Non-raiders often seem unable to "get" raiding (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 16:50 (2426 days ago)

I'll be interested in his next installment, but this guy's tone bothers me a little.

I mean, yeah, raiding is demanding, but since Destiny came out there seems to be this odd resentment from some quarters that a video game should ask for the same amount of time, effort, or commitment that other activities in life do. (I'm looking at the people screaming for matchmaking in particular.)

I certainly understand having different priorities as an adult with responsibilities. Giving a video game a high priority may not be your thing, or maybe you can't imagine the social rewards that might be gained from putting in the effort. For me, I don’t see why it’s any different from joining a ultimate frisbee league or any other hobby that is organized around other people.

Non-raiders often seem unable to "get" raiding

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 17:24 (2426 days ago) @ Kermit

There's a distinct lack of some people just realizing that, "Oh, maybe this thing isn't for me."

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 17:29 (2426 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's a distinct lack of some people just realizing that, "Oh, maybe this thing isn't for me."

One of the commenters said something about the social anxiety evident in the piece. I guess I get that. I used to have a bit of anxiety about gaming with "internet strangers." So glad that I overcame that!

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:21 (2425 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie invites everyone to buy their game. Everyone. Marketing pitches their ideas to everyone. Everyone goes for the bait but then here comes the switch. Oh, you didn't know you have to be really good, have lots of friends and huge blocks of organized time to play the extensive end-game product?

I like the game yet I see the problems. Bungie knows there are problems too but their solutions simply aren't going to include the numbers they're looking for. They've built an excellent and very difficult game with demanding social interactions. The skill and social bars can be very high and exclusive. I think, too high.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:34 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Bungie invites everyone to buy their game. Everyone. Marketing pitches their ideas to everyone. Everyone goes for the bait but then here comes the switch. Oh, you didn't know you have to be really good, have lots of friends and huge blocks of organized time to play the extensive end-game product?

I like the game yet I see the problems. Bungie knows there are problems too but their solutions simply aren't going to include the numbers they're looking for. They've built an excellent and very difficult game with demanding social interactions. The skill and social bars can be very high and exclusive. I think, too high.

Bungie has been upfront from the beginning that they are building a social game that rewards commitment. If it were different, the rewards wouldn't be the same and wouldn't mean as much. Friendship is the secret sauce of Destiny. Playing with friends is when the game really hits all cylinders. There are plenty of other games that don't work this way. Bungie invites all because they know that even though it requires more effort than some are used to expending, they know it's worth it because it's a different level of fun. I don't fault them. They're absolutely right. I've never had as much fun playing any video game as I've had raiding in Destiny.

Not upfront enough, in my opinion.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:51 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:13 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Bungie has been upfront from the beginning that they are building a social game that rewards commitment. If it were different, the rewards wouldn't be the same and wouldn't mean as much. Friendship is the secret sauce of Destiny. Playing with friends is when the game really hits all cylinders. There are plenty of other games that don't work this way. Bungie invites all because they know that even though it requires more effort than some are used to expending, they know it's worth it because it's a different level of fun. I don't fault them. They're absolutely right. I've never had as much fun playing any video game as I've had raiding in Destiny.

I think I agree that Bungie has been upfront about Destiny being a social game. But I've never seen an advertisement that says you have to be a "committed" player to enjoy it. All of the great moments I've had been in Destiny have been playing with others, but I've never enjoyed anything that requires "commitment". In fact, towards the end of D1 I pretty much didn't care about finishing a raid I started anymore. The rewards weren't worth it. The social experience was.

A great example for me was beating Skolas for the Y1 achievement. I tried several times with people from here and we just weren't able to do it before the time was up for me. So I missed out on that. That was actually the opposite of fun and I spent too much time chasing it instead of having fun. Since then I don't think I've bothered chasing rewards like the yearly achievements. I didn't bother finishing a single one of the books that Bungie provided. I just did the things I enjoyed and I enjoyed the game more.

Tell that to your wife

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:23 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

but I've never enjoyed anything that requires "commitment".

popcorn.gif

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:25 (2425 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Marriage is not a game :P

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:56 (2425 days ago) @ unoudid

but it is fun...

Marriage is not a game :P

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 07:03 (2424 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

but it is fun...

Spoken like a true married person.

Then how do you know who is winning? ;-)

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 11:33 (2424 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:56 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

In general marketing? No maybe not.

I feel like Luke has been very realistic about the commitment raiding requires in interviews. They’ve talked about Guided Games making it easier to find a team, nowhere have they claimed it would lessen the commitment.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:58 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Well, that, and someone wise once said:

For me, I don’t see why it’s any different from joining a ultimate frisbee league or any other hobby that is organized around other people.

The idea that you should not need any skill or dedication to do complete or compete in the hardest part of a game feels a bit silly to me.

But beyond that, there's a lot to do in Destiny that doesn't require gathering people (missions and adventures) and Destiny is one of the few games that goes way out of its way to bring people into your game to help you (public events and Strikes) and will even offer to help you find people to guide you through the most difficult content.

I'm not really sure what else Bungie can do to make that bar lower unless you just want a button you can press that has someone else play the game for you...

by squidnh3, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 19:36 (2426 days ago) @ Kermit

For me, I don’t see why it’s any different from joining a ultimate frisbee league or any other hobby that is organized around other people.

It's not any different (except the inside/outside, exercise vs. sitting part). However, there are plenty of people that would never join an ultimate frisbee league. And, there are also a lot of people that would join an ultimate frisbee league, but then are...poor at interacting in an expected social way.

Bungie games have a way of throwing these different types people together, and the results have certainly been interesting. For people who play games as an escape from their social difficulties, Raiding is bringing those right back into the game for them. It would be awesome if those people used that as a stepping stone towards expanding their horizons, but it can be a lot to ask.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:00 (2425 days ago) @ squidnh3

It's not any different (except the inside/outside, exercise vs. sitting part). However, there are plenty of people that would never join an ultimate frisbee league. And, there are also a lot of people that would join an ultimate frisbee league, but then are...poor at interacting in an expected social way.

Bungie games have a way of throwing these different types people together, and the results have certainly been interesting. For people who play games as an escape from their social difficulties, Raiding is bringing those right back into the game for them. It would be awesome if those people used that as a stepping stone towards expanding their horizons, but it can be a lot to ask.

Very insightful, squid. It's helpful to remember that being social (in any context) isn't as natural for some as it is for others.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 22:02 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Because an ultimate Frisbee league doesn't reset your progress every 7 days. The fact that you must beat the raid from start to finish in a week could legitimately be a problem for some people.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:02 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because an ultimate Frisbee league doesn't reset your progress every 7 days. The fact that you must beat the raid from start to finish in a week could legitimately be a problem for some people.

Very good observation.

I believe the weekly reset is a problem for many gamers. Bungie should consider adding a non-resettable version with commensurate rewards. Alternatively, Bungie could break the Raid into subsections.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:20 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

The encounters do rotate in order now, so if you do 1-2 encounters a week, you could certainly finish that way.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:23 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Very good observation.

I believe the weekly reset is a problem for many gamers. Bungie should consider adding a non-resettable version with commensurate rewards. Alternatively, Bungie could break the Raid into subsections.

Please no. In this regard I like things the way they are. Part of the challenge of completing the raid is doing it within a week. Raids in general would be diminished by adding another watered down flavor. Besides, the only one that couldn't predictably be finished in one night was King's Fall, and most people agree that one was too long.

Even if you could choose which type of Raid you wanted?

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:31 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:36 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Yes, even if. It would complicate the game, complicate the effort to find raiding partners, and diminish the uniqueness of the raid.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:09 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes, even if. It would complicate the game, complicate the effort to find raiding partners, and diminish the uniqueness of the raid.

You see the problem here? No compromise.

There are solutions.

I suggest the Raids be available in more forms. Compartmentalization, no-reset, exploration mode, easy enemies.

Bungie gives us Guided games. We already did that on our own in D1. They dressed it up a bit but it's a simple case of social manipulation. They failed to get the end-game numbers they wanted in D1 but are unwilling to admit the problem is their game's design. Someone at Bungie has an elite gamer ego complex and is unwilling to compromise for the lesser (but greater numbered) players. I'm seeing right through this mess to you Luke Smith (sorry if it's not you Luke).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:25 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

You see the problem here? No compromise.

There are solutions.

I suggest the Raids be available in more forms. Compartmentalization, no-reset, exploration mode, easy enemies.

Bungie gives us Guided games. We already did that on our own in D1. They dressed it up a bit but it's a simple case of social manipulation. They failed to get the end-game numbers they wanted in D1 but are unwilling to admit the problem is their game's design. Someone at Bungie has an elite gamer ego complex and is unwilling to compromise for the lesser (but greater numbered) players. I'm seeing right through this mess to you Luke Smith (sorry if it's not you Luke).

Oh, I think you can credit Luke. I think the raids were his idea, and were his way of bringing the WoW raiding experience into an FPS. In my opinion he succeeded. And sure, they'd like to have more people play raids because raids are fun!

What you describe are not raids because you're taking away the identifying characteristics of raids. Destiny provides those things in other modes. I don't see the problem in design that you see. Raids are meant to be challenging and overcoming challenge is integral to the fun that only raids can deliver.

We don't value what comes easily to us.

Scheduling is not what makes a raid fun though

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:36 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

It's the difficulty and cooperation necessary that makes it challenging and fun.

Scheduling is not what makes a raid fun though

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:51 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It's the difficulty and cooperation necessary that makes it challenging and fun.

Scheduling anything can be a pain. It does make raiding an event. It's appointment gaming. That's not meant to be derogatory.

100% Disagree

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:34 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

The weekly reset is there so Bungie can easily cap how much loot you can gain per-week. If you could just continue to run the raid until you finished, but the loot cap applied I don't see how that would be a problem. If you can't schedule all your people to finish it in one week they don't have to start over.

100% Disagree

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:49 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

The weekly reset is there so Bungie can easily cap how much loot you can gain per-week. If you could just continue to run the raid until you finished, but the loot cap applied I don't see how that would be a problem. If you can't schedule all your people to finish it in one week they don't have to start over.

Maybe if you could get loot from each encounter only once per week. That is actually how it works when you do save a checkpoint from week to week (which can be done if you have someone to help you during the reset--at least in D1).

I like the reset. It keeps things fresh. And I had several Monday night finishes that wouldn't have been as memorable or fun were it not for the deadline.

Again, we don't value what comes easily to us.

100% Disagree

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:10 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I guess I could see where it caps the level of loot you get, thereby slowing you down (though that requires that you say the rewards scale up throughout the raid which is historically debatable at best) and the whole point is that the reset prevents people from going slower not faster. IT seems like we get to the same place in your conclusion, but I don't understand your premise.

100% Disagree

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:46 (2425 days ago) @ Vortech

I guess I could see where it caps the level of loot you get, thereby slowing you down (though that requires that you say the rewards scale up throughout the raid which is historically debatable at best) and the whole point is that the reset prevents people from going slower not faster. IT seems like we get to the same place in your conclusion, but I don't understand your premise.

In other words, you can only get a certain set of loot from the raid which is limited each week by the cap. Assuming that limitation remains in place, if they remove the reset of the checkpoints then you can just keep trying the raid until you beat it or you decide you aren't high enough level and restart from the beginning. It doesn't impact the loot economy either way.

100% Disagree

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:54 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

In other words, you can only get a certain set of loot from the raid which is limited each week by the cap. Assuming that limitation remains in place, if they remove the reset of the checkpoints then you can just keep trying the raid until you beat it or you decide you aren't high enough level and restart from the beginning. It doesn't impact the loot economy either way.

I keep thinking about why this is a bad idea. It impacts the player economy, and other players are a resource in Destiny. The reset puts everyone on the same page at the same time once a week.

100% Disagree

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:55 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

I keep thinking about why this is a bad idea. It impacts the player economy, and other players are a resource in Destiny. The reset puts everyone on the same page at the same time once a week.

It only puts everyone on the same page for like 1 hour each week. I don't think that's a particularly strong argument. That said, when have you ever needed to add someone to your raid group halfway through and had trouble finding a replacement? People generally have no problem just jumping in to help. (At least around here)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:45 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Please no. In this regard I like things the way they are. Part of the challenge of completing the raid is doing it within a week. Raids in general would be diminished by adding another watered down flavor.

I disagree, because at its core the raid is not about time pressure at all. It would be designed differently it it were.

Way back when, most games had to be completed in one sitting. They would reset your progress every time you started the game! Even more hardcore than once a week. This was a game design decision; password systems were easy to implement even in the simplest of games.

First of all, these games were short. We are talking less than 45 minutes typically, and even that may be high. The emphasis was on mastery, and since you could not save your progress at all, you had to play masterfully and continuously for the duration of the game. You could mess up a few times (hence lives systems), but you basically needed to play from start to finish and not mess up at all.

This pressure for mastery and continuous play is completely removed when you are allowed to save progress, and when you no longer have limited lives. And guess what? The raid has both those features! You can wipe an unlimited number of times, and you progress is saved. On principle, there is no fundamental difference in terms of design philosophy if your progress is saved forever, or if it is saved for a week. Just the act of saving it fundamentally changes to nature of the game.

The fact that you have to beat the raid in a week is not what makes it special. It's special because the challenges are unique, and you are doing it with other people with whom you must co-ordinate with in game.

If Bungie redesigned the raid system so you checkpoints never reset unless you either reset them yourself, or you beat the raid, this would not affect hardcore players at all. They'd still bust through the raid in one night and get their loot every week. But those for whom scheduling is a problem, could potentially play over the course of three weeks, and still get their drops. The gear resets could still happen, but since you haven't gotten the final boss drop, it resets from 'available' to 'available'. See?

The week limit is NOT a challenge, and it is NOT a meaningful design decision since the fact that you have unlimited lives and saved progress is just like every other modern game. All it does is hurt people who have lots going on in real life.

+1, could work

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:51 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:59 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The week limit is NOT a challenge, and it is NOT a meaningful design decision since the fact that you have unlimited lives and saved progress is just like every other modern game. All it does is hurt people who have lots going on in real life.

I don't feel hurt. And I'd argue it is a meaningful design decision, despite the strength of your convictions. Perhaps not meaningful to you, but it's probably a safe bet that there were several internal decision points that landed us here. And it hasn't inconvenienced me or those I play with to any discernible degree.

~m

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:40 (2425 days ago) @ Malagate

I don't feel hurt. And I'd argue it is a meaningful design decision, despite the strength of your convictions. Perhaps not meaningful to you, but it's probably a safe bet that there were several internal decision points that landed us here. And it hasn't inconvenienced me or those I play with to any discernible degree.

~m

And because it doesn't effect you, it's not a problem then? It doesn't effect me either dude, but a simple fix would help others and not change my or your experience at all. There is quite literally nothing to lose by doing this.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 12:00 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree.

I don't think there would be nothing lost by the removal of the weekly reset, but I think more would be gained, easily.

And people could still have that time pressure, only now it's the time pressure of "We have to get this done before the reset or we'll be missing out on drops", which is all I've seen it be for most of us anyways.

Yeah, it might make it a little less cool when a group squeaks out a tight finish on Monday, but think about how cool it would be for a group who's spent several days over the course of more than a week to be able to finally make their way to the end and win?

Think about the ease to scheduling it might add if your available days are (say) Saturday, then the next Wednesday, and Thursday, if that first day lets you get a foothold, and not just a chance to either win the whole thing, or get some experience to make your next go smoother.

An optional reset of progress would have most of the advantages of what we have now, and make things a lot more accessible, without really making it meaningfully less challenging?

Because, as Cody pointed out, the time pressure isn't really present in the Raid itself; it's time pressure with respect to scheduling, not gameplay. It's just kind of. Not a great challenge?

Or a fantastic hill to die on, with respect to opposing making the Raid less special.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:08 (2425 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Or a fantastic hill to die on, with respect to opposing making the Raid less special.

That's probably me. I like the raid being special. You all have succeeded in making me second guess my opinion regarding resets, though. I still lean with Oholiab--that resets are pretty integral to the game and it would be weird for raids not to have them.

The point about raids being a bait and switch, though, I just can't relate to. I'm pretty sure that before D1 came out I posted here that I didn't know if I'd be able to raid. I didn't know if it would be an activity I could handle. I was prepared for it not to be. I wasn't salty about it. I was still excited to play the game.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:17 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

The point about raids being a bait and switch, though, I just can't relate to. I'm pretty sure that before D1 came out I posted here that I didn't know if I'd be able to raid. I didn't know if it would be an activity I could handle. I was prepared for it not to be. I wasn't salty about it. I was still excited to play the game.

This pretty much my point though. If you want to beat the raid, it still requires skill and coordination without worrying about beating it within a week or less. The weekly reset doesn't change the difficulty, it just forces you to start over. Even if you can save your checkpoint over the reset you still have to have the same skill and coordination.

Now if Bungie really wants to make the raid hard, they could make it like the old Nightfall strikes. A team wipe means back to orbit! (I would _never_ try to do that, that's just frustrating for no good reason) :P

This isn't a new thing...

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 09:43 (2424 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

WoW had similar complaints, and they implemented a compromise. How it works in the link below. It's doable, and there is precedent, if bungie wants to address it. I suspect that guided games is their first baby step in this progression, and if it doesn't get the % of playerbase in raids that they want high enough, they will look to other fixes, raid reset timers included.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Instance_Lock_Extension

Resets provide help.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:51 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The weekly reset provides a few very helpful things to raiders. (more thinking D1 then D2)
- Chance to obtain higher light gear from encounters you finish.
- Chance to earn weapons with perks that are specific to the particular raid encounters (oracle disruptor)
- Chance to earn armor with perks for the various raid encounters

You start adding all that up and it helps to provide players with gear to help them get through the raid easier and faster.

With their whole weekly reset system for everything in the game, I really don't see why they should get rid of the weekly raid reset either.

Resets provide help.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:57 (2425 days ago) @ unoudid

The weekly reset provides a few very helpful things to raiders. (more thinking D1 then D2)
- Chance to obtain higher light gear from encounters you finish.
- Chance to earn weapons with perks that are specific to the particular raid encounters (oracle disruptor)
- Chance to earn armor with perks for the various raid encounters

You start adding all that up and it helps to provide players with gear to help them get through the raid easier and faster.

With their whole weekly reset system for everything in the game, I really don't see why they should get rid of the weekly raid reset either

I said nothing about the loot reset. Only checkpoints. And if you wanted to, you can manually erase your checkpoint and start fresh. Your concern would not come to pass since starting over is always an option.

Resets provide help.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 12:07 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny is a loot driven game that resets all activities every week to help you earn more loot. The system that you are describing goes against everything that the core of the game is designed around.

I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be nice during the first few weeks of the raid to hold those checkpoints. It just goes against the entire system that they base everything around.

Resets provide help.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:02 (2425 days ago) @ unoudid

Destiny is a loot driven game that resets all activities every week to help you earn more loot. The system that you are describing goes against everything that the core of the game is designed around.

I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be nice during the first few weeks of the raid to hold those checkpoints. It just goes against the entire system that they base everything around.

But allowing you to keep your checkpoints doesn't change the amount of loot you can get from the activity in the week. Really, it's no different than how some people (I'm looking at you Kermit!) save their checkpoints over the reset today already. If people feel the need to do that, I think that's a strong indication that there is no reason to force the checkpoint to reset. Instead, just let us keep our checkpoints until we decide we need to reset from the beginning or we beat the raid. Leave the loot limits exactly like they are today so you don't get more loot that you're supposed to each week. Let players decide if they are too weak to continue and reset their progress after the loot reset to get more early-raid loot. It's not like people doing the raid don't know that they need to increase their power to make encounters easier.

Resets provide help.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:22 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

But allowing you to keep your checkpoints doesn't change the amount of loot you can get from the activity in the week. Really, it's no different than how some people (I'm looking at you Kermit!) save their checkpoints over the reset today already. If people feel the need to do that, I think that's a strong indication that there is no reason to force the checkpoint to reset. Instead, just let us keep our checkpoints until we decide we need to reset from the beginning or we beat the raid. Leave the loot limits exactly like they are today so you don't get more loot that you're supposed to each week. Let players decide if they are too weak to continue and reset their progress after the loot reset to get more early-raid loot. It's not like people doing the raid don't know that they need to increase their power to make encounters easier.

Chappy (and maybe Kermit) typically just save the checkpoint on the raids to skip all the stuff and get straight to the boss fight after we've been doing the raid for awhile and can't get anything from the other parts. I know we ran WotM Aksis part 2 all the time just to try and get the ship/sparrow to drop. This method is used to bypass all the other crap and not just as a continuation of the previous raid.

If I were to jump into a raid group where 4 different people had 4 different checkpoints on a raid I'd probably just rage quit due to the bickering and complaining to be had between people who only want to use their checkpoint.

Personally, the weekly reset should remain what it is. A reset of the world events and activities, not a continuation of stuff you failed to complete in time.

Resets provide help.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:27 (2425 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

For the record I've done that only a handful of times, usually for King's Fall, which I think most people agree was too long.

Your post made me think more about how no resets would negatively impact the raid experience, though. I think checkpoint trading would explode and there would be fewer beginning-to-end raid experiences. The raid is supposed to be an epic, continuous experience, not another version of the strike playlist. It's length is one of its defining characteristics. I've said to the group before that King's Fall would be the most epic of the raids, if only we'd have more time to experience it in one go.

Kerm

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:05 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And ultimate frisbee doesn't drop loot, but what does that have to with the price of eggs in China? I'd say it's arguable that Destiny resets your progress (in total) or that ultimate frisbee doesn't reset it. Every week could bring a brand new opponent.

My argument has nothing to do with progression. I'm simply making the observation that most any extended team-oriented activity involves planning and commitment.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 15:45 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No it resets your progress every (checks wikipedia to see how they time ultimate games) 75/90/100 minutes. After that all your progress is lost and you are starting at a score of 0 next time.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:28 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree with many things the author said. Pieces of it echo what I've said here and other places. The viewpoint is not particularly welcome amongst Bungie, Destiny end-game fans.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:41 (2425 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I agree with many things the author said. Pieces of it echo what I've said here and other places. The viewpoint is not particularly welcome amongst Bungie, Destiny end-game fans.

I guess I've demonstrated that in my responses. Consider this, though. Trials is an end-game activity that I can't participate in successfully. That doesn't bother me at all. I think Trials is super-cool, and I'm very happy that the game has it. I don't consider myself ripped off or some such nonsense just because every pixel in the game isn't available to me.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 10:20 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

I guess I've demonstrated that in my responses. Consider this, though. Trials is an end-game activity that I can't participate in successfully. That doesn't bother me at all. I think Trials is super-cool, and I'm very happy that the game has it. I don't consider myself ripped off or some such nonsense just because every pixel in the game isn't available to me.

My 2cents, I don't feel ripped off that there are social spaces and lore that are walled-off from me by an insane skill curve required to get there; but I want a way to access that content without having to watch it on Youtube. The victors get their fancy Trials gear, and I'm grateful that I'm helped along in some way by catching Trials engrams through the Clan system (tanx XBL DBO'ers), but the lore matters to me more. It's nice that we'll apparently all get to experience the Lighthouse in the first D2 DLC, but we're talking a no-skill access delay of like, 3 years.

:/

~m

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:49 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Your progress in trials is not wiped every week. You practice, and you get better and better. That's your brain rewiring. That does not go back to zero at the end of the week. Each trials match is completely self contained, unlike the sections of the raid which are sequentially linked.

Because the trials map changes every week, you could make a legitimate argument for an incomplete card not carrying over to the next week, but I think that being allowed would be just fine.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 12:25 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Your progress in trials is not wiped every week. You practice, and you get better and better. That's your brain rewiring. That does not go back to zero at the end of the week. Each trials match is completely self contained, unlike the sections of the raid which are sequentially linked.

Because the trials map changes every week, you could make a legitimate argument for an incomplete card not carrying over to the next week, but I think that being allowed would be just fine.

Well, sure. I could play it all weekend every week, and I'd surely get better, and who knows, one day I could have a very lucky flawless run. I'm not committed to the time and effort that would take. When I say can't I'm saying I've got other things I'd rather do. I have no problem with anyone who feels that way about the raid, BTW, as long as they don't blame the raid.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:00 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Your progress in trials is not wiped every week. You practice, and you get better and better. That's your brain rewiring. That does not go back to zero at the end of the week.

I disagree with this, strongly. (It might be true for some people, if they play enough. For most of us, though, there are too few games of Trials played to do anything REMOTELY like 'rewiring your brain'.)

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:47 (2425 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Your progress in trials is not wiped every week.

But... yes it is, right? If you play and win 5 games one week, quit, and wait until the next week, you start with 0 wins.

Edit: thought I was replying to Cody

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:18 (2425 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Your progress in trials is not wiped every week.

But... yes it is, right? If you play and win 5 games one week, quit, and wait until the next week, you start with 0 wins.

Edit: thought I was replying to Cody

Well, or at least in the same way as the raid does. I refuse to hear the theory that people don't get better at raiding through practice.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:21 (2425 days ago) @ Vortech

Well, or at least in the same way as the raid does. I refuse to hear the theory that people don't get better at raiding through practice.

My performance monday night would suggest I'm getting worse, lol

It happens to the best of us.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 17:24 (2425 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well maybe not the best... but certainly folks like me! ;)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:07 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Eh, I don't think you can really compare Trials here. I actually never considered whether a trials card disappears or resets after Trials is over because generally I prefer to continue a card until we have too many losses anyway. Regardless, I don't see a problem with a Trials card carrying over either.

A more apt comparison might be Iron Banner bounties. Those didn't reset or go away unless you deleted them. The next time Iron Banner came around you if you hung onto them you were able to complete them. Resetting the raid each week is similar to saying you loose something by forcing Iron Banner bounties from going away. It's not like they break the game.

Article makes a very good point

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:44 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

The truth is that, while much has been made of Destiny’s fusion of the first-person shooter with the MMO, as an MMO, it’s woefully lacking in meaningful social interaction. Without building this in, the leap they expect you to make comes incongruously. There’s no economy to participate in, no plots to launch against other groups. You can’t help a friend out in a pinch or ruin an enemy’s day ... Its social hubs contain no actual social activity, but rather dozens of sometimes-translucent avatars sprinting about their various errands. ... The game is less a social platform than it is a beautifully designed argument in favor of being antisocial.

What the author is really upset about is that they don't have a crew dedicated enough to raid, and probably don't have that dedication themselves. But it's a great point that if you don't already have a dedicated crew, you're probably not going to build one just by playing Destiny.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:11 (2425 days ago) @ Schooly D

The truth is that, while much has been made of Destiny’s fusion of the first-person shooter with the MMO, as an MMO, it’s woefully lacking in meaningful social interaction. Without building this in, the leap they expect you to make comes incongruously. There’s no economy to participate in, no plots to launch against other groups. You can’t help a friend out in a pinch or ruin an enemy’s day ... Its social hubs contain no actual social activity, but rather dozens of sometimes-translucent avatars sprinting about their various errands. ... The game is less a social platform than it is a beautifully designed argument in favor of being antisocial.

What the author is really upset about is that they don't have a crew dedicated enough to raid, and probably don't have that dedication themselves. But it's a great point that if you don't already have a dedicated crew, you're probably not going to build one just by playing Destiny.

However, an individual could always seek a group out. It really isn't that much work. A couple posts on a forum or two.

My issue with these sorts of debates about raiding in Destiny is that it always comes down to those who are complaining saying "I want to experience the raid, but I want to put in literally zero effort and as little time as possible." But as Kermit has been stressing in his posts, raids take effort. That's what makes them different than strikes or patrol or story missions.

Put another way: if someone says to me "I'd like to try the raid, but going to a forum and making a couple posts is too much work" then I know for certain that I DO NOT want to raid with that person. If someone is that unwilling to put in the slightest effort or time, then what are the chances that they'll stick through the frustrations of a raid? Because they ARE frustrating. And that's why it feels so great to beat them. You and your team put in time and effort and overcame frustration and emerged victorious.

Really, I think it just comes down to the fact that raids aren't for everyone, and rather than accept that, some people choose to complain about being "left out".

Nailed it!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:35 (2425 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 15:49 (2425 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And they did bring it in game with Guided Games. The whole system is designed to create lasting bonds - that is why it won't match people with a bunch of others who are LFG, but only people who are in a guild together and want to add a minority of additional players.

Spoken like an elite player.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 05:57 (2424 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Cruel your a great guy, give lots of good advice and help plenty of people out. You just can't come to terms with how much easier these games are for you than a 'lot' of other people.

Bungie made Destiny Raids for people just like you, not my skill tier. They've been faulted for it by themselves and others and that will continue until they offer different flavours of the Raid. There's no reason why a Raid has to be an unplayable space for 'most' customers.

We have a dedicated (old) group playing Tue. and Fri. for 2 hours each. We managed to open the Castleum door twice. Subsequent stages saw little progress and we aren't even running blind. Our time investment is huge but success is slow to arrive. We would benefit greatly from a non-resetting Raids as well as other performance changes.

There was and is no reason why Destiny Raids couldn't have differing skill flavours. Give better rewards to the Elite versions while letting more people check out the playspace at a more favourable setting.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 09:43 (2424 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Cruel your a great guy, give lots of good advice and help plenty of people out. You just can't come to terms with how much easier these games are for you than a 'lot' of other people.

Bungie made Destiny Raids for people just like you, not my skill tier. They've been faulted for it by themselves and others and that will continue until they offer different flavours of the Raid. There's no reason why a Raid has to be an unplayable space for 'most' customers.

We have a dedicated (old) group playing Tue. and Fri. for 2 hours each. We managed to open the Castleum door twice. Subsequent stages saw little progress and we aren't even running blind. Our time investment is huge but success is slow to arrive. We would benefit greatly from a non-resetting Raids as well as other performance changes.

There was and is no reason why Destiny Raids couldn't have differing skill flavours. Give better rewards to the Elite versions while letting more people check out the playspace at a more favourable setting.

There are different skill flavors, aren't there?

I may have come across as antagonistic in this thread, but I haven't meant to. I always like playing with you, DEEP. I don't think I'm a better player than you. I think my agreement with Cruel indisputably proves that you do not have to be an elite player to share his opinion about raids. Every single raid has given me moments that made me think I'm not capable of doing what needs to be done. Every single raid has gotten easier over time. I've had plenty of weeks where me and my team have been unable to finish. I've had weeks where we couldn't make it past the first boss. As long as everybody is learning, making distinctions, and enjoying each other's company, I don't mind. That's not to say I don't get frustrated or don't expect others to.

It took 14 hours to beat VoG blind. Maybe that's not something to brag about, and I realize that's beyond the patience threshold of most, perhaps, but it was glorious when we finished. The sense of accomplishment was worth it for me, and wouldn't have been the same had it taken less time. Within a few months it wasn't uncommon for it to take an hour or so, and that provided a different kind of fun.

I know nothing about this raid yet, but I can't imagine it's so different than the previous raids regarding the challenges it presents. I want to be able to say I climbed that mountain, and I don't want it to be a hill instead. I know I won't be the first, and I don't really care if I'm the last, but I want to do what others have done, even if it's harder for me than it was for them.

The real world has challenges that are more challenging for some than others, so why not video games? It's cool. When you say there's no reason why a raid has to be a challenging place for most customers, I say there is, because that's exactly the goal of the raid. That is the nature of what the raid is.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 12:00 (2424 days ago) @ Kermit

I may have come across as antagonistic in this thread, but I haven't meant to. I always like playing with you, DEEP. I don't think I'm a better player than you. I think my agreement with Cruel indisputably proves that you do not have to be an elite player to share his opinion about raids. Every single raid has given me moments that made me think I'm not capable of doing what needs to be done. Every single raid has gotten easier over time. I've had plenty of weeks where me and my team have been unable to finish. I've had weeks where we couldn't make it past the first boss. As long as everybody is learning, making distinctions, and enjoying each other's company, I don't mind. That's not to say I don't get frustrated or don't expect others to.

It took 14 hours to beat VoG blind. Maybe that's not something to brag about, and I realize that's beyond the patience threshold of most, perhaps, but it was glorious when we finished. The sense of accomplishment was worth it for me, and wouldn't have been the same had it taken less time. Within a few months it wasn't uncommon for it to take an hour or so, and that provided a different kind of fun.

I know nothing about this raid yet, but I can't imagine it's so different than the previous raids regarding the challenges it presents. I want to be able to say I climbed that mountain, and I don't want it to be a hill instead. I know I won't be the first, and I don't really care if I'm the last, but I want to do what others have done, even if it's harder for me than it was for them.

The real world has challenges that are more challenging for some than others, so why not video games? It's cool. When you say there's no reason why a raid has to be a challenging place for most customers, I say there is, because that's exactly the goal of the raid. That is the nature of what the raid is.

I didn't think you were being antagonistic. :)

The Normal skill level is too hard and Hard is worse, for many people.

I see it this way. Bungie gave you what a percentage seem to want. I'm asking for what I want and there's evidence there is a need to get a lot more people through the Raids. Bungie watches many forums and I suspect this is one of them.

There is a 5 mile trail. No matter how you travel it, the territory is the same. So why do some people walk and others run? People like to set their own challenge level. Raids can be the same. Imposing arbitrary constraints on the travelers is an unnecessary impediment and doesn't make the journey better or all people happier.

More choice is a good thing.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 12:11 (2424 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I didn't think you were being antagonistic. :)

The Normal skill level is too hard and Hard is worse, for many people.

I see it this way. Bungie gave you what a percentage seem to want. I'm asking for what I want and there's evidence there is a need to get a lot more people through the Raids. Bungie watches many forums and I suspect this is one of them.

There is a 5 mile trail. No matter how you travel it, the territory is the same. So why do some people walk and others run? People like to set their own challenge level. Raids can be the same. Imposing arbitrary constraints on the travelers is an unnecessary impediment and doesn't make the journey better or all people happier.

More choice is a good thing.

More choices is not always a good thing. Because sometimes the developer actually knows best. And sometimes people don't always know what they want. I'm not saying this is the case now. But sometimes what is helpful for some might hurt the community as a whole, and you can take that how you will :-D

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 14:09 (2424 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I do take your point, truly. But my gut reaction is that the solution may not be quite as simple as you present it.

Luke Smith has talked several times about the process of creating a raid, and how it differs from creating other content in Destiny. One of the major differences is that the raid designers are able to make certain assumptions about the player... assumptions that cannot be made while designing other activities. They can assume that players are in a full fireteam of 6, and everyone has headsets. They can assume a certain level of commitment over time. And while I've never heard Luke specify this, I bet one of the assumptions the raid team makes is a certain level of compitence and mechanical mastery of the game. I would stress though that I do not believe the raids are particularly demanding on that final point. I'd argue that the Nightfalls are a far more demanding activity in terms of requiring players who can perform like a 1-person army. But to your point, the raids are somewhat more demanding of skill than the rest of the game.

When I think about the implications of your suggestion (adding an "easy" mode), my gut reaction is that something would be lost in the process. I think about the way the current setup has lead to fireteams struggling for days or even weeks, grinding against every encounter, before finally succeeding. How amazing do those teams feel afterwards? How many of those teams would have just given up and done the easier version, had it been available, and robbed denied themselves the sense of accomplishment in the process? Is that a good trade to make? I genuinely don't know. Or what about the social aspect of these challenging activities? Look at all the connections that have been made thanks to players going out of their way to find help, or to offer help.

There's an element to all of this that overlaps with the debate around raid matchmaking. I think, in some cases, it is worthwhile to demand certain efforts of the player. I think certain experiences are only possible when the players involved have put in a certain level of investment. That's a real tricky line to walk, and Bungie hasn't nailed it flawlessly every time, but my gut tells me that the raid right now is in a pretty good place overall. It's demanding, it's tough. It is not for everyone. And I think that's ok. I don't see how it could be made "for everyone" without diluting what makes it special.

That said, there is another layer to all this. I think (but I could be wrong), that there is a large group of players who are more interestied in *seeing* the raid than they are in *playing* the raid. What I mean is they want to see the locations, fight through some of the playspaces, and explore without worrying about all the stress and pressure that they might feel while joining a raid team. I think Bungie actually addressed this issue quite well with TTK, by creating story missions that took us down into the Vault or to Crota's throne room. I loved that, and I hope Bungie does something similar with the Leviathan raid locations in the future.

+1

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 14:53 (2424 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:29 (2425 days ago) @ Schooly D

True. I will always be a proponent of no matchmaking in Destiny's raids.

But on the specific issue of checkpoint resets, Bungie is needlessly making it harder for people, with no benefit to everyone else. Not having matchmaking provides such a clear benefit in the form of challenges in the activity. But resetting your checkpoint on Tuesday? That provides no benefit to anyone whatsoever, and does screw some people over.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:33 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But on the specific issue of checkpoint resets, Bungie is needlessly making it harder for people, with no benefit to everyone else. Not having matchmaking provides such a clear benefit in the form of challenges in the activity. But resetting your checkpoint on Tuesday? That provides no benefit to anyone whatsoever, and does screw some people over.

There's an argument to be made for the idea that a weekly reset acts as a bit of a motivating factor. And sometimes, that's not a bad thing when it comes to a group activity. Maybe without resets it would be too easy for groups to put it off, get distracted, and then fizzle out.

But I don't know if that possible benefit outweighs the downsides. I'm just thinking out loud.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:35 (2425 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There's an argument to be made for the idea that a weekly reset acts as a bit of a motivating factor. And sometimes, that's not a bad thing when it comes to a group activity. Maybe without resets it would be too easy for groups to put it off, get distracted, and then fizzle out.

But I don't know if that possible benefit outweighs the downsides. I'm just thinking out loud.

I think self motivation is always best. If you aren't motivated to finish on your own… then why are you doing it?

How...

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:44 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's a reason people sign up for marathons, rather than saying, "you know, I'm going to run a marathon one of these days when I'm ready."

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:44 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think self motivation is always best. If you aren't motivated to finish on your own… then why are you doing it?

It's not just your motivation, though. It's everyone else's on your team. I've had several Monday night triumphs that I'm positive would not have happened had we not had the reset as a motivator. Maybe it would have happened later, maybe I could round up the team, but maybe I'd have a lot of trouble convincing anyone it was urgent enough in a game economy where checkpoints are so cheap. Take away resets and you've greatly increased how much procrastination becomes a factor. I won't play with so-and-so because whatshisname might be available later. I've got the checkpoint, will travel. This is one example of what I mean when I said no resets would make things more complicated.

How about this?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 16:54 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Rather than keeping track of "checkpoints", Bungie could just only allow you to start a raid at the furthest anyone has beaten the raid (this would also mean you couldn't join-in-progress on a team further than you I suppose)? That forces people to experience the entire raid in-order, makes scheduling easier, and allows people to skip parts they are tired of when they just want to focus on specific loot.

How about this?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 06:31 (2424 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Rather than keeping track of "checkpoints", Bungie could just only allow you to start a raid at the furthest anyone has beaten the raid (this would also mean you couldn't join-in-progress on a team further than you I suppose)? That forces people to experience the entire raid in-order, makes scheduling easier, and allows people to skip parts they are tired of when they just want to focus on specific loot.

That might have worked until this raid. Because each of the prior sections of the raid change each reset :-)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 17:17 (2424 days ago) @ Kermit

So why not have someone put a gun to your head, who will shoot you if you don’t beat the raid tonight? Surely beating it and saving your life would be exhilarating!

If you want real world pressure, that’s as good as it gets!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 17:26 (2424 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So why not have someone put a gun to your head, who will shoot you if you don’t beat the raid tonight? Surely beating it and saving your life would be exhilarating!

If you want real world pressure, that’s as good as it gets!

https://m.imgur.com/r/arrow/FOwZ77O

Agreed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:46 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Typically I've always done Raids later than others. One problem that I had was I'd join up to do a Raid for the first time and then wouldn't get to complete it because we'd not finish it and then everyone would be busy the rest of the week... then the weekly reset would mean I'd have to find a new group to start over from the beginning.

That was frustrating.

Try it on a PvP server…

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 15:56 (2425 days ago) @ Kermit

Remembering back on my Everquest days I find it hilarious that someone is complaining about the logistical challenge of getting 6 people together to raid.

I'm not saying it is easy or the concern is invalid, but man, there is an order of magnitude or more difference in those scales.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread