Exp throttling (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 20, 2017, 10:36 (2356 days ago)

So, it appears Des2ny throttles your exp if you earn too much too fast:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7adxjf/lets_talk_about_the_xp_cooldown/?st=ja8iydkh&sh=6672cae6

You already know how I feel about this so I will spare you.

The issue is of competence really. For those who don't know, Bungie got a lot of advice from Blizzard, particularly the Diablo 3 team, about how to do loot games. One of the things that was figured out very quickly in WoW, was that people hate to feel punished. WoW used to penalize your exp gain if you played too much. People hated that. So instead, they gave you bonus exp if you haven't played in a while. The goal was the same: keep players from playing too much, but one felt like a reward, the other like a punishment.

So… why do this? It's well known this is a bad idea. Maybe they thought that by hiding it it'd be better…

Why would you even need to throttle exp? What do you get with exp? Bright engrams? And what do bright engrams get you? Things you can buy… ohhhhhhh.

D2 = Anti-Fun

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:21 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just par for the course currently.

Activision: At least we're not EA

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:25 (2356 days ago) @ unoudid

Seems that these two juggernauts are in a race to the bottom right now.

Man, how can I blame this on pre-orders? There's got to be a way...

So for the average player, there is no net change...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:40 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And it's strictly for cosmetic items. Sounds like a win/win for the average player who likely only gets a few Bright engrams a week.

If it was for anything besides cosmetic items, there might be a problem. But it's not, since non-cosmetic items are tied to Tokens and specific milestones.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:41 (2356 days ago) @ Korny

If it was for anything besides cosmetic items, there might be a problem. But it's not, since non-cosmetic items are tied to Tokens and specific milestones.

You also get Mods in those bright engrams. So it's more than just cosmetic items

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:46 (2356 days ago) @ unoudid

You also get Mods in those bright engrams. So it's more than just cosmetic items

Except you can buy far more mods with the glimmer that you earn between those engrams. If you're playing so much that you hit the throttle trigger, then you've likely earned enough glimmer to make Mods a non-issue (and the rate at which you earn glimmer is unaffected). And as we've long-since established, the blue mods are borderline useless; they mostly just serve to help create Purple mods.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 20, 2017, 12:20 (2356 days ago) @ Korny

And it's strictly for cosmetic items. Sounds like a win/win for the average player who likely only gets a few Bright engrams a week.

Who would care most about cosmetics? The casuals or the hardcore?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 20, 2017, 12:36 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Who would care most about cosmetics? The casuals or the hardcore?

Both? Everyone loves cosmetics.

"It doesn't affect me so it's not a problem"

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 13:16 (2356 days ago) @ Korny

That's a terrible argument.

You probably weren't affected by the loot RNG preventing you from having enough light to do hardmode VoG before CE came out, but I was, and it SUCKED. It was an awful problem. And it doesn't matter that it didn't affect 99.99% of players because for that 0.01% who were affected, it was horrible.

Edge cases matter, and I would hope that anyone interested in fairness and justice would stand up for every case, not simply the cases which affect only them.

"It doesn't affect anyone so it's not a problem"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 20, 2017, 13:23 (2356 days ago) @ Kahzgul

And not the one I'm making. It's an issue about cosmetics, and it's likely representative of the vast majority of D2's playerbase.

You probably weren't affected by the loot RNG preventing you from having enough light to do hardmode VoG before CE came out, but I was, and it SUCKED. It was an awful problem. And it doesn't matter that it didn't affect 99.99% of players because for that 0.01% who were affected, it was horrible.

And again, that was not about cosmetics, this is. Nobody is at a disadvantage because of a game's cosmetics. "But but, Mods aren't cosmetic!" Someone who plays the game more will always have more mods than someone who only gets the three boosted Engrams per week. It's a dumb argument by default, since someone who plays less will, by that same token, have less of everything than a hardcore player.

Edge cases matter, and I would hope that anyone interested in fairness and justice would stand up for every case, not simply the cases which affect only them.

You can't make everyone happy. If they can make "99.99% of players" happy, then I call that an incredible success.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, November 20, 2017, 13:36 (2356 days ago) @ Korny

You can't make everyone happy. If they can make "99.99% of players" happy, then I call that an incredible success.

With D2 they've tried to cater to the 99% and ended up making a game that is just not fun. While they may have made the 99% happy, they killed the game for the 1% that was most vocal in promoting the game and the 1% who played the game the most.

I like to put twitch streams on in the background while I'm at work and nearly everyone I follow is playing Fortnite right now. Usually these people would be streaming trials nonstop.

I hate to say it, but as of right now I wouldn't recommend D2 to any of my IRL friends or coworkers who are looking for a new game to start.

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 13:44 (2356 days ago) @ unoudid

With D2 they've tried to cater to the 99% and ended up making a game that is just not fun. While they may have made the 99% happy, they killed the game for the 1% that was most vocal in promoting the game and the 1% who played the game the most.

I like to put twitch streams on in the background while I'm at work and nearly everyone I follow is playing Fortnite right now. Usually these people would be streaming trials nonstop.

I hate to say it, but as of right now I wouldn't recommend D2 to any of my IRL friends or coworkers who are looking for a new game to start.

At least in my case, its primary launch content drought. The game is absolutely more fun than D1 (as a platform) ever was. However, its missing the larger volume of content D2 had amassed by the time TTK came out. If we had post TTK levels of content on top of D2's platform, I'd be way more inclined to play D2 than I ever was to play D1.

Having .1% of D2's player base be unhappy, even if they were the most faithful and vocal of D1's players, means absolutely nothing. Why they were faithful toward a crap game (my opinion, of course) that didn't deserve that faithfulness is no reason to say that D2's positive changes weren't worth making.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:04 (2356 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

At least in my case, its primary launch content drought. The game is absolutely more fun than D1 (as a platform) ever was. However, its missing the larger volume of content D2 had amassed by the time TTK came out. If we had post TTK levels of content on top of D2's platform, I'd be way more inclined to play D2 than I ever was to play D1.

I wouldn't call it a launch drought (even though there is one to an extent). Any positive changes they made past TTK was essentially abandoned in D2. The game as a whole has taken a huge step backward. The vault system is a joke.. why are there more mods and shaders than you can actually carry? Any positives they added past TTK was ignored for the creation of D2. Heck, weapon archetypes have also reverted to where they were at for TTK.

Having .1% of D2's player base be unhappy, even if they were the most faithful and vocal of D1's players, means absolutely nothing. Why they were faithful toward a crap game (my opinion, of course) that didn't deserve that faithfulness is no reason to say that D2's positive changes weren't worth making.

The whole "friendships are the end game" statement that Deej made comes to mind here. In D1 even though the game was broken in many ways, you could still team up with 5 other friends and run raids and crucible together with no worries about having to kick someone from your group to change activities. This is just a bad decision by Bungie with how they approached D2.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:54 (2356 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

At least in my case, its primary launch content drought.

This doesn't bother me the way it did with Destiny. There, not having cool things to do was a problem because you had to do things over and over to progress, playing the same old shit. With Des2ny you don't have to grind at all. So you run through the content, and you can just stop. It's a drought in the sense that any other single player game has a drought once you play every level i.e. not a problem at all.

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:06 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This doesn't bother me the way it did with Destiny. There, not having cool things to do was a problem because you had to do things over and over to progress, playing the same old shit. With Des2ny you don't have to grind at all. So you run through the content, and you can just stop. It's a drought in the sense that any other single player game has a drought once you play every level i.e. not a problem at all.

Valid. What I mean to say is, there's not enough variety of content to make me feel like sticking around and continuing to play. If there were, I might. But that's not a fault, just a circumstance of what it is and where we are at in the release cycle.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:38 (2356 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Valid. What I mean to say is, there's not enough variety of content to make me feel like sticking around and continuing to play. If there were, I might. But that's not a fault, just a circumstance of what it is and where we are at in the release cycle.

I guess that’s what I’m getting at. What really is the value in having a game you continually play? What is the price paid in terms of game design by creating such a game?

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:44 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I guess that’s what I’m getting at. What really is the value in having a game you continually play? What is the price paid in terms of game design by creating such a game?

Games like this live and die by the community they foster. Having a rabid fan base sells more expansions and gives you a wider marketplace for microgambling.

For the gamer, it's fun to compare your progress with other players'. It both gives you something to aspire to and lets you feel accomplished.

Of course, making all content easily accessible negates both of those, as does gating all content simply behind RNG. You aren't accomplished if everyone has something, and you aren't accomplished if the only prerequisite to get something is luck.

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:56 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd agree that more often that not, such systems are a detriment; I'm definitely not arguing for the inclusion of mechanics that keep you engaged. I think we're in agreement on these points. All I'm noting is that, were there more quality content, there might be enough variety for the repetition to be masked enough for me to desire playing more frequently. As it stands, it does not, but I'm not complaining about that either. I've got plenty of other games begging for my time. XD

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, November 20, 2017, 16:03 (2356 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

As it stands, it does not, but I'm not complaining about that either. I've got plenty of other games begging for my time. XD

It's funny, as much as I'm disappointed with how D2 is right now. I'm pretty happy that D2 broke the D1 grinding way of life. I've been able to be way more productive in life now that I'm not playing Destiny all the time.

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 16:13 (2356 days ago) @ unoudid

As it stands, it does not, but I'm not complaining about that either. I've got plenty of other games begging for my time. XD

It's funny, as much as I'm disappointed with how D2 is right now. I'm pretty happy that D2 broke the D1 grinding way of life. I've been able to be way more productive in life now that I'm not playing Destiny all the time.

I think this is why, in the end, the changes are for the better. You're playing less so your life is more productive, I'm playing about as much as before, but I'm happier because it's because I'm satisfied rather than dissatisfied. Still, it'll be up to future content drops to keep the game fresh and we'll see how well it pans out in the long run. Judgement reserved.

+1

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 13:13 (2355 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

by ProbablyLast, Monday, November 20, 2017, 19:06 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It’s also not a problem because people actually wanted to play Destiny 1 and had fun. Clearly not an issue now.

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 13:40 (2356 days ago) @ Korny

And not the one I'm making. It's an issue about cosmetics, and it's likely representative of the vast majority of D2's playerbase.

And again, that was not about cosmetics, this is. Nobody is at a disadvantage because of a game's cosmetics. "But but, Mods aren't cosmetic!" Someone who plays the game more will always have more mods than someone who only gets the three boosted Engrams per week. It's a dumb argument by default, since someone who plays less will, by that same token, have less of everything than a hardcore player.

This isn't about cosmetics. It's about lying to the players about your game's mechanics.

I would be surprised if 99.99% of players were made happy by being lied to.

"I can come up with an opposing side to the issue"

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 13:41 (2356 days ago) @ Kahzgul

-Korny's mantra before bed every night.

You're in rare form today

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:03 (2356 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:10 (2356 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Korny, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:13

Heh, while I could play Devil's advocate to any debate if I was forced to, it doesn't really have to do with me trying to be a contrarian, it's simply the willingness to sympathize (and occasionally empathize) with multiple perspectives.

In instances such as this, though, it's more about common sense. Is being given misinformation bad? Yes, and I pointed this out right away. Is the implementation of an XP bottleneck a bad thing? Not necessarily. Sure, it might not seem fair for the top 1% of Destiny players, but given the trade-off (faster initial XP gains), I'd say the vast majority of players benefit from a net gain in Bright Engram drops than they would with a set XP rate devoid of buffs.

Bungie should not cater to the 1%. The fact that this 1% includes the cancer known as "Twitch Streamers" is just icing on the cake for me...

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:34 (2356 days ago) @ Korny

Heh, while I could play Devil's advocate to any debate if I was forced to, it doesn't really have to do with me trying to be a contrarian, it's simply the willingness to sympathize (and occasionally empathize) with multiple perspectives.

In instances such as this, though, it's more about common sense. Is being given misinformation bad? Yes, and I pointed this out right away. Is the implementation of an XP bottleneck a bad thing? Not necessarily. Sure, it might not seem fair for the top 1% of Destiny players, but given the trade-off (faster initial XP gains), I'd say the vast majority of players benefit from a net gain in Bright Engram drops than they would with a set XP rate devoid of buffs.

Bungie should not cater to the 1%. The fact that this 1% includes the cancer known as "Twitch Streamers" is just icing on the cake for me...

You did notice that the played started getting throttled on public event number 2 after entering the EDZ, with the rested XP buff and the Fireteam Medallion buff? That's not the 1%. That's everyone.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:38 (2356 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Do we actually know what programming function is causing this? Do we have anything identifying it as purposeful and not an issue with a line of code?

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:05 (2356 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Do we actually know what programming function is causing this? Do we have anything identifying it as purposeful and not an issue with a line of code?

Even if unintentional, it'd be a massive bug that would've cheated a lot of players out of their time. Either way I'd be extremely unhappy.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:29 (2356 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I wasn't completely clear on what's happening. Does it clamp down for the 2nd big burst of XP if it is earned "too quickly" but let up again a minute or two later? If so, it still needs to be fixed, but it's not exactly a "smash your Scouter" level event.

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:59 (2356 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I wasn't completely clear on what's happening. Does it clamp down for the 2nd big burst of XP if it is earned "too quickly" but let up again a minute or two later? If so, it still needs to be fixed, but it's not exactly a "smash your Scouter" level event.

It's perhaps quite difficult to say, it'd require constant monitoring of the API reported values against the UI reported values. I'm bringing this issue up with the DIM devs now, actually, I'll see if it can't be incorporated as a feature to DIM to help investigate.

My favorite Reddit reply was:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 20, 2017, 12:18 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

WHAT!? NINE THOUSAND!? THERE’S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!

More seriously, yeah, if you are told you earned something you should actually earn it. If that’s not the case now, the game should be fixed so it is the case.

Thanks for highlighting this Cody. Probably most here would never have known about it otherwise.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 20, 2017, 12:41 (2356 days ago) @ Ragashingo

WHAT!? NINE THOUSAND!? THERE’S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!

More seriously, yeah, if you are told you earned something you should actually earn it. If that’s not the case now, the game should be fixed so it is the case.

Totally agree. If you are being given false information on what you are earning, that's a mistake that should totally be addressed. It's fine if you earn less XP the more you play, but the numbers on the screen need to reflect that.

Thanks for highlighting this Cody. Probably most here would never have known about it otherwise.

I mean, I knew about it (and even explained it to Claude), but didn't bring it up here, because it was a non-issue. If someone didn't point it out, would most people ever notice? Probably not, because it doesn't seem to affect the vast majority of Destiny players (and if the purpose was to get more people to buy Silver, you can bet they'd let us know that we could hit a bottleneck, since most people are happy with the rate that they earn Bright Engrams).

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:52 (2356 days ago) @ Korny
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, November 20, 2017, 14:56

I haven’t played in a few weeks, but when I was, I was usually “done” for the week with any given character right around the time I earn the third Bright Engram and the well rested buff ends, if I even played enough to get three Bright Engrams. Obviously the numbers shown should be accurate, but as far as what you can actually earn, this seems like a non issue.

I thought everyone hated D2 and there was nothing to grind for anyway, so I’m surprised anyone noticed . . . (:

Edit: Seems I misunderstood what the actual issue was. Seems like it’s the age old problem in Destiny with Bungie just hating players not playing the game “right” and limiting rewards. I’d be lying if I said I cared all that much, but I can understand the frustration.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread