So much installing (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 10:59 (2375 days ago)

I like game discs. I really do. But it seems like everyone is trying so hard to get me to switch to digital.

I mean, even when you have a disc the game installs fully to your HD. Today I have free, so I'm excited to try Horizon Zero Dawn… but oops. Not enough space. Really? I thought I had 1TB? Oh wow… it's totally full with game installs that I have discs for.

We should just go back to cartridges. I mean, how much would a 50GB SSD even cost in a few years mass produced? You could even save your game on the "cart" or internal storage.

I can only dream that's how the PS5 will work. I just hate deleting shit on my console when I should be playing.

So much installing

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 11:32 (2375 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We should just go back to cartridges. I mean, how much would a 50GB SSD even cost in a few years mass produced? You could even save your game on the "cart" or internal storage.

Theoretically possible. The main reason they went to optical discs was probably because they offered WAY more space. Might have been cheaper, too. Cheap large flash storage is more feasible these days, although still nowhere NEAR as cheap per unit. But at least feasible.

That being said, I don't see it happening for consoles. I think it's more likely they'll forgo physical distribution entirely before they pivot from optical disc back to flash media. Just seems to be the way things are going.

So much installing

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 11:47 (2375 days ago) @ stabbim

That being said, I don't see it happening for consoles. I think it's more likely they'll forgo physical distribution entirely before they pivot from optical disc back to flash media. Just seems to be the way things are going.

they want you to buy digital to kill the resale market. Publishers don't make any money on used discs.

So much installing

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 11:53 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I like game discs. I really do. But it seems like everyone is trying so hard to get me to switch to digital.

I mean, even when you have a disc the game installs fully to your HD. Today I have free, so I'm excited to try Horizon Zero Dawn… but oops. Not enough space. Really? I thought I had 1TB? Oh wow… it's totally full with game installs that I have discs for.

I can only dream that's how the PS5 will work. I just hate deleting shit on my console when I should be playing.

Yeah, calling that a "dream" is naive in and of itself! You are already one of the last "holdouts" that still buys physical. The console manufacturers already toyed with the idea of ditching support of physical media this generation, and there was enough outcry that they didn't go ahead with taking that step. But, I think the general consumer is now ready, and I will actually be mildly surprised if the next generation of console hardware still has disc slots (or any other physical media support).

I hope you are able to get H:ZD installed soon enough to still spend most of your day diving in!

So much installing

by TheOmegaClown, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 12:13 (2374 days ago) @ Speedracer513

My guess is next gen console gaming will be entirely on the cloud and entirely subscription based. I'm totally for cartidges, though.

Just Like The Good Ol' Days

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 22:19 (2374 days ago) @ TheOmegaClown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7jkgOguZI

Boy, I am just on an inappropriate roll...

So much installing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 12:26 (2374 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I hope you are able to get H:ZD installed soon enough to still spend most of your day diving in!

Dude, it's completely awesome so far and my eyes got watery after just an hour with these characters. Sure, some of the writing and presentation is clunky, but more often than not it's really freaking good.

:-)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 12:33 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Dude, it's completely awesome so far and my eyes got watery after just an hour with these characters. Sure, some of the writing and presentation is clunky, but more often than not it's really freaking good.

Just wait until you get to the last 4-5 story missions! :-)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 13:29 (2374 days ago) @ Speedracer513

[half of DBO, speaking to Cody:]

“Follow.”

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 14:02 (2374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

“Follow.”

Cody speaking to half of DBO:

Shut up and no spoilers!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 14:07 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

“Follow.”

Cody speaking to half of DBO:

Shut up and no spoilers!

Lol

:D

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 12:33 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

So much installing

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 13:27 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Did you ever finish Dishonored?

So much installing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 14:02 (2374 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Did you ever finish Dishonored?

No. I can't play it on the PS4. I'm going to pick it up for the PC when I can.

This is excruciating....

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 14:18 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

This is excruciating....

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 14:25 (2374 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So was trying to play it on the PS4 with bad controls, bad framerate, and shitty graphics.

Fair enough

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 15:08 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So was trying to play it on the PS4 with bad controls, bad framerate, and shitty graphics.

The original dishonored felt pretty good on 360 and Dishonored 2 looks and feels amazing on an XB1, and I assume a PS4.

So much installing

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 12:40 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's on a smaller scale, but this is how the Nintendo Switch works for physical games. You just plug in the cartridge and you're ready to go, barring any patches you want to download. Of the 25gb of built-in storage, I've only used 700mb.

The obvious downside is that Nintendo requires developers to chip in for the manufacturing cost of the cartridges, which is why many multiplatform games on the switch are $10 more than on other platforms.

So much installing

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 13:30 (2374 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's on a smaller scale, but this is how the Nintendo Switch works for physical games. You just plug in the cartridge and you're ready to go, barring any patches you want to download. Of the 25gb of built-in storage, I've only used 700mb.

The obvious downside is that Nintendo requires developers to chip in for the manufacturing cost of the cartridges, which is why many multiplatform games on the switch are $10 more than on other platforms.

It's not how it works for every game, though. The new NBA 2K18 requires a microSD card to install the game, even if you buy the cartridge.

I love my Switch (Can't wait for 11pm for Odyssey tonight!), but it's not like they've solved the problem.

So much installing

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 23:08 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 23:14

I thought/hoped that the Gamestop/Amazon physical editions of Destiny 2 PC would have a disc included. I would have even been ok if the disc had ONLY featured a download for the BattleNet launcher, or a DRM license, or something-anything basic to tie the physical edition to the digital download. There is really no linking them at all.

Turns out that they did not include a disk at all, and instead included a paper/cardboard fake disc with the digital download code on it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qkk4y
https://imgur.com/gallery/F9EY3

Also FYI: the Box Acronym for Destiny 2 PC Physical Editions features the same acronym as the console versions. It appears it is the same acronym across all platforms and across all editions. PC Box Acronym - ICDSIFD
I would post a small update to the original Acronym post from console launch, but it is locked up at this point in time.

uhhhhhh

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 27, 2017, 14:26 (2373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So Wolfenstein and Hidden Agenda just came out…

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY GOOD GAMES ALL AT ONCE.

uhhhhhh

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 27, 2017, 14:35 (2373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yep, and Stranger Things season 2 is out today as well. Luckily, I was an idiot and forgot to start downloading Wolfenstein during lunch, so at least I know which one I'll be starting first!

uhhhhhh

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 27, 2017, 14:45 (2373 days ago) @ stabbim

Yep, and Stranger Things season 2 is out today as well. Luckily, I was an idiot and forgot to start downloading Wolfenstein during lunch, so at least I know which one I'll be starting first!

And for kids (and creepy adults who have a Switch), Super Mario Odyssey came out, too!

But really, Max Haas!

uhhhhhh

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 27, 2017, 14:47 (2373 days ago) @ Korny

Yep, and Stranger Things season 2 is out today as well.

If they bring Barb back I swear I'm done.

uhhhhhh

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 27, 2017, 15:13 (2373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I never understood why people wanted her to be found alive in S1. Her character didn't really do anything in the "normal" world and she wasn't all that likeable, and that should have been OK because the whole point of her was to disappear, thereby deepening the mystery of everything that was going on. She didn't NEED to come back to accomplish that, and doing so wouldn't have led anywhere. It would only serve to make it seem like the upside-down wasn't all that dangerous after all. And saying "oh actually things were never that bad" would have ruined the show.

Jeez Louise.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 15:56 (2373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The creators already said (months ago) that that wasn't happening. Relax.

uhhhhhh

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 15:56 (2373 days ago) @ Korny

Mario Odyssey is probably the best game to come out this year. It’s ridiculously good.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread