How many of you have actually finished™ the PvE game? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:40 (2356 days ago)

I know I haven't.

I've done the campaign twice (hunter and warlock).

Finished the raid like four times, maybe?

All of the weapon missions.

Some (1/3? 3/5?) of the adventures.

I dunno why I'm thinking about Destiny so much today, but I keep seeing people talking about the "drought" of content and I know I haven't even seen all of what we do have access to. What's odd is I really like the adventures. They're interesting and mostly unique. For me, the reason they aren't compelling is that they do no, by and large, tie back into the game world at all.

Age old Destiny problem: Nothing we do matters, so why bother doing it? And with adventures, at least, I stopped bothering. I really hope that Bungie figured out that our actions making a difference would really help keep us interested in the game. Faction rallies do this a little. I hope CoO makes it a trend. The livestream showed a wall of glyphs that you unlock via activities, so it seems like it might.

How many of you have actually finished™ the PvE game?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:41 (2356 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I know I haven't.

I dunno why I'm thinking about Destiny so much today, but I keep seeing people talking about the "drought" of content and I know I haven't even seen all of what we do have access to. What's odd is I really like the adventures. They're interesting and mostly unique. For me, the reason they aren't compelling is that they do no, by and large, tie back into the game world at all.

Age old Destiny problem: Nothing we do matters, so why bother doing it? And with adventures, at least, I stopped bothering. I really hope that Bungie figured out that our actions making a difference would really help keep us interested in the game. Faction rallies do this a little. I hope CoO makes it a trend. The livestream showed a wall of glyphs that you unlock via activities, so it seems like it might.

We need a new acronym. CoO still says Court of Oryx in my mind.

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 20, 2017, 15:46 (2356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I know I haven't.

We need a new acronym. CoO still says Court of Oryx in my mind.

I think as long as we keep context in mind, we'll be okay.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 20, 2017, 17:00 (2356 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I know I haven't.

I think for me, the more time passes, the more I find that the moment-to-moment combat in D2 just isn’t as good as D1. I think D2 is a vast improvement in many ways, but while still great, the core gameplay isn’t as exciting for me. Very few of the weapons have any distinct personality, the armor perks and mods don’t change up the gameplay enough for me to care about them (if you ask me which perks I have on any of my armor, I couldn’t tell you).

I think there are many reasons for this, but the big one for me is the change to the loadout system. IMHO, the switch to Kinect/Energy/Power was a mistake. I feel far more limited in my weaponry now than I did in D1. Being able to carry an Auto Rifle and a Pulse Rifle at the same time is cool, but it simply doesn’t allow the same combat diversity as weilding an Auto Rifle and a Sniper Rifle as my primary and secondary weapons. On top of that, the selection of Power Weapons is such that there are entire classes of weapons that I never use anymore, because I simply don’t find that they justify taking up the power slot in my loadout. This sucks even more diversity out of combat for me.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 17:19 (2356 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Maybe it's an unfair comparison, but I can't stop thinking about how nothing in Destiny 2 is as fun to use as Fatebringer. Midnight Coup comes really close in terms of satisfaction (it just feels, sounds, and looks cool), but obviously lacks the fun of the elemental damage and Firefly.

I think the new weapon system is ultimately fine, but I just prefer the old system. I miss heavy machine guns, I miss being able to have a shotgun and a rocket launcher. While it may actually be more useful, I don't like that they made matching elemental damage cause shield explosions rather than just draining shields faster.

I won't say Destiny 2 is a worse game by any means, and I don't even think in any one to one comparison that it's worse, but it's a culmination of a whole bunch of little things where I prefer the way Destiny 1 was.

I dunno. It's sort of hard for me to articulate my feelings on all those little things. Destiny 1 was a game I played by myself quite a bit, and I just don't have that desire in Destiny 2. I'm not sure if that's actually the fault of anything about either game (it may just be all the amazing games I still haven't played enough of yet or at all this year). I look forward to The Curse of Osiris to bring me back, and I'm eager to start seeing whatever the live team cooks up--I think they're contributions were essential to making Destiny 1 successful, and I have no doubt they'll do it again.

No, I haven't finished. Here are my obstacles.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 07:49 (2355 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by dogcow, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 08:01

I dunno. It's sort of hard for me to articulate my feelings on all those little things. Destiny 1 was a game I played by myself quite a bit, and I just don't have that desire in Destiny 2. I'm not sure if that's actually the fault of anything about either game (it may just be all the amazing games I still haven't played enough of yet or at all this year). I look forward to The Curse of Osiris to bring me back, and I'm eager to start seeing whatever the live team cooks up--I think they're contributions were essential to making Destiny 1 successful, and I have no doubt they'll do it again.

I lost that desire by the time Rise of Iron showed up. It started with The Taken King for me. Perhaps it's the new way they've questified things, like it doesn't click w/ me, I dunno for sure either.

With Rise it was "Oh, there's things to do other than the raid & strikes? I don't really care to do those. It just don't sound fun to me." Plus, it wasn't apparent what I needed to do to trigger/start these extra quests.

I haven't played D2 in ages...

With D2 I've played the raid & a couple strikes, but not all of the strikes. I'm not sure because I can't choose a specific strike from the director, so I don't even know what they all are. Is there one the strike playlist hasn't given me due to RNG? There must be as I can only remember 1 strike that I've played. I really don't like how I have to rely on the hopper/playlist to choose what strike I'm going to play.

Also, Lost Sectors & Cayde's treasures & whatever else there is like those that I'm missing... (I'm not even sure what all there is & how they work). Why should I care about those? For a box of loot? Sorry Bungie/Cayde, unlike those guardians in the trailer loot isn't a motivator for me. Give me a some story explaining why I should care about running one of those and I'll be more interested.

I guess their attempt at making the "extra things to do" blend with part of the world has made them unattractive to me. They just don't attract me or pull me in.

Perhaps some of it is because I kind of lost my fireteam. I wanted to run through the story mission once by myself. When I has finished I rarely saw my "fireteam" on when I was, and when they were they had a different task-list than I did, so that was demotivating too. Plus, it would require actual out-of-game work to join up & play with them.

</unstructured posting of thoughts>

Basically, yeah.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, November 20, 2017, 18:56 (2356 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I have all of the one good weapon, beat the campaign, ran enough side missions (can’t even remember what they’re called) to hate Funkmon for liking them. Ran one strike and fell asleep in the middle of it.

Obviously this version of Destiny isn’t for me. Oh well.

Would love to replay the campaign...

by Oholiab @, Monday, November 20, 2017, 22:07 (2355 days ago) @ Kahzgul

...in order!

Or for that matter - in ANY order. I’m just not understanding why one cannot simply select a mission to replay. So the PVE content that I would must like to play is limited. I’m going to assume that I don’t understand because I’m not a game designer, but I would love to know the thinking behind the decision to implement campaign replays as they currently exist.

I just finished the Adventures tonight. I really enjoyed them, and will probably replay a few.

I have yet to do the raid, but it’s not a high priority. Can it be done in one sitting?

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 01:21 (2355 days ago) @ Oholiab

...in order!

Or for that matter - in ANY order. I’m just not understanding why one cannot simply select a mission to replay. So the PVE content that I would must like to play is limited. I’m going to assume that I don’t understand because I’m not a game designer, but I would love to know the thinking behind the decision to implement campaign replays as they currently exist.

You can only replay the whole thing in order by making a new character, I believe.

I just finished the Adventures tonight. I really enjoyed them, and will probably replay a few.

How do you replay them? I wasn't aware that was possible.

I have yet to do the raid, but it’s not a high priority. Can it be done in one sitting?

If you go in blind, one sitting would be very hard. If you read all the strats before hand, it should be possible (4-6 hours?), and if you go with a fireteam that knows what's up and can carry you, you're looking at under 2 hours.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 02:50 (2355 days ago) @ Kahzgul

How do you replay them? I wasn't aware that was possible.

If you complete all the Adventures in a destination, you can talk to that destination's vendor and see a stock of four(?) random adventures to replay.

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 07:21 (2355 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I believe those are weekly, so if you grab those 4, you should see 4 new (random, so maybe overlapping) ones the next week -- they don't invalidate the ones you "took" that show up again, so even if you don't play them but you think you might sometime, it's worth picking them up. Assuming it won't drive you nuts to see them on your overhead map.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 07:31 (2355 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It’s a roundabout system. It is doubly strange since Destiny had the old quests kiosk which let you replay anything. Why break what was working?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 07:54 (2355 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It’s a roundabout system. It is doubly strange since Destiny had the old quests kiosk which let you replay anything. Why break what was working?

Neither of those* work for me. I want an "out-of-game" list of things to do. By that I mean a way to view and select them through the director.

*Neither of those meaning --
D2 way: visiting the planet vendor.
D1 way: visiting the kiosk in the tower.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 08:05 (2355 days ago) @ dogcow

Neither of those* work for me. I want an "out-of-game" list of things to do. By that I mean a way to view and select them through the director.

*Neither of those meaning --
D2 way: visiting the planet vendor.
D1 way: visiting the kiosk in the tower.

Well, I’m sure they could just have left the icon in the director and greyed it out once you complete it. You can then reselect it if you want, and you can easily see which ones you haven’t done.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread