The Second First Iron Banner (Destiny)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 10, 2017, 17:56 (2413 days ago)

The Time-Worn Spire pulse rifle has some tremendous perks and an even greater RPM. Really shocked I did so well on my first roll.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the lineup for teammates this evening. Went into Iron Banner with my sister and the two of us encountered one too many lackluster matchmade pairs needing to be carried. In one match on Emperor's Respite, our two other teammates held down C the whole time, a point the enemy hadn't bothered to attack as they held A and B nearly the whole time. No going beyond mid or exploiting the wonderful flanks. No helping us out as we made an effort. Good times, good times.

The Second First Iron Banner

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 01:22 (2413 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The Time-Worn Spire pulse rifle has some tremendous perks and an even greater RPM. Really shocked I did so well on my first roll.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the lineup for teammates this evening. Went into Iron Banner with my sister and the two of us encountered one too many lackluster matchmade pairs needing to be carried. In one match on Emperor's Respite, our two other teammates held down C the whole time, a point the enemy hadn't bothered to attack as they held A and B nearly the whole time. No going beyond mid or exploiting the wonderful flanks. No helping us out as we made an effort. Good times, good times.

Hmmm. My team played against TeftyTeft and his crew in our first match (we lost horribly, 95-48, but I did get a 5 kill streak at one point, so I call it a moral victory), and then got matched against a team with perfect map control and spawn knowledge on our second game for what should have been a mercy win to them. Somehow the final was 95-38 and the mercy rule was never called. I forget the name of the map... infinite woods or something? Anyway, apparently if you just control B and the hallway in the middle of the map, the enemy will spawn on the opposite side from their teammates every time, even when it seems like it shouldn't be physically possible. I've never been aborted so many times in a single D2 match before. /sadface.

And then the game completely bugged out, showing different numbers of people matched to each of our fireteam members, loading into a match only to dump us back in orbit, and then none of us could leave the fireteam so we all hard quit and called it a night.

Hopefully tomorrow is more stable and I play against some players of a more modest skill level (actually, the game against Tefty's team was really fun. It's cool to see how D1 streamers have adapted to D2. The second game was just a spawn camp fest... I learned nothing from it other than controlling B is clearly of paramount import).

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 08:15 (2412 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hopefully tomorrow is more stable and I play against some players of a more modest skill level (actually, the game against Tefty's team was really fun. It's cool to see how D1 streamers have adapted to D2. The second game was just a spawn camp fest... I learned nothing from it other than controlling B is clearly of paramount import).

B on Legion’s Gulch is consistently unguarded. Even when the enemy team can wrestle out A and C it’s left defenseless against any section. Then it’s a matter of man cannoning straight to either point you prefer for a quick capture. I’ve racked up a few wins just going between B and A.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:10 (2412 days ago) @ Grizzlei

It has reminded and reinforced all of the issues I have with Des2ny's Crucible. Of which there are many. But the gear is nice enough I am putting up with it for the time being. The only quality experiences I had as a single stack yesterday was the rare occasion it didn't throw a 3 or 4 stack against me.

I will say the challenges are a nice way to allow you to make up for the low payout of losses. I was able to get 2 packages out of about 6 matches. Which means, in theory, I should be able to get 10 packages without too much frustration. I will probably be back out of the Crucible after the event, though.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:20 (2412 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I will say the challenges are a nice way to allow you to make up for the low payout of losses. I was able to get 2 packages out of about 6 matches. Which means, in theory, I should be able to get 10 packages without too much frustration. I will probably be back out of the Crucible after the event, though.

Yeah... it's not gonna be that smooth. :(

A win is 5 tokens, a loss is 2. A package requires 20. Challenges are 2 tokens, and finishing three yesterday got you an additional 15 from Saladin... so one of those two packages was a non-repeatable freebie. :(

Winning makes packages come MUCH faster than losing.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:23 (2412 days ago) @ Claude Errera

A win is 5 tokens, a loss is 2. A package requires 20. Challenges are 2 tokens, and finishing three yesterday got you an additional 15 from Saladin... so one of those two packages was a non-repeatable freebie. :(

The reputation bundle for three challenges is a daily thing, I believe.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:26 (2412 days ago) @ Grizzlei

But is Iron Banner the activity of focus for every day's challenge?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:29 (2412 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Ah. If that's true, then I'm wrong, it WILL be easier to finish than I thought. ;)

(Also means faster progress if I just do a couple of packages per day per character, rather than trying to finish on a single character at a time. Thanks!)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:35 (2412 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ah. If that's true, then I'm wrong, it WILL be easier to finish than I thought. ;)

(Also means faster progress if I just do a couple of packages per day per character, rather than trying to finish on a single character at a time. Thanks!)

Pace yourself! The best things come with patience!

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:57 (2412 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Pace yourself! The best things come with patience!

Hmm. I don't think this has anything to do with patience. I enjoy playing (even solo, where it's much, much harder to get a win) - and I did a lot of it last night. I'm just saying, I'd get more stuff (for the same playtime) if I spread out the play across characters, rather than focus on a single character at a time. That is a major departure from the way IB has worked in the past, and it's one I didn't notice until you mentioned the repeating milestone.

I'm not going to play less, I'm just going to play smarter. :)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, October 12, 2017, 06:17 (2411 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I enjoy playing (even solo, where it's much, much harder to get a win) - and I did a lot of it last night.

I've played a few games solo and won most of them. When I partnered with 1 other DBO clanmate, we went 1-1. When there were 4 of us clanmates we went 0-8 probably. Pretty much all of those games we were paired against 4 other clanmates.

We were curious if that was a coincidence or intentional to pair 4v4 clans. So perhaps if you go in solo, it's just a bunch of clueless Randys you can mop up.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 08:32 (2411 days ago) @ ManKitten

Anecdotal data from myself and what I have seen from others would require that to be both a very recent change and still inconsistent. Solo queue for myself yesterday appeared to have had more 1/1/1/1v4 or v1/3 team splits than it had anything else. Once grouped up with two clan mates this only seemed to change which portion of the spread we were on for the majority of games. As a 4 stack it was about even between different distributions.

Obviously a small sample size, but it does not appear to me to actually weight matching up equal player distributions over whatever other factors are at play.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 12:54 (2411 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I think it has a lot to do with the skill ratings of everyone in the party. When I went in with a team of 4, and we were all the same skill level (fair-to-middlin'), we lost most of our games. I think that's because the system TRIES to pair us up with another team of 4 (clearly that's not a hard requirement, but I think it's a priority), and a team of 4 with 1 or 2 good players (and one or 2 less good players) will 'average' to our skill level - but they'll beat us almost every time.

When I went in last night with 3 people who are clearly at least a tier above me (in one or two cases multiple tiers), we won every game, usually by a landslide. Again - I think it's because I brought the 'average' down far enough to match us against lower-tier teams... but not enough that we actually PLAY the same as lower-tier teams.

In other words: four 5s will get beaten, consistently, by two 8s, a 3 and a 2.

(I don't know any more about the matching system than anyone else here. This is all my speculation, backed up only by my own anecdotal data.)

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 13, 2017, 13:25 (2410 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sounds rational enough. In cases where our 4th pickup (as the people I play with frequently cycle in and out) would be lower in a ranked system it would usually not impact us that much, but it also feels (emphasis on no hard data) like your recent performances impact it to a degree. For most of yesterday we were having close games or shut outs in our favor. Less shit outs as the day went on and the last few matchces were hard fought be definite losses. It is really interesting to see the differences in how people experience the matchmaking.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 13, 2017, 17:39 (2410 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Less shit outs as the day went on

Glad you're feeling better.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, October 12, 2017, 20:46 (2411 days ago) @ Harmanimus

This clip pretty much sums up my experience when joining solo.
https://v.redd.it/jrs2izx25grz

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, October 13, 2017, 07:23 (2410 days ago) @ ManKitten

I enjoy playing (even solo, where it's much, much harder to get a win) - and I did a lot of it last night.

I've played a few games solo and won most of them. When I partnered with 1 other DBO clanmate, we went 1-1. When there were 4 of us clanmates we went 0-8 probably. Pretty much all of those games we were paired against 4 other clanmates.

We were curious if that was a coincidence or intentional to pair 4v4 clans. So perhaps if you go in solo, it's just a bunch of clueless Randys you can mop up.

lol, I thought the same thing after we got done playing the other night (no offense, b/c none of us were doing too stellar).

like mankitten said, we constantly got paired up with other clans all night. Running solo, it was a mixed bag, sometimes a team of 4, sometimes a team of 2 with 2 randos, etc.

I think my win percentage while solo is probably around 50%, while in a group, it was more like 10%. Maybe it will be easier this weekend, since the hard core pvp-ers probably have all the drops now, and will be playing trials.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 13, 2017, 08:43 (2410 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by Korny, Friday, October 13, 2017, 09:06

On the flip side, few things are more satisfying than having a team of randys and stomping a whole clan... Almost makes you want to send fireteam invites... almost.

But yeah, it seems to favor groups, and if you have a fireteam of three, it seems to take way longer to find you a match, since I assume it's trying to find a team of three with similar skill gaps plus a random for each team.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 11:54 (2412 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Just confirmed that in the app. I was worried there for a minute.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread