For the Collectors: DestinySets item tracker (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 07:18 (2375 days ago)
edited by Schedonnardus, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 07:22

https://destinysets.com/

you can now keep track of all the gear that you've collected

Edit: so, it only checks off gear in your inventory and vault. so if you delete something, it gets unchecked.

For the Collectors: DestinySets item tracker

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 07:52 (2375 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Where does Bungie authorize the use of this app? I'm hesitant to use my credentials in these situations.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 08:06 (2375 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

i don't think these sites store your credentials. You just authorize Bungie to allow them to look at your inventory. Same as with Destiny Item Manager, or any other app using the Destiny API.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 08:09 (2375 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

i don't think these sites store your credentials. You just authorize Bungie to allow them to look at your inventory. Same as with Destiny Item Manager, or any other app using the Destiny API.

That's what I'm getting at. How do I know it's the Bungie website I'm dealing with? This extends to Xbox Live too credentials too.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 08:23 (2375 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

That's what I'm getting at. How do I know it's the Bungie website I'm dealing with? This extends to Xbox Live too credentials too.

b/c it redirects you to https://www.bungie.net/en/Application/Authorize/11192, and after you authorize it, you get a notification from the destiny app

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 09:14 (2375 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I sort of understand the fear... but as Sched points out, the actual authorization is done on b.net. (That is: the button you find on DestinySets just brings you to B.net, where you're asked to approve the use of your credentials.)

DestinySets never sees your login info.

Pro Tip: Check the URL

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 11:36 (2375 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How do I know it's the Bungie website I'm dealing with? This extends to Xbox Live too credentials too.

When the login auth page shows up, check its URL. If it's anything other than a domain that you're expecting, then it's a phishing scam. Also, use a good password manager. :)

Thanks everyone. My confidence has improved.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 11:54 (2375 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Mine hasn't. Tinfoil hat firmly planted (even if its safe)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 23:21 (2374 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 14:51 (2374 days ago) @ Beorn

How do I know it's the Bungie website I'm dealing with? This extends to Xbox Live too credentials too.

When the login auth page shows up, check its URL. If it's anything other than a domain that you're expecting, then it's a phishing scam. Also, use a good password manager. :)

Is it very difficult or even impossible to spoof a URL? I genuinely know nothing about that sort of stuff. Am I generally good if I know the URL and see the https address?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 15:00 (2374 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes.

Well...

No.

Watch out for IDN homograph attacks... you know... as much as possible.

Pro Pro Tip: Log in separately then authorize

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 16:03 (2374 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If you REALLY want to make sure, first login on Bungie.net (make sure cookies are enabled) on the same device then go to authorize the website. It should not ask you to enter a password, if it does, it could be a phishing scheme.

Only works for websites.

Password Managers

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, October 27, 2017, 07:50 (2374 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Watch out for IDN homograph attacks... you know... as much as possible.

Good point. This is exactly why I suggested the use of a good password manager, though – they cannot be spoofed by a character that looks the same but is actually different.

Password Managers

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 27, 2017, 07:57 (2374 days ago) @ Beorn

INdeed.

1Pаsswоrd is my choice for password managers.

Password Managers

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 27, 2017, 08:00 (2374 days ago) @ Ragashingo

INdeed.

1Pаsswоrd is my choice for password managers.

I've many great things from many different people about this. I've just been to lazy to set it up.

Password Managers

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 27, 2017, 08:20 (2374 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I use 1Pаsswоrd all the time. It's the very first thing I put on my Mac, iPHone, or iPad. Not only are none of my passwords the same across the internet, I don't even know my passwords at this point. They are all just random strings or letters, numbers, and symbols. It's super great knowing that even if any site gets hacked they won't get into any of my other stuff.

Password Managers

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 27, 2017, 09:00 (2374 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I could use this on my apple hardware, but I regularly have to use a PC--is there a client for that?

PC Client, Too

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, October 27, 2017, 10:29 (2374 days ago) @ Kermit

I could use this on my apple hardware, but I regularly have to use a PC--is there a client for that?

They have a Windows client, as well. Their annual subscription is $36, and it's worth every penny (and probably more). I use 1Password on my Mac, PC, and iOS devices every day. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 27, 2017, 11:08 (2374 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 27, 2017, 21:33 (2373 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I personally use LastPass, but it's the exact same situation for me this far into it.

LastPass, btw, has a free version

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 28, 2017, 16:17 (2372 days ago) @ ZackDark

It is somewhat limited, but it's good if you're still unsure whether or not you'd like to use a password manager.

I will also happily shill for 1password.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, October 28, 2017, 15:46 (2372 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Huh...

by Oholiab @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 08:02 (2375 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

All this time I thought the Dead End Cure 2.1 armor WAS the Dead Orbit armor!

Not Your Fault.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 22:25 (2374 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

There was a stupid Destiny site for Exotics, I forgot the name of it: they claim to track your Exotics and show how many you have of what, the stuff that's left, all that junk; and of course you had to make an account. But it turns out you had to check off each Exotic manually. Equally useless!

Try the website Light.gg too

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 23:08 (2374 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by Pyromancy, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 23:32

I came across another one of these sites the other day over on the subreddit. It is called Light.gg
Without trying it out, it looked like a pretty good little tool.

I'm not really on board with 3rd party tools that require authorization from my account credentials. To my knowledge I haven't really used one yet and don't have a plan to start using one. I'm hoping that Bungie will provide their in game/in application 1st party release solution sooner rather than later.
After basically scrapping 3 years of collecting progress in Destiny 1 and then declaring Destiny 2 a "collection game" prior to providing the basic tools in game for collecting, it is down right low. It is like putting the proverbial cart before the horse. To compound it, there are items that are collectible, but out of reach beyond a soft pay wall, and will be going away forever after an unprovided timegate/date on the calendar? Frustrating beyond belief.

I was not truly involved with collecting in Destiny 1 until Bungie themselves made it a rewarded focus during Rise of Iron and Age of Triumph with the addition of in game 'books' that tracked progress. Don't get me wrong I was involved with saving cool unique weapons, special armor sets, event specific things, and some mission items/consumables that I liked. And I had a Vault space that was jam packed and difficult to manage. However I was not concerned barely at all with vendor sold Emblems, Ships, Shaders, Sparrows, Exotics, etc until there were active book nodes for them (The various in game kiosks were a god-send). That is when my pre-existing inner monster was released.
With the exception of unique Emblems, I don't care much for personalization options. These items were more or less personalization items and were basically inconsequential to me at that time.
All around I am a bit of a completionist/perfectionist when it comes to gaming, at times cripplingly so. Enough that sometimes I cannot start and just play to enjoy a game without a paranoia that I might be missing progress/achievement/item/etc. Or I will barely start a game and get side tracked and then never actually finish it. I've always been a secret hunter and a careful player but I think this evolved to a new level with Xbox Achievements.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 11:37 (2374 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I'm not really on board with 3rd party tools that require authorization from my account credentials. To my knowledge I haven't really used one yet and don't have a plan to start using one. I'm hoping that Bungie will provide their in game/in application 1st party release solution sooner rather than later.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but Bungie decided that providing a robust API was a far more productive use of their time than building tools of this kind. The Destiny Companion App will always be decent - but if you want GREAT tools, they're COUNTING on you using 3rd party apps.

(The stuff we're talking about might NEVER be available from Bungie, directly.)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, October 27, 2017, 12:29 (2374 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Pyromancy, Friday, October 27, 2017, 12:34

I'm hoping that Bungie will provide their in game/in application 1st party release solution sooner rather than later.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but Bungie decided that providing a robust API was a far more productive use of their time than building tools of this kind. The Destiny Companion App will always be decent - but if you want GREAT tools, they're COUNTING on you using 3rd party apps.

(The stuff we're talking about might NEVER be available from Bungie, directly.)

Yeah, I can for sure see where you (or perhaps Bungie) may be coming from. It makes tons of sense to spend resources wisely and examine the trade offs.

I guess maybe I'm talking about different stuff than the collective 'we'. I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles. I don't really need 'load outs' or any of the other advanced features somehow provided by 3rd party. By 1st party release I just mean in game (or official companion application), basic functionality.

So do you think that an upgraded vault with better sort options is for sure off the table?
Or upgraded 'collection' pages? Separate individual pages for Ship, Sparrow, Shader, Emote, etc.
Bungie.net Armory with player inventory access is gone for good?
Kiosks won't be making a triumphant return with some future Event or Downloadable Content (I wouldn't even be mad if all the kiosks had to be hidden under menus of the current singular Vault - or sequestered to The Farm or something)?
How about a page with the Season Items that will be getting locked away forever, and a proposed date with when those are going to be magically 'going away for good'?

(I hope none of this sounds condescending. I'm being completely honest here)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread