I bet the second isn't any shorter and I just don't have the time.

I never played the original and probably won't play this one because of how much time they take. I'm still debating whether or not I want to commit to Xenoblade when it comes out.

And, to be honest, I really want to play The Witcher 3 some more. Before Horizon Zero Dawn came out this year, I had just finished my fourth play through of that game, and I was looking forward to playing through both the expansions for the second time, but Horizon pulled me away.

Speaking of which, Horizon's expansion will be out in November, and I'd honestly like to play through the base game again before that hits, too.

I need a clone to go to work for me or something, because that's not all going to happen.

Yeah no kidding. I got Mario Kart for the Switch and haven't played it yet. I'm sure I'll get to it by November. :P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread