A majority of destiny 2 sales were digital copies. (Destiny)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, November 03, 2017, 16:40 (2378 days ago)

In an earnings call this week, Activision revealed that more than 50 percent of Destiny 2's sales on consoles came via download rather than on a retail disc. That's "a new highwater mark" for the company, and it's way higher than the "20 to 25 percent" of Call of Duty's console sales usually represented by digital copies, according to Activision (though Call of Duty World War II is seeing "higher digital preorders... relative to any prior Call of Duty title.") Even for online-focused games like the Overwatch and the original Destiny, only 30 to 40 percent of console sales usually come from downloads, the company said.

ArsTechnica

A Majority Of Nearly ALL Games Are Sold As Digital Copies.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 03, 2017, 18:05 (2378 days ago) @ Vortech

With such large updates, and an added benefit of convenience, physical discs are weaning quickly...

I’d say ‘25, people might be saying “Physical whaaa?”

the entire article is how that is not true for consoles

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 07:45 (2378 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

the entire article is how that is not true for consoles

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 08:42 (2378 days ago) @ Vortech

Right. Essentially 100% of PC sales are digital. A boxed copy simply gives you a download code without an actual disc. This is what happens when you don’t standardize BluRay drives in computers guys.

A Majority Of Nearly ALL Games Are Sold As Digital Copies.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 08:41 (2378 days ago) @ Morpheus

With such large updates, and an added benefit of convenience, physical discs are weaning quickly...

I’d say ‘25, people might be saying “Physical whaaa?”

Stores have a huge benefit. I know someone who liked Heavy Rain, and told this to someone at a game store. The worker then told her if she liked that, she’d like Life is Strange and told her all about it. Then she bought it and loved it without otherwise even hearing about it.

I similarly talk with the folks working at Game Dude where I buy everything to feel out what is worth it and what sucks.

That's what we're for these days :)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, November 04, 2017, 09:27 (2378 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

INdeed. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 10:44 (2377 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Gamestop is worried:

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 03, 2017, 18:13 (2378 days ago) @ Vortech

Gamestop PowerPass

GameStop PowerPass, as it's being called, is a program launching this holiday that lets you play as many pre-owned games as you want for six months. For $60, you can pick up any pre-owned game and return to the store to swap it out for a new one as much as you want for a period of six months. At the end, you can choose any game to keep.

Seems like a good deal, actually, which is surprising to say about anything Gamestop is offering.

No restrictions have been detailed yet, although signups are set to start on Nov. 19, so maybe we'll find out then if it's too good to be true.

Gamestop is worried:

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 00:48 (2378 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Cheaper than gamefly and you get to keep a game at the end. Definitely a good deal.

The only problem: I have to go to Gamestop.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 06, 2017, 07:25 (2376 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I don't even remember if mine is digital or not.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 07:53 (2378 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread