The one thing it can't simulate (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 21:46 (2360 days ago)

You kill a Vex mind that tells your ghost it's afraid of the one thing in the galaxy it can't simulate: your light.

But the grimoire cards clearly state that the Vex cannot simulate Oryx and sword logic.

So… we have a contradiction. Either that or the darkness and light are actually the same thing or something. Or maybe it's a retcon.

The one thing it can't simulate

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 22:40 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You kill a Vex mind that tells your ghost it's afraid of the one thing in the galaxy it can't simulate: your light.

But the grimoire cards clearly state that the Vex cannot simulate Oryx and sword logic.

So… we have a contradiction. Either that or the darkness and light are actually the same thing or something. Or maybe it's a retcon.

I remember Failsafe telling me that the vex call guardians "Those who wield that which cannot be simulated" but I don't recall a mention of it being the only thing they can't simulate.

Maybe the vex actually suck at simulations, which is why we beat them constantly. That would be a funny twist.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 17, 2017, 01:55 (2359 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I remember Failsafe telling me that the vex call guardians "Those who wield that which cannot be simulated" but I don't recall a mention of it being the only thing they can't simulate.

It's said in the mission where you have to hop from electrified platform to electrified platform on Nessus. Your ghost says that the dying mind told it that it's afraid of the only thing it can't simulate.

by Kahzgul, Friday, November 17, 2017, 10:54 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's said in the mission where you have to hop from electrified platform to electrified platform on Nessus. Your ghost says that the dying mind told it that it's afraid of the only thing it can't simulate.

Ahh okay. I missed that line.

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, November 17, 2017, 00:15 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Two points of potential significance. Both the darkness and the light have been referred to as paracausal. So...yes there may be a connection.

Secondly, the Vex were at least able to reproduce the paracausal nature of the darkness by observing the Hive and subsequently worshipping the worms. Though they may not be able to simulate it they at least have some level of understanding of it, which is more than can be said of the light.

+1

by TheOmegaClown, Friday, November 17, 2017, 05:19 (2359 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

...is love.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 17, 2017, 04:17 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody. I'm gonna need you to go ahead and do a Brokeback Mountain style trailer for a Vex mind/Guardian romance movie.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 17, 2017, 05:50 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There are two underlying assumptions in your logic there:

1) The Vex minds are all-sharing between each other. You're assuming the Mind that tried to simulate Oryx shared his findings enough for this particular Mind in Nessus to know about them.

As far as assumptions go, that used to be one of mine too, until this 'contradiction'.

2) The Vex actually used the term Light and Failsafe didn't 'translate' anything before telling you. The Vex might have actually used a term which does in fact easily describe both the Light and Darkness without getting into the "the Darkness is the Light" debate. As it was pointed out above, both are described as paracausal in multiple instances, both are "granted by gods", etc.

This one is pretty easy to reconcile with the lore without breaking anything at all, IMO.

Now, if we were discussing the intent of the writer of that line, as opposed to whether it punches a hole into the lore or not, I do believe he/she might have forgotten about the Book of Sorrows. Hell, he/she might've even not read it at all.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, November 17, 2017, 06:55 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

doesn't the ghost say that the shard in the EDZ is dark, or the light is gone from it or something along those lines?

simplest answer is that the light and darkness are like the Force. 2 sides to the same coin, which is why the Vex cannot simulate it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, November 17, 2017, 08:07 (2359 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

There's one shard that is split between Light and Darkness and our Ghost will make some comment like how it is strange that the two exist together and how we still don't know a lot about the Traveler and the Darkness.

by Robot Chickens, Friday, November 17, 2017, 10:32 (2359 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

simplest answer is that the light and darkness are like the Force. 2 sides to the same coin, which is why the Vex cannot simulate it.

Can't wait until we get Sith Guardians with double bladed raze-lighters. Also, maybe Bungie will finally top "to war" as their worst dialogue moment with something like this:

[image]

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Friday, November 17, 2017, 11:59 (2359 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Can't wait until we get Sith Guardians with double bladed raze-lighters. Also, maybe Bungie will finally top "to war" as their worst dialogue moment with something like this:

[image]

I agree, I am evil. (small 'e'). Certainly, everyone who keeps killing me in the crucible is Evil.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, November 17, 2017, 08:22 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe Light and Dark are both the "same stuff", just in opposite directions. Light = positive numbers, Darkness = negative numbers. Both are "space magic" and that's what cannot be simulated.

Also, who says the Vex mind was telling the truth with it's dying [breath/computation?]?

Because they are the same/opposite sides of the same coin

by Durandal, Friday, November 17, 2017, 11:02 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've always assumed that Light/Dark are the same, just opposite sides of a higher space magic form. The Traveler and the Darkness both come from the same trippy dimension mentioned in the Dreams of Alpha Lupi cards. This makes ours and Oryx's powers similar in the Vex's view.

Because they are the same/opposite sides of the same coin

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, November 17, 2017, 13:40 (2359 days ago) @ Durandal

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread