“SHARE” (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 30, 2017, 10:45 (2371 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, October 30, 2017, 10:51

As some might have noticed, I’m multi platform now. That mean learning some things. The thing I wish to learn about today is the Share button, it’s uses, it’s options, what similarities and differences it has to the Xbone’s feature set. I tried asking my normal gaming group and they barely responded. In their defense, I asked the following questions in the most broken, inconsistent, half teasing way possible. So, not really their fault. :p

Anyway, some specific questions:

1. When I recorded this clip of Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia I initially got a 14ish minute clip that I had to trim down. Is that the way thing are done? Or is there some option to only record the last X minutes? My Xbone is set for the last 45 seconds, for instance, with the option to grab up to the last five minutes. Anything similar on PS4?

2. What if I want to record something that is about to happen? How do I do that? And how long can I record for?

3. What are the various ways to get screenshots and video off? I can upload directly to YouTube and the clips seem to be in the gallery. What if I want to get a video onto my iPad? For Xbone, I can upload to Microsoft’s OneDrive then download it to iOS’ photo library. How can I do something similar on PS4? What about uploading to Dropbox?

4. What else should I know about my PS4? I’ve mainly just been playing games. Are there cool things I should know? Or settings I should change for better-ness?

Thanks!

paging Kornelius Munkerson.... you're the expert here afaik

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, October 30, 2017, 10:46 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

“SHARE”

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:10 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo

1. When I recorded this clip of Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia I initially got a 14ish minute clip that I had to trim down. Is that the way thing are done? Or is there some option to only record the last X minutes? My Xbone is set for the last 45 seconds, for instance, with the option to grab up to the last five minutes. Anything similar on PS4?

PS4 is always recording, but saves when you save a movie. You can set the duration in the settings, and I think it goes up to 30 mins on the Pro, but you can set it much lower.

2. What if I want to record something that is about to happen? How do I do that? And how long can I record for?

Let it happen, then press share and save the movie.

3. What are the various ways to get screenshots and video off? I can upload directly to YouTube and the clips seem to be in the gallery. What if I want to get a video onto my iPad? For Xbone, I can upload to Microsoft’s OneDrive then download it to iOS’ photo library. How can I do something similar on PS4? What about uploading to Dropbox?

Copy to a USB device. Insert a thumb drive or hard disk, and you can copy them directly to it. I think it has to be FAT or exFAT.

I saw the Munky signal and came as soon as I could...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:11 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Korny, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:47

As some might have noticed, I’m multi platform now. That mean learning some things. The thing I wish to learn about today is the Share button, it’s uses, it’s options, what similarities and differences it has to the Xbone’s feature set. I tried asking my normal gaming group and they barely responded. In their defense, I asked the following questions in the most broken, inconsistent, half teasing way possible. So, not really their fault. :p

1. When I recorded this clip of Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia I initially got a 14ish minute clip that I had to trim down. Is that the way thing are done? Or is there some option to only record the last X minutes? My Xbone is set for the last 45 seconds, for instance with the option to grab up to the last five minutes. Anything similar on PS4?

You can choose how long you want it to record. By default, it records the last 15, though you can increase/decrease it by clicking the Share button, then going down to the Settings and Clip settings.

I leave it at 15-minutes (in case multiplayer Matches in Destiny go on too long, or I forget to save a clip and need a solid window), and between loading screens I go to name the clip so I remember why I saved it (Press the Options button on the controller when hovering over the clip in the Capture Gallery, then "Clip Information").

2. What if I want to record something that is about to happen? How do I do that?

By default, you double-click the Share button to start a new recording (You'll hear a *Ding*). It will stop recording when you single-click the Share button again, or when it hits the designated limit (15 minutes by default). You'll hear another ding, and it will go back to capturing the last 15 minutes like normal.

You can transfer the videos and clips directly to a flash drive (plug it in, then click Options when in a Capture folder to pick the clips that you want to move), but I don't think there's a way to upload them to a cloud service

4. What else should I know about my PS4? I’ve mainly just been playing games. Are there cool things I should know? Or settings I should change for better-ness?

In the Share settings, you can change the screenshots to save as PNG rather than JPEG (the default)
Also, make sure you check the Power Settings, so you can have it charging devices all the time (it has a three-hour timer by default IIRC)
And be sure to go through the Settings very thoroughly, since there are a few neat features that are off by default.

And for the love of all that is holy, be sure to select "Always share voice" in the Party settings!

"Always Share Voice" is important. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:43 (2371 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

"Always Share Voice" is important. =) +1000

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 30, 2017, 13:18 (2371 days ago) @ slycrel

I’m looking at you, Ottermack ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:00 (2371 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m looking at you, Ottermack ;)

It's for our own protection. Everyone would swoon at his sexy voice and pay no attention to the video.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2017, 16:23 (2370 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, he just doesn’t want the entire internet to hear him snoring when he falls asleep halfway through a raid. (:

LOL

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 05:50 (2369 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

“SHARE”

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:21 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Thanks!

Since the admin gods have wrongly decided that the gamertag spreadsheet is worthless and took it away without even asking us or offering a suitable replacement, what is your gamertag?

“SHARE”

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:01 (2371 days ago) @ Kermit

Ragashingo1

...because somebody (possibly me) registered Ragashingo a long long time ago and never used it. :(

Just a word of caution, I got this PS4 to play the single player story based games that Microsoft doesn't seem super interested in making / attracting. I have no plans to pay for PSN and I certainly will not be grinding Destiny on two platforms.

My game schedule looks something like:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Completed)
Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia (In progress.. I'm gonna be putting up a question thread on it later today!)
The Last of Us
Beyond: Two Souls
and anything else I can think of.

“SHARE”

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:09 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia (In progress.. I'm gonna be putting up a question thread on it >later today!)
The Last of Us
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Uncharted 1-4 + The Lost Legacy
Helldivers
Journey
The Order: 1886

FTFY

“SHARE”

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:28 (2371 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by Korny, Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:33

Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia (In progress.. I'm gonna be putting up a question thread on it >later today!)
The Last of Us
Helldivers
Journey

FTFY

The Order: 1886 is $4 right now. It commits the cheapLEY mortal sin of not giving you breakdancing abilities for the first ten minutes, but if you crank up the difficulty to Hard, you'll more than get your money's worth. The art direction is gorgeous, the plot is solid, and the gameplay can be fun, but not too challenging (there are only two fights in the game where things get super difficult, and they're pretty close to the end). The cutscene-to-gameplay ratio is pretty high, but at least it's not boring (should take you about eight hours to beat).

Also:

Bloodborne (The Dark Souls team asked themselves "What if we make a game like Dark Souls, but good?")
Nioh (Dark Souls made by the Ninja Gaiden team)
Until Dawn is $6 today
Witcher 3 is $20 today
Grim Fandango Remastered is $3 today

“SHARE”

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:35 (2371 days ago) @ Korny

The Last of Us
Helldivers
Journey

FTFY

The Order: 1886 is $4 right now. It commits the cheapLEY mortal sin of not giving you breakdancing abilities for the first ten minutes, but if you crank up the difficulty to Hard, you'll more than get your money's worth. The art direction is gorgeous, the plot is solid, and the gameplay can be fun, but not too challenging (there are only two fights in the game where things get super difficult, and they're pretty close to the end). The cutscene-to-gameplay ratio is pretty high, but at least it's not boring (should take you about eight hours to beat).

Nice! I actually thought about adding a disclaimer that he should rent The Order or wait for a deep discount because, although I actually did like it and was glad I played it, it was disappointing/underwhelming and I'm glad I rented it and didn't pay anywhere near full price. I'll probably pick it up for $4 though, and go back through another run to get the Platinum!

“SHARE”

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:38 (2370 days ago) @ Korny

Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games ever, and the remastering "fixed" the controls so the only thing people ever say against it does not apply.

Buy it, everyone!

“SHARE”

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2017, 16:21 (2370 days ago) @ Korny

On a related note—you were right. I started MGS V and wanted to pull my hair out almost immediately. It’s a shame, I’ll never experience what that game actually is.

“SHARE”

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:11 (2370 days ago) @ cheapLEY

On a related note—you were right. I started MGS V and wanted to pull my hair out almost immediately. It’s a shame, I’ll never experience what that game actually is.

Can you elaborate? While I found the story lacking, the number of options and depth in the mechanics was absolutely awesome.

“SHARE”

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:22 (2370 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can you elaborate? While I found the story lacking, the number of options and depth in the mechanics was absolutely awesome.

I wouldn't know--I didn't get that far. The opening is so painfully long and slow, especially for someone like me who isn't already deep into the MGS story. It has to be the worst opening for a video game maybe ever, right up there with The Order.

It's one of the few things I look at as nearly unforgivable in video games--making character movement unresponsive, slow, and painful. I hate the walking and talking sections in Gears of War games, but by the time I get to one of those, I've at least played the game and know what the game is actually like.

Both MGS V and The Order go as far as to start their games with overly long segments where the player character moves frustratingly slowly, and I just can't stand it. Nothing in video games gets me more frustrated. If it's far enough into the game, I can get through it, but if you're going to open the game in that manner, I'm just done. I don't have the time to deal with that bullshit, and honestly, in the case of MGS V, I know I'm missing out on what's widely regarded as a brilliant game, but I'm too spiteful to forgive such a shitty, player unfriendly opening.

Here's the thread I started about this exact topic in regards to The Order 1886.

“SHARE”

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:26 (2370 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's one of the few things I look at as nearly unforgivable in video games--making character movement unresponsive, slow, and painful. I hate the walking and talking sections in Gears of War games, but by the time I get to one of those, I've at least played the game and know what the game is actually like.

Des2ny was guilty of this too. But you got through it. Get through this.

“SHARE”

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:32 (2370 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Des2ny was guilty of this too. But you got through it. Get through this.

Destiny 2 did it after a very well designed mission that showcases what's in store for the rest of the game, and was much, much shorter. Not too mention the fact that I have an immense amount of good will built up with Bungie FPSs to push me through. It's not MGS V's fault that I don't have that with MGS, but I don't have it in any case, and the game does nothing to show me that the game will actually be fun once I push through. Sure, I know that logically it will--I've read the reviews and seen the videos.

As ever, it's still a case of "too many things, too little time." I'm loving Mario Odyssey and don't intend to stop playing it any time soon, and the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC is next week, and I still haven't finished Breath of the Wild, and before we know it Curse of Osiris will be here, and . . .

MGS V doesn't have a chance any time soon.

“SHARE”

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 30, 2017, 13:02 (2371 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia = Horizon: Zero Dawn :p

(Chloe Price is voice actress Ashley Burch who is also Aloy. I keep expecting Aloy to rant about how "hella" awful things are getting. She came pretty dang close to doing so when she has to bunk with the over Brave wannabes before The Proving.)

“SHARE”

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 30, 2017, 13:12 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Korny, Monday, October 30, 2017, 14:01

Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia = Horizon: Zero Dawn :p

(Chloe Price is Ashley Burch who is also Aloy. I keep expecting Aloy to rant about how "hella" awful things are getting. She came pretty dang close to doing so when she has to bunk with the over Brave wannabes before The Proving.)

If it makes you feel better, I got the reference before clicking on the link and sensibly chuckling at the clip. It's moment-to-moment stuff like that I love (even the new trailer includes one with the jumping-off-the-Glinthawk-to-shoot-another clip at the end).

“SHARE”

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 30, 2017, 13:20 (2371 days ago) @ Korny

What's really funny there is that I'm super fine dealing with two Watchers. Literally child's play. But when I spun the camera around I saw a small army of orange lights approaching me... and I ran... from two Watchers and a few street torches! :p

“SHARE”

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 30, 2017, 13:53 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ragashingo1

...because somebody (possibly me) registered Ragashingo a long long time ago and never used it. :(

Just a word of caution, I got this PS4 to play the single player story based games that Microsoft doesn't seem super interested in making / attracting. I have no plans to pay for PSN and I certainly will not be grinding Destiny on two platforms.

Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia (In progress.. I'm gonna be putting up a question thread on it later today!)
The Last of Us

Those are the games I use the PS4 for (unless it's going to be Xbox One X enhanced), with the major caveat being that play Destiny on both, fool that I am.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread