EA Closes Visceral, Amy Hennig's Star Wars Game (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 18:55 (2394 days ago)

EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Not Destiny relevant, but a real bummer. Visceral is dead, with some devs being moved to other projects.

The Star Wars game that was directed by Amy Hennig (and was rumored to basically be Uncharted Star Wars) is being rebooted.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

That reads to me like they want a Destiny-like, which sucks. I already have Destiny, I don't need another. When will the gaming market reach a saturation with these types of games that you're supposed to play forever? I hope it's soon.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 19:18 (2394 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As if my interest in Star Wars games was suddenly stifled.

EA Closes Visceral, Amy Hennig's Star Wars Game

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 20:09 (2394 days ago) @ cheapLEY

EA is already making the next Bioware game, Anthem. From that E3 video it looked... like Destiny.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 01:13 (2394 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The star wars game I want is Shadow of Mordor, but you're Darth Vader hunting down and killing all of the jedi. GOD DAMN I want that game. I went so far as to call my friend at Monolith and pitch it to him, but he doesn't think it'll happen because who who owns the studios and who owns the Star Wars IP. Major bummer.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 04:40 (2394 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The star wars game I want is Shadow of Mordor, but you're Darth Vader hunting down and killing all of the jedi. GOD DAMN I want that game. I went so far as to call my friend at Monolith and pitch it to him, but he doesn't think it'll happen because who who owns the studios and who owns the Star Wars IP. Major bummer.

Well SoM started out as a Batman game IIRC, so you never know :)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:52 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well SoM started out as a Batman game IIRC, so you never know :)

My buddy who works for Monolith said it's a non-starter because of the Disney ownership of Star Wars. It's always possible they'll license the engine to Disney who will publish the game on their own with one of their affiliated studios, but that seems unlikely. My friend didn't say this, but I got the sense that Monolith was not interested in licensing their engine as they have big plans for it in the future and know they're sitting on some solid tech.

+1. Would play.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:45 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

No thank you.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 16:28 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The Nemesis system needs an IP that will allow the developers to crank it to 11. The sillier and more ridiculous it can be the better, in my opinion, and hunting Jedi doesn’t really fit that.

No thank you.

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 20, 2017, 00:32 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The Nemesis system needs an IP that will allow the developers to crank it to 11. The sillier and more ridiculous it can be the better, in my opinion, and hunting Jedi doesn’t really fit that.

The Jedi would be the boss types. You'd be killing rebel soldiers like a madman up until that. Keep in mind that vader needs to kill a lot of sith, too, in order to claim his position at the right hand of the emperor.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 12:00 (2393 days ago) @ cheapLEY

EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Not Destiny relevant, but a real bummer. Visceral is dead, with some devs being moved to other projects.

The Star Wars game that was directed by Amy Hennig (and was rumored to basically be Uncharted Star Wars) is being rebooted.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

That reads to me like they want a Destiny-like, which sucks. I already have Destiny, I don't need another. When will the gaming market reach a saturation with these types of games that you're supposed to play forever? I hope it's soon.

This may be hyperbole of me, but it makes me wonder what is going to happen in this, what seems to be, "Cold War" of always on games. "Games as a service". I speculate on market saturation, so I see 1983-esk possibilities, but much much smaller obviously, because we can't play ALL these sorts of "Always on games". And we can't go back to play them either. This so called "You had to be there" sort of idea. In the end someone is going to pour money, and not get a return. And no doubt, since they want a return on investment, they will pitch - Lootboxes: The GAME!

I just wonder if this consistent build of money grubbing is going to pop something.

SO there is your helping of wild mostly aimless speculation for the day.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 14:19 (2393 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I just wonder if this consistent build of money grubbing is going to pop something.

I've believed this for quite some time and I feel like this year has been host to a series of events that are really escalating that process. Mass Effect: Andromeda, Anthem, loot crates and micro-transactions in almost everything, and now the cancellation and closure of Visceral's SW game and their studio...

My taste in games is increasingly misaligned to the types of games that now have the highest RoI...Indies FTW

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 17:11 (2393 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

If the thesis of this article is true, then I'm troubled.

Please let's hope that the Last of Us, Part II isn't the last of anything.

A few thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 06:34 (2393 days ago) @ Kermit

Unfortunately, EA has been on a hyper conservative swing since roughly 2008-2009. EA back then was taking risks on exciting new IP left right and center, and it almost sunk the company. No matter what gamers *say* they want, it turns out we spend large amounts of collective money on big, safe, blockbusters. In a bit of an ironic twist, that now means “Destiny-like” (I say ironic because I think even Bungie themselves only have a partial grasp on what makes this sort of game work, and they’ve put way more time and thought into it than any studio jumping in now).

Another wrinkle that comes to mind is Respawn, and their upcoming action/adventure Star Wars game. Now, Visceral is an extremely talented studio, and Amy H’s track record speaks for itself (personally, I think Uncharted 1-3 are some of the most overrated games in memory, but I’m clearly an outlier)... but Respawn are coming off the release of one of the greatest FPS/Action campaigns ever made. This is pure conjecture, but it seems totally possible to me that EA looked at the two games in development, looked at test feedback, and decided that there wasn’t space or need for both games to exist. Maybe Respawn’s game is looking that much better. Or maybe development is just running that much smoother.

Sad news either way, but hopefully enough of the game can be salvaged to lead to something cool.

A few thoughts

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 06:51 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

EA back then was taking risks on exciting new IP left right and center

I keep such terrible track of these things. I often have to look up the years each Halo was released! Can you expand on that a bit? What did they try? What failed?

Unfortunately, EA has been on a hyper conservative swing since roughly 2008-2009

All I know off the top of my head is that they cancelled Mass Effect: Andromeda and I'm mad at them for that. I don't know if it's really a new trend or not, but it feels to me that these days if something isn't a 110% hit it is quickly abandoned. Things aren't given time to grow. Heck, it's even a minor surprise that Destiny wasn't cancelled after its initial, troubled release. I guess the hype strength of Bungie's name and past work was enough to prop it up so it could expand and improve into TTK and D2.

A few thoughts

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 08:24 (2393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't know if it's really a new trend or not, but it feels to me that these days if something isn't a 110% hit it is quickly abandoned. Things aren't given time to grow.

This isn't really gaming related, but the same thing happened to WebOS after HP acquired Palm. They launched a tablet with the latest greatest WebOS on it (I still have mine), and they gave it... I think 2 weeks? Something like that. And then shut down the whole division.

I kind of got the feeling that HP didn't actually want to make the WebOS hardware at all, they were just finishing up whatever plans had already been in motion at Palm. I still hate them for it because WebOS could have, should have, been great. A lot of the stuff we take for granted today in smartphones came from there, and it STILL has the best mobile multitasking interface I've ever seen.

Product Cycle timing

by Durandal, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:30 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

I think lots of this is driven by decreasing product cycle time. It used to be you got a product out and then it sat for two/three years while you worked on the next product. Sequels started coming out based on larger hit games, and developers started pushing those into a series of games like COD or Madden where a new one comes out every other year to keep interest.

Now every big game pads out the 2 year cycle with DLC to keep people interested and keep hype up.

However that drives more development costs as you have to retain groups to develop DLC and patches to keep players interested in the game. Quality patches especially are a cost sink because they seldom result in more sales, and DLC tends to be limited in cost so there isn't that much profit in it.

Halo 4 tried that innovative weekly story system, but it was also quickly abandoned as the studio wanted to push those resources elsewhere. I think that is the key part.

Now you have the finance guys in every department who are on studio's backs to cancel less then profitable games and DLC support in order to cut costs and free up resources for the next game.

Andromeda had a troubled development and isn't the greatest game, even if it is competent. The suits wanted something to draw players like Destiny does, and when that didn't materialize they decided to fast track Anthem (which is basically a Destiny clone).

Product Cycle timing

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 13:38 (2392 days ago) @ Durandal

I think lots of this is driven by decreasing product cycle time. It used to be you got a product out and then it sat for two/three years while you worked on the next product. Sequels started coming out based on larger hit games, and developers started pushing those into a series of games like COD or Madden where a new one comes out every other year to keep interest.

Now every big game pads out the 2 year cycle with DLC to keep people interested and keep hype up.

However that drives more development costs as you have to retain groups to develop DLC and patches to keep players interested in the game. Quality patches especially are a cost sink because they seldom result in more sales, and DLC tends to be limited in cost so there isn't that much profit in it.

Halo 4 tried that innovative weekly story system, but it was also quickly abandoned as the studio wanted to push those resources elsewhere. I think that is the key part.

Now you have the finance guys in every department who are on studio's backs to cancel less then profitable games and DLC support in order to cut costs and free up resources for the next game.

Andromeda had a troubled development and isn't the greatest game, even if it is competent. The suits wanted something to draw players like Destiny does, and when that didn't materialize they decided to fast track Anthem (which is basically a Destiny clone).

Good points.

This kind of tension exists in any industry, I’m sure. And it can be so frustrating to witness. It’s not allbad, either. I think Ubisoft is a fascinating case study when in comes to modern day game development. On the one hand, how often do we hear about mass layoffs or studio closures within the company? It’s mitaculously rare compared to other large game publishers. Working conditions are largely better as well. Crunch is still a thing, but Ubisoft does not run on a culture of grinding their developers into the ground the way Activision, EA, or Rockstar (!!!) are known to do. And despite their size, Ubisoft has a pretty good track record for releasing smaller, artistically driven games like Child of Light or Valiant Hearts.

Of course, there is a cost to all this. In order to keep all those developers in studios all over the world working at all times, and to find the smaller indie-style UbiArt games, Ubisoft needs a steady stream of AAA blockbusters. It’s easy to understand why those calling the financial shots would play things super safe. Notice how every AAA Ubisoft game released since AC2 have slowly been merging into the same game? I mean mechanically speaking. Every time a Ubisoft game resonates with audiences, the studio heads make an effort to nail down what worked, and encorporate it into future titles. Not just conceptually, but technically. That’s why Watch Dogs has the cover system from Splinter Cell Blacklist, Splinter Cell Blacklist uses the shooting system from Ghost Recon, etc. Teams no longer need to program and balance gameplay mechanic systems from scratch. The downside is that every major Ubisoft game starts to look and feel and play the same. It’s tiresom as a gamer, and yet from a sales point of view, it works.

When Splinter Cell Blacklist was in early development, it was going to be an open world game, because Ubisoft was following market trends and making everything they released an open world game. It took a serious and long-standing pushback from the dev team to get Ubisoft higher-ups to let them make a more tradition SC game. The project was overhauled, and a couple years later Blacklist was released. It was a critical hit, generally beloved by the SC community, featured a great campaign, fantastic co-op modes, and some of the best competitive multiplayer ever... and it was a commercial flop. I mean, it sold modestly well, but selling modestly well is not enough to sustain Ubisoft. So we haven’t seen another SC game since, and likely won’t any time soon.

So it’s a shame that publishers think gamers only want super safe bets, but they also happen to be right more often than not.

A few thoughts

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 08:31 (2393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I keep such terrible track of these things. I often have to look up the years each Halo was released! Can you expand on that a bit? What did they try? What failed?

Skate, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, and Brutal Legend, off the top of my head.

All I know off the top of my head is that they cancelled Mass Effect: Andromeda and I'm mad at them for that. I don't know if it's really a new trend or not, but it feels to me that these days if something isn't a 110% hit it is quickly abandoned. Things aren't given time to grow.

Me too. Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as folks (that honestly didn't even play the game, and just piled on with the things they'd heard) made it seem. It was far from perfect, and the overall story was sort of boring and rote, but the character missions were all great, and the world exploration was fun, and it was a good setup for follow up games. I still maintain that it was a better game than the mess that was Mass Effect 3.

You're not wrong about Destiny, either. I can easily see a world in which Destiny's lukewarm response means it just slowly fades out of existence.

A few thoughts

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 10:38 (2393 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I still maintain that it was a better game than the mess that was Mass Effect 3.

I disagree with this so much.

A few thoughts

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 10:51 (2393 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I still maintain that it was a better game than the mess that was Mass Effect 3.

I disagree with this so much.

FWIW, I'm not really taking a dig at Mass Effect 3. I enjoyed that game for what it was, too.

To me, Mass Effect 3 seemed rushed and half-baked. The overall story of that game was sort of a mess and really felt like it was missing parts (with some of those parts being locked behind Day One DLC, no less). It's been long enough now that I don't have any specific examples, but I was never impressed by the writing or story (even the smaller character missions) in that game. The War Assets system (whatever it was called) was bad. It was mediocre followup to Mass Effect 2 in just about every way, as far as I'm concerned.

Mass Effect Andromeda has its own issues, but I like most, if not all, of the character stories, even if the main story wasn't very good (seriously, why did there have to be some big bad--dealing the the struggles of trying to colonize a new galaxy seems like it would have been enough, and is honestly a much more interesting premise to me). Even though a lot of the actual stuff you do is rote gamey stuff, I feel like it delivered on the planet exploration thing better than any Mass Effect game yet.

I think Andromeda was a great beginning step for the continuation of the franchise, and I'm disappointed that its dead now.

A few thoughts

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 14:22 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I see where you're coming from. I think we're judging the games on different metrics or merits, but I wanted to give you insight into my thoughts.

Mass Effect 3 excelled at player control. I am sure people will laugh at this, but a player could develop a mastery of the timing and idiosyncrasies in the controls. (I would often joke that A/space was used for 12 different actions depending on the context.)

I liked the way the guns handled, particularly the snipers. I LOVED the biotic systems.

I loved the worlds, the environments, the art style, and the lighting.

I thought the farewell scenes to long-standing characters were emotionally powerful. I liked the supporting characters.

I thought the multiplayer was superb. I really liked fighting all the different enemies.

Contrasted to ME:A, I am not a fan of the art style. I don't like the controls, I don't like the weapons. I actively disliked 4/6 of the crew members. Most of the supporting characters that I can remember, I don't like. The story is just as bad as ME3 to me, if not worse. Familiar trope: Enemies are made out of US but no one noticed before we got here!!!

I played the MP a decent amount; it was rough at launch and got slightly better, but still seemed very shallow. The loot game grind was much worse. The enemies were not as fun to kill. The crafting system was garbage; it was too much of a grind, although I have yet to find a game that handles crafting well. It is a hard problem to strike a good balance between grindy and actually useful.

A few thoughts

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:25 (2392 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Mass Effect 3 excelled at player control. I am sure people will laugh at this, but a player could develop a mastery of the timing and idiosyncrasies in the controls. (I would often joke that A/space was used for 12 different actions depending on the context.)

Generally speaking, yes. I'm not sure if this comes across the way I mean it, but everything had a nice "weight" to it, if that makes sense? Where it did fall down sometimes was conflicting controls - you weren't the only one who made the "A button does everything" joke, because it wasn't a joke. It was a fact. I don't have the numbers to convey how many times I tried to revive a teammate and ended up activating a button instead, or rolling, or getting into cover.

I thought the farewell scenes to long-standing characters were emotionally powerful. I liked the supporting characters.

I might still tear up a bit if I think about Mordin or Thane.

I thought the multiplayer was superb. I really liked fighting all the different enemies.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was, and still is, absolutely the best co-op game I have ever played. I'd still be doing it NOW if anyone else was ever on.

I played the MP a decent amount; it was rough at launch and got slightly better, but still seemed very shallow.

Yeah, the big balance change patch did make it significantly better, and it plays decently now, but it's still not as good as ME3, generally speaking, although it is less buggy. Not that that's saying much - other things which are less buggy than ME3 multiplayer include Windows ME, and KotOR running via the XBox 360's emulator.

IMO, the biggest mistake they made was getting rid of the light/heavy melee distinction. It's weird that a small thing can make so much difference, but having the option of light or heavy melee was a huge part of how ME3 felt, to me. Having only one melee option now, and having it FEEL like the heavy melees used to, makes everything feel super weird. The Krogan Vanguard especially, since melee is practically all it ever does. Having only one melee action now, as opposed to before when there were 2, and good reasons to use one or the other depending on the situation, makes the current Kroguard feel very dull and repetitive to play.

Also, the alternate melee modes were used in some ME3 multiplayer characters as a way to activate special abilities. So, by getting rid of that in Andromeda, they robbed themselves of one function button. Not that it'll matter now, since no DLC characters are ever going to happen.

A few thoughts

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:55 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

and the world exploration was fun

I'm just going to say it: Andromeda did a better job of making believable planets than any other game in the series. It has hug explorable areas that are at least as big as those procedurally-generated worlds in ME1 (probably bigger) but they actually look good. And there's little events that happen randomly or at unmarked spots that you could easily miss. And then there's the worm.

A few thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:35 (2393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In 2008 alone, EA released Mirror’s Edge, Deadspace, Spore, Battlefield Bad Company, Army of Two, Burnout Paradise, just to name a few. Not all new IP, but even the titles that were part of established franchises were something of a departure from the norm, and well regarded. And most of those games were also considered commercial failures.

A few thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 10:12 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In 2008 alone, EA released Mirror’s Edge, Deadspace, Spore, Battlefield Bad Company, Army of Two, Burnout Paradise, just to name a few. Not all new IP, but even the titles that were part of established franchises were something of a departure from the norm, and well regarded. And most of those games were also considered commercial failures.

How I don't know. The original Mirror's Edge sold 2.5 million copies. That's a nice haul for an AAA game. It sold more than:

Twisted Metal 2
Halo CE Anniversary
Half Life 2
N Sane Trilogy
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Doom (2016)

*according to VGchartz

Especially since it was a good game, calling it a failure seems… wrong.

A few thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 13:46 (2392 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How I don't know. The original Mirror's Edge sold 2.5 million copies. That's a nice haul for an AAA game. It sold more than:

Twisted Metal 2
Halo CE Anniversary
Half Life 2
N Sane Trilogy
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Doom (2016)

*according to VGchartz

Especially since it was a good game, calling it a failure seems… wrong.

It’s all relative to expectations. It is crazy that a game like Mirror’s Edge can sell that many copies and not be considered a huge hit, but sales expectations are cumulative. The same thing happened with Tomb Raider (2013). It sold like 4 million copies, but the publisher’s other games that year had all underperformed that year, so sales expectations just get shifted over to the next game coming out. It’s completely unrealistic, and total BS.

A few thoughts

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:04 (2392 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

WAS Mirror's Edge actually considered a failure, though? I don't know that I've ever heard it referred to as such before this conversation. It sold reasonably well and was highly regarded both critically and by players. The only negative indication that I can think of is that it took so incredibly long to see a sequel. But, while that is weird, it doesn't necessarily mean anything by itself.

A few thoughts

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:16 (2392 days ago) @ stabbim

It had a ton of style and the running was fairly well done, but as the levels shifted towards combat it became tedious. Do everything exactly right and it could be awesome. Mess up even slightly and you'd get hit in the face with a rifle then machineguned to death. Over and over. From a checkpoint that put you right back a few yards from that guy. Also, it was a little short and some people didn't like the "flash animation" cutscenes.

Ultimately, it probably impressed more with its setting and look and gameplay than it... actually sold. Wikipedia says 2.5 million as of 2013. True, it got a sequel prequel reboot? but did that do well?

Penny Arcade's take:

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:33 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread