Crucible Thoughts (Destiny)

by yakaman, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 11:33 (2394 days ago)

I've only played some Crucible, and most of the time I play alone or with a couple of pretty casual PvP friends. So obviously, small data set, and from a casual point of view.

I seem to be on the wrong side of blow-outs more than in D1. I feel like I'm playing pretty well and the stats seem to back that up. So I'm wondering if the smaller team size has increased the ratio of matches between dedicated vs rando teams. I've been in a decent amount of close games, so I think matchmaking is working pretty well. Interested to hear what your experiences have been.

It seems like D2 Crucible has been much more about gun play than powers or abilities. The Grenade recharges so slowly (am I imagining this?) that I will often completely forget about it. It's barely a consideration. Also, I seem to find myself fighting at distance almost all the time, so the Melee ability is also an afterthought. Admittedly, the gun play is fucking fabulous, and this is probably a function of my personal play style, but in D1 when shotguns were a thing in Crucible my beloved Sunsinger was all about close quarters.

Speaking of the Sunsinger...I mourn daily the mockery that is D2 Solar Warlock. For the love of all that is holy, please Bungie. Please. Let me opt out of that god-awful sword and let me toss grenades like a boss. Take away the resurrection if you want. Please.

In all seriousness, I only fire the super in PvE to recharge my abilities. Again, this is almost certainly personal preference, but I find the sword use and aiming strangely...uncomfortable? Clumsy? Something.

TL;DR

• Crucible has been fun, but I'm in a lot of blowouts
  • I tend not to care about abilities in Crucible
  • D1 Sunsinger. Never forget.

Crucible Thoughts

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 11:43 (2394 days ago) @ yakaman

TL;DR

• Crucible has been fun, but I'm in a lot of blowouts
  • I tend not to care about abilities in Crucible
  • D1 Sunsinger. Never forget.

What if Bungie is the Darkness? They stopped our ability to self resurrect. Half Life 3 Confirmed.

(LOL)

The tinfoil I never knew I needed

by yakaman, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 14:31 (2394 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

You are correct

by Durandal, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 11:51 (2394 days ago) @ yakaman

D2 has slower ability times (barring mods), and intentionally removed all the one hit kill abilities outside of power weapons.

This has led to some changes in the crucible:

As OHK ability are gone, team shooting is essential to out play others.
It's easier to team shoot from long range (scout rifles).

Trying to close is difficult, as the payoff in reduced TTK from sidearms/submachine guns (the lowest TTK weapons) won't overcome the disadvantage of taking fire on the way in.

Using a roaming super is easy to counter, as you can move faster then any bar the Striker titan.

So the game right now encourages players to stay mid/long range, and if taking fire to back off and regen. Trying to close is very risky and difficult, since you cannot do so as a group and there are no one shot weapons that can quickly eliminate a group.

Warlocks and Titans are well set to take advantage of this, as they have very good health regen and abilities that complement holding positions. Hunters can leave an engagement, but that doesn't help in objective based modes. Add that running is the same no matter your agility, and now you have a situation where the canny player are engaging in long range team shot firefights.

You are correct

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 12:12 (2394 days ago) @ Durandal

So the game right now encourages players to stay mid/long range, and if taking fire to back off and regen. Trying to close is very risky and difficult, since you cannot do so as a group and there are no one shot weapons that can quickly eliminate a group.

This is the biggest surprise. Grouping up and shooting as a team is so powerful, but there's not much risk to it. As a result, it becomes the dominant strategy. This is where things like grenades should shine, but they've been toned down.

Rock paper scissors. A>B>C>A. But the way most people play it's like Dynamite.

You are correct

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 13:29 (2394 days ago) @ Durandal

Ability charge is slower even accounting for mods. The best you can get with most grenades is 69 seconds (2 mods) which is 9 seconds longer than D1 Tier 0.

+1

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 15:00 (2394 days ago) @ Durandal

This might be the best explanation of the current pvp meta that I've seen. Well put.

Heh...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 15:21 (2394 days ago) @ Durandal

Warlocks and Titans are well set to take advantage of this, as they have very good health regen and abilities that complement holding positions. Hunters can leave an engagement, but that doesn't help in objective based modes. Add that running is the same no matter your agility, and now you have a situation where the canny player are engaging in long range team shot firefights.

It's pretty clear Bungie KNOWS this, and is actively trying to push against it. Last night's Challenges included "Kill 10 opponents from up close."

Heh...

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 15:43 (2394 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's pretty clear Bungie KNOWS this, and is actively trying to push against it. Last night's Challenges included "Kill 10 opponents from up close."

That challenge has been around for a bit. The trick is that it's listed as a "challenge" and is not considered a normal part of gameplay. That tells me they do not have any intention of changing things.

Also, the MIDA's "flavor text" when you pull L2 while inspecting it is pretty telling.

Heh...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 16:15 (2394 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Do you get extra points for a teabag then?

Teabagging is, and always has been, its own reward.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 16:34 (2394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

CreulLEGACEY -> Report -> Griefing -> Other

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 20:11 (2394 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Worth it ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 20:23 (2394 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

I actively report tea baggers.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:14 (2393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Hunters can't reach more than 6 recovery because of a glitch

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 15:55 (2394 days ago) @ Durandal

Warlocks and Titans are well set to take advantage of this, as they have very good health regen and abilities that complement holding positions.

This will be mitigated some eventually. There is actually a glitch in Survivalist leg armor for Hunters that causes them to not provide ANY recovery. Bungie has acknowledged the issue and is hopefully working on it. Once that's fixed Hunters should be able to reach up to 8 recovery (since right now you can reach 6 with a recovery mod on leg armor).

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 16:44 (2394 days ago) @ Xenos

Warlocks and Titans are well set to take advantage of this, as they have very good health regen and abilities that complement holding positions.

This will be mitigated some eventually. There is actually a glitch in Survivalist leg armor for Hunters that causes them to not provide ANY recovery. Bungie has acknowledged the issue and is hopefully working on it. Once that's fixed Hunters should be able to reach up to 8 recovery (since right now you can reach 6 with a recovery mod on leg armor).

Sure, but you still would have a mix of agility in there. The fact of the matter is that agility is an all-or-nothing stat. You either want 0 because resilience and recovery are far more valuable, or you want 10 because you're going to make a build that completely relies on it. Being in the 2-7 agility range essentially is just wasting stat points, and this contributes to hunters feeling weak in pvp. I will also say that the hunter skill trees are not particularly synergistic from a pvp standpoint, and that hunter grenades are by and large completely worthless. All of which speaks to the value of dodge and dodge+reload or dodge+reload+invisibility because that's pretty much the only thing keeping hunters competitive.

I roll out my voidwalker and it's AMAZING how much she just feels like she was *built* for pvp. Devour is OP as hell, plus I also can do a 0/7/7 build AND I get a healing rift? Insane. And then I can also get two supers per game, which I've never done on my hunter.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 22:12 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I wrote up a large reply and then my browser crashed. So, summary of what I wrote: Hunters are not as underpowered as people imply, they are just a class that's intended to keep moving. You have 0/7/7, my Hunter is currently rocking 4/5/6, not that much lower on recovery OR resilience, both of which is made up by the Hunter's ability to get out of situations as long as you learn to use your dodge at the right times. As far as abilities, we don't get anything crazy like devour, but they do reward maneuvering while engaging, and if you can master it you can do really well, it just plays very differently than the other two classes, both of which have abilities that literally encourage you to stand and fight head on.

Oh and P.S.
I get two Golden Guns most matches with my Hunter

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 20, 2017, 00:30 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

I wrote up a large reply and then my browser crashed. So, summary of what I wrote: Hunters are not as underpowered as people imply, they are just a class that's intended to keep moving. You have 0/7/7, my Hunter is currently rocking 4/5/6, not that much lower on recovery OR resilience, both of which is made up by the Hunter's ability to get out of situations as long as you learn to use your dodge at the right times. As far as abilities, we don't get anything crazy like devour, but they do reward maneuvering while engaging, and if you can master it you can do really well, it just plays very differently than the other two classes, both of which have abilities that literally encourage you to stand and fight head on.

FYI I main a hunter.

I run 4/7/4 on my hunter. It's fine, but my warlock feels OP in comparison.

Oh and P.S.

HOW????? I have literally never gotten a 2nd super with any hunter subclass. On my warlock I do it about 30% of the time.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 20, 2017, 06:57 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul

HOW????? I have literally never gotten a 2nd super with any hunter subclass. On my warlock I do it about 30% of the time.

Way of the Sharpshooter, critical hits give you super energy, just getting a lot of kills on top of that. Nothing else I really do aside from that.

by squidnh3, Friday, October 20, 2017, 19:16 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

Way of the Sharpshooter, critical hits give you super energy, just getting a lot of kills on top of that. Nothing else I really do aside from that.

Just discovered that this perk combos especially well with Vigilance Wing.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 08:57 (2392 days ago) @ squidnh3

Just discovered that this perk combos especially well with Vigilance Wing.

Ooh, now that's interesting! I'm going to have to give that a shot.

Speed can be fun

by Durandal, Friday, October 20, 2017, 05:56 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

Oh and P.S.

I currently use 8/5/2, with MIDA and StompEEs. It's very fast, and I can outrun anything. However I constantly get shot out of my super while on approach, and I don't win 1:1s unless I can get the first shot or two in. I'm not saying it can't work, but its loads easier on my 1/7/7 titan. I don't even run Uriels/MIDA/Last hope on my titan and can do work. It's just easier, and I don't need as much situational awareness or first shots.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:53 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

Totally. I ran 7/5/1 all of IB with my Hunter, which is my worst class, and never felt like a firefight was stacked unfairly against me. I would engage, kill, and GTFO more than I would as a Warlock or Titan, sure, but most of the time it was to hit the enemy from a different angle, or to lure them to my teammates. You gotta know your class's strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, when I finally switched over to my Titan, I found myself trying to dodge over and over, since I'd come to rely on the usefulness of it. The enemy must have just thought that I was teabagging in the middle of engagements...

Oh and P.S.

Same, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that I'd get to stay alive long enough to collect teammates' orbs more than I do with my other classes, thanks to the increased mobility.

I feel for you hunters but...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:18 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by MacAddictXIV, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:25

Sure, but you still would have a mix of agility in there. The fact of the matter is that agility is an all-or-nothing stat. You either want 0 because resilience and recovery are far more valuable, or you want 10 because you're going to make a build that completely relies on it. Being in the 2-7 agility range essentially is just wasting stat points, and this contributes to hunters feeling weak in pvp. I will also say that the hunter skill trees are not particularly synergistic from a pvp standpoint, and that hunter grenades are by and large completely worthless. All of which speaks to the value of dodge and dodge+reload or dodge+reload+invisibility because that's pretty much the only thing keeping hunters competitive.

I roll out my voidwalker and it's AMAZING how much she just feels like she was *built* for pvp. Devour is OP as hell, plus I also can do a 0/7/7 build AND I get a healing rift? Insane. And then I can also get two supers per game, which I've never done on my hunter.

I'm only somewhat saying this sarcastically, but welcome to Titans in D1 :D
It's nice to have a character that I love playing actually have decent abilities in D2, so I feel you.

Also, people really underestimate 2 things:
1. Flanking is God in PvP and Bungie has made a point of making their maps in D2 to account for this.
2. Smoke grenades are still amazing and I don't care what anyone says (I know it's technically not a "grenade" but whatever)

I feel for you hunters but...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:33 (2393 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

2. Smoke grenades are still amazing and I don't care what anyone says (I know it's technically not a "grenade" but whatever)

Agreed. I actually think they lock you down more than the D1 smoke grenades, just for less time.

Crucible Thoughts

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 12:05 (2394 days ago) @ yakaman

seems like there is less team shotting in the casual playlist, which is probably due to there being more randos. I do think that going to 4v4 is bad, and it was especially noticeable in iron banner. once one team gets the upper hand, they can team shot all the spawn points.

Crucible Thoughts

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 12:35 (2394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

seems like there is less team shotting in the casual playlist, which is probably due to there being more randos. I do think that going to 4v4 is bad, and it was especially noticeable in iron banner. once one team gets the upper hand, they can team shot all the spawn points.

Yep. And the relatively small map sizes (in part, because of the small team sizes) in general contribute to this.

I think the game skewing towards team tactics is exactly *one* of the changes that needed to be made. It's much more satisfying to me to be able to stick with a teammate and clean up just by virtue of combined fire, than to have one really skilled player run roughshod over the map killing my team while all his clueless blueberries bumble around and occasionally do some work on the objective.

~M

Crucible Thoughts

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 16:39 (2394 days ago) @ Malagate

Yep. And the relatively small map sizes (in part, because of the small team sizes) in general contribute to this.

I think the game skewing towards team tactics is exactly *one* of the changes that needed to be made. It's much more satisfying to me to be able to stick with a teammate and clean up just by virtue of combined fire, than to have one really skilled player run roughshod over the map killing my team while all his clueless blueberries bumble around and occasionally do some work on the objective.

~M

The flip side of this is that, no matter how good of a player you are, you feel mostly worthless if you can't coordinate with your teammates, which essentially ruins solo queue play. I think that is very problematic.

Crucible Thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 20:32 (2394 days ago) @ Kahzgul

~M

The flip side of this is that, no matter how good of a player you are, you feel mostly worthless if you can't coordinate with your teammates, which essentially ruins solo queue play. I think that is very problematic.

It’s strange... I don’t disagree with 90% of the criticisms leveled against Destiny 2’s PvP game, and yet I had more fun with last week’s Iron Banner than I ever had with IB in D1. Yes, Des2ny’s crucible is punishing as hell for solo players... but let’s not pretend that D1 was any better in this regard. This single biggest difference between the two games in my estimation is that I don’t die to random BS in Des2ny nearly as often as I did in D1. If I die in Des2ny, I almost always know exactly why, and I usually have an idea of what I could have done differently. It’s a far cry from the D1 days of getting killed through walls by opponents who were already dead, or spawning into a sniper lane, or getting obliterated by super after super after super.

Really, my takeaway is that D2 Crucible is much harder than D1, but also much better.

Crucible Thoughts

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 21:19 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I like D2 Crucible much more than I ever did D1 Crucible.

I'm not versed enough in Crucible to really be able to articulate why. I suspect it's because it feels less like bullshit. 6v6 was a chaotic hellscape, especially if the opposing team got on a super roll and grabbed power ammo. Even when I was playing well, I rarely felt like I was making much of a difference--there was just too much going on.

D2, by comparison, feels tight and controlled, and I always feel like I know exactly what is happening, which routes need to be controlled, etc. I've only played a few matches of D2 crucible solo, so that probably has a large part to do with my favorable reaction.

I don't know how true it actually is, since it's been way too long since I've played it, but D2 Crucible feels much more like Halo multiplayer than D1 did. Maybe that's just imagined on my part, but it feels like I remember Halo 2 Slayer feeling, in a lot of ways (just with less grenade spam).

Crucible Thoughts

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 21:46 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

~M

It’s strange... I don’t disagree with 90% of the criticisms leveled against Destiny 2’s PvP game, and yet I had more fun with last week’s Iron Banner than I ever had with IB in D1. Yes, Des2ny’s crucible is punishing as hell for solo players... but let’s not pretend that D1 was any better in this regard. This single biggest difference between the two games in my estimation is that I don’t die to random BS in Des2ny nearly as often as I did in D1. If I die in Des2ny, I almost always know exactly why, and I usually have an idea of what I could have done differently. It’s a far cry from the D1 days of getting killed through walls by opponents who were already dead, or spawning into a sniper lane, or getting obliterated by super after super after super.

Really, my takeaway is that D2 Crucible is much harder than D1, but also much better.

I agree with this. The prevalence of OHKs in D1 made it full of kills that happened (or didn't happen) because of milliseconds of lag. D2 seems far more forgiving in this regard, and it's harder to die to complete garbage. I apologize if it made it sound like I thought D1 was more fun. I think D1 had more depth and a much higher skill ceiling that D2 does, but overall D2 is a big improvement. That being said, it is also far from perfect, and where D1 gave you a chance, even when you were outgunned, D2 gives nothing. That is, perhaps, as it should be, but I feel as if there's a balance to be struck where a 1v2 scenario shouldn't always be a foregone conclusion.

Crucible Thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 20, 2017, 04:08 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul

~M

I agree with this. The prevalence of OHKs in D1 made it full of kills that happened (or didn't happen) because of milliseconds of lag. D2 seems far more forgiving in this regard, and it's harder to die to complete garbage. I apologize if it made it sound like I thought D1 was more fun. I think D1 had more depth and a much higher skill ceiling that D2 does, but overall D2 is a big improvement. That being said, it is also far from perfect, and where D1 gave you a chance, even when you were outgunned, D2 gives nothing. That is, perhaps, as it should be, but I feel as if there's a balance to be struck where a 1v2 scenario shouldn't always be a foregone conclusion.

I largely agree, although I would just add that D2 does give you ways to take on multiple opponents and win... they’re just more challenging to pull off. And I think I’m ok with that. I’m starting to feel like there’s a layer of depth there that was less important in D1. I’ve been playing with a Sword a lot lately, and it’s been both exciting and fascinating. Figuring out how to use a sword effectively in a game that is dominated by mid-long range combat is no simple task. But it has also lead to my longest kill streaks. There’s something to that, I think.

Swords

by Durandal, Friday, October 20, 2017, 06:14 (2393 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If anything I find swords to be both the easiest to use and the most risky. The need to close with your opponent means they often will be able to fire upon you on the way in.

If you can get them to come to you however, they are toast. Most success I have is to have a second person firing away while I hide behind a corner. His motion will hide me on the tracker, and our opponents will assume only one person is present. This works great on control points, as the other team will jump on the point and right into sword range before they realize I'm there. I've taken out two stormcallers in their super this way.

Rockets are also easy long range weapons, but also easy to dodge.

Snipers don't do enough damage, so everyone always runs or flinches me with scouts.

Been trying fusions, but so/so. The charge time and need to aim makes them a high skill weapon. They typically have only 3-4 shots so I don't see a big advantage over other choices there.

Shotguns I abandoned for swords. Getting close almost requires a OHK and most shotguns are 2 shot.

VS Rockets

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:27 (2393 days ago) @ Durandal

I don't know what it is about rockets in D2, but they seem borderline worthless to me. I can't get a kill with them. I try to go for max velocity and blast radius (using Morrigan-D), but it still seems like anything but a direct hit does no damage. Also tried Curtain Call with cluster bombs and it didn't seem any better.

Swords, on the other hand, are amazing. Nightstalkers with invisibility and Quickfang can do some serious work if the other team isn't paying enough attention. I've gotten more kills in a single power ammo pickup with Quickfang than I have rocket kills in all of D2. You get torn to shreds if you try to rush someone across an open area, but if you can flank a team that's developed tunnel vision trying to plink away at your teammates, man, it's a beautiful thing.

-Disciple

VS Rockets

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:36 (2393 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I don't know what it is about rockets in D2, but they seem borderline worthless to me. I can't get a kill with them. I try to go for max velocity and blast radius (using Morrigan-D), but it still seems like anything but a direct hit does no damage. Also tried Curtain Call with cluster bombs and it didn't seem any better.

In D2 they give seeking rockets really small blast radii, so Morrigan-D will rarely get you a kill in D2 unless you get close. Sins of the Past is what I've had by far the best luck with for rocket launchers in PvP. Very big blast radius with cluster bombs. Even so, it still isn't as crazy good at guaranteeing kills as D1 rocket launchers, but when you get used to their quirks you can get kills most of the time.

In my opinion though Legend of Acrius is the best power weapon in PvP once it's upgraded :)

VS Rockets

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:10 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

I have fun with the Morrigan-D on occasion, but it's just not that effective in PvP. It would need more velocity or blast radius to be much of a contender.

In D2 they give seeking rockets really small blast radii, so Morrigan-D will rarely get you a kill in D2 unless you get close. Sins of the Past is what I've had by far the best luck with for rocket launchers in PvP. Very big blast radius with cluster bombs. Even so, it still isn't as crazy good at guaranteeing kills as D1 rocket launchers, but when you get used to their quirks you can get kills most of the time.

This has been precisely my experience.

In my opinion though Legend of Acrius is the best power weapon in PvP once it's upgraded :)

This is what I've been hoping, and I'm super close. 8/10 Raid seals in-hand. Of all the exotics I've accquired so far, this is the one I have the most anticipation about.

~M

VS Rockets

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:48 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

In D2 they give seeking rockets really small blast radii, so Morrigan-D will rarely get you a kill in D2 unless you get close.

You know, I thought that when I settled on the Morrigan-D, it was because it was capable of the highest velocity and blast radius of the five or so rocket launchers I had in my inventory at the time. I may have latches on that that tracking perk (which has proven to be pretty terrible, even in PvE), and made velocity/blast radius the 2nd priority.

Sins of the Past is what I've had by far the best luck with for rocket launchers in PvP. Very big blast radius with cluster bombs. Even so, it still isn't as crazy good at guaranteeing kills as D1 rocket launchers, but when you get used to their quirks you can get kills most of the time.

My two IRL buddies that I run with frequently have both managed to get these from the clan raid packages and they love them. I haven't been so fortunate, yet.

One of these days, I'm going to get my blind crew to all online together long enough to finally finish this stupid raid so I can start working on getting this thing :p

-Disciple

D1 PvP != D2 PvP

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:33 (2393 days ago) @ Kahzgul

~M

I think this says a lot. D1 PvP was a veteran in what it was. It had been tweaked from a lot of use. But people have to understand that D2 PvP is a new beast entirely and thus it's also brand new. It's going to take bungie a little while to tweak it to best performance. Just like D1 PvP.

I understand it's hard for us to separate D1 vs D2 PvP. Most of us thinkg of D2 PvP as just an upgraded version of D1. But as I said before it's a completely different beast that has to go through it's own refinement process like D1.

Personally, as someone who does much better as a "team player" than going lone wolf, I'm really excited for what PvP is going to become. And this is coming from someone who really, really did not like D1 PvP in general

D1 PvP != D2 PvP

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 14:56 (2393 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think for a lot of people that fact is the biggest problem. Not to oversimplify it to the point that I am suggesting that one is inherently superior or that people are right or wrong to wish D2 PvP was more like D1 PvP.

However, a lot of the design of D1 PvP felt like it was "Fun First, Sweat Second" and D2 completely flipped that in some very detrimental ways. Perhaps I'll finish up my essay on my issues with D2 specifically directed toward PvP one of these days.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread