Lame release times. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 01:43 (2393 days ago)

[image]

They say they're releasing 12 hours later on the PC because Steam requires a global launch. Do you guys think it's better to release at noon on launch day, or just release at midnight on launch day, and some folks get it the day before...like on Xbox. Why two different strategies on that?

You guys are bigger gamers than me, what's up with this stuff?

Lame release times.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 01:58 (2393 days ago) @ Funkmon

I honestly don't give a shit what time modern games launch. I'm not gonna pre-order it, so I have to wait for the game to launch and for reviews to post before I even consider buying it. Then if I'm really into it on day 1, I'm gonna get it, install it, wait four hours for the zero day patch, log in to the always online servers, find out they have a queue, wait another 20 minutes, watch the intro cutscene, crash out because the servers have been overloaded, and go to bed. So I know I'm not really gonna play the game for a few days anyway, at which point the small hour differences between coasts or "days" of launch mean basically nothing to me.

It makes sense to me

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:39 (2393 days ago) @ Funkmon

Especially for a non-online game I can understand that a publisher would that the game released at a consistent time for each local time zone and not at a specific time world wide. That way you don't get weird times like the game unlocking at 5PM in certain time zones (BST in this case).

In online games I totally get why they choose to launch it at the same time world wide so that so people don't get a "head start."

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread