How The Makers of Destiny Learnt From Their Mistakes (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 20, 2017, 06:52 (2393 days ago)

No that is not a typo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41667810/how-the-makers-of-destiny-2-learnt-from-their-mistakes

"We knew it had amazing parts... but we also saw the real mistakes we made."

"[W]e knocked Taylor Swift from first place."

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 20, 2017, 06:58 (2393 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

As long as she's still in second! ;)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:01 (2393 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

She is Number 2, that's for sure...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:05 (2393 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

+2

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:27 (2393 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

How The Makers of Destiny Learnt From Their Mistakes

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:37 (2393 days ago) @ breitzen

So this was....a commercial for the full interview which is available tomorrow? I guess I'll have to hit them up over the weekend, then. Very curious as to what JJ said in full.

~M

Don't get hopes up, but do try to watch.

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:17 (2393 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Funkmon, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:25

So this was....a commercial for the full interview which is available tomorrow? I guess I'll have to hit them up over the weekend, then. Very curious as to what JJ said in full.

~M

Yeah, I'm not sure I have heard a real long form Jason Jones interview in my life. But this won't be one.

I've unfortunately backed myself into being staff of a private site for British expats who miss their TV and radik and don't know how to get it internationally. Hence, I've watched a lot of Click.

Click is a 24 minute long tech news program that airs on BBC News on Saturdays. They have quick cuts, lowest common denominator tech-literate reporting (which is perfect), and usually fill the show with one big story, lasting 10 minutes, then a bunch of smaller stories, lasting between 4-7 minutes, depending on how many they have. Some are themed episodes with a bunch of little ones, but this one doesn't appear to be.

The one airing Saturday is described thusly:

Click goes on board one of the most advanced sailing yachts in the world, during the 1st leg of its 45000 nautical mile journey. They see the tech in action and hear from the team. Click also gets an exclusive look behind the scenes of video games developers Bungie, and looks at some of the services we receive courtesy of Amazon web services, an unknown arm of the tech giant which carries a giant chunk of the world's data.

I imagine Destiny will be at most a 7 minute doc, with less content than a vidoc. I expect very little Jason Jones, and very little new information.

That said, they are usually extremely good in their reporting, so it might be the best 5 minutes of Bungie ever. Who knows?

It does air on BBC World News, so we can watch it on TV elsewhere, but I don't know the schedule, and they also post them up a few days after the airdate on the YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ClickBBC

So, if we can wait until then, we can all watch it perfectly legitimately and make sure the BBC's commercial arm gets views and ad revenue.

Michael Salvatore tells us: .... "I Love Taylor Swift"

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:39 (2393 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Also says a word to forum swifters: Enough is enough.

by Robot Chickens, Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:56 (2393 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:04 (2393 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

[image]

your sad devotion to that ancient religion...

by Robot Chickens, Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:49 (2393 days ago) @ unoudid

[image]

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:17 (2393 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Don’t make me sign ever post with Taylor Swift gifs . . .

by Avateur @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 14:19 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And when you start, let me guess, it's going to be nonstop, "Look what you made me do" with every reply that includes the signature, right?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 15:55 (2392 days ago) @ Avateur

I can always lead with “Are you ready for it?” instead.

Unless it's to Anton P. Nym, then there's a better opener.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 06:44 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

it Looks like she’s flicking us off the whole video.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 14:25 (2391 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Heh.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 13:10 (2390 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Taylor Swift is canon. Taylor Swift must become permanent.

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:57 (2393 days ago) @ unoudid

This must be an always available theme and I would appreciate a redirect from Swift.bungie.org to the DBO forums.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:29 (2393 days ago) @ Funkmon

This must be an always available theme and I would appreciate a redirect from Swift.bungie.org to the DBO forums.

I am not unfamiliar with DNS config and could definitely do this if given the proper access. I await a reply.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:58 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

I am not unfamiliar with DNS config and could definitely do this if given the proper access. I await a reply.

Not DNS, the webserver could just respond w/ a 301... or there could be a meta-refresh in the html header.

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=DBO">

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:14 (2393 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Thanks for posting.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:51 (2393 days ago) @ breitzen

Looking forward to the video tomorrow.

How The Makers of Destiny Learnt From Their Mistakes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:53 (2393 days ago) @ breitzen

No that is not a typo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41667810/how-the-makers-of-destiny-2-learnt-from-their-mistakes

"We knew it had amazing parts... but we also saw the real mistakes we made."

They did! I’m legitimately very happy with how Des2ny turned out, and tons of things that I thought were wrong with Destiny were fixed. So why is everyone on reddit complaining right now?

Sometimes fans don’t know what they want. Listening is important, but so is doing what you think is right to make a better game. Fans are calling for random rolls to return. That would be a mistake. They want power level to matter again. Another mistake. They want more end game grind. Another mistake! These things lacking are actually awesome!

I hope they learn the right lessons. Luke says it himself in the interview: it takes nine months to build what people complete in 20 minutes. That right there is a fundamental problem with MMOs and loot games that want you to play perpetually.

I hope Bungie continues to evolve and not slide backwards.

P.S. if anyone at Bungie is reading this I’d still love to interview Jason Jones about the past for my book. You know where to go :-p

Bungie Learnt From Their Mistakes, & My End-Game Disconnect.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, October 20, 2017, 11:00 (2393 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by dogcow, Friday, October 20, 2017, 11:03

They did! I’m legitimately very happy with how Des2ny turned out, and tons of things that I thought were wrong with Destiny were fixed.

Sometimes fans don’t know what they want. Listening is important, but so is doing what you think is right to make a better game. Fans are calling for random rolls to return. That would be a mistake. They want power level to matter again. Another mistake. They want more end game grind. Another mistake! These things lacking are actually awesome!

I think D2 is a much better game than D1 was. I love D2.

Regarding random rolls & people's desire to have them back. IMHO this is just people wanting their digital crack back.

I'm not as hooked as I was on D1, which is a good thing. But for me, I suspect it's not because of the removal of the random rolls, I believe it's because I've just ... "moved on". My 'evidence' for this? The last SRL event & ROI expansion didn't hook/engage me like Vanilla did, yet both had random rolls on stuff. Like you, I also think that bringing back random rolls would be a mistake.

I want to mention that I felt let down with the end-game of D2, and this is an opportunity for me to share, so I'm taking the liberty to do that.

Maybe I missed something, but Destiny 2 didn't pull/lead me into the end-game very well. I finished the campaign & just felt like I didn't know what to do, nor did I feel compelled to do anything (other than the raid, but that was just because of my previous positive experiences with raids). Sure I could run strikes, but I didn't feel they tied into the story. Yeah, I could play PvP, but nobody else was playing when I was ready to & I didn't want to run it solo. There was The Raid, which I eventually got to enjoy, but it felt COMPLETELY disconnected from the main story to me. Where was the story tie-in? I must have missed a cutscene or dialog or something. It felt about as connected to the story as a random strike did, which is to say not connected.

Anyway, mini-rant over. I pretty much love D2, please don't bring back the super-slot-machine bungie.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 20, 2017, 11:32 (2393 days ago) @ dogcow

Sure I could run strikes, but I didn't feel they tied into the story.

Strikes feel surprisingly like an afterthought in D2 to me... at least in terms of how they are brought into the game. While D1's story was a mess, I quite liked the initial structure of the campaign; a short series of campaign missions that culminate in a strike, then moving on to another series of missions that culminate in another strike, etc.

Where was the story tie-in? I must have missed a cutscene or dialog or something. It felt about as connected to the story as a random strike did, which is to say not connected.

Spoilers: There is a subtle tie-in through one of the Adventures on Nessus. It is revealed that Emperor Callus is on his way to our solar system to grow fat with riches or something along those lines (don't remember the exact wording).

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, October 20, 2017, 13:38 (2392 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sure I could run strikes, but I didn't feel they tied into the story.

Strikes feel surprisingly like an afterthought in D2 to me... at least in terms of how they are brought into the game. While D1's story was a mess, I quite liked the initial structure of the campaign; a short series of campaign missions that culminate in a strike, then moving on to another series of missions that culminate in another strike, etc.

Where was the story tie-in? I must have missed a cutscene or dialog or something. It felt about as connected to the story as a random strike did, which is to say not connected.

Spoilers: There is a subtle tie-in through one of the Adventures on Nessus. It is revealed that Emperor Callus is on his way to our solar system to grow fat with riches or something along those lines (don't remember the exact wording).

Yeah, I caught that, but it was very minor, especially for something as significant as the raid. Plus what was said, The BLAM-ING EMPEROR of the Cabal is coming to our little solar system. I think a big deal should be made out of that, not just a byline. That line works as a great ice breaker, but more should have come after it.

EDIT: I'm just backseat driving & bringing up ways it could be improved. I still love D2 & think it's loads more approachable for the masses. The storytelling is more better, and that's very good.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 11:36 (2393 days ago) @ dogcow

I agree. I like the post-campaign game of TTK much more. It felt much more coherent, with missions and strikes and public events that took you everywhere while still being presented through the context of Oryx and the Taken or his Hive commanders. D2 is excellent, but feels like a step back in that regard.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:23 (2392 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I agree. I like the post-campaign game of TTK much more. It felt much more coherent, with missions and strikes and public events that took you everywhere while still being presented through the context of Oryx and the Taken or his Hive commanders. D2 is excellent, but feels like a step back in that regard.

I think the perfect route for Desti3 / Destin3 / D3stiny would be to have a Halo like campaign, but a TTK like endgame (in terms of mission construction, the questification could go away).

by Kahzgul, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 17:50 (2390 days ago) @ dogcow

100% agree.

IMO the best "endgame" Destiny 1 had was after TTK... you finished the story and whole bunch of really cool quests unlocked all at once. The campaign played more like a prologue, the meat of the game was the 'endgame' and then you had the raid as a lovely conclusion to the story.

+1

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, October 23, 2017, 08:25 (2390 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread