South Park: SoT Free. (Gaming)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 10:44 (2370 days ago)

Would anyone like a free copy of South Park: The Stick of Truth for the Xbox One? I got a copy when I picked up the Fractured But Whole(immature chortling) last week, making this my fourth copy.

I was originally planning to just paste the code and be done with it, but then I had another thought—I hadn't hosted a contest in almost 10 years. Obviously I don't have the time to do a whole full-blooded thing, so just tell me!

What do you love about South Park? What are some of your favorite moments/episodes? When was the first time an episode grossed you out, shocked you with its audacity, or made you piss yourself laughing? When did you realize South Park for the comedic and parodist megalith that it became? Most importantly, do you still watch it?

You don't have to go all-out and write an essay, just talk a little bit about whether or not you'd really enjoy the hilarity in this game.

Let me know! I'll e-mail the winner Thursday.

I enjoyed the Free Trial of the Fractured Butt Whole

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 12:03 (2369 days ago) @ Morpheus

The art was spot on fantastic. I enjoyed talking to all the characters, searching through their things (creeping much?!). The most memorable part was when you are fighting the "Dragon" in the road then a car honks the horn and everyone gets out of the road. It made me laugh quite a bit.

non-entry

by ObsidianKitteh @, san antonio, tx, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 12:09 (2369 days ago) @ Morpheus

so not really entering the contest, give someone else the code, but thought I would still share.

Initially south park was just a "haha, my Mom doesn't want me to watch this so I will. they use harsh language and fart humor so this is great" then as I got older and started really understanding satire I gained a whole new appreciation for it. I love the fact that you can take south park at face value and just see a lude nasty program that would only appeal to teenage boys with dirty minds, but just about anyone I have forced to sit through a couple episodes gradually realize that its full of really smart humor and their analysis of pop culture and current events that is just so perfect. I managed to talk my wife into watching a few episodes and she was hooked almost immediately. every episode is usually followed up with a nice long conversation about the origins of the plot of that episode and its just great. They lost us a bit last season but so far this season has us hooked again so that's good.

My favorite episodes are Make Love, not Warcraft and Fishsticks.

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 12:54 (2369 days ago) @ ObsidianKitteh
edited by Korny, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 13:09

Initially south park was just a "haha, my Mom doesn't want me to watch this so I will. they use harsh language and fart humor so this is great" then as I got older and started really understanding satire I gained a whole new appreciation for it. I love the fact that you can take south park at face value and just see a lude nasty program that would only appeal to teenage boys with dirty minds, but just about anyone I have forced to sit through a couple episodes gradually realize that its full of really smart humor and their analysis of pop culture and current events that is just so perfect. I managed to talk my wife into watching a few episodes and she was hooked almost immediately. every episode is usually followed up with a nice long conversation about the origins of the plot of that episode and its just great. They lost us a bit last season but so far this season has us hooked again so that's good.

I've always loved that South Park is a comedy show about bad kids in a world of dumb adults first and foremost, and a show bursting at the seams with social commentary second. It's crazy how well Matt and Trey have managed to continue doing it so well for so long, without ever getting too preachy about it, or compromising the heart of the show as irreverent entertainment. It's why South Park has remained relevant for 21 Seasons, and the Retarded™ Rick and Morty garbage is in a rut barely three seasons in.

I may be slightly biased, but Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery (or is that Ghost Pirate?) is an episode that I hold dear:

(Korn debuted the first single off their upcoming album in an episode of South Park, which is something that not a lot of bands get to say. Your move, Taylor Swift...)

Other than that, the Imaginationland special was great, and the Black Friday/Console Wars special was also top-tier entertainment, even if it was increasingly obvious that the writers weren't too familiar with Game of Thrones as the special went on. "Night of the Living Homeless" "Good Times With Weapons", and pretty much the entirety of Season 19 is pure gold.

+1

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 18:38 (2350 days ago) @ Korny

I've always loved that South Park is a comedy show about bad kids in a world of dumb adults first and foremost, and a show bursting at the seams with social commentary second. It's crazy how well Matt and Trey have managed to continue doing it so well for so long, without ever getting too preachy about it, or compromising the heart of the show as irreverent entertainment. It's why South Park has remained relevant for 21 Seasons, and the Retarded™ Rick and Morty garbage is in a rut barely three seasons in.

Hehe, while I agree that Rick and Morty is retarted™, I definitely wouldn't say it's in a rut. Justin literally just became the new Oprah out of nowhere—not even Matt and Trey have been able to accomplish that! :-D R&M might seriously break the barrier of 5--which would be amazing.

Meh.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 14:16 (2369 days ago) @ ObsidianKitteh

I’ve been pretty negative lately, it seems (sorry about that!), so I considered not replying, but I can’t resist in this case.

I refute the idea that South Park’s read on pop-culture is smart or accurate or insightful. It’s usually the sort of cynical “both sides suck” non-comittall stance that feels cheap.

I don’t hate South Park, but I certainly don’t think it’s good or smart.

Meh.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 14:37 (2369 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve been pretty negative lately, it seems (sorry about that!), so I considered not replying, but I can’t resist in this case.

I refute the idea that South Park’s read on pop-culture is smart or accurate or insightful. It’s usually the sort of cynical “both sides suck” non-comittall stance that feels cheap.

"It points out the flaws in both sides of a position with a nobody-is-safe approach, which means it's not smart or accurate! Things can only be good when they have a strong bias!" -cheapLEY

Is it not possible that there can be stupid people on both sides of an argument? I love South Park for this very reason. Sure, it would be nice for them to pander to me and only mock everything that I disagree with, but wouldn't that be... cheap?

At least your tastes aren't as terrible as Cruel's, I guess...

somebody is safe within the context of South Park's humor

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 14:42 (2369 days ago) @ Korny

"It points out the flaws in both sides of a position with a nobody-is-safe approach, which means it's not smart or accurate! Things can only be good when they have a strong bias!" -cheapLEY

Nihilists and anyone else who chooses not to take a stand for/against much.

somebody is safe within the context of South Park's humor

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 17:57 (2369 days ago) @ kidtsunami

anyone else who chooses not to take a stand for/against much.

Oh, so Ken Levine with Bioshock Infinite! :-p

bah dumpt tshhhh!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 09:25 (2369 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

South Park panders to me.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 15:33 (2369 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Funkmon, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 15:54

I don't actually like the show. I don't think it's particularly funny. Its 6 days per cartoon thing allows it to be relentlessly current and fresh, but it leaves good jokes to be desired. In much the same way highly improvised films, like those with Will Ferrell and other good improvisers, I also don't find funny. If you have time, write good jokes. That's my opinion. If they were able to spend 2 weeks on an episode and put in some better jokes, I'd probably like South Park. And, frankly, they are able to do so. They just don't.

Now, in terms of pandering to me, we share similar ideas. South Park isn't boringly centrist, as Cheapley seems to think, but pretty much run of the mill Libertarian, which is to say they have a very strong stance. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Let everyone do what they want, and criticize those limiting that, plus hypocrites and jerks.

I have never once disagreed with the main idea of a South Park episode, if I've seen it. I've seen maybe 25 episodes over the years, as a few of my friends love the TV show, so I don't have a big sample size. I just happen to agree with everything they seem to say, because we come at it from the same perspective.

One of my friends gives craps on me for this, for saying I'm a Libertarian, or Anarcho-capitalist, or whatever I say I am at that time, or for agreeing with Trey and Matt incessantly, thinking I'm a follower and I first hear someone say an idea, then I agree with it. I'm not.

It's a real perspective. For example, they destroy a Wall Mart for running small businesses out of town. This type of thing is why I don't like Wal Mart. They blame the people for shopping at Wall Mart. That is why I don't really care what Wal Mart does. People have democratically chosen, with their dollars, to shop at Wal Mart, thereby having extra money to spend on other things.

Where someone may see a boring centrist "attack both corporate America and the stooges that allow their success," I see a great example of a nuanced view that a Libertarian may possess, that is, that Wal Mart sucks but the people of the community wanted it to be there so it's actually fine.

That's the political stuff.

The pop-culture stuff, which is non-political, follows the same type of mindset. It's from an outsider's perspective, looking in. Sometimes, like in the Warcraft episode, the idea is clear: griefers are assholes, but get over it because it's just a game. Sometimes, the show looks at two extreme sides as an outsider, and shows how the sides seem to the outsider, then gives the perceived nihilistic perspective. But, I don't think it is nihilistic. They are showing two sides to fixing a perceived problem, and usually how to reconcile those. It's a useful approach, as, outside of the Simpsons, taking two sides of a pop culture issue has almost always been strawman against reasonable person, like All in the Family, where only a particular side of the issue is presented in a real way, and Archie is portrayed as backwards. South Park presents both sides of the issue as straw men, usually, showing how ridiculous each position can get, and treating them fairly.

As most people are outsiders to a lot of the issues raised in the show, or at best slightly knowledgeable about them, it's fun to get a balanced, albeit exaggerated, introduction to the stuff.

Meh.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 16:43 (2369 days ago) @ Korny

Is it not possible that there can be stupid people on both sides of an argument? I love South Park for this very reason. Sure, it would be nice for them to pander to me and only mock everything that I disagree with, but wouldn't that be... cheap?

Grizzlei said it better than I did. It's only partly that they make fun of both sides, but more that they make fun of taking a stance at all. That's cynical, lazy, and honestly, in the current climate, dangerous. Advocating for disengaging completely under the guise of "both sides are idiots" is asinine, and I honestly can't stand it. It's much cheaper and intellectually dishonest than making a stand.

I won't say more, as this will tread dangerous close to politics, but in today's situation, I can't tolerate any "both sides" argument, and that's ultimately what South Park advocates.

INdeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 18:57 (2369 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Meh.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 14:57 (2369 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The past decade or so has definitely seen a shift towards the vehemently apathetic center of the political realm. You give a single damn about an issue? What a loser. It routinely punches down a lot more than it punches up. A fucking lot of the harassment I've incurred since childhood has been bullshit regurgitated and adapted from South Park.

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 15:24 (2369 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I Should Never Have Gone Ziplining

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 11:45 (2368 days ago) @ ObsidianKitteh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Should_Have_Never_Gone_Ziplining

Easily the most relatable episode to me. My wife and I watch South Park immediately. The last two seasons were a drag but glad they are back on track. During I Should Never Have Gone Ziplining, I just kept saying "THIS! This is why doing things sucks." She thinks I'm joking when I always talking about how much I can't stand people and their obnoxious existence, and this episode captured it perfectly.

Favorite call backs in my regular rotation:

"Tree fitty? You damn Loch Ness Monster!"
"Don't forget to bring a towel."
"Hoowwddiie Hoooo"
Lemmy Winks and the Catata Fish
"You like fish sticks?"
"Love Gravy" as sung by Chef.
"Watch out Ned, its coming right for us!"
"mmmmmitburrrnnzzz. itbuurrrrrnnnzzzzz."
"Rectus! Dominus!"
Scott Tenorman reference when eating chili.
"Jethus Chroiiiiist"
"Day tuk r jaarrrrbbs"
"Feelin gooood on a Wednesday, ya ya ya"
"ah oh oh..I thought this was America"
"...well you can gggiiiiiiittooouut"
"I've got something in my front pocket for yooouu..." (During H2, would sing this as I teabag noobs.)

South Park: SoT Free.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 12:18 (2369 days ago) @ Morpheus

What do you love about South Park? What are some of your favorite moments/episodes?

• This bit [very NSFW]:

The look on Mr. Garrison's face after the megaphone bit will live in my memory forever. Actually I still use a screenshot of that as a reaction post sometimes.

• I can't remember the episode, but the thing where Mr. Mackey gets high and his disembodied head floats around town.
  • Manbearpig, even though I find the point of that bit stupid and wrong. The whole thing is just so well done, though. Side note: Back when I still played Eve Online, I ran into a rando out in the void named "Thuper Therial," and I just about died laughing in my chair.
  • Towelie.

When was the first time an episode grossed you out

The Warcraft episode. You know what I mean.

shocked you with its audacity

Maybe the Jennifer Lopez bit? I don't even know why exactly, compared to some of the other stuff they did that didn't bother me. But that one made me super uncomfortable.

or made you piss yourself laughing?

I'm going to go with the Eve Online story above, even though I wasn't technically watching the show at the time.

When did you realize South Park for the comedic and parodist megalith that it became?

Maybe the Warcraft episode. Maybe the election episode. Hard to put my finger on it, really.

Most importantly, do you still watch it?

Nope. Not because of anything with the show, I just haven't had cable or satellite TV for many years, and I stopped watching it whenever that was canceled. Which was so long ago that I couldn't really tell you exactly when it was.

South Park: SoT Free.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 18:28 (2350 days ago) @ Morpheus

Oh, jeez; 15 days.... certainly didn't mean to be this late! Long series of stories short(yep, it's yours!) a whole bunch of things happened to me over the past few weeks, some awful, some very nice--but it's kept me away from the computer the entire time. Anyway, the choice was pretty hard to make, between two people who enjoyed it and everyone else who didn't. XD

But we did have a very mature and informed discussion about it, which is something to appreciate regardless. After thinking about it for quite some time, I've finally decided that the winner is...ManKitten!

Congratulations to all who posted; hope those watching are enjoying the new season! MK, if you have an e-mail, let me know and I'll send the code to you.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread