Design your own Subclass Tree! (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 08:59 (2395 days ago)
edited by breitzen, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 09:41

With the potential for new subclass trees in the future, I wanted to take a swing at creating my own. This is a Dawnblade tree that acts much more like a Sentinal. Moving the focus away from airborne combat/projectiles to grounded close quarters combat.

Subclass: Dawnblade
Tree Name: Attunement of Pyre

Devouring Flame: Kill an enemy with your melee ability and gain an overshield.

Brimstone: Your rift burns enemies who enter it and cause them to explode if killed.

Rising Inferno: When Dawnblade is active, press right bumper to swing. Press right trigger to slam, leaving a streak of deadly flames. Hold left trigger to block incoming fire.

Glowing Embers: Solar kills increase the recharge rate for nearby allies abilities.
(Changed from: Press B,B to dodge. Blame/Thank Xenos!)

What do you think!? How is it OP? What would your ideal (yet balanced) subclass tree look like?

Design your own Subclass Tree!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:07 (2395 days ago) @ breitzen

With the potential for new subclass trees in the future, I wanted to take a swing at creating my own. This is a Dawnblade tree that acts much more like a Sentinal. Moving the focus away from airborne combat/projectiles to grounded close quarters combat.

Subclass: Dawnblade
Tree Name: Attunement of Pyre

Devouring Flame: Kill an enemy with your melee ability and gain an overshield.

Brimstone: Your rift burns enemies who enter it and cause them to explode if killed.

I like this a lot.

Rising Inferno: When Dawnblade is active, press right bumper to swing. Press right trigger to slam, leaving a streak of deadly flames. Hold left trigger to block incoming fire.

Also like this a lot, persistent flames = Area denial FTW. And even if/when you're killed/Super ends, you get that little extra benefit of the lingering flames.

Glowing Embers: Solar kills increase the recharge rate for nearby allies abilities.
(Changed from: Press B,B to dodge. Blame/Thank Xenos!)

What do you think!? How is it OP? What would your ideal (yet balanced) subclass tree look like?

Here's mine:

Subclass: Sentinel
Tree Name: Code of the Vigilant

Crippling Strike: When fully charged, melee strikes suppress enemies for a short time.

Bandolier: Melee kills recharge your Grenade energy.

Void Reinforced: Void ability kills increase resilience for a short time.

Armor Up: Guarding while Sentinel Shield is active extends its duration and grants Overshield proportional to damage absorbed for you and nearby allies.

I tried to think of ways the Sentinel doesn't tend to be used, and though some of the traits might seem OP; comparing them to the full descriptions of the classes we already have, I feel this could even use a little more.

~M

Suppression punch sounds amazing

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:19 (2395 days ago) @ Malagate

I'd love to see suppression grenades + suppression punch in a subclass. Might be game breaking but it would be sweet to punch someone to shutdown their super and then throw grenades to do the same.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:27 (2395 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'd love to see suppression grenades + suppression punch in a subclass. Might be game breaking but it would be sweet to punch someone to shutdown their super and then throw grenades to do the same.

Yeah, this was largely motivated by my desire to recreate the "Fun Police" build of D1, Suppression Grenades + Shotgun + Armamentarium. "Vigilant" indicating your job is to shut down Supers on the other team, but not having a ton of offensive juice otherwise.

~M

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 12:18 (2395 days ago) @ Malagate

Yeah, this was largely motivated by my desire to recreate the "Fun Police" build of D1, Suppression Grenades + Shotgun + Armamentarium. "Vigilant" indicating your job is to shut down Supers on the other team, but not having a ton of offensive juice otherwise.

~M

I like this idea, but I feel like it's going to be even more OP due to the fact that supers happen far less often in D2.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 14:34 (2395 days ago) @ Malagate

Subclass: Sentinel
Tree Name: Code of the Vigilant

Crippling Strike: When fully charged, melee strikes suppress enemies for a short time.

Love this idea!

Bandolier: Melee kills recharge your Grenade energy.

Void Reinforced: Void ability kills increase resilience for a short time.

Armor Up: Guarding while Sentinel Shield is active extends its duration and grants Overshield proportional to damage absorbed for you and nearby allies.

This is a neat idea too. Basically a moving armor of light!

I tried to think of ways the Sentinel doesn't tend to be used, and though some of the traits might seem OP; comparing them to the full descriptions of the classes we already have, I feel this could even use a little more.

I actually think it seems pretty balanced. Nice work!

Way of the Ghost

by Durandal, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:18 (2395 days ago) @ breitzen

Subclass Arc Strider

Attunement: Way of the Ghost

Shadowed Step: Super activation cloaks the hunter for a short period of time.

Envenomed Caress: Charged melee hits add a damage over time effect, and cloak the hunter for a short period of time.

Rift: Hunter jumps change to a teleport move.

Caltrops: hunter dodge disperses tiny arc charges that injure enemies that move over them, damage caused recharges hunter abilities.

The thought here is to make a stealth based harassment class and encourage players to play aggressively yet still be able to deal with groups. Port in, shoot/melee, dodge and port out, leaving the enemy dead or damaged.

Subclass: Nightstalker

Attunement: Path Unknown

Familiar Territory: Smoke/Grenade effects have a much larger area of effect and obscure vision/aim assist

Dangerous Pursuit: Dodging leaves a smoke bomb in place, ready to detonate when enemies come near

Tangled Web: Shadowshot's projectile has lashing tendrils that grab enemies in flight and pull them along with the shadowshot.

Hidden Supply: When super is charged, grenade and melee abilities charge faster.

This class is a push/pick class. It's meant to peel off players in PVP and control lanes, allowing your team to move up. In PVE it acts more as a control class, working on larger groups of enemies.

Way of the Ghost

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 14:29 (2395 days ago) @ Durandal

Tangled Web: Shadowshot's projectile has lashing tendrils that grab enemies in flight and pull them along with the shadowshot.

This sounds really cool! Could it pull enemies off the map!?

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 13:53 (2395 days ago) @ breitzen

Subclass: Sunbreaker
Tree Name: Code of the Malus

Anvil Strike: Strike with your hammer at extended range, causing a directed cone of fire on impact which over penetrates the target. Hold melee to draw power from your super to increase damage and cone range. Movement speed is increased while charging.

Bellows: Dealing solar damage increases the effect of solar abilities until your next ability kill.

Cold Forged: After activating Hammer of Sol, when your super energy runs out gain an overshield and immediate health regeneration.

Suncharge: You are no longer able to throw your Hammer of Sol, instead you perform a charge attack. Enemies defeated by your charge explode after being knocked a short distance. Enemies killed by this explosion Also explode.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 14:27 (2395 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Suncharge: You are no longer able to throw your Hammer of Sol, instead you perform a charge attack. Enemies defeated by your charge explode after being knocked a short distance. Enemies killed by this explosion Also explode.

I would LOVE to see this! Seeing a guardian hit back into their teammate and explode. lol

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 16:06 (2395 days ago) @ breitzen

Subclass: Voidwalker
Tree Name: Atunement of Lines

Lashes: A melee attack that will strike any enemy in near proximity, regardless of direction. Will strike up to 3 targets. Kills with this ability grant increased weapon handling and reloading.

Blink Grenade: Hold your grenade button to charge your grenade to "blink" your grenade in a a straight line to your current point of aim where the grenade will explode as if thrown.

Reaching Abyss: When standing in your Rift, melee reach is greatly increased while your melee lunge is removed, standing in your Rift recharges melee energy.

Lance: Your Nova Bomb flies in a straight line at very high speeds.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 09:56 (2394 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Subclass: Voidwalker
Tree Name: Atunement of Lines

Lashes: A melee attack that will strike any enemy in near proximity, regardless of direction. Will strike up to 3 targets. Kills with this ability grant increased weapon handling and reloading.

Blink Grenade: Hold your grenade button to charge your grenade to "blink" your grenade in a a straight line to your current point of aim where the grenade will explode as if thrown.

Reaching Abyss: When standing in your Rift, melee reach is greatly increased while your melee lunge is removed, standing in your Rift recharges melee energy.

Lance: Your Nova Bomb flies in a straight line at very high speeds.

Lashes plus Reaching Abyss sounds like a nightmare to fight against. Warlock jumps into the middle of a capture point with 3 people on it, drops his rift, and proceeds to beat everyone dead.

Way of the Firewalker

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 07:46 (2394 days ago) @ breitzen

Out of the Fire: Dodge leaves behind a flaming pyre that causes enemies to burn.

White Hot Metal: Throwing knife causes enemy to burn. Precisions hits don’t do extra damage but cause enemy to burn longer.

Napalm Launcher: Golden Gun causes enemies to burn, enemies explode on death causing burn on hit enemies. While active enemies burn longer.

Fan the Flames: While enemies burn all abilities recharge faster (stacks up to 3x).

Way of the Firewalker

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 10:04 (2394 days ago) @ Xenos

Very nice! I love how they all work together!

Random ability thoughts

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 07:52 (2394 days ago) @ breitzen

I don't have a full subtree, I just have some abilities that could work with multiple classes.

Gun Emplacement Titan barrier can be shot through with a 50% damage reduction at the cost of the barrier taking the remaining damage. Does not work with explosive or ricocheting ordnance.

Static Grenade Grenade does no damage when it explodes but instead creates a static field that increases melee damage when entered for one punch.

Lit Fuse Hold Right Bumper to start grenade fuse, after 5 seconds the grenade goes off on your belt with increased damage and radius. Press Right Bumper to defuse grenade and gain energy back proportional to fuse time. Fuse stays lit even after death.

These are mostly Titan focused abilities.

Random ability thoughts

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 09:01 (2394 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Static Grenade Grenade does no damage when it explodes but instead creates a static field that increases melee damage when entered for one punch.

I'd love for the static grenade to be a slowing grenade, similar to a fallen mine.

Random ability thoughts

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 07:02 (2393 days ago) @ dogcow

I'd love for the static grenade to be a slowing grenade, similar to a fallen mine.

That would be cool too.

Attunement of Shackles

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 10:02 (2394 days ago) @ breitzen

Voidwalker: Attunement of Shackles

Black Hole: Killing an enemy with this melee ability generates a small tether. Dragging nearby enemies to it for a short period of time.

Tether Grenade: Axion grenades generate a small tether instead of bolts. Nearby enemies will be tethered and dragged to it for a short period of time. *A. This does very little damage. B. Other grenades are not affected.

Lance: Transforms your Nova Bomb into three projectile spears. Press RB, LB to activate, press RT to throw, press RB to thrust (melee attack). Spears detonate upon collision when thrown. Activating Lance refills your abilities.

Tendril Thief: When enemies are tethered, you and nearby allies get a dramatic boost to handling and reload speed

Sunbreaker: Code of the Torch-Bearer

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 21:25 (2394 days ago) @ breitzen

Blazing Reflexes: Barricade is equipped almost instantly upon casting. Barricade recharge rate decreased by 25%.

Case Hardened: Pound your fists together, consuming your charged melee attack to give you a recharging overshield for 15 seconds. Solar kills during this timer will extend the counter by 5 seconds, max of 3 extensions. (This includes grenades, super, or solar weapons).

Coronal Mass Ejection: Activating your barricade, Case Hardening ability, or super emits a solar flare in all directions burning enemies for 5 seconds.

War Hammer: Super is altered to a ground smash using the hammer which emits a forward reaching flame consuming enemies in its path. Sprint speed increases as super charge decreases. (It does not smash with the initial casting of the super.)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread