Possible Location of the Traveler (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, November 10, 2017, 20:57 (2371 days ago)

I noticed the other day that when you travel to earth from another planet, you always come in over South America.

I point this out, b/c in the campaign, Hawthorne says that when she heard of the attack, she came across the ocean looking for survivors. Since we retreat to the Farm and she has some knowledge of the EDZ, one might assume that she came from there. If so, then that means that the ocean she crossed might be the Atlantic.

[image]

That got me to thinking that the Traveler/Last city might be in South America, but then i went back and looked at the final cutscene. #1, the Traveler is much to big and would not be obscured by clouds. #2, if you turn the brightness up in photoshop, you can once again see South America. So, either someone at Bungie got lazy with the Earth, or the Traveler is up in Canada. There are some large mountains with Norse names on Baffin Island (Mount Thor, Mount Odin, Mount Asgard).

[image]

[image]

Another peculiar thing is that there is a new landmass to the east of South America (refer back to the first pic). It's too far north to be the Falklands, and the size and shape do not match. But on Google Earth, it does appear as if the ocean floor might be more shallow in roughly that same location.

Possible Location of the Traveler

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 10, 2017, 22:20 (2371 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

In the second set, with the Traveler clearly showing, I think the shape you marked as South America looks a lot closer to eastern USA (Florida's peninsula, to be more exact), but the scale feels off.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 08:06 (2371 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Interesting, however, I think they just Africa but forgot the middle east. As the island is the size of madagascar, although not the correct shape.

Or it's possible since it's 100's of years forward that the land kept building up east of SA. They just used some artistic interpretation.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 08:11 (2371 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

It's clearly South America. Look at the southern coast lines from Google earth and Destiny.

Scale is totally off...

by naturl selexion, Sunday, November 12, 2017, 00:34 (2370 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I wouldn't put much faith in the accuracy of that placement. The Traveller would literally not be visible if it were depicted its actual size. Please note that when viewed from the tower the Traveller is shown to be only a few miles across - About the size of a mountain. The Traveller viewed from the perspective depicted in the cutscene would be completely invisible.

Fun fact: The Earth scaled down to the size of a cue ball would be as smooth as said cue ball. The tallest mountains would not be able to be seen or felt.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread