is Enceladus the Deep Stone Crypt? (Destiny)

by Durandal, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 09:38 (2395 days ago)

"Saturn. No, someplace else. Someplace colder.
This moon has been almost completely converted, a sarcophagus of ice and iron.
Stone towers rung round with glaciers, rooted deep within a heart of snow.
I came here flesh and bone. Gave everything to the ice.
Started over.
Rebooted"

In orbit around Saturn. Cold. Enceladus is covered entirely in water and ice and reflects almost all energy from the Sun, making it colder then expected (-200 C/-330 F).

We've seen two concept pictures now. One of a human structure rising from the ice, tower like, and another with astronauts/guardians investigating a tanker trapped in a glacier in one of Saturns moons.

This looks very much like it matches the description of the Deep Stone Crypt, and with concept art in game, we could possibly see it added as a destination in one of the upcoming expansions.

[image]

[image]

is Enceladus the Deep Stone Crypt?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 09:48 (2395 days ago) @ Durandal

[image]

That concept art screams Europa to me. The coloring, the lack of rings, and especially because of the "big red dot".

Edit: but the first one could definitely be Enceladus.

is Enceladus the Deep Stone Crypt?

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 10:43 (2395 days ago) @ Durandal

The first image is certainly saturn, but the second one is clearly jupiter...

Even so, the presence of the tankers in concept art 1 makes me think it was probably early concept work for Titan rather than a different, frozen world. Titan being a very oil-rig and tanker themed location.

Yes.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 14:52 (2395 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Maritime shipbuilding and shipping in the Golden Age

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 15:05 (2395 days ago) @ Durandal

It boggles my mind how such a dire necessity, one made so unglamorous mere decades ago for us, persists well into the 22nd and 23rd centuries on far-flung alien worlds. In an age when you can take your jumpship to any point on the planet in hours, if not minutes, on Earth, Enceladus, and Titan, here lies hulking, steel leviathans bashing through the high seas taking their sweet time.

Heavy lift starships and space elevators are a thing and were likely readily available to the capitalists, colonizers, and commanders of the Golden Age and yet here we see the sensibilities that grew a maritime industry elsewhere in the cosmos. Makes me wanna cry it’s so beautiful.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 15:25 (2395 days ago) @ Grizzlei

It boggles my mind how such a dire necessity, one made so unglamorous mere decades ago for us, persists well into the 22nd and 23rd centuries on far-flung alien worlds. In an age when you can take your jumpship to any point on the planet in hours, if not minutes, on Earth, Enceladus, and Titan, here lies hulking, steel leviathans bashing through the high seas taking their sweet time.

Heavy lift starships and space elevators are a thing and were likely readily available to the capitalists, colonizers, and commanders of the Golden Age and yet here we see the sensibilities that grew a maritime industry elsewhere in the cosmos. Makes me wanna cry it’s so beautiful.

I think a large part of it is that just because you have advanced technology doesn't mean the whole world will change over night. Like, my new iPhone is one of the most advanced pieces of hardware and software on the planet... but a touchtone phone from 30 years ago still works just fine for calling someone.

In Destiny, the discovery of NLS drives doesn't mean that everyone was going to replace their car or ocean-going cargo ship. Traveling faster than light doesn't really have an application to either.

But yeah, I love the Cosmodrome where mindboggingly massive colony ships contrast with typical modern day buses and tanks. It is indeed a fascinating world!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 15:36 (2395 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think a large part of it is that just because you have advanced technology doesn't mean the whole world will change over night. Like, my new iPhone is one of the most advanced pieces of hardware and software on the planet... but a touchtone phone from 30 years ago still works just fine for calling someone.

In Destiny, the discovery of NLS drives doesn't mean that everyone was going to replace their car or ocean-going cargo ship. Traveling faster than light doesn't really have an application to either.

But yeah, I love the Cosmodrome where mindboggingly massive colony ships contrast with typical modern day buses and tanks. It is indeed a fascinating world!

In the midst of all this wonderful fantasy it leaves our Solar System a known, familiar quantity. The colony ships docked at the Cosmodrome look as if they were lifted out of Baikonur, Kennedy, or Guiana yesterday.

Indeed!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 16:01 (2395 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

No?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 15:18 (2395 days ago) @ Durandal

This is the tower where we were born. Not the Tower. Just a tower in a dream.

The tower stands on a black plain. Behind the tower is a notch in the mountains where the sun sets. The teeth of the mountain cut the sun into fractal shapes and the light that comes down at evening paints synapse shapes on the ground. Usually it's evening when we come.

The ground is fertile. This is good land. We go to the tower in dreams but that doesn't mean it's not real.

Some of us go to the tower in peace. They walk through a field of golden millet and a low warm wind blows in from their back.

- Ghost Fragment: Legends

Mostly, I kid. The dream of the Deep Stone Crypt may not match the reality that Cayde-6 wrote of. Or maybe it was once a warm place but refroze after the collapse? I do believe that somewhere that second picture was explicitly stated to be of Europa, however.

All that said, there is very very little information on the Deep Stone Crypt. Based on the Cayde-6 Treasure Island book coming out significantly later than my Ghost Fragment (which came with vanilla Destiny) I'd actually lend a bit more weight to the cold portrayal.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread