Universal Consistency in Storytelling is Important (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 14:59 (2360 days ago)

The CoO livestream thread got a little off-topic and the subject of whether or not it was important for a fictional universe to be consistent in its reality came up. Harmonius, apparently, does not believe that to be the case (please clarify if I'm misunderstanding you). I do.

I'm not saying Destiny should adhere to the laws of physics, and clearly the game doesn't.

What I'm saying is that, in any story, the fundamental rules of the universe should not be changed willy-nilly simply because it looks cool or whatever. Destiny is generally very consistent. The traveler is the source of light, and when light shows up from other sources, it's either a piece of the traveler (vanilla D1's shard that the hive are draining and D2's sort of fundamental premise both have this), or it's residue from the traveler's work (as seen on Io). Ghosts can bring you back from the dead, but it has something to do with how much light is inside of you, too (Ghost mentioned this when scanning a pod in an old colony ship during, I think, RoI's intro missions).

Anyway, my point is that the things that are "non-science" are still very consistent. The universe of the game has rules and adheres to them.

And then there's that final cutscene, which breaks a lot of them, all at once. It's... really weird.

First and most obviously, the size of the Traveler. It goes from roughly the size of NYC to the size of Texas pretty much instantly.

And there's the condition of Mercury. It's been partially dismantled as fuel for The Almighty, and we saw it basically 1/4 broken apart in an earlier cutscene, but in the final cutscene, it's 100% back together and fine.

And then there's the speed of the traveler's pulse of light. It would be fine with me if the pulse was simply faster than light - our ships have ftl, that's an established thing and wouldn't even bother me if it were introduced for the first time right here. What bothers me is that the speed of the pulse is, apparently, relative only to the camera's viewfinder. When we're up close, it's moving at several thousand miles per hour. When we see it reach saturn, it's moving well over the speed of light. When we see it break free of the galaxy it's moving millions of times faster than the speed of light. And then, when it hits the pyramid ships, which are presumably smaller than the size of our galaxy as seen in the previous shot, it's moving slowly enough that we can track its movement with our eyes again.

Even if that was a thing (and you could argue that the traveler's "light" travels more quickly the farther it gets from the traveler and I'd have no logical basis to dispute that) there's the fact that we're *seeing* it grow from a distance greater than the area it encompasses. Which of course indicates that the actual speed c light that reflects off of or is generated by the Traveler's light has reached our eyes *before* and at a vastly greater distance than the Traveler's light has reached us, which is absurd, since the traveler's light is clearly moving a millions of times greater speed than actual light is capable of moving.

So yeah, I think that final cutscene is completely nutty. Looks cool but makes no sense.

I want to agree, but I don't *IMG* *SP (campaign) I guess*

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 15:49 (2360 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I really prize consistency in fictional universes! I'm not a hypocrite [citation needed] so I don't think that's some kind of objective measure, and I think some things that are inconsistent can be good. But, personally, I really like consistency.

However, I more care about physics, causality, and systems like that.

The size of the Traveler is a small thing that I'm willing to pass off as artistic license. And really, so is that pulse of light- It looked nice and pretty. So now let's slow down for a moment.

The speed appears inconsistent. Why do you assume the speed of the pulse is changing, and not the rate the camera is showing us this at? You can dislike that as much as you want, but it seems a lot more sensible to me to think that the speed of the pulse was constant, or decreasing, and we simply had it shown at a different speed to various extents? I mean, we see that pulse start in the death of Ghaul cutscene, so, I don't know. Your complaint is fair, I'm just not worried about it, personally.

As for the part about Mercury's condition, uh.

I uh.

Uh.

[image]

Are we talking about the same cutscene?

Top explanation ^. Framerate.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:09 (2360 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Through apologetics, all things are possible.

Top explanation ^. Framerate.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:41 (2360 days ago) @ Funkmon

Through apologetics, all things are possible.

This statement brought out a huge chuckle from me. Thanks for making my day!

Can the light run Crysis?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 17:56 (2360 days ago) @ Funkmon

Half life 3 confirmed

Can the light run Crysis?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 21:10 (2360 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

God I just watchedthe video on Crysis from Gameranx last night.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:24 (2360 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Oh snap. I think I was thrown by having only seen mercury broken on the left side before? Maybe I'm taking crazy pills. Clearly it's destroyed right there, sorry about my mistake!

As for the rate of the camera, that's possible, but it would also mean that the pyramid ships are seeing the pulse millions of years in the future and they would not, then, really matter to anyone in the game world.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:33 (2360 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Happens to the best of us, probably. It has to me, anyways, with stranger things. (For some reason, I thought a white dog in a certain comic was black, for the longest time.)

As for how long it takes to get to the pyramids, I suppose it depends on the speed of the pulse?

We see it starts subluminal, in the Ghaul cutscene, but it could get faster; it could increase to a point, possibly a FTL speed, and then either plateau or start to slow down after that. It could hit the pyramids any amount of time later then, technically.

If your concern is purely that Bungie didn't bother to make something consistent, and that bugs you, that's totally fair; I guess I'm just trying to say that it's still possible to make it make sense, so it's almost certainly just artistic license, and not signalling any future departures from established canon, excepting possibly more artistic license.

Of course, you're free to disagree.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:49 (2360 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

100% it's artistic license. There's not a doubt in my mind.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 17:20 (2360 days ago) @ Kahzgul

need to double check, but mercury appears to be normal when flying in on crucible. Though it could just be the back side that is undamaged.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:25 (2360 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Yes, but a pertinent question to the story is:

How long after the Traveler awakens do the Pyramids notice?

I'd like to think "instant"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:32 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And then some time for them to reach us. In fact, the complete lack of movement of, well, anything else besides the pulse in that cutscene while the pulse is visible can very easily be construed as "the pulse is infinitely fast and the camera slowed it down for our benefit".

Goddammit, Bungle

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:34 (2360 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Reef is clearly moving while the pulse is expanding. Theory debunked all too quickly...

Goddammit, Bungle

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 16:51 (2360 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Reef is clearly moving while the pulse is expanding. Theory debunked all too quickly...

And the real light from the pulse of "light" clearly reaches us, a billion lightyears away, before the pulse reaches us. Grrrr.

Linear time and Paracausal Forces

by Harmanimus @, Friday, November 17, 2017, 12:36 (2359 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I stand by my prior comments regarding visual communication. However, one thing that keeps getting overlooked is that The Light isn't causal in nature so application of linear time doesn't necessarily matter. In the same way we illustrate a tesseract in two or three dimensions, the pulse can easily be considered as not actually being a literal representation as we cannot actually experience what is actually occuring. Thus, it is the closest approximation we can understand.

Time dilation and optical illusions.

by Kahzgul, Friday, November 17, 2017, 16:47 (2359 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I stand by my prior comments regarding visual communication. However, one thing that keeps getting overlooked is that The Light isn't causal in nature so application of linear time doesn't necessarily matter. In the same way we illustrate a tesseract in two or three dimensions, the pulse can easily be considered as not actually being a literal representation as we cannot actually experience what is actually occuring. Thus, it is the closest approximation we can understand.

There are narrative ways to do this without breaking the verisimilitude of the story. One could use the drawings/animations from previous cutscenes, or have another character describe what you're seeing (like Cayde) so that you understand you're seeing the description rather than the real thing. Lots of options.

Time dilation and optical illusions.

And here you've lost me. If timelapse is how we're viewing the pulse, then the pyramid ships aren't reacting to it for millions (or billions) of years, and they literally are of no consequence to the story of Destiny. If the pulse is instantaneous and we've slowed time dramatically in order to "witness" it happening, why are other objects in the cutscene visibly moving? That immediately refutes that possibility.

As for optical illusions, we've established that the traveler can give us visions, so why not couch this "vision" as such?

it's lazy storytelling, imo. Of course there's no canonical explanation for this because it's all just for artistic effect. That makes me sad, because it can be done without these problems.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 11:48 (2358 days ago) @ Kahzgul

And in a world with one set of time-traveling bad guys we can't have another because...? Whos to say they don't time travel to approximately when the pulse happened (give or take a few years for destiny 3 to come out)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 16:03 (2358 days ago) @ CougRon

And in a world with one set of time-traveling bad guys we can't have another because...? Whos to say they don't time travel to approximately when the pulse happened (give or take a few years for destiny 3 to come out)

Ahh, that's a good point. I guess we can't count them out.

Checkmate, Dawkins! Where's my croco-duck?!

by Funkmon @, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 22:23 (2357 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Oh dear. I'm afraid I don't get this reference

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 22:55 (2357 days ago) @ Funkmon

It is a reference, right?

Barely.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 23:05 (2356 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Oh, lol.

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:04 (2356 days ago) @ Funkmon

Who would have imagined that people who don't believe in science also don't understand it?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 12:15 (2358 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If timelapse is how we're viewing the pulse, then the pyramid ships aren't reacting to it for millions (or billions) of years, and they literally are of no consequence to the story of Destiny

At this point, we have reason to believe the Traveler itself is vastly old and has been operating for millions of years. We also know that certainly Guardians like Lord Saladin have been alive and apparently ageless for some five hundred years. Who are you to say that Destiny 3 won’t be set a billion years from now but with all the Guardians we know and love still alive? Instead of defending a planet maybe we’ll end up defending a galaxy spanning civilization.

People from Bungie have been quoted as saying that the Pyramid Ships will be important to Destiny’s story in a few year’s time. They didn’t say it, but presumably they’ll be an enemy in Destiny 3. But no matter timeframe the Light reached them in that cutscene, any line of thinking that removes them from Destiny’s future story is a dead end and should be abandoned.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 16:11 (2358 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If timelapse is how we're viewing the pulse, then the pyramid ships aren't reacting to it for millions (or billions) of years, and they literally are of no consequence to the story of Destiny

At this point, we have reason to believe the Traveler itself is vastly old and has been operating for millions of years. We also know that certainly Guardians like Lord Saladin have been alive and apparently ageless for some five hundred years. Who are you to say that Destiny 3 won’t be set a billion years from now but with all the Guardians we know and love still alive? Instead of defending a planet maybe we’ll end up defending a galaxy spanning civilization.

Possible, but weird. I'd want to know what the hell I was doing for the last 4 billion years. Surely not simply grinding for more shaders.... uh, right? God I hope not.

People from Bungie have been quoted as saying that the Pyramid Ships will be important to Destiny’s story in a few year’s time. They didn’t say it, but presumably they’ll be an enemy in Destiny 3. But no matter timeframe the Light reached them in that cutscene, any line of thinking that removes them from Destiny’s future story is a dead end and should be abandoned.

I mean, obviously they're important to the story or they wouldn't have been featured in the cutscene, right?

Although just as I typed that I realized that Destiny is the Lost of video games, with dropped threads *everywhere*. The exo stranger, the warmind, the Queen, Eris, the Queen's brother, Lady whatsherbutt from the iron Banner who came and went just for RoI, Dr. Shin, probably dozens of other things only briefly mentioned in flavor text or the grimoire which have simply never been explained.

UGH.

Well, I certainly hope that we were shown those ships with a purpose in mind and not simply as another plotline to be introduced and then abandoned (and yes, I know that Bungie says it's a "10 year plot arc" but the reality is that if they don't keep all of these irons hot until it's time to forge their stories, it's going to be very frustrating for the players - and already is to some degree).

Back to the cutscene, I don't actually think they're meaningless; I just think the storytelling is clumsy. The intent came through but did so in a problematic fashion, and I'm nitpicking on purpose because I'm the sort of person who cares about the details.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 16:48 (2358 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 17:12

Possible, but weird. I'd want to know what the hell I was doing for the last 4 billion years. Surely not simply grinding for more shaders.... uh, right? God I hope not.

Heh. Maybe. :p

and I'm nitpicking on purpose because I'm the sort of person who cares about the details.

Details like Mercury being whole vs broken?
Details like the Almighty not being destroyed?
Details like there being a stream at all?

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 17:10 (2358 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh. Maybe. :p

and I'm nitpicking on purpose because I'm the sort of person who cares about the details.

Details like Mercury being whole vs broken?

Yup! Thank you for the still to set me straight on this. I *think* the reason I was mistaken here was that I had previously seen the left side of the world broken, not the right, so during the cutscene I only noticed that the left was whole again. Obviously the camera can be in different places, but since mercury is tidally locked, I'd expect that, relative to the sun, the same side should be broken in every shot. I didn't compare the position of the sun in any of the shots so I don't know if that's the case.

Details like the Almighty not being destroyed?

Yeah, seriously, how did you know that only the gun was destroyed and not the whole thing? Other than that they said that during the stream, I mean. Is that in the game?

Details like there being a stream at?

Not sure what you mean by "a stream at" - did you a word?

One thing I've noticed about Destiny is that they often throw away seemingly important information. Like someone will say something, and literally no one else will react to the bombshell that was just dropped. This tells the player that the information actually isn't important, and that - I feel - is a mistake. A great example is when we learn that the vex can't simulate the light. Shouldn't everyone in the tower want to know that information? Certainly the cryptarchs and lakshmi and ikora would, right? But no, not even our ghost seems interested in that tidbit. That guy on Io whom we all hate would 100% want to know.

Sure sure, the "go here and do this" is important so you know what to do, but spending more time on the "why" of our actions would be really really nice, as would having characters who are interested in what we've learned in our travels in addition to caring whether or not we shot the right guy enough times.

Anyway, my point about lots of key info be glossed over is that I'm certain there's important details that I completely missed during my two full playthroughs of the game. There were definitely things I learned during playthrough 2 that hadn't registered during playthrough 1, for example. So as much as I enjoy the details being consistent, I'm not perfect and I know I've missed things. If the plot were more dense, I'd take the blame completely for that, but as it stands, i think the lack of interest by the characters within the plot is equally to blame. Like, does anyone *care* that mercury was being dismantled as fuel? That seems like a big deal but instead it's like mentioned once by ghost and everyone just kinda shrugs their shoulders.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 17:21 (2358 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Well, the Mercury thing was understandable. Humanity’s military power was first smashed by Oryx and its SSFs were disabled by Gary. Everyone shrugged ‘cause there was nothing anyone could really do.

A better example would be Calus and his planet eating Leviathan. Sure, the Raid is pretty good, but sheesh the buildup and plot integration is... woefully lacking. :(

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 21:44 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Well, the Mercury thing was understandable. Humanity’s military power was first smashed by Oryx and its SSFs were disabled by Gary. Everyone shrugged ‘cause there was nothing anyone could really do.

A better example would be Calus and his planet eating Leviathan. Sure, the Raid is pretty good, but sheesh the buildup and plot integration is... woefully lacking. :(

About Calus: There's an adventure on Nessus that is literally nothing but prologue to his ship arriving. There's a heavy weapon quest item drop that begins a chain that "permanently" occupies a heavy weapon slot that eventually arrives at "await the world eater." And there's some dialogue in D1 about an outbound signal being sent straight to the emperor. And all of that is 100% missable and it's very possible for players to simply log in and have this raid show up and think "where the hell did this come from and why is it here?"

Frankly, that adventure was pretty fun, but it would have been more effective storytelling to make it a prerequisite to raiding. It's not even totally clear that the adventure has anything to do with the Leviathan. At no point in the game does anyone on our team put together the pieces and explain what that ship is and why it's here. Sure, the players have done that, but it makes the characters in the game seem even less intelligent by comparison that they can't put two and two together.

I'm really not sure why the choice has been made, repeatedly, to not have the characters in the game actually learn anything or figure anything out from the bits of information we've collected along the way, but their inability to grow, change, learn, and adapt is incredibly frustrating for me, especially given how absolutely perfect the premise of D2 was for all of those things to take place. Instead it was a story about re-establishing the status quo. Only Hawthorne changed at all, and that was a long wait for her perspective to move an inch.

What I'm saying is, and I'm shocked to be typing this, I completely agree with you.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 23:52 (2357 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Ragashingo, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 00:34

I'm really not sure why the choice has been made, repeatedly, to not have the characters in the game actually learn anything or figure anything out from the bits of information we've collected along the way, but their inability to grow, change, learn, and adapt is incredibly frustrating for me, especially given how absolutely perfect the premise of D2 was for all of those things to take place. Instead it was a story about re-establishing the status quo. Only Hawthorne changed at all, and that was a long wait for her perspective to move an inch.

I think we’ve talked about this part before. Each of the Vanguard have dialogue showing that they have learned. Specifically:

• Zavala says he had grown too reliant on the safety of The City’s defenses and that he intends to reestablish a more outgoing, offensive posture to try and prevent our enemies from being able to attack us like the Red Legion did.
  • Ikora tells us she had grown too comfortable with her light and her immortality. She says that when the Traveler tested her (as in, when her power was taken away) she failed that test by basically running away and hiding instead of acting to protect The City. She pledges to do better, and they even mentioned this in the stream a bit.
  • Cayde-6... eh... I actually don’t remember any dialogue from him about learning. Someone else a while back mentioned that of the Vanguard he was the one who was the most heroic and who accomplished the most. He took a big risk traveling alone to Nessus, but it paid off in the end. Is there even anything he should have or could have done differently?

With at least two of the three Vanguard expressing a desire to not repeat their mistakes, you can’t really claim there is no growth or learning. It’s right there in their dialogue, in game, not locked away in lore or whatever. Furthermore:

• Unless I’m mistaken, most or all of the content in Destiny 2, so far, occurs during the Red War, and little to none of it besides us landing at the new Tower occurs after Gary’s defeat. You can’t rightly claim there has been no learning or growth when approximately zero time has passed. Nobody has yet had a real chance to demonstrate any change in attitude or behavior. Curse of Osiris will be the first actual opportunity for us to see any changes in the strategy or actions of the Vanguard or The City.
  • As “the Guardian”, we tend to get called in when a big bad shows up or when things have already gone sufficiently wrong. We don’t, however, seem to be a part of planning meetings or regularly scheduled patrols. In our early days, we were basically just lucky to stumble upon Rasputin, and the Hive, and the Vex. By the time Crota and the House of Wolves and Oryx became a threat we were being called in as “the Guardian” and were again not really part of The City’s regular defenses. So if Zavala really does start to look beyond The City’s walls, would we as the elite god slaying “the Guardian” really notice or necessarily be a part of those changes?
  • All that to say, even if there are changes, they may be more subtle than you are after. I’ll personally be looking for signs of renewed expansion of The City and of human colonies in other places on Earth and beyond. Ikora’s behavior in this upcoming expansion will also be something I observe very closely. Certainly, if she gets out of The City and actually does something, that’ll be a change. But so would something smaller like a more proactive attitude.

We’re two weeks out from our first chance to see how much Bungie is willing to do with D2’s story post launch. After that, your frustration at a lack of change will be a lot more justified. Right now, it’s a bit premature, in my opinion.

Webmaster, can we get an approved list of nits for picking?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 04:02 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 04:25

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 08:15 (2357 days ago) @ Pyromancy

To me it’s like this: I didn’t just show up and say “shut up” or “you’re wrong.” I provided several paragraphs of explanation spread across multiple posts. If you have a problem with my reasoning, then let’s hear it. I’ll honestly consider what you have to say and give you a response. If you’re just annoyed that I’m disagreeing too much, or annoyed that I have expressed an opinion on what is or isn’t a reasonable criticism.... well... suck it up, buttercup.

One thing that for sure won’t get me to change my behavior is stringing together a few of my concluding statements, ignoring the majority of my arguments, and asking an insultingly cutesy question.

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 10:59 (2356 days ago) @ Ragashingo

To me it’s like this: I didn’t just show up and say “shut up” or “you’re wrong.” I provided several paragraphs of explanation spread across multiple posts. If you have a problem with my reasoning, then let’s hear it. I’ll honestly consider what you have to say and give you a response. If you’re just annoyed that I’m disagreeing too much, or annoyed that I have expressed an opinion on what is or isn’t a reasonable criticism.... well... suck it up, buttercup.

One thing that for sure won’t get me to change my behavior is stringing together a few of my concluding statements, ignoring the majority of my arguments, and asking an insultingly cutesy question.

It's because your posts follow a formula of:

I disagree.

Reason.

Reason.

Reason.

Conclusion: You're a bad person.

It's infuriating. Just delete your last paragraph whenever you respond to posts and I'll be WAY happier to entertain discussions with you.

IMO the most recent one (may be premature) didn't actually bother me nearly as much as the "your behavior is not good" one, but it does adhere to the pattern.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10:15 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10:35

Growth and learning in characters is about what they DO, not what they say. And everybody acts the same as before. There are no consequences. No learning. No real change.

And this change should happen during the story, not after it!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10:31 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Growth and learning in characters is about what they DO, not what they say. And everybody acts the same as before. There are no consequences. No learning. No real change.

Unless I’m mistaken, most or all of the content in Destiny 2, so far, occurs during the Red War, and little to none of it besides us landing at the new Tower occurs after Gary’s defeat. You can’t rightly claim there has been no learning or growth when approximately zero time has passed. Nobody has yet had a real chance to demonstrate any change in attitude or behavior. Curse of Osiris will be the first actual opportunity for us to see any changes in the strategy or actions of the Vanguard or The City.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10:37 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Unless I’m mistaken, most or all of the content in Destiny 2, so far, occurs during the Red War, and little to none of it besides us landing at the new Tower occurs after Gary’s defeat. You can’t rightly claim there has been no learning or growth when approximately zero time has passed. Nobody has yet had a real chance to demonstrate any change in attitude or behavior. Curse of Osiris will be the first actual opportunity for us to see any changes in the strategy or actions of the Vanguard or The City.

Again, the change should take place during the story. The changes are what can bring about the end. For instance, Ikora sacrificing herself or something. It’s not a change if it hasn’t happened yet. As far as emotional impact these ‘changes’ have none.

Compare this to something even as simple as the MC going against guilty spark.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10:59 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Again, the change should take place during the story. The changes are what can bring about the end. For instance, Ikora sacrificing herself or something. It’s not a change if it hasn’t happened yet.

Because of how long it takes to produce new content for games, we are, in a way, frozen in time until Curse of Osiris comes out, so how can we see any changes that results from the Red War until then? I totally agree that with you that a dramatic event like an Ikora sacrifice would have been good, but you can’t just discount it when we hear from the characters that they plan to do things differently. That’s them learning.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 11:01 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm sorry, what?

What stories do you know of that only demonstrate character change after the conflict is resolved? That's like saying Luke doesn't have enough time to change during A New Hope and we should only expect character development after he's blown up the Death Star. It just doesn't make sense.

Destiny 2 almost completely failed in that department. Zavala is the only argument I can see against that, and then only slightly. Zavala struggles to figure out what he is without Light, even going as far as to task if he's still a Guardian. He determines that yes, he is, and goes on to fight to take back the city, as much a Guardian as he ever was. But even that is the barest of character arcs. And even then, he doesn't change at all from how we knew him in Destiny 1--it's just a story about the return to the status quo.

I hope we see better with The Curse of Osiris, but I'm not all that optimistic. I don't think we'll ever see more than gestures at a real story within the Destiny universe.

I'm not sure Destiny needs more than that, at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 12:09 (2357 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm sorry, what?

What stories do you know of that only demonstrate character change after the conflict is resolved? That's like saying Luke doesn't have enough time to change during A New Hope and we should only expect character development after he's blown up the Death Star. It just doesn't make sense.

Destiny 2 almost completely failed in that department. Zavala is the only argument I can see against that, and then only slightly. Zavala struggles to figure out what he is without Light, even going as far as to task if he's still a Guardian. He determines that yes, he is, and goes on to fight to take back the city, as much a Guardian as he ever was. But even that is the barest of character arcs. And even then, he doesn't change at all from how we knew him in Destiny 1--it's just a story about the return to the status quo.

I hope we see better with The Curse of Osiris, but I'm not all that optimistic. I don't think we'll ever see more than gestures at a real story within the Destiny universe.

I'm not sure Destiny needs more than that, at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from it.

Ikora makes the same kind of determination. I’d say she actually goes through an even greater understanding of what it means to be a Guardian. Where Zavala went to Titan to regroup and rearm, Ikora reveals that she basically fled to Io to hide. And that she did so because she was afraid of dying.

Sure, Zavala has his down moments on Titan as he wonders about his place without his Light, but he was still in the middle of things, still calling Guardians to him. It was only after encountering the Hive and not really having an idea of what could even be done next that he reached his low.

Ikora, in contrast hit her low almost immediately. She wasn’t planning to go back. She wasn’t planning to continue the fight. She didn’t even seem to be planning to oppose the Cabal as they harvested the Traveler’s energy from Io. She was just going to stand there on her cliff or hide in the ruins the Traveler left behind because she was paralyzed by her fear.

I’m not saying that there shouldn’t have been more change or that there shouldn’t have been more impactful consequences. I agreed that there should have been. I’m saying that you shouldn’t dismiss it when characters admit their mistakes after a major event a lay out how they plan to do things differently. Really, I’d say there are three areas where the Vanguard showed learning and growth:

1. The realization that they can be Guardians without their super powers.
2. The realization that those who never had super powers can also be Guardians
3. The realizations that they had (basically) become lazy in their strength (Zavala in the strength of the City’s defenses, Ikora in her own power).

In Star Wars terms, Luke is basically a whiny kid up until the fighter run on the Death Star. Sure, he shows moments of heroism, but it’s not until Empire that he’s taken his place as a leader in the Rebellion. It’s not until Jedi that he truly sheds the whiny kid and becomes a calm, collected Jedi, something he had very much not been in the previous two movies. There are some minor demonstrations of change in each movie, but we see the big demonstrations come along with each new work.

Back in Destiny terms, I’m not saying their couldn’t or shouldn’t have been more and better impact shown, I’m just saying that CoO is our first big chance for change. And that it isn’t right to completely overlook some of the smaller changes that we did see.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 12:18 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Back in Destiny terms, I’m not saying their couldn’t or shouldn’t have been more and better impact shown, I’m just saying that CoO is our first big chance for change. And that it isn’t right to completely overlook some of the smaller changes that we did see.

People have been making this argument since Destiny launched back in 2014: give it time. The next things will make the story better, etc.

That's a horrible argument. The story you get with each release should be satisfying on its own! Would you watch a TV show if episodes 1-9 were bad, and then be told that it's all worth it for 10? No. You'd watch a show that knows how to make each episode rewarding, yet the sum greater than the parts.

Nobody should have to look to the 'next' thing in order to get catharsis from the story. Des2ny's story was at least functional in a minimal way (enough to be 'canon'), but a far cry from being 'good'.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 12:23 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's a horrible argument. The story you get with each release should be satisfying on its own! Would you watch a TV show if episodes 1-9 were bad, and then be told that it's all worth it for 10? No. You'd watch a show that knows how to make each episode rewarding, yet the sum greater than the parts.

Well, plenty of people watched Breaking Bad, so that's definitely not true . . .

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 12:38 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

People have been making this argument since Destiny launched back in 2014: give it time. The next things will make the story better, etc.

True. But I’d also say that people have been right. :)

My sentiments exactly, +1

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:02 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread