Joe Schmo (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 13, 2017, 21:03 (2368 days ago)

Something is afoot. Take this article, posted a few days ago for example.

Back at GDC 2013, Bungie director Chris Barett and Destiny 1's original writer showed off the above image as well as a separate piece of concept art which depicted five races.

The original writer?! The guy beside Chris during that presentation was Joe Staten. Why is he not named?

I've already posted about how Joe was not mentioned once in this article on the birth of Destiny.

The guy was an absolutely huge influence on both Bungie, Halo, and Destiny for years. Give the guy some credit and use his name! Are we erasing him now? This is kind of starting to piss me off.

Joe Schmo

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 07:24 (2368 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Joe Staten - Never Forget

JoeStatenisnotcanon.org

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 07:31 (2368 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 07:42

Who is that guy, anyway?

The guy was an absolutely huge influence on both Bungie, Halo

Eric Trautmann? Yeah, they never mention him, and he and his team did great work. Can you imagine how awesome Halo would have been if he continued to work on it rather than having some other guy turn it into a sappy space opera?

JoeStatenisnotcanon.org

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 09:35 (2368 days ago) @ Korny

Who is that guy, anyway?

The guy was an absolutely huge influence on both Bungie, Halo

Eric Trautmann? Yeah, they never mention him, and he and his team did great work. Can you imagine how awesome Halo would have been if he continued to work on it rather than having some other guy turn it into a sappy space opera?

Oh I know. I spoke to him in tons of detail for the book. Wouldn’t have ODSTs without him ;-p

Stop complaining to us about it…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 09:00 (2368 days ago) @ Cody Miller

…and write a note to the editor of EuroGamer.

You're just preaching to the choir here.

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 13:23 (2368 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 15:50 (2368 days ago) @ Beorn

I did.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 16:10 (2368 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah I don't really get why you're being put down for putting an observation about a thing to do with Destiny here in a forum about Destiny.

It's not like we're a hivemind?

Or not...

by Avateur @, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 21:09 (2367 days ago) @ Beorn

...because maybe he’s pointing something out to all of us that we may not know and may find interesting and may also want to send a note to a publication about. But hey, screw Cody even when he isn’t being controversial, I guess.

While snarky, I thought this was the point of the OP...

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 10:55 (2367 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 21:39 (2367 days ago) @ Beorn

I don't think I was aware of any damnatio memoriae efforts regarding Staten, and as such I found Cody's post here to be of value.

You're just preaching to the choir here.

Just curious, do you count yourself as part of that choir?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 06:33 (2367 days ago) @ Schooly D

I don't think I was aware of any damnatio memoriae efforts regarding Staten, and as such I found Cody's post here to be of value.

i thought the same. I disagree with a lot of Cody's posts, but found this one interesting.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 08:32 (2367 days ago) @ Schooly D

I'm not sure I necessarily attribute malice to the Eurogamer article, but the one on Mashable is 100% rewriting of history by Jonty and therefore Bungie.

Joe Schmo

by hand12, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 11:11 (2367 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Back at GDC 2013, Bungie director Chris Barett and Destiny 1's original writer showed off the above image as well as a separate piece of concept art which depicted five races.

The original writer?! The guy beside Chris during that presentation was Joe Staten. Why is he not named?

I've already posted about how Joe was not mentioned once in this article on the birth of Destiny.

The guy was an absolutely huge influence on both Bungie, Halo, and Destiny for years. Give the guy some credit and use his name! Are we erasing him now? This is kind of starting to piss me off.

Thanks for this

Joe Schmo

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 17:35 (2367 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 17:41

Are you serious right now? It's one sentence.

Why don't you ask them? Why don't you ask them personally, because you know as well as anyone they won't say anything publicly.

Joe Schmo

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 13:24 (2366 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It's one sentence.

And one sentence that could have easily had an appositive statement tossed in.

"Bungie director Chris Barett and Joe Staten, Destiny 1's original writer, showed off [...]"

Or, alternatively,

"Bungie director Chris Barett and Destiny 1's original writer, Joe Staten, showed off [...]"

I don't know that it's a big deal, myself, but I think that's a weak argument. They clearly had enough room to mention him by name, and did mention him just not by name, so why not?

I don't know enough to really say anything definitive, but it seems like a relatively fair thing to wonder about, or even be bothered by. I guess I just kinda don't get all the pushback. Hm.

Joe Schmo

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:13 (2366 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It's one sentence.

"Bungie director Chris Barett and Joe Staten, Destiny 1's original writer, showed off [...]"

Or, alternatively,

"Bungie director Chris Barett and Destiny 1's original writer, Joe Staten, showed off [...]"

I don't know that it's a big deal, myself, but I think that's a weak argument. They clearly had enough room to mention him by name, and did mention him just not by name, so why not?

presumably because he's not there, and bringing up people who left doesn't inspire confidence
they didn't bring up Alex Seropian much until the last few years either

Joe Schmo

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:28 (2366 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It's one sentence.

Or, alternatively,

presumably because he's not there, and bringing up people who left doesn't inspire confidence

Alex had nothing to do with Destiny. That’s the difference.

Joe Schmo

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, November 17, 2017, 18:42 (2364 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Alex had nothing to do with Destiny. That’s the difference.

you know what the fuck I mean
IIRC they mentioned him and even interviewed him in the video they did on where they've been and where they're at on their 20th anniversary, before Destiny was even announced, whereas before that they didn't say much
Staten will get his due eventually (not that he hasn't already, given how much we're aware of him)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread