How would you feel about a PvPvE public event? (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 09:45 (2394 days ago)

Have a public event that is King of the Hill/Firefight mixed with other clans and adds.

KOTH comes up on the map, first clan to get there plants their flag and has to defend it. Other clans can take it like in control. Once the initial flag is planted, a public event clock starts, and enemies begin to move against each other.

Say that the event has a 5 min timer, you get points for kills while in control of the Hill. +2 points for guardian kills, +0.5 for red bar adds, +1 for orange bar, +2 for elite yellow bars, and +5 for taking the hill from the other clan. (Point breakdown open to debate/suggestions).

Perhaps there could even be a way to trigger a heroic version (3 or more clans present, X number of adds slain, etc).

The cool thing about this, is that participation is totally voluntary. No one can kill you until you engage and join the public event. KOTH could rotate with the weekly flashpoint. the "Hill" could be enclosed in a Cabal shield dome (though perhaps a much bigger dome), so that you can only engage the other clan within the dome. This would prevent a clan from engaging from a long distance with snipers, or ducking in and out of caves. It would also protect kinderguardians from getting farmed by the "Kings" bc they would have to enter the dome.

How would you feel about a PvPvE public event?

by Durandal, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 10:31 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

It's a nice thought, but I hated the implementation of this in The Division. It was far too easy to wait till a team exhausted themselves on the PVE boss or adds, and then swoop in at the last minute and overwhelm them and take their stuff. This happened to me repeatedly, and the people who could grind the higher levels were pretty much invincible.

Even with Destiny's lower level gaps it would be an exercise in frustration.

I would instead like to see some "heroic" patrol mode, where random bosses and mechanics were more frequent and the expectation would be a fireteam of 6, with the potential to get to a team of 12.

This I think would not be that hard to implement, as you have all the assets and just need to work on the events.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:07 (2394 days ago) @ Durandal

It's a nice thought, but I hated the implementation of this in The Division. It was far too easy to wait till a team exhausted themselves on the PVE boss or adds, and then swoop in at the last minute and overwhelm them and take their stuff. This happened to me repeatedly, and the people who could grind the higher levels were pretty much invincible.

I don't think this would be like the Division at all. You would still be free to farm the rest of the patrol space unmolested. You don't lose XP upon death, and no one can steal your loot from off your person. they could steal the "win" (maybe) but that happens in PvP every day anyways.

Also, my proposal had a point system based on holding the hill an getting kills. You can't gank someone at the last second and win. You would have to hold the hill for a considerable amount of time to rack up points.

I would instead like to see some "heroic" patrol mode, where random bosses and mechanics were more frequent and the expectation would be a fireteam of 6, with the potential to get to a team of 12.

This would be awesome as well.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:21 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

So maybe a competitive Public Event based on Faction? What about no damage to other guardians, but competitive scoring on PvE aspects is maintained?

This would be awesome as well.

I like all of these ideas. I'd like to see a running battle styled event, where Guardians need to pursue a mobile boss over much of the map. Obviously commandeered vehicles(and their weapons) would be a huge leg up. Just imagine patrolling in a space and seeing the boss come tearing through with a group of guardians in pursuit. If that doesn't drive up Public Event participation, I don't know what would.

~M

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 14:13 (2394 days ago) @ Malagate

I like all of these ideas. I'd like to see a running battle styled event, where Guardians need to pursue a mobile boss over much of the map. Obviously commandeered vehicles(and their weapons) would be a huge leg up. Just imagine patrolling in a space and seeing the boss come tearing through with a group of guardians in pursuit. If that doesn't drive up Public Event participation, I don't know what would.

~M

I imagined this to the tune of the Benny Hill theme, so I’m in.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 10:35 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I think a competitive PvE mode would be really fun. Like two fireteams load into a zone and whoever gets the most kills in 5 minutes wins, but you can only kill PvE enemies, not guardians. Or some kind of challenge race, where you start in Trostlands, have to kill a yellow health boss, then get to firebase Hades without fast travel, kill another yellow boss, pick up an item and run it to the lost forest and deposit it into a thing while pve enemies swarm you (so your fireteam has to protect the runner) *and* you're in a live zone with the team you're competing against, so you can see them and see how they're doing (but, again, not hurt them).

Faction Rally 2.0

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:02 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Have a public event that is King of the Hill/Firefight mixed with other clans and adds.

I would love something like this. It lends itself to a limited time event like Faction rally. Instead of turning in tokens...make one planet a no-holds-barred war zone. Awarding different point values to npc kills and player kills.

Even go back to their Headhunter game type (like I was pining for a few threads ago). When you kill an opponent they drop a crest you have to collect and deliver to marked drop zones. Delivering many crests offers a point multiplier. If you die before you can deliver, you drop all the crests.

I really miss playing DayZ and creeping around hunting other players. This would be a blast...for a little bit.

Faction Rally 2.0

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:10 (2394 days ago) @ ManKitten

I would love something like this. It lends itself to a limited time event like Faction rally. Instead of turning in tokens...make one planet a no-holds-barred war zone. Awarding different point values to npc kills and player kills.

Even go back to their Headhunter game type (like I was pining for a few threads ago). When you kill an opponent they drop a crest you have to collect and deliver to marked drop zones. Delivering many crests offers a point multiplier. If you die before you can deliver, you drop all the crests.

I really miss playing DayZ and creeping around hunting other players. This would be a blast...for a little bit.

yeah, i think having patrol pvp be a once in the while thing would be fun. I also think that there needs to be big maps with the tanks from campaign.

Faction Rally 2.0

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:46 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I also think that there needs to be big maps with the tanks from campaign.

How...how is this not a thing!? Yes! This thing you just said!!

Faction Rally 2.0

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 12:26 (2394 days ago) @ ManKitten

I also think that there needs to be big maps with the tanks from campaign.

How...how is this not a thing!? Yes! This thing you just said!!

6v6 Combined Arms on larger maps with all the vehicles needs to happen.

I'd argue larger maps need to happen anyway, with or without (preferably with) additional players over the 4v4 cap. The number of times I spawn into enemy fire is wayyy too high.

~M

I've got it all figured out...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 13:44 (2394 days ago) @ Malagate

Turn the entire planet into a PvP arena with 4 teams of 4. Each team gets a fast travel location and a flag. Standard CTF rules apply.

I just made this game so much better.
You can send my awards to:
ManKitten
82 Boss Ninja Blvd.
Studly, Indiana 11111

Faction Rally 2.0

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 14:28 (2394 days ago) @ ManKitten

Headhunter was a blast that ended up being underutilized and underdeveloped. I love the notion of risking absolutely everything on one gutsy call that could incur you extravagant award or acclaim, or potentially leave you with an hour of your life wasted. Ensures that Guardians think a lightyear ahead of peril and surmise the unimaginable.

I may be a sadist here, but drop free, unlimited Sparrow use in such a mode. Restrict it to achieving a supercharge or place it’s availability on a fixed timer. This could be offset to some degree with more frequent or known patrol routes of Pikes or Interceptors for Guardians to hijack. Then make the drop zone all the way across the map. EDZ or Nessus would be wild! I’m already thinking of superb chokepoints to harass roaming fireteams of Guardian adversaries.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 08:24 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I... might participate, depending on how it's implemented, what the balance of players vs NPCs is.

How about a version where, during normal public events, the players who are working against triggering the heroic version become valid targets? :P

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 08:34 (2394 days ago) @ stabbim

How about a version where, during normal public events, the players who are working against triggering the heroic version become valid targets? :P

The real challenge of Taken public events is damaging the main blight enough before the blueberries destroy the small blights.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 08:42 (2394 days ago) @ bluerunner

I was that blueberry before I learned the mechanic. Hawthorn’s shotgun is really efficient at destroying the little blights. I could kill them so quick. Oh man, I was such a monster now that I think about it. How can one atone for such crimes?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 09:46 (2393 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I was that blueberry before I learned the mechanic. Hawthorn’s shotgun is really efficient at destroying the little blights. I could kill them so quick. Oh man, I was such a monster now that I think about it. How can one atone for such crimes?

lol - I always assumed that EVERYONE who was working against the heroic version was doing it because they didn't know any better.

It never occurred to me that people would actually WANT to play the normal version. (I mean, in almost all cases, it's only a tiny bit less hard, and the rewards are significantly smaller.)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:11 (2393 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - I always assumed that EVERYONE who was working against the heroic version was doing it because they didn't know any better.

Same. I still want to shoot them (virtually).

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:17 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

Same. I still want to shoot them (virtually).

I just want to tell them how to do it right. :)

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:27 (2393 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I just want to tell them how to do it right. :)

Like when people kick the balls off platform in the tower and they think they're playing with you?

Without talking to them, there's only one recourse.

[image]

lol

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:34 (2393 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 09:58 (2393 days ago) @ bluerunner

The real challenge of Taken public events is damaging the main blight enough before the blueberries destroy the small blights.

I am that blueberry and have never known what this mechanic was. Thank you for this information.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 10:54 (2393 days ago) @ ManKitten

There is no reason to shoot the little blights. Killing the taken that spawn in them advances the event normally. You have to step in and out of the blight bubble to get a buff to damage the big one to start the heroic event. The buff lasts 4 seconds.

It's not as well designed trigger as the other events. You have to ignore the enemies standing right next to you shoot a big ball in the sky.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:42 (2393 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's not as well designed trigger as the other events. You have to ignore the enemies standing right next to you shoot a big ball in the sky.

This is true, and I admit I had to be told about it. The thing is, the buff is so short-lived and the combat so frantic that you could easily not notice you HAD a buff at all. And of course, if you do ever try shooting the big blight, which I imagine most people do at least once, you'll pretty likely see "immune" and assume that's not a productive thing to do.

None of that makes it less frustrating, because it's so much easier and quicker to advance the normal event than it is to trigger the heroic version. The blueberries can pretty easily outpace someone who's trying for heroic, even if they aren't necessarily trying to race to the finish. The other events all have something mitigating the direct competition, except maybe the Fallen walker, but the heroic trigger mechanism on that one is obvious enough that most of the randos I've run into went for it.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:49 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

This is true, and I admit I had to be told about it. The thing is, the buff is so short-lived and the combat so frantic that you could easily not notice you HAD a buff at all. And of course, if you do ever try shooting the big blight, which I imagine most people do at least once, you'll pretty likely see "immune" and assume that's not a productive thing to do.

None of that makes it less frustrating, because it's so much easier and quicker to advance the normal event than it is to trigger the heroic version. The blueberries can pretty easily outpace someone who's trying for heroic, even if they aren't necessarily trying to race to the finish. The other events all have something mitigating the direct competition, except maybe the Fallen walker, but the heroic trigger mechanism on that one is obvious enough that most of the randos I've run into went for it.

The Walker event is one of the few that you can trigger the Heroic event all by yourself, even if everyone else is just fighting to finish. (Glimmer extraction, too, usually, because the 4th important fallen doesn't come down in the first wave - you have to die to not have enough time to kill the generator by yourself.)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 12:17 (2393 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The Walker event is one of the few that you can trigger the Heroic event all by yourself, even if everyone else is just fighting to finish. (Glimmer extraction, too, usually, because the 4th important fallen doesn't come down in the first wave - you have to die to not have enough time to kill the generator by yourself.)

Yeah, I had that thought about glimmer extraction too. There have certainly been times where I was the only one shooting the generator and was still able to do it - provided I concentrated on ONLY doing that.

The Cabal mining laser thing is kind of the same way - killing the ship by yourself is doable if you commit to using some power weapon ammo, and the damned lasers don't take you out. You're only racing against the completion percentage, and that moves slowly enough that, if you were ever going to be able to kill the ship at all, you probably have enough time.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:54 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

The blight event really is the only one without an obvious trigger, and I just played with someone last week who thought that killing all the small blights was the way to do it. It’s also the event that’s hectic enough that players won’t necessarily be able to watch other players trigger the heroic and figure out how it was done.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 12:18 (2393 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The blight event really is the only one without an obvious trigger, and I just played with someone last week who thought that killing all the small blights was the way to do it. It’s also the event that’s hectic enough that players won’t necessarily be able to watch other players trigger the heroic and figure out how it was done.

Also true. If you're inside a small blight trying to shoot it, you really can't see much outside that bubble.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 12:19 (2393 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Cabal Intel Team is also pretty head scratching / difficult to trigger heroic on. Not only do you need to know to shoot the vents, it is not possible to trigger heroic on your own as far as I can tell. You have to do too much damage to too many vents in too short a time each round.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 12:22 (2393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ah, yeah there is that one. Kinda forgot about it. Now that you mention it, though, I still don't think I've been in very many of those events where we managed to trigger it.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:38 (2393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Cabal Intel Team is also pretty head scratching / difficult to trigger heroic on. Not only do you need to know to shoot the vents, it is not possible to trigger heroic on your own as far as I can tell. You have to do too much damage to too many vents in too short a time each round.

That one is tricky just because it deals damage to the player when you’re supposed to be shooting vents. But I think the campaign trained us pretty well to shoot vents, so it’s sonething the player would at least be likely to try.

Also, just use Wardcliff Coil. It one-shots every tier. You can pretty easily solo activate the Heroic with it.

Also...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 12:21 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

The thing is, the buff is so short-lived and the combat so frantic that you could easily not notice you HAD a buff at all. And of course, if you do ever try shooting the big blight, which I imagine most people do at least once, you'll pretty likely see "immune" and assume that's not a productive thing to do.

I just realized that, on top of all this, the buff's name is "blight receding," or something very similar to that, and it counts down the seconds remaining. If you saw "blight receding" with a counter going down, and had no other knowledge of what it meant, you might assume that it was counting down to the blight (either big or small) disappearing.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread