PvP matchmaking seems to have dramatically improved? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, October 14, 2017, 11:34 (2398 days ago)

And just over the course of this week. This is purely anecdotal, but on Tuesday night, Iron Banner was a disgrace. Matchmaking took (literally) 10 minutes per match (I'm on PS4, so xboners ymmv). Once I got into the match, it was against full streamer teams (TeftyTeft is pretty good, it turns out) or their equivalent. And eventually matchmaking just borked out entirely and told there were 8/8 players matched, one of my fireteam buddies had 3/8, and the third member of our team showed a bizarre 0/8. At which point we just force quit since it sat that way for a very long time.

Weds night the actual matchmaking still took a very long time but the resulting games were less lopsided, but were still almost always blowouts in one direction or the other. Perhaps there is a background ranking algorithm for IB that is separate from normal PvP, or it was reset for this past week? Unknown. Regardless, matchmaking appeared to be normalizing.

Fast forward to last night.

Matchmaking was smooth and relatively quick. The games were very, very, VERY good games. Lots of back and forth, we knew what we did when we made mistakes, and we were against teams who were about as organized and competent as we were without feeling overly sweaty. Our team play definitely improved, but the quality of our opponents was much more "on our level" than in previous days where we either wrecked or got wrecked (usually the latter).

Has anyone else noticed that the matchmaking seems very much improved over the course of this week? Just me? The last two nights of PvP have been really fun and competitive for me :)

PvP matchmaking seems to have dramatically improved?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, October 14, 2017, 11:38 (2398 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Grizzlei, Saturday, October 14, 2017, 11:47

Been all over the place for me. Dead even, 60-40 loss, 100-20 win; in a party or on my lonesome, amongst peers or carrying the fireteam, it’s been a mixed bag for me in matchmaking this week. Especially in Iron Banner without natural Light advantage restrictions.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 14, 2017, 11:49 (2398 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That’s honestly been my experience from the beginning. I’ve only played IB for two evenings a few hours each this week, but matchmaking was always fast and, other than the occasional blowout either way, games were almost always really close. I’ve honestly had a great PvP experience in general from launch.

I only ever played with a full fireteam—I assume it’s much harder if they have to fill one or two random spots in a team.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 14, 2017, 12:35 (2398 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The first week on Xbone there were occasions of really long matchmaking times. It would either take minutes or never find a match. The. There was that early update and thing went back to normal.

As for the quality of the matches / games... I think it’s been more or less fine. Some blowouts, sure, and I think maybe the more teamshooty nature of D2 magnifies the advantages that coordinated teams get, but I’ve had a lot of close games. Probably more close losses than close wind, but a spread of 10 or maybe even 20 points can be the result of one mistake or one clutch play so... trying to remember that... I try not to take the losses too hard.

Haven’t really felt any substantial change in the last week or so though. If the PS4 in particular was suffering more from hangs and crashes that could conceivably affect your “instantaneous” matchmaking population and lead to longer waits.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread